“Not very impressed”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rt. 2
Transit: Mountain Explorer
Description: Located on the access road to the Sunday River Ski Resort, the Sunday River Brewing Company offers a fun, casual atmosphere with an eclectic mix of locals, tourists and craft beer drinkers. We are open 7 days a week at 6 AM, specializing in mouth-watering burgers,artisan-fired pizza and fresh DONUTS made everyday. Our menu offers a wide variety of sandwiches, salads and pasta favorites, all served in a family friendly atmosphere.
“Not very impressed”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We love to visit local brewing companies when we travel. So we stopped into Sunday River brewing company to pick up some local libations. It was after a long day of hiking and we just wanted to get a couple of growlers to take home and enjoy. Guess what? "We are out of growlers. It's before the season." We visited at the end of June. When were you planning on getting ready for the summer season? Put out, we settled for a sampler so the visit wouldn't be a total bust. The brews were standard and average. Their seasonal wasn't even that impressive. Did I mention they were out of the other seasonal. If we are ever back in the area, we won't waste our time stopping back.

Visited June 2014

southern NH
“A quiet visit”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We visited this restaurant during what the locals call, "Mud Season" We enjoyed great sandwiches made at lunch time and we loved visiting with other guests who live in the area. The bartender was friendly and helped us select just the right beer! We had a great lunch with good service.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank tltallen
Arlington, Virginia
“Low key spot, decent food”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I had just come back from a hike of Mt. Wills and stopped by this restaurant for an early dinner. The place reminded me of a local bar, with most of the folks seated at the bar watching sports on the TVs. Our service was fine, and the food was tasty. Nothing spectacular but the food was decent. My husband enjoyed his burger, and I enjoyed my sweet potato fries and Italian sausage. My husband had their beers as well and he liked them. We liked that it was a low key spot, where we could grab a bite.

• Visited May 2014
Fairfield, Maine
“Best Burger in the Valley”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Sunday River Brewing Company is about a two minute drive from the base of Sunday Mountain Ski Resort and is one of the few places open year near the mountain around to eat. This was my first trip to the restaurant and having just finished up the Though Mountain Challenge hours before I can say I was starving and ready for a good comforting meal and that is exactly what I got. I can not say the same for the host. He was not comforting at all....in fact he was kind of rude and had the personality of a Wal-Mart Greeter. No smile's, no Hello, just a blank stoned out stare and "How many in your party, two, okay well it will be at least thirty minutes". Thankfully it wasn't that long of a wait and after about fifteen minutes we were seated by Mr. Happy-pants. Our waitress thank god was chipper and cheerful and genuinely seemed to like her job and was able to suggest and recommend items on the menu. The menu itself is not very big and actually only has three everyday entrees. The focus of the menu is more on finger foods, sandwiches and Burgers. That's not a bad thing because the burgers here are pretty damn good, probably one of the best I have had in a long time in Maine or elsewhere. The menu says they are blended in house with ground chuck and brisket and because of this are guaranteed to stay moist no matter how you want them cooked although medium is suggested. There are specialty burgers or you can create your own. Simone and I started with Bacon Cheese Fries for an appetizer. And to wash it down with I went with the house brewed Sunday River Blonde Beer. The beer was smooth and refreshing and I had more then one refill. The Fries are cut in house then topped with a cheese sauce blend and their own house smoked bacon chunks. The fries were cooked perfectly. Sometimes a fresh fry can be a little soggy, especially when adding cheese but these held up under the pressure and each fry was as crispy as the next. I almost had a second portion but I knew I had a burger on the way. My burger choice was The Stella Blue. Two fresh Patties seasoned with a generous amount of ground pepper, griddled and topped with a heap of rich blue cheese, sauteed sweet onions and house cured bacon with a slice of lettuce and tomato. The bun tasted and fresh and was dense enough that it soaked up juices from the moist patty and didn't fall apart. The burger stayed moist throughout, and you could taste everything without one ingredient being overpowering. It was really an amazing burger. I had it with a side of broccoli to try and be healthy and that was surprisingly very good also with a buttery garlicky flavor. Simone created her own burger, with one patty, Cheddar cheese, mushrooms, onions, and pickles. For her side she choose the pasta salad which was your basic mayo based with peas onions and some other veggies. She enjoyed her burger and side as much as I did mine but did wish there had been a few more mushrooms on the burger. She was so hungry that she managed to finish it all (I was so proud) and still have room for dessert. And for the finale went with a chocolate Lave Cake al mode style. A moist dense rich brownie like hunk of cake, still a little gooey in the center topped with vanilla Ice cream. Simple and divine. This meal was so good, I imagine the restaurant must be packed with people in the winter. I will definitely visit again for the best burger that I have had in Maine.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank FishFreeReview
“Awful”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Used to come here all the time for a beer and a snack.. The last few times my husband and I have been it's been nothing but local/employees partying and acting less than accommodating and professional. Don't know if we will ever return or recommend! A real let down of what used to be a great place...two thumbs down!!

2 Thank Hardworker28