“Beautiful Area, Charming Inn”
Review of Chapman Inn

and 1 more site!
Chapman Inn
Ranked #7 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at the Chapman! Gracious innkeepers and a hearty breakfast, all at reasonable rates. I cannot wait to come back! The French toast and custom roasted coffee will start any day off right!

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed over parrothead weekend and was exactly what we were looking for. The innkeepers are incredibly friendly, great character and the price cannot be beat anywhere in the area, especially with the phenomenal breakfast included. So good, I came back up by myself two weekends later for sunday river's closing weekend and asked to stay in the dorm. Understandably so, the dorm was closed for the season cause did not make economical sense to heat entire place so offered me a great deal for my own room and private bathroom. The breakfast is really what makes it and all included. All meals are made to order with some of the best french toast I have ever had and delicious homemade blueberry muffins. Definitely would recommend it. Great stays both times and I will be back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2013

When we arrived we were a bit dissappointed, however when we settled in the Inn was quite pleasant and a real bargain. The most impressive feature were the owners; they were very helpful, made you feel at home and made our stay. Fred made the breakfasts and they were super good. The omlettes were great and we particularly enjoyed the French Toast. Fred even hosted a cooking session to train us on proper omlette preparation.

The Inn could use a little renovation, but for the price it was great. We met other guests who were really friendly and sociable. We would stay here again to ski Sunday River.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
fred n, Owner at Chapman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thanks for your nice comments. Just remember, make sure the pan is HOT, and your omelettes will come out perfect every time. Per your suggestions, we have started a major renovation on the inn, fresh paint and professionally landscaped, and a myriad of other projects. You might not recognize it when you come back!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I and our two dogs stayed at Chapmen Inn for one week in late February. We had a great time. We needed to get away, relax and ski and hang out with our aging dogs. It was the perfect place. The Inn is located on the town square and it was quiet. We stayed in the two room unit and did use the kitchen a few nights for light dinners. The bed was very comfortable. The living room and dining area were very welcoming with comfortable seating in front of the fire place. Fred and Sandra were terrific. Fred cooks up a great breakfast. Other guests were really nice. As other reviewers have mentioned, Chapman Inn is old so don't expect luxury accommodations . But, if you want to amble up to Maine, chill out, enjoy the charm of an old town and old home, go home renewed and refreshed, this is the place. It worked for us.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed here because of good reviews and were so disappointed. I'd guess because so many of the visitors are groups of high school and college kids, the place has sub-par repairs. Broken wood around the room and a partial broken frame around the bathroom full mirror, peeling wallpaper, cords hanging unattractively, poor lighting, old junkyard decor, old lumpy mattress, mildew, tiny no-pressure shower (no bath), paper-thin walls. I could hear my husband talking normally on his phone in our upstairs, around the corner , door-closed room when I was in the downstairs living room. Only one 3-prong electrical outlet, and you had to unplug the TV to use it. The color scheme is a garish purple, on purple, on purple. Some may think it quaint; it assaulted my eyes.

We thought the owners pleasant and and anxious & willing to accommodate hearty breakfast eaters. However, the famous blueberry muffins on the table were so burned I would not have served them to guests. I thought my omelette was terrible, though other may like thick, overcooked eggs around very few veggie fillings. We think teens and young people would like it, or families with kids. Certainly not a place for adults with higher standards. A nice book selection, though, and convenient to Sunday River.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TumblinSun
fred n, Owner at Chapman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you for your input. While almost all of our reviews are very positive, we are sorry you did not enjoy your experience. It is true that after a long ski season, we do get a few nicks here and there, but we do make good use of our down time to address them. Most people complement our decorations, and it seems as if every one raves about our breakfast, but not everyone has the same tastes. All of our mattresses are less than two years old, so I don't understand how they can be uncomfortable. I do however, somewhat resent the fact that you insulted our guests. During ski season, a lot of people do like to travel as families, and if that includes their high school and college students, more power to them, and I found it very interesting that although you describe yourself as discerning adults, you posted a photo of your husband laying on the bed with his boots on. In any case, we thank you for your comments, and will address them as soon as posssible.
Sincerely
Fred & Sandra

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We visited the Chapman Inn in early November 2012. The Inn is absolutely perfect. The owners are the sweetest and friendliest couple you could ever hope to meet. The rooms themselves are spacious with comfortable beds (I slept like a log) with very homely decorations. The breakfast in the morning was outrageously good with delicious coffee, freshly-baked blueberry muffins, omelettes made to order and freshly-squeezed juices. The incredibly friendly Fred told us about the area and told some very funny stories. Overall, a really lovely place with a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Just spent a weekend with my teenage son skiing at Sunday River in Maine. We stayed at the Chapmann Inn and had a great time. (We've been there a few times before over the course of over a decade.) Innkeepers Fred and Sandra are friendly and welcoming. Standout feature is a full hot breakfast, not only tasty but it's good to start a ski day with a belly full of solid food. I had a wild mushroom omelet today and my son had blueberry pancakes, both cooked to order. The Inn dates from the mid-19th century and is nicely decorated and very comfortable and clean. Floors slope noticeably which is part of the charm. (If you are looking for a Holiday Inn type of experience where you could be anywhere - and therefore nowhere - this is not your place!) Age of the building notwithstanding, the Wi-Fi works fine. The Inn was quiet at night despite being on a main street (OK, this is Bethel, ME, not NYC). For a budget experience, you can stay in the barn, which is a big space subdivided into semi-private sleeping areas. We did that once a while ago: a great deal for only $35 (full breakfast included), but be forewarned that if there's a large group in the barn with you, you may feel like you've crashed someone else's party.
In summary, Chapmann Inn is a great place to stay, highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Royalty Inn
The Victoria Inn
#9 of 15 in Bethel
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn
Holidae House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Chapman Inn? Share your experiences!