“Family-friendly hospitality”
Review of Chapman Inn

Chapman Inn
Ranked #7 of 16 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night mid-week and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Owner (Fred) was especially welcoming and made us, 2 adults, 2 kids, feel like family. Fred offered recommendations on the area - no disappointments. Fred's blueberry muffins are the best in the world according to my 10 year old daughter. I agree and think Fred is a talented chef. Chapman Inn was truly an enriching part of our recent road trip.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at the Chapman Inn this June on our way back from a motorcycle ride across Canada. The location is great and the 'Special Rates for Bikers' sign that our host, Fred, had apparently just put up lured us in. Bethel has many heritage buildings and you kind of know what you are in for, old rooms, Antique furnishings, creaky sloping floors etc. don't let that put you off. The rooms are clean, everything works and Mike the Mouth, Fred's dog is a softie even if he barks at first. And the breakfast? Others have commented on it and Fred is not exaggerating. It simply was the best we encountered in a month on the road and over 7,000 miles travelled coast to coast in Canada and halfway back! Oh, and the location in town can't be beaten. We recommend it!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The bed was comfy, the room was clean, and the bathroom stocked. Ok, fine. That should be expected, not a selling point. However, breakfast was heavenly. Each morning I was treated to a plate of fruit, home made white bread and banana bread, and had a choice of freshly prepared main courses. The omelets were the fluffiest things I'd ever seen, and the chef was happy to share some of his tricks along with interesting stories of his own world travels. Next time I come back through this way, this is the place I and my family will be staying.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I've stayed here as a couple on several occasions and with my sister in April 2013 for a get-away. We do a lot of traveling and she loved it. The Inn is old, but comfortable. There are a variety of rooms to chose from , some nicer than others. Keep in mind that this is a very popular ski B&B. Not fancy, but the living room fireplace can be cozy with a good book on a quiet day or night. The price is reasonable . You won't find the hearty, delicious breakfast & stay anywhere in town for the money. We've tried a few. All unique in this charming historic town. If you enjoy a good story, get another cup of that wonderful coffee and ask Fred about his many exotic travels...and the resident ghost stories( friendly I hear). The location is perfect for a good walk , many restaurants, the Bethel Inn Golf course & entertainment on weekends, bike ride, river canoeing/kyaking ,Adventure Center my son grew up enjoying...fun outdoor areas to explore like Grafton State Park for hiking and moose hunting.We spend our time in Bethel in the Spring, Summer, & Fall. Great year round get-away, & I mean from it all!

Room Tip: Check the site for all the choices. Let Fred and Sandra know what your needs are for the right fit.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at the Chapman! Gracious innkeepers and a hearty breakfast, all at reasonable rates. I cannot wait to come back! The French toast and custom roasted coffee will start any day off right!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed over parrothead weekend and was exactly what we were looking for. The innkeepers are incredibly friendly, great character and the price cannot be beat anywhere in the area, especially with the phenomenal breakfast included. So good, I came back up by myself two weekends later for sunday river's closing weekend and asked to stay in the dorm. Understandably so, the dorm was closed for the season cause did not make economical sense to heat entire place so offered me a great deal for my own room and private bathroom. The breakfast is really what makes it and all included. All meals are made to order with some of the best french toast I have ever had and delicious homemade blueberry muffins. Definitely would recommend it. Great stays both times and I will be back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2013

When we arrived we were a bit dissappointed, however when we settled in the Inn was quite pleasant and a real bargain. The most impressive feature were the owners; they were very helpful, made you feel at home and made our stay. Fred made the breakfasts and they were super good. The omlettes were great and we particularly enjoyed the French Toast. Fred even hosted a cooking session to train us on proper omlette preparation.

The Inn could use a little renovation, but for the price it was great. We met other guests who were really friendly and sociable. We would stay here again to ski Sunday River.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
fred n, Owner at Chapman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thanks for your nice comments. Just remember, make sure the pan is HOT, and your omelettes will come out perfect every time. Per your suggestions, we have started a major renovation on the inn, fresh paint and professionally landscaped, and a myriad of other projects. You might not recognize it when you come back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
20 mi away
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn
The Victoria Inn
The Victoria Inn
#9 of 16 in Bethel

Been to Chapman Inn? Share your experiences!