“Great Place!”

The Inn at the Rostay
Ranked #4 of 16 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I recently returned from a stay at the Rostay (september), and I finally found time to log on to tripadvisor to leave my review. I always read the reviews of other travelers, and I was surprised at seeing that the Rostay had received a negative review. We have stayed at the Rostay quite a few times in the last ten years, and we've always had a great holiday. The rooms are very cute, with quilts on the beds, and adorable little pillow covers. I am a clean freak, and I've never had an issue with cleanliness there. The rooms are always very neat, and tidy, and the bathrooms are always clean.
The Rostay is kind of different from other places I have stayed at. It's set up like a roadside motel, with all the privacy and convenience of such a place. That being said, it also has the ambiance and extras that you expect in a New England Bed & Breakfast. I've never seen a handmade quilt in a room anywhere except a B&B, before! The hot tub is wonderful after being outside all day, and the breakfast is terrific! Bethel is a small town, and when tourist season begins, well, there are only so many places around town that serve breakfast, and they fill up fast! How wonderful to stay at a place that offers it right there...you've GOT to try the chocolate chip pancakes! Yummy!
Bethel is a great spot. There's a ton of hiking to be done right there (not to mention a bunch of other outdoor activities), and there's alot of stuff, nearby. Mount Washington is only about half an hour away, the shops in North Conway about 45 minutes (for us girls), and the big LLBean store about two hours. It's nice because even in the busy seasons, it stays small. It's not like going into Lincoln, NH or Freeport, Me, where there's just people and stores everywhere! It's still quiet. Like you want Maine to be! Almost every fall we find a way to get to Bethel, whether for a whole week, or just a long weekend. We've stayed at the Rostay many times, and we'll definately be going back! Please don't be afraid to give this place a try! I truely think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2007

We booked this motel through their website as we were looking for a nice place to stay that wasn't overpriced. What a wonderful place the Rostay was! The room was small, yes, but decorated with tons of charm...homemade quilts, adorable pictures on the walls. The room was clean and the beds comfortable and there were windows that we could open, if desired, or one could use the air conditioner. Though not far back from the highway, we heard no traffic noise. The room had a TV, VCR and microwave and the office had an extensive collection of videos to choose from for free. The owners were not in town the two nights we stayed, but their staff member, April, was there to handle those two busy nights and she was so sweet and friendly....made us feel right at home. We were greeted by the resident dog, Ruger, a gregarious and gentle golden lab who loves to play "fetch". The breakfast served each morning in the dining room was $7.00 each and well worth it. I had coffee, juice and french toast made with thick slices of cinnamon raisin bread, then dusted with powdered sugar....and my husband had 3 huge blueberry pancakes....all of it was delicious! If we are ever back in the Bethel area, we will definitely plan to stay at the Rostay again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I have stayed at the Rostay several times a year, for quite some time now. The area has so much for one to experience all four seasons of the year, Kathy and Big Al the Rostay have done nothing short of an exceptional job at accomodating me through all of them. They have great knowledge of the area, making my stay more efficient. I love starting my day with one of Al's home cooked brakfasts, and when my daily adventure is over, I feel right at home winding down for the day having a beverage in the quiet while throwing a ball to the always willing "Ruger", the happy go lucky yellow lab who also does his part at entertaining the guests. Great place to stay, check it out if your going on vacation or just passing through, I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Stayed there one night. Never again!!
Rooms were not clean! Sheets were stained, towells were dirty and stained, blankets were old and worn out, caterpillars on the table - not wiped. Shower curtain blood stained, yuk!!

Beds were really uncomfortable, I mean, really uncomfortable and noisy! Location was noisy next to highway and fire pit. Heating did not work - or was not turned on, on a cold night. Didn't even provide a simple coffee-maker. Way overpriced - cheap nasty motel without the cheap price tag!! Had to park far from the room.

Then there was the owner...really abrupt and really rude!! Treated us very badly, hence the bad review. What a bad experience with a very grouchy man! Only wants your money and lots of it! Doesn't care if your satisfied!! He has no business being in the motel business..couldn't care less if you're satisfied once he has your money!

Will never go back, and neither should you!! Very unsettling!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank WinnipegDawg
Reviewed 2 October 2007

This is my third time staying at the Rostay in 2 years. I would never stay anywhere else in Maine. The rooms are all very clean and nicely decorated. Kathy and Al, the owners are very friendly and helpful with anything we needed from directions to eating,shopping and where to find moose. The breakfasts are the best around and Al makes a great waiter/cook. The pool and hot tub were always very clean and enjoyable. Everytime we stayed we asked for a different room because they are all decorated with a different theme. We will be back...for sure!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skipingo
Reviewed 2 October 2007

This was my 5th year staying at The Inn at Rostay. I have traveled with a group of friends, and every time I call to make my reservations, Kathy remembers who I am. Upon arrival you are greeted pleasantly and with a smile. The rooms are always pleasant, clean and well decorated. Kathy and Al make a special point to make us feel at home and even bring us extra firewood for the fire pit where we spend nights hanging out. That is after sitting in the hot tub for a while. The breakfast is great and you will not leave the table hungry. YUMMY pancakes! If you are in Bethel and you want to stay at a friendly place at a reasonable price stay at The Inn at Rostay.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2007

We are first time customers, however my brother and friends have been going to the Inn for 5-6 years now. They had told us the owners were wonderful and the Inn is great. That is what we found when we got there. Al and Kathy the owners were polite, kind and very helpful. The breakfast they cooked for us each morning at a very reasonable price was delicious! The rooms and grounds were clean. The owners even provided wood enough for us to use the fire pit the two nights we were there. It was a very relaxing enjoyable weekend with family and friends and we can't wait to do it again next year!

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
The Bethel Inn Resort
#1 of 7 in Gorham
River View Resort
River View Resort
#14 of 16 in Bethel

Been to The Inn at the Rostay? Share your experiences!