“Keep on driving past this "Resort!"”

The Bethel Inn Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bethel
Alamo, California
“Keep on driving past this "Resort!"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Calling this place a resort is a huge stretch of the imagination. True, there is a golf course behind it (cart path is a gravel road), and the "spa" is a room that shows a picture of massage hands on the door, and if you're into playing corn hole, then maybe it's your kind of resort! Rooms are comparable to a Motel 6 at best! Stains on the carpet, old decorations, etc. Went into the "town" and absolutely everything was closed, except for the Shop 'N Save, where the locals look annoyed that you are taking up space in the aisles. Nothing to do there, no shops of any interest, and no personality to this "resort," which I think is the largest building in town. Keep on driving until you get to the next town!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Emptynst
BethelInn, General Manager at The Bethel Inn Resort, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
We are truly sorry that you could not enjoy our 200 acres of resort activities including championship golf, our Health Club with year-round outdoor pool (heated to 90 degrees in the winter!), saunas, workout room, tennis, lake house with canoes and kayaks, 35 km of groomed cross country ski trails, complete spa services, and, yes, a variety of lawn games, including “Cornhole”. Of course, the resort and town of Bethel itself can be pretty quiet after Columbus Day, a very hectic summer season and before the onslaught of thousands of skiing guests during the winter. I would urge you to visit bethelmaine.com to see the many activities available in the area in both the summer and winter seasons. See also the “Love the Bethel Inn…” review, above.

Many folks relish the quiet season here but we suggest you try our resort and the Bethel area at any time other than late fall and “mud season” in April… you will find plenty to do and will completely enjoy the hospitality of one of Maine’s great vacation areas.

Allen Connors, Managing Partner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Bethel Inn and Resort is more expensive than where I usually stay. Since it was Columbus Day weekend and Gould Academy Parent's Weekend the rooms were going fast so I chose to stay here. The room was nasty, I did not want my feet to touch the carpet in my room. I think my child's dorm room is better. I booked my room online and didn't know I was supposed to call for a reservation to get the Gould parent's discount. I had to be very assertive to convince the front desk to get my discount when I checked out, and in the end I saved $200 for the three nights. I did participate in a 9 hole scramble charity golf tournament, and I enjoyed the golf course there. Also the brunch buffet on Sunday morning was excellent and worth the $14.95.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hinesburg, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Three days and two nights at the Bethel Inn with an all inclusive package that featured two full days of exceptional golf instruction was the highlight of the fall for me! Cool sunny days on the golf course with Harry Andrews improved my golf game enormously- he was an outstanding teacher and when I returned to my home course I found that I was able to better manage and improve on my short game. Harry's patient and skillful coaching improved my golf game overall and despite the hard work, we managed a lot of good natured banter and humor. The food was excellent and the service was efficient and very friendly....I'd go back in a heartbeat and have already recommended Harry and the Inn's service to several friends! Gail

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have rated the Bethel Inn as "average", but since it aspires to be very nice, this rating needs to be seen as below-average.

The Bethel Inn lacks a soul. It is a business run by someone (I have no idea whom,) who saves his or her pennies and doesn't really care about the guest. What turned me off most was the furnishings in the room. I checked out half the rooms in the place, trying to find a nice room, and every room was furnished with what looked like used motel furniture. It was kind of crummy and kind of old. Moreover, each room communicated total indifference: yes, there was a bed, a table, a couch, etc., but it was stuff floating in an empty room. There was no interior decoration, no personal touch, no soul. Whoever owns the Bethel Inn should not be in the hospitality business.

The dining room is nice, however. The food is good and the service was fine. At breakfast, however, they piped in "classy" piano music that sounded like the soundtrack for a made-for-TV drama. The lack of aesthetic taste was further evident from the dining room vista: pine trees had been planted in the wrong place, and they blocked the view, and there was a golf cart parking lot just under the window. Again, somebody here just doesn't understand good living.

Maintenance is clearly a problem, although I don't blame them too much for this one. They aren't doing a lot of business, and the maintenance costs must be a killer. If you look closely you can see the building is falling apart. The red carpet on the front porch covers rotten floor boards, and the attic dormer windows are falling apart.

They are also pretty sharp when it comes to charges. They require 2-week (!) pre-cancellation for a refund. Also if they make any verbal commitments for discounts, I recommend getting it in writing, otherwise they might not be remembered at checkout.

I have been skiing in Bethel for years, and I know that the presence of the Bethel Inn adds real charm to the town. I recommend going there for dinner. But I can't recommend it for overnight.

Room Tip: There really isn't an excellent room in the Inn (in the historic main building.) Rooms are consi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ATLprofessor
Phoenix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week traveling Maine thinking my last night $300 splurge at this place would be the ultimate cap on great vacation. I left without staying the night... It was that bad. Management was great about refunding, and even trying to find us a better room, but when one other reviewer said its old, rundown, out of date and overpriced, he was on the money. I have never taken time to review on here before but I don't want anyone to be trapped into that. I ended up at the summit on Sunday river for half the price and nicer by far. Granted its not a luxury resort but if you think bethel inn is, you are sooooo mistaken. Seriously, the smell was horrendous antiseptic spray covering smoky musty. The beds were awful you would squeak with every movement, old dirty spreads. Like I said I couldn't stay and the mgr was nice and professional in refunding. Don't go there. Stay in the mountains at the summit that's where the Sunday river scenery is anyway.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mfranklin104
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The Bethel Inn is absolutely beautiful. I had the wedding of my dreams there this past weekend! The staff was right on top of every little detail! Thank you Tammy James for giving me a perfect wedding!! I could not have asked for more!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Hardworker28
South Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

What an amazing trip! Working with PGA Class A Professional Harry Andrews has changed my game and my belief in my ability to grow in this sport. Harry is a superb instructor--mixing a serious approach with just the right dash of humor and fun. I am now driving the ball with consistency and confidence. The video tape analysis Harry provided enabled me to see and correct my errors. The course is lovely and the rates are quite reasonable for this all-inclusive stay (food is yummy!). I will definitely return for many more golf vacations. If you go my advice is to request Harry Andrews as your teaching pro!
Cindy from Vermont

Room Tip: Loved staying in the main building--original Inn built in 1913--in a second floor suite that was spo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Town & Country Inn and Resort
#8 of 15 in Bethel
Norseman Inn
Norseman Inn
#10 of 15 in Bethel

Been to The Bethel Inn Resort? Share your experiences!