“Exceptional hospitality, delicious food and a wonderful setting!”

Holidae House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
“Exceptional hospitality, delicious food and a wonderful setting!”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

It is a classically appointed B & B in the Victorian style and everything about it surpasses expectations. Laurence and Marsha the owners and hosts made us very welcome. Laurence is English and is the personification of the English virtue of service, as well as being an excellent cook.
We had packed up and were about to load the car when I discovered that somehow I had bent the key to may car and couldn't open it. I called AAA and they were unable to help. Laurence then volunteered to drive me around looking for the tools that might fix my key. In the end he drove me out of town to his friend's farm and he was able to straighten my key. Laurence went far beyond his responsbility, he was the perfect host, taking care of our needs.

We left for one day outing and returned to the Inn for a second night, which was even better than the first. The town is quite picturesque and there are great hiking trails nearby.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Hebrew first
Maine
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Carpe Diem worked for us. The hosts were gracious. I had recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and I was still working to figure out the diet. Lawrence worked to provide me with the most amazing pancakes and also assisted us with gluten-free dining arrangements which were perfect. We enjoyed the conversation, loved our quaint room, and would love to return. B & B's make me nervous since you really don't know what you are going to find. The reviews on tripadvisor really helped us make our decision which is why we wanted to post a review also.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Bethel, Maine
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Our time at Austin's Holidae House was a true delight. The service is exceptional with working with us to meet our needs and the needs of my son's family. We received a personal touch which is lacking in many accommodations these days. We were greeted and cared for warmly and the breakfast was grand, a "proper" breakfast with homemade delights, including homemade spreads, baked goods, and farm fresh eggs. Also, the Holidae House is very convenient being quaintly nestled in the heart of Bethel Village. Pleasant stay, good food, and courteous service, that's the Holidae House. Would we stay again? You bet!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Gray, Maine
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This Bed and Breakfast is wonderful. We celebrate our anniversary here every year. This is our 4th year and we plan on many more. Laurence and Marcia are so friendly, they make you feel right at home. You are served a fantastic breakfast with many choices and several of the things are home made. The room we had was beautiful with the Victorian furniture, stained glass windows in the bathroom and the jacuzzi tub was so nice. It is located right on Main Street in Bethel, so you are close to just about everything you need or want. We love to sit on the porch at night and enjoy the peace and quiet of life in a small Maine town. We love this place and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Burlington, VT
Reviewed 7 July 2009

The Holidae House was one of (if not the BEST) inn's I've ever stayed in. My husband and two-year old daughter were welcomed with open arms by the Inn's owners, Marcia and Laurence. I'm always nervous when traveling with a toddler, but as parents and grandparents themselves, they know it's not easy. The Inn was so charming and beautiful - you keep noticing little details, an old photo on the wall or the beautiful guilded ceiling in the dining room. I kept telling my husband how relaxed I was over our visit (4th of July). Breakfast was incredible - I don't think I've eaten so much in a long time. Laurence stated he wasn't professionally trained as a chef, but you wouldn't know it by his French Toast. This was a great stay and we plan on returning in August. On another note, I work at Burton Snowboards and can see that this would be the perfect retreat during the ski/snowboard season.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This was my second stay in the Holidae House and as good as the first in every way. Lawrence is the consummate host and provided us with one of the more tasty breakfasts I can remember. The rooms are very comfortable and elegant in their Victorian decor. I am looking forward to staying at the Holidae house many more times.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
New Orleans
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I've stayed twice at Holidae house and both visits were lovely. The first caused me to book my second for a family gathering of 8. The living room has games and after-dinner drinks that we thoroughly enjoyed. Not the fanciest b&b I've ever stayed in but by far the most loving and enjoyable. Laurence is the consumate host with chocolates, afternoon tea and conversation. Breakfast is a delight -- there are several main choices and such treats as fresh rhubarb compote, homemade jellies, apricot scones and delectible croissants. Eggs any way you want them, french toast and pancakes -- you name it and they make it. This may not look like the most polished place in town but it is the best b&b I've experienced.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn
Chapman Inn
Chapman Inn
#7 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Holidae House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!