“Should not of stayed”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Biddeford
Lebanon, Indiana
“Should not of stayed”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Hotel was under construction and should not have been open, said the third floor was done, but the room they put us in was far from finished. Stains on the ceiling, no desk chair, no hangers, no light for the side of the bed, smoke alarm was open, fire sprinkler system was not finished, the counter over the fridge was extreamly hot from ???. Only three floors but waiting for the elevator you would think their was a lot more. killed three spyders, and the worst part was, the staff was unfriendly and did not care.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jerry R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Biddeford, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Jerry R,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Why we weren't advised that the hotel was under full (and major) renovation when enquiring, I do not know. Fortunately the young lady at reception assigned us a suite as far away as possible from the noise and clutter but the usual (and expected) coffee station and breakfast service was less than acceptable. Staff members struggled to do their best and one young man was particularly helpful when even luggage carts couldn't be found. His offer to help with our cases was made quickly, warmly and with a smile.

One of the benefits of staying with the chain is the included hot breakfast. We were booked in for 3 or 4 nights and sadly the hot breakfast offering was exactly the same each day. Such as it was, we carried ours back to our room because the tables were set up in the still under-construction lobby area.

When staff members were asked why the reno wasn't posted on their website the answer ranged from "It should have been" . . . "yes, a mistake" . . . to "it's not my job!"

This could be a pleasant property and no question some of the staff went out of their way, as interestingly did a couple of the men doing the renovation. One even apologized and said "next time you here, will look good". I'm sure it will but maybe it won't be on our list.

Room Tip: Hard to believe that the reno work will go past July but I would suggest checking. No matter the roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This was my second stay in this hotel. There was trouble right from the start of this trip. While making my reservations, the agent I spoke with was extremely flustered and had to keep asking me the same questions over and over again.
The check - in process went smoothly (except that I was extremely disappointed that I was not placed close to my relatives - who also requested to be near my room).
Upon entering the room - I was (at first) very pleasantly surprised. The room looked nice, modern, spacious.
I soon discovered a beer bottle cap on the carpet near the refrigerator, a penny on the floor by the desk, and dirt on the carpet near the window.
That was not the worst -- the bedside phone was coated in grime. I do not understand how it could have been overlooked for so long -- this phone had not seen a clean rag in a very long time. Next to the telephone was the HBO guide listing; stuck to it was an old fruit (apple) sticker.
I did report to the front desk that this room should be inspected by management because there were some poor issues (hook in bathroom broken, etc) The front desk clerk apologized and said she would tell someone.
That was the end of it.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room NOT near the elevator or near the stairwells (VERY LOUD)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bstillitano
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Biddeford, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear bstillitano,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the room accommodations you received did not live up to your expectations and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This was our second stay at this place. In august, we had a good night's sleep and good service so we went back. That was on December 27th. See the other post by MrMouse32. EXACTLY the same situation. We were put on the 3rd floor and getting out of the elevator, you could see your breath. The floor in the bathroom was so cold we had to put on our shoes. We also complained to the manager who relocated us to the second floor (we checked in at 8 and by 9 we were one floor below the first room)... heat was on and we had a good night's sleep. We by-passed the breakfast so I can't rate that. But being a Gold Elite Member of Choice Hotels may have earned us some perks MrMouse didn't get. The temperature in that room must have been in the low 40s and full heat for over an hour did not change that.

Room Tip: Unless you are using the "sleep Management Program" at the local hospital that takes over...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Biddeford, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear ValpoInd,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with your room accommodation. Though this matter has been resolved in a timely manner, I regret this has negatively impacted your stay with us. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We checked into this hotel around 9:30 pm and it appeared to be nice. Our perceptions quickly changed once we made our way to our room. When we opened the door of our room, we were taken aback by just how cold it was. We quickly turned on the heat and called the front desk representative for extra blankets to keep warm while the room heated up. The front desk representative assured us that the room would get warm quickly. I decided to check to make sure that the windows in the room were closed only to find that they wouldn’t lock. Since our room was on the first floor, we thought it was unsafe for the window locks to be broken. While we were waiting for the room to heat up, I decided to go to the hotel lobby to use the computer to check my Email only to find that it didn't work.

At 11:30 pm, we called the front desk again because the room temperature was still somewhat cold and uncomfortable. The front desk agent came and agreed that the room was cold. He offered to move us to another room; however, since it was so late we decided it wouldn’t make much sense to pack everything up so we decided to stay. We were brought more blankets.
The next morning we decided to take advantage of the complimentary “hot” breakfast. The breakfast consisted of a few cereals, a waffle maker, eggs, sausage, fruit and pastries. The bananas that were served were actually rotten. The front desk agent who was responsible for answering phones and checking people out was also responsible for overseeing the breakfast selection. Several of the containers that were used for milk and juices needed to be refilled. The hotel clearly was understaffed!

When I went back to the room to take a shower, I turned on the shower only to find that it was broken too! The shower head was loose and water squirted everywhere. Our hotel stay could not get any worse. When I called the front desk to speak to a manager, I was advised that no manager was on duty at the time. I am still awaiting a call back from the hotel manager.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mrmouse32
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Before I even checked in I had called to see if there were any attractions for the holidays that I should go and see while I was in town. I spoke to Nicole and she told me that she didn’t know of anything off the top of her head but would do some research and have it waiting for me when I checked in! Are you serious!? Talk about going above and beyond for the guests!

When I arrived to the hotel, everything was great! They were doing a Santa Event for kids and families with hot coca, popcorn, cotton candy, cookie decorating, a sleigh ride, and a visit from Santa! What a great way to get everyone in the holiday spirit!

The room was very clean and spacious and the staff was excellent! Breakfast was awesome and seemed to be a little better then other Choice Hotels that I've stayed in! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashlee N
Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I had no problem checking in. I had no problem finding my room. I found my room to be clean. I also found my room to be very quiet. The front desk people were kind and helpfull. Parking was also close to the entrance as well. I also liked that the pillows and bed were clean and comfortable. I did notice that the bathroom floor was very much cold for first thing in the morning. The couch cushions could have been more neatly placed. I guess what upset me the most was that the Travel Channel would not come in on the TV as so I could watch one of my weekly programs. And I would think that if a channel should always come in at a hotel I would think it should be that type of channel. This was the third time I have stayed here, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Frank G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biddeford
Hampton Inn Saco / Biddeford
Rodeway Inn Saco
Rodeway Inn Saco
#6 of 10 in Saco
Hampton Inn & Suites Wells-Ogunquit
Exit 5 Motel and Cottages
Ramada Saco/Old Orchard Beach Area
Americas Best Value Inn Biddeford / Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Biddeford? Share your experiences!