“Tucked away surprise ...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Goldthwaite's
Price range: US$1 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Seasonal grocery/lobster pound/restaurant on the Southern coast of Maine in scenic Biddeford Pool. Picnic dining area overlooks beautiful Saco Bay with views along the coast up to South Portland. Family-friendly breakfast, lunch, dinner --great menu for the adults will plenty for the kids to choose from. Great desserts and Gifford's hand-scooped ice cream to finish. Great wine and beer selection, though no alcohol can be consumed on site (Maine law). Lobster dinners to eat on site, or live or cooked to order (no extra charge) for take-away breath selection of fresh seafood and handout meats. Store opens 5/9/15 for the summer through 9/12/15, daily. Kitchen opens Memorial Day for that weekend, then lunch/dinner daily June 11-Labor Day. Store hours: 7 a.M.-6 P.M. Daily Food Service hours: Lunch/Dinner 11:30-7:30 p.M.
international
“Tucked away surprise ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

... that we luckily stumbled upon, just as we were getting hungry for dinner. Very glad we hopped out of the car to check and see if this place, which from the front basically looks like a small grocery store, also serves dinners. And serve they do! ... every imaginable variety and size of lobster, great rolls, shrimp, scallops and just about any other fresh Atlantic seafood. The price was perfectly reasonable, certainly compared to Kennebunkport / Cape Porpoise and the more frequented areas nearby, while the back garden overlooking the water was a perfect break at the end of the day. Downside is that they have no beer/liquor license so, even if you snag one from the fridge inside, you can't enjoy a cold beer with your dinner (although there was delicious, cold, free lemon water). Also ... rather unpleasant were the couple of not entirely fresh smelling porta-potties set up at the edge of the garden as the establishment has no public restroom of its own (would be a major improvement to the overall experience if they go for this essential upgrade!!). But the sheer delight of the place itself, the genuine and delicious food, and the value made up abundantly for these minor irritations (which nonetheless kept me from giving the place 5 points.)

1 Thank intertwilight

“Rude employee”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

The woman behind the counter literally told my wife and I to get our drinks and get out with a sour tone after we had come in a few minutes before closing. Great food, but not worth it to have ti deal with such an awful human being. She must have to be the owners wife to be such a rude woman, but still, Learn how to treat your customers. She knows that they're food is good so she must feel she can be as rude as she wants. Doesn't effect them much, but they've lost my family as customers. The reason I'm writing this is to hope she sees it. You're a waste of oxygen, ma'am.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank oaklly
Elizabeth B, Manager at Goldthwaite's, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is important to us. We strive for excellent customer service and what you experienced is inexcusable and not representative of how we feel our employees are in general. As you can see from customer's other reviews on Trip Advisor, what you experienced is atypical. Please come back to give us a chance to do it right and ask for a manager. Your total satisfaction is our top priority.
nh
“Absolutely disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We stopped here after a tour of UNE. We are from NH and have our share of good to excellent seafood restaurants, but could not pass up the chance to eat fresh seafood while in Maine. The previous reviewer was spot on. This place is terrible.

We ordered 2 orders of fish and chips and a cup of chowder. The fish and chips were the absolute worst I have ever had in my life. I felt bad for the haddock who gave its life to end up diced and breaded in such a way. The morsels of fish were smaller than a golf ball, some even the size of a small marble, and were encrusted by a seasoned, greasy 1/2" thick crusty batter. I knew when I saw it we had made a mistake stopping here. The minute I saw the fish, I told my wife to be prepared for a grease overload. Well, 2 or 3 bites and the entire $22.00 worth of greasy fish and chips went straight to the trash. neither my wife, my daughter , nor I could eat any of this waste of a fish.

My daughter said the clam chowder was good, but that didn't make up for the rest of the meal.this place should absolutely be embarrassed for serving something I wouldn't even feed to my dogs. I felt sick to my stomach for the rest of the afternoon. It was that bad. Never again .

Visited August 2013
6 Thank LostinBohol
Elizabeth B, Manager at Goldthwaite's, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We are deeply disturbed by your experience. We take great pride in the quality of our food. Though our fish and chips is not traditional, it is one of our most popular menu items.We obviously failed in executing on the day you visited. We only ask that you come in and give us another chance to do better, on us. We will refund you for the meal you had that was unacceptable. Thank you for your feedback.
Limassol, Cyprus
“Need to get my cholesterol checked”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

+Funky place. +Spectacular views. +Much local color.- Food to die for ... literally. I had the fish and chips or more correctly, the greasy balls and the greasy sticks ... and paid dearly for them. The food service is in a market catering to upscale summer clientele. I was totally surprised when I received food that I wouldn't give to a homeless person.

From the other reviews I guess I should have tried the clam chowder or the lobster rolls which get universally good responses. Instead I tried something that went into the vat of old grease that cooked everything from scallops to clams to my fish.

When my box of food was unceremoniously dumpped on the counter of McGoldthwaite's, I grabbed a couple of paper napkins and a plastic fork, scooted out to the lawn and settled into an Adirondack chair with a great view of the boat traffic at the mouth of the Saco River. Yummy.

Then I took my first bite of ... what was it? It was supposed to be fish. What I bit into was 1/2 inch of coagulated batter surrounding an infinitesimal mote of white, previously ocean dwelling fish...presumably. Each nugget of 'fish' was the same: a token pinch of white flesh encased in a thick sarcophagus of grease laden batter. I mean NASA could use this stuff to surround pods to protect them from reentry to the atmosphere. I made two more trips to the napkin dispenser.

I will go back...its' the only game in town. But I will try a sandwich or the reputedly 'best clam chowder'. The lawn and view is just too relaxing to pass up.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mark P
Elizabeth B, Manager at Goldthwaite's, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy the fish and chips. We strive for consistency of quality and appreciate your bringing this to our attention. We will review our portioning and cooking procedures. When you do come back, please ask for a manager so we can offer you a complimentary meal and a chance to try some other menu selections. Your feedback is very important to us.
Montreal, Canada
“YOU HAVE TO STOP THERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Such an authentic place to have a meal in Maine! It's actually a grocery store with a restaurant inside. Discovered it 3 years ago, and I am for sure going to go everytime I plan on chilling near the Maine coast now. BEST CLAM CHOWDER EVER! And THE VIEW! Sunset is so beautiful there. Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank mc_1990