“Comfortable Cabin and Knowledgeable Hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bingham
Pine Grove Lodge and Cabins
Lexington, Virginia
“Comfortable Cabin and Knowledgeable Hosts”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in Pine Grove Lodge's large cabin during my Maine Appalachian Trail section hike this year. The cabin facilities were just what we needed...a full kitchen for those early starts, cable TV and a comfy bed. Bob and Andrea were extremely helpful, recommending sights to see as well as great places to eat. The breakfast was delicious, especially the homemade jellies & jams served with the meal.

Bob and Andrea are very knowledgeable about the AT and where to access the trail via local logging roads.

They also run a shop in downtown Bingham as well as a non-profit program for Veterans. The snowshoes & snowshoe furniture in the shop are all laced by disabled Veterans. Their efforts on behalf of Veterans alone gave us a great reason to stay at Pine Grove Lodge but Bob's and Andrea's hospitality put them way over the top.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I only stayed here one night as we were driving from the Adirondacks to Acadia and needed a place to stay near North Country Rivers rafting in Bingham. We loved the taxidermy work and Andrea and Bob provided us with more food than we could eat. A late evening snack was great and the eggs benedict for breakfast was amazing. We stayed in a room inside the main house. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. Overall, an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Mount sterling, IL
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed at Pinegrove Lodge for a bear hunt with hounds in September of 2012. The Howes were very accommodating and the lodge was very pleasant. My hunt that I booked through the lodge was very misleading and I feel that I was scammed into a hunt that was not legitimate. I was told that the lodge had a great track record with excellent experienced dogs, however upon my arrival I see that the "dogs" we're actually first year pups. These pups were not capable of a real hunt and were only training that week. I was scammed into thinking that this hunt was a legitimate hunt and I wasted thousands of dollars thinking that I was going to receive a real hunt. I watched these dogs make horrible mistakes day after day as part of their training at my expense. I did not feel that I got what I payed for and left a day early because this trip was an absolute joke. I cannot say what this establishment is like as far as the other attractions but I do know that the bear hunting is not the quality that they portray. This was made obvious to me once I arrived given that I was the only hunter in camp for the week. I will never go back and unless you are looking for a ripoff, stay away!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Peoria, AZ
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed in the family cabin and we absolutely loved it!! The perfect way to be truly unplugged. The proprietors (Andrea and Bob) were just wonderful people and were very attentive. Bob took us on a "moose safari" and we saw a moose! We were out there on the dirt roads for over three hours while he provided us with a lot of fascinating information about the area. We came back to the lodge and were served hot blueberry rhubarb pie. Breakfast was awesome. A very quiet area - a little store in town. Loved the full kitchen. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Belinda17
Greensboro, Vermont
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Friday, August 5

At about 8:30 we arrived at Pine Grove Lodge, a hunting a fishing center four miles north of the center of Bingham, ME. The proprietors weren’t there, but had left our name on the door to one of the rooms. The common area had obviously kept a taxidermist busy for quite a while - several bear, many deer, fishers, numerous fish, coyote, etc. I thought: “These people are living their dream.” They clearly enjoy the indicators of a life related to the outdoors - hunting, fly-fishing, etc.

Saturday, August 6

We got up by 0600 and soon thereafter three hunters emerged from another room off the common area. Mike, Larry, and John are from South Berwick, and had spent Friday “baiting” bear - leaving piles of stale doughnuts in likely places in the woods to attract bruins. They would come back in a few days to see if bears had found the bait, continuing this practice until hunting season arrives. The interesting thing is that John (Rackley) is paralyzed and in a wheelchair (trampoline accident a few years ago). He has developed the Renegade wheelchair to enable disabled hunters to hunt, fish, move around on soft ground and in the woods. He even builds blinds for duck hunting and accessory holders for bows, firearms, fishing gear. The hunting party was leaving early, expecting to be back several more times before the start of bear season.

The proprietors of Pine Grove Lodge cater to all sorts of outdoor participants. At communal breakfast at 0800 there were a dozen young people from Southeastern Massachusetts who were to be taken up the Kennebec River for some whitewater rafting later in the morning. Breakfast - eggs, bacon, toasted muffins, juice, coffee, etc. - was filling and carb-rich - both important for a day of hiking. Bob and Andrea cater to many groups with outdoor interests, but work especially hard for disabled veterans.

After breakfast Bob Howe drove us via un-gated logging roads to the AT Crossing on Long Falls Dam Rd. He drove our car to Caratunk on Sunday and left it at the AT parking lot on Sunday so it was there after we'd crossed the Kennebec in a canoe. Couldn't have been better!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingham
Bingham Motor Inn & Sports Complex
#1 of 1 in The Forks
The Inn on Winter' Hill
The Inn on Winter' Hill
#1 of 2 in Kingfield

Been to Pine Grove Lodge and Cabins? Share your experiences!