“Great bargain, just don't get rooms 1-6”
Review of White Anchor Inn

White Anchor Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Boothbay B&B and Inns
Sierra Madre, California
“Great bargain, just don't get rooms 1-6”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great inexpensive place to stay overnight if you're visiting Boothbay.
Owner and staff are great. The Lounge is cozy.
I was awakened by traffic at 5:30 AM because I was in the front rooms. Pay the extra $10 or so to get a room set further back on the property.
No frills, just a TV and internet.

Room Tip: NOT rooms 1-6. Traffic noise will wake you starting at 5:30 AM.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is not a luxury Hotel. Its more like a cabin or Motel. It was cozy, clean and plenty of hot water in the shower. Very basic with an accommodating staff. Nice location, clean room and reasonable price. A inexpensive place to spend the night while you sight see during the day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry S
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This was a great, affordable place, something that is hard to find! We paid $79 plus tax for 2 double beds. Normally I would have expected to pay at least $120 AND we would have been charged more for having 4 people, which was not the case at White Anchor Inn (WAI).

Google Maps took us to the wrong place, but after calling WAI Marie gave us very easy-to-follow directions. The hotel was located half way between Wisscaset and Boothbay Harbor so you can pretty much do it all.

The inn is actually separate rooms (kind of like cabins, but together) so you can drive your car right up to your front door. The room isn't huge, but has a tv and plenty of space to put your things. We even had a back porch/deck where we could sit. The style of the rooms is a little older, but that didn't bother us much. It was clean and nicely done- especially compared to some of our other hotels.

Bonus: They recently opened up "The Den" which is a bar/lounge in the main building. Prices were VERY reasonable (it was ladies night) and Justin, the bartender, was very fun to talk to. It's a great addition since you aren't super close to town, and you can walk back to your room after! The Den will be open all year long if you're around in the winter months.

Overall we had a great experience at the WAI. Marie was very sweet and informative! Great prices too!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank NTschweg
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 August 2014

There are many good things to be said about this Inn. First it is very affordable. Second, it was a great location for what I wanted to do while in Maine. This was a solo trip for me, and when traveling solo I seem to have both the attention span and energy level of a three year old! I am always seeing just how much I can get in each day, and by staying here I was able to get A LOT done! Marie was excellent in helping me hit all the highlights in Boothbay Harbor on the first afternoon, which left me the entire next day to explore more areas than I had planned. The only time I spent in the room was for the few hours I slept between adventures. All I need in a room is cleanliness and safety- I found both here. Yes the walls are thin, I was awakened both nights by my drunken neighbors (I know there were drunk as they felt the need to loudly discuss how much they had to drink!). Fortunately they drank enough to pass out quite quickly. It is a very basic room, which is all I needed. There is a deck/balcony for each room, which I didn't get a chance to use, but it was a nice touch. Oh, my favorite part was the small table and chairs, which I will take over a sofa any day. I would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: There is a restaurant at this Inn for Happy Hour and evening meals. I did not have a chance to eat t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Willingboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2014

So many of the hotels we looked at in Maine were very expensive. We didn't need anything super fancy, but we also didn't want to camp with the mosquitoes in the area. The White Anchor Inn was a great option. The rooms are a little older, but very clean. The only thing that wasn't ideal was that the walls are a bit thin, and the door to the porch sticks, so anytime your neighbor opens/closes their door, you'll hear it.

The owner is incredibly nice, offering excellent dining suggestions and making herself available constantly for anything the guests might need. So if you're on a budget, but still want a comfortable place to stay in Maine, stay at White Anchor Inn!

1 Thank 34AnneK34
Queenstown, Maryland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Not what we expected. The pictures and description on the website did not match what we found when we got there. The rooms are old and worn and had an unpleasant odor. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. I may have slept an hour that night. There was a light right outside of our room that was on all night. The walls were so thin that guests in the next room could be heard clearly. On the positive side, the owner and staff were very nice.

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Can't beat the price. Rooms are on the older side but the beds are nice and the whole inn is very clean. And to top it off the towels are extremely soft. The internet is a bit fickle but that might have been caused by the bad weather we were having. They just opened there bar a couple weeks ago. Small but nice my only complaint is that they don't carry any bud products. The inn is only 2-3 miles from everything and if you need directions the staff is more then happy to help you out with that and anything you need. They make you feel like family. Could not have asked for nicer people. I will be visiting Boothbay again and I will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boothbay
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn
#4 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor
Ocean Gate Resort
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport

Been to White Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!