“World class gardens in a rocky coastal Maine setting, worth a long trip.”

Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Boothbay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is a natural wonder on 270 acres of shorefront in mid-coast Maine. Strolling through spectacular ornamental gardens and traversing miles of waterfront and woodland trails, visitors are delighted by the beautiful plantings, impressive stonework, waterfalls and fountains, and scenic views. It's no wonder the Gardens have been hailed as one of Maine's top three attractions. The Gardens are open 9-5 April 15 - October 31 (open until 6 pm in July and August). There is a cafe and gift shop on site. A visit at any time is a memorable experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Although only opened to visitors for a few years, clearly many years of planning and work went into developing a couple hundred acres of this granite and ledge strewn terrain. Their are more than 6 types of gardens, from a special children's garden with little play houses and teaching areas to a garden for all 5 senses to a hillside garden down a rocky fault leading to the water. We had a lovely and convenient lunch at the visitor center featuring many home garden fresh items, but also perfect haddock stew and an exotic BLT.
An electric cart made rounds to help shorten the uphill climb from the waterfront to a lovely waterfall and water garden. We caught a glimpse of a small wedding party in one area, the brides maid in royal blue with a red fascinator in her hair. The gift shop was full of garden related items and there was much indoor and outdoor art, often for sale. We spent three hours on a Sunday afternoon, leaving at the 5pm closing, and already planning a return trip. I would recommend these gardens to anyone with the slightest interest in the outdoors, parks, trees or flowers, or water conservation.

1  Thank diner27
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed 15 August 2011

This is a must see when visiting the Boothbay region.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We visited the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in July 2011. Once we got through the busy admissions building.....it was crowded and busy....we took a self guided tour starting with the children's area. Since my wife is a elementary school principle she was delighted to see this display and took several ideas home to try and use them at her school. As we walked through the miles of trails that line the gardens .....My wife exclaimed...."This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen!" I was so happy that we could share this moment and place together.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

I almost did not go with my friends to this attraction because it cost $12.00. It was worth $20+. Where can you go to see stunning sculpture, enjoy the ubiquitous aroma of pine trees, see unbelievable gardens, and include a very nice hike with places to stop and mediate? This is the place. The children's area was the best and most thoughtfully designed botanical gardens I have ever visited.

Congratulations to the designers of this garden who enticed all of our senses in one beautiful garden. It made me think that the Garden of Eden must had been spectacular!

1  Thank Dianadean
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My Aunt and Mom are both gardeners and this was high on their to do list. It was our favorite part of the weekend. These gardens are so beautiful. Lots of walking but rides available around the lot in different spots to take you back to the main point. Will definitely go again!!!