“Great Spot”
Review of Boothbay Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boothbay
Boothbay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boothbay
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Just recently spent a night in one of the Balsam cabins here and had a great time. The rooms were more than adequate, very clean with nice comfy beds. They had a nice frig and kitchenette though we didn't actually use it as we couldn't resist the brewery/tavern on site. We did swim in the pool which also was nicely setup with towels and heated. Hard to get out. The owners and staff were exceptionally nice, friendly and anxious to please. We found the rooms a bit high priced at first but considering the pool, brewery, and excellent food and service changed our mind. We will return for sure later this year.

Room Tip: All cabins setup nicely
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The Boothbay Resort is a great stay on so many levels. We have been bringing our family here every summer for many years and have never been disappointed. We've stayed in most all the cottages; Boxwood, Balsams, and Cedars, none of which you can go wrong with. They are always meticulously cleaned and are very comfortable to stay in. We used to stay in Balsams, which are a bit larger and newer than Cedars, but as the family grew found it more advantageous to rent 2 of the Cedar cabins. This way we can put our 3 children in one while we stay next door just a few feet away. A baby monitor works great for peace of mind, but in reality there is nothing to worry about when it comes to safety in this tucked-away location.

The owners of the resort, Winn and Lori Mitchell, have become personal friends of ours; and have always been the most hospitable and courteous keepers one could ask for. It's been a joy to watch them transform their inn formerly known as the 1828 Vintage House, to what has now become a resort accompanied by a first class brewpub/restaurant known throughout the community as the "Watershed Tavern". If one enjoys craft beer and good food you need to travel no further!

We could go on about all the great benefits of staying here; i.e. pet-friendly, close access to downtown Boothbay Harbor w/out being in the middle of all the traffic, great pool, onsite games and amenities, but I think you get the picture. Do yourself a favor, whether looking for a getaway as a couple or the entire family, take advantage of what Boothbay Resort has to offer!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Todd D
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We spent three nights at Boothbay Resort with our toddler and my parents, and the Balsams cottage was comfortable, clean and met our need for some open space for our 18-month old to run around in. (Something a traditional hotel with single rooms would not have provided.) Unfortunately, I would not choose to stay here again because of the lack of phone and internet. First, the phone: We realized within about 5 minutes of our arrival that our cell phones had no service, but we needed to touch base with my parents, who were joining us later in the day. The cottage had no phone, so we walked up to the tavern where we checked in. I explained that we had just arrived and discovered the non-working cell phones, and asked if I could use a phone. To my utter amazement, I was directed down the street to the information center. I spent 20 minutes at said information center while the one attendant helped someone with hotel reservations, which gave me plenty of time to chase my poor kid around the place and reflect on the ridiculousness of the situation. I think for $200 a night (peak rate), someone could let me use the phone. I would have been happy to pay any charges associated with a call to a NH exchange. My thanks to the woman at the information booth for being kind enough to let me use her personal phone for a 30-second phone call. I don't want to vilify the entire place because of one customer service snafu, but the poor internet signal really sealed the deal for me. Of the devices in our cottage (a laptop, Kindle Fire, iPad and assorted phones), only the laptop could get a few minutes worth of internet service before cutting out, if you sat outside. For the rest of us, the connection dropped every 10-60 seconds. This made checking weather and researching attractions and restaurants difficult and frustrating. There was another building between our cottage and the tavern, so perhaps that was the reason for the poor signal, but if that's the case they need to move the wireless to a more accessible location.

For the money, I think phone and internet are not a lot to ask for, so we'll be checking out some of the other area accommodations next time we're in the area. If you don't need to be connected, then I think this is a quiet and comfortable spot with campground-like amenities, and with the exception of the person who thought a phone call was beyond the resort's means, everyone we encountered was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Chose this place cause it was close to down town booth bay it's just an adorable little place. The owner is very nice and even offered to open the tavern on its closed day (Monday) if we wanted a beer!! Cottages are spotless and very cute and peaceful would highly recommend you stay here!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank bumbalough
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My wife and I were planning a driving trip to the coast of Maine (from Toronto) and came to tripadvisor to find a few places along the coast to space out our stay. Boothbay Resort was our first stop of three (we later stopped in Portland, then Ogunquit, making our way south along the coast over a week).

Looking back on our trip, we both agree we would have rather stayed our entire week at Boothbay Resort and the nearby beautiful quiet town of Boothbay Harbor. The owners were all you could wish for, being extremely helpful at pointing us towards the best lobster spots in town, we even had the option of cooking our own in the Kitchenette they feature in the cabin we stayed in (Which was spotless and just what we needed). They feature a craft beer brewery right on site, and a little shop selling cheeses and such, as well as a handful of touristy local type things like shirts and shotglasses and such. There is laundry onsite for a reasonable fee (its an honor system with a coffee can for coins, you wouldn't see that in Toronto!) The local town of Boothbay Harbor has all the little touristy shops you could want, we spent hours perusing through jewellery and art and plenty of local gems, including street vendors set up in the yard of the library. There's also plenty of kayak rental places dotting the harbor for those so inclined.

Later in our trip we landed upon the beautiful beach at Ogunquit, fine sand as far as the eye can see. Ogunquit was a little too busy for us, and flocks of people seemed to pour out of the hotels and resorts to the beach every day. (and good luck finding somewhere to eat at dinner time!) But we could always find a quiet stretch on the beach to call our own, and the next time, we'll just drive the ~90 miles down the coast to the beach for a day or two and trek back to Boothbay in the evenings. (stopping in Freeport of course for all the outlet shops!) Also, next time I'll be sure to take the Cabbage Island Clambake trip, we ran out of time but it looked like fun.

We were looking to get away from the bustle of the city, and this place was just perfect. We are already planning a trip to stay again, I would recommend it to anybody I know looking for a quiet getaway on the coast.

Cheers,
Andrew & Hilary

Room Tip: Cedars Suite Cabin features a kitchenette.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew241
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We recently stayed in the Balsams Suite which includes a jacuzzi tub. The owners were quite friendly and helpful, and check in was fast and easy. The cottage that we were staying in was extremely comfortable, clean and had a kitchen with enough dishes, etc that we could have cooked our dinner there if we'd felt like it. It was nice to have the privacy of a separate bedroom, while our son was very happy sleeping out on the futon couch. Also the jacuzzi tub was wonderful to relax in after a long day of driving, although I'd suggest adding some steps at one end for getting in and out, as I don't think people like my elderly mother would be able to take advantage of that amenity without them since the sides of the tub were rather high. While we loved bringing our dinner and breakfast back to the resort and sitting outside enjoying the atmosphere (along with great beer and root beer from the brewery), we are excited to come back in the future and see the brew pub/pizza oven in action. The space looked incredible during our "sneak peek"!

Room Tip: We were in one of the larger cottages, so the smaller cottages may be slightly different.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DaWezl
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We have stayed here many times since the Mitchell"s purchased it. They are like going to see family; Winn and Lori and their extended family will bend over backward's to make sure you have a wonderful experience here and they and they are always making improvements! We stay here 3 or 4 times a summer and are never disappointed! All you need to bring are your clothes and essentials; everything else is provided and the beds are super comfy!! We love it here!!!

Anna & Tom

Room Tip: The newer cabins would probably be the best unless you don't care about such things. If you lik...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovescats123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boothbay
Flagship Inn
#5 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
#1 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Boothbay Resort? Share your experiences!