“Very pleasant and delicious”

Cabbage Island Clambakes
Reviewed 2 July 2014

As a native of Maine, I can say that this meal was delicious, the boat ride was enjoyable, and the scenery was breathtaking. Even though I would probably do this again, I do feel that based on the cost, it is probably more enjoyed (and considered a value) by someone visiting from another place. This is what I call an excursion price. Of course, being a Maine Native, I could have had that same meal for much less, but again, you are paying for the convenience of it. The staff was friendly and very accommodating and the family was very appreciative and will be the reason I return. I prefer to help out my local businessmen.

I do recommend bringing a small cooler, even lunchbox size to bring leftovers home. Fish chowder,two lobsters, a bunch of clams, an ear of corn, a baked potato, a boiled onion, and a boiled egg is way too much food for one person to consume! I brought a couple ziplock bags to bring some home, but they will wrap up leftovers for you.

One thing to remember when booking... everything is CASH. Cash bar on the boat, cash bar on the island, and cash accepted at the gift shop area. Also, there are tip jars on the tables you dine at. If I had known, there would have been more employees better paid.

3  Thank Sandra F
"mini tour"
"shaking hands"
"historical info"

Reviewed 12 March 2014

A beautiful boat ride, to a family owned island and more food than you can eat!! The A real traditional clambake with all the fixins'! Cooked outside, the old fashioned way, with wood, on the shore. You really must do this experience! Meet people, eat outside, with a terrific view of Linekin Bay. Well worth every cent, and of course the steamers and lob-sta are the best! Go and enjoy!!

1  Thank GreenfieldVisitor
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was an awesome experience! And very satisfying for the palate. We took an amazing boat ride out to an island (the long way around to get there) that was narrated with history. We arrived on a beautiful island and were able to watch as the staff prepared a clambake for about 150 people. It was extremely filling and delicious. Each person gets 2 midsize lobsters and a dozen clams as well as some vegetables. The staff was great, willing to answer questions as they stoked the fire. It is a family run operation and it is done very well! No where else can you get two lobsters, a dozen clams, a boat ride and an amazing afternoon on a private island for $60.

1  Thank beezy1688
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We found time for this on their last weekend for the season. Perfect weather! Being from South Dakota- we HAD to take the boat for the narrated tour to the private island. The scenic tour was informative and a relaxing cruise. Welcomed to the Island by staff, we selected our table near another a group. I'm sure they added to our wonderful experience. Sure wish I would have gotten names! They were very helpful in knowing the meaning of the 'ringing of the bell'- serving time for chowder and 'blow of the horn'- time to go get your meal at the waters edge. With full trays of clams, lobsters, potato, corn, onion, and boiled egg, we were at a loss where to start. With guidance on how to eat clams and lobsters from the group next to us- we were on our way to enjoying a wonderful experience! Blueberry cake finished the meal for us. A trip to the Gift shop was a blessed experience as well, as 'Mother' runs the gift shop. She is the mother of the brother owners. A wonderful woman who graced us at our table and made sure her boys took care of us. An experience to be remembered for many years to come. A Must Do!!!

1  Thank Sheila G
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Dining at this clambake is a whole experience. We boarded the boat for a 1 hour narrated cruise of Boothbay Harbor on the way to Cabbage Island. Once there we were welcomed onto the island (a private island) by several staff members. We selected a picnic table right on the water and a waitress soon came and introduced herself and brought drinks. After some really good chowder we were summoned to the cooking area to get our main meal of steamers, 2 lobsters, potato, corn and extras. The lobster was very fresh and everything was done perfectly. The amount of food served is incredible and no one should go away hungry. The boatride back takes about 1/2 hour. The whole trip is very well done and everyone is very friendly. This trip should not be missed!