“Great staff, great views!”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My wife and I had selected the Captain's Quarters Room in the original building based upon the website photos. After being in the room (which did have great views of the harbor) for a few hours we decided to check with the staff to see if we could move the next day to another newer room as the older room had a very strong paint smell and the bathroom and furniture were very old. The staff was GREAT! They apologized and immediately found us another room in one of the newer buildings with another great view on our private deck and got us moved that day. We LOVED that room with its new bathroom and furniture and were SO happy we had said something. The location of the inn and grounds are perfect and we WILL be back, but will be staying in the newer buildings. .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your experience at Spruce Point. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Oceanview Modern Lodge rooms during your stay. Captains Quarters is one of the most popular and historic rooms at the resort. It is a fabulous corner room in The Inn offering a truly unique guest experience. It is our attention to the historic details that draws guests to this accommodation - time and again. I encourage you to view the images and description on our website before your next visit as you may also find the Admiral's Quarters and Townhouse units of particular interest. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Angelo DiGiulian

There are newer reviews for Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa

Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend there recently. I have to say that the staff at the Inn was extremely helpful and friendly. Thanks to John and Jeff working the front desk. On Saturday we took the shuttle boat provided by the Inn and captained by Captain Jamie to Boothbay Harbor. It was a great and informative ride, thanks Jamie! We enjoyed the salt-water pool and the patio right on Boothbay Harbor. The first night (Friday) was a little chilly, so we fired up the gas stove in our room (Loon lodge) and enjoyed a very relaxing night. The accomodations were very nice. The Inn is very pet-friendly and a number of dogs were obviously enjoying their stay there.

The only reason the Inn did not get an excellent rating was Bogie's restaurant, which is the more informal of the two located eateries located on the grounds of the Inn. We had brunch there both mornings and I would rate the food as fair to slightly above average. We ate dinner there on Saturday night and it was very disappointing. I had fried clams which were cooked far too long. Most of them had been reduced to dark brown, hard lumps and any clam taste had been cooked out of them all. My wife ordered a burger cooked medium rare which was served just shy of way overdone. It is early in the season and I am certain that Bogie's fare will improve as the kitchen and wait staff works the kinks out.

Would I return? Absolutely! I wish we had more time to take advantage of the amenities like the hiking trails, the free kayak rentals, the fishing from the dock and the spa. Next time we will plan on staying longer. It's a great spot for couples and families alike.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the bay.
2  Thank grumpy1952

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Spruce Point. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in our dining experience. Occasionally, as we begin our season, mistakes are made. I have given your comments directly to our Food and Beverage team and they will work hard to meet expectations on your next visit. Please contact me upon your return.

Angelo DiGiulian
adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We chose this resort upon the recommendation of a friend who previously owned a vacation home in Boothbay. We had never been to Maine and she suggested it as a lovely property with excellent restaurants. She was right on target.

The Spruce Point Inn and Resort is located 2 hours north of Boston, and one hour north of Portalnd, Maine. The location is a great launching point to explore the Maine coast. We did not have enough time to go all the way up to Bar Harbor, but we also wanted to avoid tourist hype and crowds, so we chose Boothbay. We are so happy we did.

Based on reviews in this forum, we reserved a water view room (#13) in Evergreen building. The upstairs room was quite large, with a large bathroom, separate shower and a large, separate oval soaking tub. There was a porch with seating and a table to enjoy rhe view if the bay, as well a a sofa and comfortable seating in the room.

The property is beautifully maintained. There had been a huge rain deluge the day before which washed mud and debris into the salt water pool. When we arrived, they had drained the pool, and had just finished cleaning it out to refill. (Did I mention that the pool sits on a sea wall overlooking the gorgeous bay?)

There is a dock which has kayaks for guest use. A free boat shuttle which runs regularly from the resort to the harbor town. Bikes, horseshoes, a fresh water pool and very pristine gardens, as well as a small workout facility and small spa.

We ate at both restaurants and had fabulous food both evenings. Fresh, and locally sourced. Restaurant 88 was a huge surprise. It is romantic, light, and airy with views of the bay, soft piano music, beautiful art and a luscious menu. I had the giant, sweet, succulent scallops for my first course (local). The cedar plank smoked Atlantic salmon was so fresh, it tasted of the ocean, complimented by the smokiness and perfection with which it was prepared. (Being from SF, we eat a lot of fresh Pacific salmon, and this was sublime! Wish I had their recipe!). To top it off, we had a very professional server, Ashley who crowned the experience.

We also ate at the more casual restaurant, Bogie's which was also excellent. Happy hour is at 5 and the bar and tables are appointed with copper sheeting....very lovely and cozy. Great fish and chips, and perfect lobster.

Every single person was friendly and went out of their way to offer assistance, give advice about local attractions....or just chat with guests. They all seemed happy to be there, and proud of the inn. Such a pleasure to be in a place where management and staff really care!

While I would come back in a heartbeat, there is no perfection in any lodging situation. The rooms are not soundproof and you can hear people come and go nearby. Our room was devoid of any wall decoration. We would have loved to see some framed images/photos/colorful reproductions such as those that graced the main inn. None of these things were a problem for us at all, just small observations. We chose this because it was locally owned, not a sterile corporate chain.

I am posting photos of the two meals I enjoyed, the lovely art in the dining room and a panoramic photo of the inn which I took for the dock. Great place to stay, eat and enjoy life.

Room Tip: Upstairs in Evergreen to avoid noise from anyone walking around above
1  Thank pamelak
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Super scenery, outstanding service. First on our list for future restort vacations.

Room Tip: A view of the water is a must.
2  Thank MaineRetired
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort on the opening day of the season. It is a beautiful gem etched in the history of Boothbay Harbor. The amenities are modern with a hint of traditional flare. The front office is decorated with a blend of both vintage and modern decor. Pictures from several bygone eras adorn the walls, making one curious to explore the rich history of this establishment.

The front desk staff were friendly and professional upon our arrival, ready to check us in and quite helpful in making us feel at home. In fact, my aunt worked here for 35 summers as the hostess in what was then the main dining room of SPI. I never got to see it until now, over 10 years after her death. Not only did he take the time to listen to my sentiments, but owner Angelo DiGiulian was kind enough to put me in touch with my aunt's one-time supervisor (who lived in the vicinity) with whom I got to visit prior to our departure from this lovely place. I have never had a more personal experience with such customer service oriented staff who truly went the extra mile for a memorable resort experience. Our suite had a lovely view of the harbor and was extremely clean with comfortable beds and a large roomy bathroom. Only one hour prior to our arrival at the resort's "88" restaurant, I got online to secure a reservation with a request for a table with a view. We were both pleasantly surprised to be given a table with what staff agreed was the best view in the house overlooking boothbay. The food and service were both exquisite and exceeded our expectations.The amenities at the resort were varied (bikes to explore the surrounding terrain, kayaks, and both a swimming pool and hot tub right on the water). My only regret about staying here was that our time was limited; however, we both agreed that we would return here for another vacation without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minstrel1970
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Quentisential New England Town which was great, but Spruce Point Inn was definitely a cut above due to it's elegant, yet New England decor, it's gourmet meals and truly beautiful gardens. Plus, the launch that we think was just recently added which takes you into town was a fun way to get there. Sadly, it rained a couple of days while we were there, but it did not seem to damper the staff's attitude. Everyone was super attentive. This was our third visit and they just keep improving on what is already a great resort!

Room Tip: Try one of the cottages.
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Spent several spring days enjoying all the splendor and beauty Maine has to offer. Extremely pleased with every aspect of our stay at the Spruce Point Inn: Spectacular views, clean rooms and facilities, fine dining, relaxing massages, friendly staff who go out of their way to make your stay a memorable one, and a modern yet traditional vibe that colored a positvely enjoyable aura of our time there. Unfortunately we had a few rainy days, but that did not dampen our spirits nor the mood. There was plenty to do around the Inn - especially in their huge game roon and cozy lobby.

Room Tip: Avoid carrying your luggage up the stairs by selecting a first floor room if available.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Southport
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!