“A Maine Inn at it's finest!”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Danbury, CT
“A Maine Inn at it's finest!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Let's be perfectly clear: Staying @ SPI is all about the incredible charm it offers! However, I have gotten ahead of myself, here. Firstly, I use trip advisor to research each vacation I take, even if it is for business. And yes, I have ruled out hotels due to negative postings about them. Having said all that, I am surprised at the nitpicking some guests have posted about SPI. No, there is no elevator. However, there is an amazing wide staircase that I'd kill to have in my home, and yes, the staff help in taking your bags to your room. But I digress....

My wife and I stayed in the Admirals Quarters, on the third floor of the over 100 year old main building. The suite had its own deck overlooking Booth Bay, and we sat in our Adirondack Chairs each day, watching the tide roll in, double doors to the suite wide open so that we could listen to the jazz coming from our room. The room itself contained an incredibly comfortable king sized bed, and the decor was straight out of Pottery Barn's latest New England palette. Bleached oak floors, soft pastel colors and LOTS of LIGHT! (The window seat was perfect, BTW, to nap on each afternoon!) In the living room area, we had double sofas facing each other where we had tea each afternoon. The bath-room reminded me of my grandmothers from so many years ago, but was, again, charming and more to the point, quaint. All in all, the Admirals Quarters are highly recommended!
The restaurants were the real treat on our trip. The pub was the perfect spot for a martini each evening, and special thanks to the bar tenders for having the chef stuff olives with blue cheese each time I ordered one! We ordered quintessential Maine foods each time we dined in the pub, with special note to the Lobster Mac N' Cheese as well as the Crab Cakes. Delicious!
The main restaurant was more formal, and the food presentation as well as the wine list (including some great Maine wines, believe it or not), were representative. Watching the sun set through the wide front windows while having a spirited discussion about European history with our polyglot waiter was, for me, a bonus.
The property has multiple entertainment options. I'll touch on the things we did: Swimming in the semi-hidden fresh water pool (without too many screaming children) was so 'choice'. Don't miss the REALLY hidden adults only hot tub. Surrounded by tall trees and no one to bother us is what I desired, and what I received!
On our way back to the main hotel from the pool, we stopped at the S'Mores Station each night. This is exactly what it sounds like. A camp fire that had helpful staff members who assisted guests make the camp treats was such a nice little thing to look forward to each evening! The young staff, with their own guitars, played music and sang with everyone!
Each day, we biked and walked the trails on the property. However, the one thing that we will remember as one of the greatest experiences we have ever had was our sail on Booth Bay. Captained by the former police chief, we spent several hours weaving amongst the islands of the bay and chatting about the area and its history. The most amazing part was when the Captain allowed me to take the wheel and guide the ship for over a half hour. Honestly, where else can you experience something like this?
I could go on, but I'll end my review by reiterating that SPI is a charming Maine Inn that is all about getting away from it all. Thats what the promised and that is exactly what they delivered!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnyboomboombuck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Danvers07
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was our third year returning to the SPI for Windjammer Days in June. The grounds, amenities including pools, hot tubs, bikes, and boat rides and the views are fantastic but as usual the service in the restaurants leaves a lot to be desired. We had dinner at Bogies the first night and because of a wedding party we could understand service was a little slow, but could be overlooked if the waitress and other staff had ever asked if we would like another drink, more water, or even returned with the dinner rolls that we requested. As a result, 8 of us had dinner and breakfast 2 days at other Boothbay restaurants like Mama D's and Browns which were both great. We hope to return to the SPI with our friends again next year, but we will not take any meals at the inn.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor of "Lark" and had great views of the bay from our deck
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. As I mentioned to our previous guest, on Tuesday, June 26th, the kitchen was backed up by a private party and caused long wait times. I regret that this occurred and affected so many guests that evening. The Inn hosts nearly 15,000 destination diners each season in it's restaurants --- 88, Bogie's, and DECK. Guests return time and again and we are very proud of this. When missteps occur, staff and management eagerly embrace finding ways to avoid them in the future.
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

The property is beautiful and the staff is nice. But the housekeeping is so sloppy. Rooms were left completely dirty. Wireless didn't work. We got cold water in the bathrooms in the showers almost the entire time. Not worth it at all given the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kenilworthinn
, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I regret your stay at Spruce Point was not to your satisfaction. We have sucessfully for many years used a proceedure for the Inn's housekeepers that provides three layers of room checks throughout each day --- on each guest accommodation. An extensive checklist is used, recorded and monitored by a supervisor. I am puzzled as to how could have we missed cleaning your room. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We just returned from a magnificent first stay at Spruce Point Inn and are already discussing our next visit. The accommodations were quaint and perfect for a historical inn. We stayed in the Crow’s Nest, which had just been updated and renovated with air conditioner. Since I recently had knee surgery, I was a little concerned about the flights of stairs but found that they were not as bad as I had expected. Even though the bathroom was small, it was fine for us. Throughout our stay, the staff was friendly and all too willing to make recommendations as to where to eat and what to do. The shuttle and boat services into town were great and saved us from having to find a parking space during the day. The drivers for both (Sean and Scott) were very nice and went out of their way to share their knowledge of the area. My husband took advantage of the bicycles available and enjoyed a nice ride around the area. There are kayaks that we saw several groups use to explore Spruce Point. We enjoyed the food at SPI. Breakfast was on most days chosen from the buffet. The a la carte items were pricey and could quickly total up to the buffet price. One evening we dined in 88 and both our meals were excellent (my husband had the salmon and I had the cod).

One of the highlights was sailing the Sarah Mead with Captain Nate. It sails straight from the dock at SPI three times per day for groups of up to 6; for our sail it was just the two of us. We took the evening cruise and loved every minute of it (including the short rainstorm). During the sail, Nate was a wealth of information about the area and the business of lobster fishing. Since this was our first visit to the area, it gave us terrific insight about the harbor. We requested box meals from the restaurant and brought a bottle of wine that we had purchased from town. Based on the rocking of the boat and the stains on our shirts, bringing a bottle of red wine was not the brightest idea we had. I would recommend white wine or beer! It was a lovely evening and we strongly recommend taking a sail on the Sarah Mead.

We also recommend taking advantage of the SPI Spa. For both my husband and I, the massages were among the best we have experienced. We did not take advantage of the ocean view setting but preferred the spa area, where the décor was simple yet relaxing.

Our favorite meal in town was at The Boathouse Bistro (great recommendation from SPI bartender, Sam). The rooftop view and food was worth the three flights of steps. On our last day, we took a whale-watching trip with Cap’n Fishes (another great recommendation from Scott, the SPI shuttle driver). As we were approaching the end of time allotted for the trip with no whales in sight, the captain didn’t give up and found a spot that provided sightings of beautiful Right whales.

For my first trip to Maine, I could not have been more pleased with the inn and the area. We will definitely return to Spruce Point Inn in the future.

Room Tip: Crow's Nest (room 7 in the inn) has a great view but it is up 3 flights of stairs (no elevator i...
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We travel to Boothbay Harbor often and this was our first time staying at Spruce Point Inn. This is a beautiful property that sits right on the ocean. You can see a lighthouse in the distance as sailboats pass by. If you have never been to Maine, this resort looks like something right off of a postcard. We stayed in one of the one bedroom cottages. There was a large living room and small, but functional kitchenette. The place was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a jacuzzi that sits right on the ocean that we enjoyed nightly. This is a very pet friendly property and we were able to take our dog on the hiking trails on the property. We were there for Windjammer Days and the resort provides either a van service or water taxi (the best thing) to get to the town festivities. Highly recommend for couples or family.

North Andover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

A fantastic destination to do everything except EAT. Wonderful views, convenient to the town, spectacular grounds with activities for all ages; but find somewhere else to eat or pack your own provisions! This was the second year in a row that a groupo of couples stayed at the Inn during Windjammer Days. Both visits were marred by the poor quality of the food services at this resort. I would go back to SPI again, especially if I heard that the manager of food services had been "keel-hauled".

6 Thank LeonW72
, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret our misstep marred your stay with us during your Windjammer Days visit to the Inn. A private party overloaded the kitchen and caused long wait times for many guests. Despite the staff's best efforts, there will be mistakes from time to time. I am aware that we comped your meal. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience with Spruce Point and I look forward to your visit for Windjammer Days next season.

Angelo DiGiulian
adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Spruce Point and there was much to do for us all. Boat ride, kayaking, pool + hot tub, bikes, fire pit, shuffle board, game + play room. We didn't get to all these activities but it was great to have options. The restaurant on site is fantastic and open at convenient times making it easy to never have to leave the resort if you don't want to. The staff is very helpful and pleasant. Spruce Point is a perfect get away for all!

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view or partial view. It is worth it and lovely to have a porch to sit on.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
#8 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!