“Beautiful resort”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We had an absolutely fabulous 5 days at Spruce Point Inn. We have one teenager and one 12 year old. The resort worked perfectly for the age of our children. We simply loved the setting. The view out over the water was magnificent. Our room was extra large. We had a small kitchenette, which worked for the few days we were there. There are so many great restaurants that we hardly used the kitchenette. Two very comfortable queen beds and a sofa bed that was quite comfortable. We booked late so we couldn't get an ocean view but really it wasn't a problem at all. We backed on to the area where we could play badminton etc. The kids just loved that green area to play on. Every night was very quiet apart from the last night when we could clearly hear the neighbors conversation. But that stopped by about 11pm. ANDREW, who is working there for the summer, was amazing. Always a big smile and helped us with everything we needed! Thank you Andrew. The staff was very helpful and kind. We walked into town a couple times. Easy walk if your children aren't too young. We didn't find time to take the launch but it is a lovely boat. Sadly I have one complaint to make and that is about the restaurant service. We went into the restaurant late afternoon to see if we could get a table for later in Bogies. The lady said they were busy until 8pm. So we booked a table for 8.30pm. On arrival there was no table available and they quickly set up a high top right next to the door and the bar. I was not happy with this, as I had been looking forward to a nice meal there on our last evening. We asked to be moved but were definitely told by the bartender that we should not feel bad about this table as we class high tops as part of the restaurant. I told her she needed to listen to what I was saying and that I was not happy sitting there. I would have preferred to have been told they had no room, as we could then have gone to a nice restaurant in town, as opposed to squeezing us in. The manager then came along and was immediately rude to my husband. He said "were you the person who called me and then didn't turn up"?? (we were not this person). I couldn't believe that he was being aggressive to us! All we had done was book a table for a certain time and arrived and found there was no such table. We would even have waited longer for a better table! The manager then said "well do you want me to ask people to move so you can have their table?" in a very rude and condescending manner. After this I said I was not prepared to eat there and left. My husband stayed and ate with our two children. They did move them to another table but really the evening was ruined. Also my husband said the service was extremely slow. My main concern with this situation was that the manager was rude and handled the situation so very badly. We were really looking forward to a lovely dinner together on our last evening in a place that had made us so happy. BUT anyway we would definitely return to Spruce Point. Overall we had an absolutely fabulous time and if we hadn't made the mistake of booking a table at the restaurant I would only have had fabulous things to say about the resort. Don't let the restaurant situation deter you. This resort is in a place of such beauty that you will not regret it. We will definitely be back and we hope to see Andrew again there next summer! Thank you.

Room Tip: You might like to be above ground floor level to try to get a better view of the ocean. But I know...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Once again my husband and I had the wonderful pleasure of staying at SPI over a weekend in June. It was really before the "season" began for Boothbay Harbor, but the management at the Resort had everything in tip top shape for their guests. It seems every year that we have been, small things are improved upon that makes your stay just that more enjoyable. I have to admit that the last time we stayed, we only ate in the restaurant once for breakfast, but this year we ate several meals there and they were topnotch. Speaking of breakfast, I love how they have added the buffet and I had one of the best Haddock dishes one evening I had ever eaten. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

Yes the view is spectacular but at $400 a night that doesn't go far. So many problems. Was extremely disappointed. Our room was not equipped with hair dryer,enough towels...etc. it was annoying as the front desk did not always pick up the phone. The cleaning staff barely does the minimum. We had a pizza box that sat next to trash can for three days till we tossed ourselves. Not once did they wipe down the bathrooms ink or dust off the tops of furniture. Yes it's a green hotel but they never changed our sheets. The restaurant, Bogey's is a disaster. Be ause it was so convenient we tried it twice. How do you mess up a hamburg. The staff at Boogey's was delightful. The haddock over risotto. Fish was dried and risotto sticky and real salty. Yes it's beautiful, yes the pool on the bay is great but it is way way overpriced and there is just not that special feeling you get at a top notch resort.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank goodbyegirl
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry that you were not pleased with your experience at Spruce Point. Please contact me directly. We have worked very hard to achieve high guest satisfaction and enjoy a repeat guest ratio of over 80%. However, from time to time, mistakes will be made. Your satisfaction is very important. I look forward hearing from you and to the opportunity to retain you as a valued customer.

adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I've been to Maine over 30 times on vacation. We finally found the perfect place to be...the Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor. I'll be going back there many more times. The owner even walks the property and talks to guests. Their managers are superb, and can assist with any needs you may have. I could'nt ask for a more relaxing, enjoyable and worth-while vacation spot. You have GOT to try this place!

Room Tip: Be carefull about renting rooms without A/C. Maine is generally cool, so not all rooms have air cond...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I both enjoyed hot stone massage and petite facials. Our therapists were excellent. We left feeling wonderful.

A couple of notes--I wish that when we called to make our appointments, there had been instructions about where to find the spa and where to park. It would also help if there were more signage on the property. It is a very large, sprawling inn and the spa is only one small building of it. Since we did not stay at the inn, we had a hard time finding where to park. Also, once we changed into robes, I wish we had been directed straight to the waiting area. My husband (especially) and I both felt uncomfortable stepping back into the reception area wearing robes. Minor details in comparison to how wonderful we felt, but may be helpful for someone else to know.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheilaQuinn
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This place has fantastic views, kayaks, bicycles, outdoor activities galore. We booked a charter boat ride with Hay-Val Charters and it was the best part of our stay at Spruce Point Inn. He picked us up at the dock so we didn't have to go into town. He took us where we wanted to go not where he thought we should Why I didn't give this Inn a 5 star had more to do with our particular room than the resort as a whole. The room was not well portrayed in their pictures, maintenance on this room was lacking and internet service within the main hotel was very hit and miss. We reported the conditions but never saw any improvement while we stayed our 3 days. Others in our party had very nice rooms.

Room Tip: We picked the upper story of the Inn to get great views but after seeing the stairs ( no elevator...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have taken extraordinary steps to photograph all of our accommodations. I am sorry that you felt the 3 images for the Crow's nest in the
Main Inn did not do it justice. The Crows Nest is the most popular room in the
Main Inn with near 100% guest satisfaction. I am simply at a loss as to how we could
more accurately portray this room. There are 3 images --- a cozy bathroom, the bedroom,
and a fabulous view from a private porch. Please contact me so that we may discuss
how we may serve you better on your next visit.

adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We spent three nights in the middle of June, just before peak season really took off. Our room was very comfortable although it got a little too warm after we showered ... opening the sliding glass door to the balcony helped greatly. The view to the harbor was great. The weather was quite cool (low 60's) but the warm sun compensated and it was extremely comfortable for any outdoor activity. A non-smoking property but smoking on the balcony was permissible.
Spent some time sitting outside the main building under an umbrella, amazingly, I was the only one there. Everybody else probably was doing something active, I just wanted to soak up the sunshine and the view. Breakfast was very good, seating wasn't crowded, service was attentive and friendly. The young people working at the Inn as well as in town were all just great.
We walked to town several times, it was actually closer to 2 miles, not 1. Great way to see the homes and restaurants along the way. We ate at the Lobster Dock twice and enjoyed it very much.
The only complaint I could make was in the bar; the friendly bartender was so busy talking to a couple from New York, she never came back and took my order for an appetizer I told her I wanted to order to take back to our room. Oh well, just left a little more room for dinner.
Good location for driving to local attractions besides the town; took about an hour to get to Bath where we visited the Maritime Museum (highly recommended if you're interested in history and the sea).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport
Hampton Inn Bath Brunswick
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#5 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!