“Another gorgeous w/e in BBH at The SPI!”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I forced my hubby to take a much-needed w/e off to spend at The SPI -- we stayed here last year and loved it. The landscaping is beautiful (I can be pretty critical of that stuff), the Inn perfectly painted and coiffed for a new season -- the pools are warm and clean, all amenities that one can imagine -- absolutely perfect for a family OR a romantic getaway! The rooms are pristine, beds comfortable with great sheets, pillows and duvets -- even a clock alarm that bluetooths from your phone. Our room, Marston, is highly recommended -- overlooks the dock area, pool and has a great little deck that, while not private (others close by), gives you such a beautiful view that only a Scrooge could complain! Boat Captain Sean is a sweetie -- kind, helpful, PATIENT (and did I say cute?) -- he can literally take you anywhere you want to go on the peninsula with a little forward planning! Great respite from busy (fun) town as well!

Room Tip: MARSTON! (but not when WE want it!)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Spruce Point Inn is located at the end of a beautiful peninsula in Boothbay Harbor! We stayed in one of the more modern lodging with a private ocean view and could not have been happier. It was wonderful to come back from the hustle and bustle in town to such a peaceful Inn, sit in the adirondack chairs, sip on a glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful views!
We took the shuttle service by boat into town one evening for dinner and would highly recommend utilizing this complimentary service! It is just a quick ride back later in the evening by taxi and worked out perfectly. If you get a chance, sailing on the Sarah Mead, right there on the dock at Spruce Point Inn, was definitely one of our highlights! Capt. Nate has refurbished this beautiful wooden Friendship sloop and you will have a wonderful experience sailing the beautiful coastline on the Sarah Mead! Try not to miss this!!!
Every night we ended up at Bogies. We had such a great time meeting back up with other guests at the end of the day and Kim was the best bartender with her cheerful personality! We had dinner one night at Bogie's and had a great meal...awesome Quinoa salad and fried haddock dinner!
We look forward to returning Spruce Point Inn. The only thing we would change would be to stay longer than we did!!

Room Tip: The only thing I would suggest would be if staying in one of the modern room lodges, try to request...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mg523
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Had family & friends from across the eastern half of US for our 50th "bash" - Spruce Point Inn handled the reservations with aplomb. Everything was wonderful - and those things that were not at first were promptly corrected. They put up with us and seemed to enjoy it! We sure enjoyed staying in several of their cottages and had our 50th Luncheon in the Linekin Bay Room - spectacular service. And the morning after buffet breakfast in the Private Dining Room for the 27 of us that were staying at Spruce Point Inn was like icing on the cake. We couldn't have felt more welcome or cared for during our 4 nights. And Shawn's boat trip for my daughter, granddaughter, and 3 great grandkids was above wonderful - they will NEVER forget that!
My husband and I have already made reservations for Little Spruce Cottage for just the 2 of us next year. And WE will try the water taxi!

Room Tip: We recommend any of the cottages - haven't seen the inn rooms, but expect they are even nicer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

I loved staying at this resort. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. The staff in the restaurants were very friendly and were always smiling. Shawn, who works the boat for spruce point was very friendly and informative. Listen to his recommendations- he knows where to eat. Everyone should take a sail with Nate on the Sarah Mead.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Candace F
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This is the first time I have been compelled to write a review for a place I have stayed in many years. Spruce Point Inn exceeded every expectation of mine. The highlight of my stay was an incredible boat tour lead by Shawn. We saw eagles and their babies, secluded beaches, a lighthouse and more. Shawn's recommendation for where to go in Boothbay were right on target! And, the boat transportation ( and shuttle if wanted) are included in the cost of the stay. We stayed in Evergreen, which is a modern lodge with plenty of space and a porch where you can see the ocean. I swam in the salt water pool, ate incredible meals and completed all the business I came to finish. John was a gracious front desk manager, Andrew took care of our luggage and gave us a tour of the Inn, Sam was our favorite waitress, and Katie took great care of our room. The fact that I remember these names is a testament to the quality of my experience. I can't wait to come back with my whole family! Susan from Buxton Maine

Room Tip: I think a partial ocean view or ocean view are the best rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank susanrocket
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the inn after a weekend in Boston doing rehearsal dinner, wedding (son), friends, family, brunch, anniversary, birthday, social packed weekend. We needed a decompress. The Spruce Point Inn was just the ticket.

First the accommodations

Location, excellent, great setting, nice views, well maintained landscaping.

We stayed in a duplex suite right across from the salt water pool. The room had a porch with a view of the water, you enter the suite into a living room setting with a gas fired stove (wood burning effect), a couple of stairs to a bedroom area with two full or queen size beds, then the bathroom whirlpool tub and separate shower. Kuerig coffee maker, small refrigerator, wifi, tv which we never used. The room was very clean and comfortable. Small points there was only one trash can in the suite you had to make a decision where to put it we told the housekeeper but I think English was her second language. Not a deal breaker. The soap dish in the shower was broken off and missing should have been noticed by housekeeping. This adds up to perhaps then less attentive or trained housekeeping staff. Again no real deal breaker the room was gravy on top of the location. The parking is a little tough the lots are well behind the lodging a little bit of a hike however there ar no cars interfering with the views/ambiance. Speaking of hikes there are a couple of nature trails I walked the outer trail about 1 mile on both ends of the circular trail there were trees down across the path the first one was a somewhat easy get over but after walking the whole trail about 100 yards from the exit another tree was down, pretty impassable had to go around through tough thicket, some trail maintenance would be appreciated.

Secondly the dining

On our second night after being chowder and lobster rolled out we decided to eat at the Inn's fine dining restaurant "88". The setting and ambiance were spot on, nice views, upscale appointments without stuffiness. The waitstaff was very attentive but they should have been there was only two other couples in the restaurant (Thursday night don't know what that says). Before our meal they brought out an amuse bouche, a single scallop prepared as a little treat by the chef, one of the best tasting scallops i have ever had if I could have ordered a whole meal of them i would have. my wife raved sbout her dinner roll, onion with an asiago topping, very good. My wife ordered the beer and cheese soup which she said was OK but you cant always go by her she has a lmited palate and I had the ceaser salad good understated but sometimes it is made with way too much garlic. Main course stuffed haddock mashed potatoes and asparagus for her, steak, shoe string fries and cauliflower for me she liked her meal and we both noted the vegetables were cooked with a little bite left in them not the raw style that is how you are "supposed" to have them. The negative my steak was a little over cooked personally I like it to the done side of medium but this was a bit too far. I think they wanted to char the outside but with this thin cut it was a tough balancing act. They could go with a little thicker cut. The waiter paired a wine to the steak for me I am no expert but it was very good and spot on. For dessert my wife had the creme brûlée, excellent, I had the ice cream with hot fudge and brownie (nothing imaginative about that but it sounded good to me) it was a huge serving. In talking to the manager we told her it was our wedding anniversary and they comped our desserts nice touch.

Their portions are very generous considering fine dining of today means microscopic servings.

I would say that the restaurant is using quality ingedients and is making a valiant effort they just need a touch up on a few techniques and amping up the seasoning a little.

I am being a little picky we had a great time at the restaurant and the price was acceptable for what we had.

I would go back as a one night reprieve from the never ending lobster dish conga line.

We had an overall great time and felt the stay was worth what we paid.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve M
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing SPI to relax, recharge, and create oceanside memories made in Maine. I have reviewed your notes and look forward to earning that 5th star on your next visit. See you soon!

Angelo

Reviewed 5 June 2013

This resort features the Amenties of first class hotel rooms ie, Cosmopolitan & Fountainbleau but with an only slightly more rustic appeal such as knotty pine & Propane fireplaces that gives it that Maine feel. I loved it there! The Chef is excellent & the staff is wonderful. I can't think of any negatives during my stay other than I wish I had been there for play instead of work! I don't believe you would be disappointed! Town is very accessible! Enjoy! Last year I went to a different Maine resort and was very disappointed so know that if I am giving a recommendation I mean what I am saying!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
#1 of 3 in Southport
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!