“SWEET AUGUST NIGHTS”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our 18th year visiting SPI, and the first year coming without children. We just sent our last off to college and decide to treat ourselves for a 4 day getaway. GREAT IDEA!!!!
What a treat!!!! The views from every point of the inn is UNREAL. The flowers and the perennials gardens always amaze me, how well they are maintained and make SPI such a special place. Great area along the oceanfront to run/exercise.
We stayed in Tanager B, which is a nice room for a couple and faily priced. Pelican cottage and Little Spruce is a great choice for a family of 4. Our children have such fond memories of this place. The smores are a big hit with the kids!!!!!
Joe and Angelo do a terrific job. We hope to see you all next year. Thank you for a beautiful trip.
Sincerely, Megan and Peter

Room Tip: Cottages are nice for families,
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank megwalsh
There are newer reviews for Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at Spruce Point the week after the Fourth of July. Upon arrival, the young man at the front desk asked for my name and a card to charge (no welcome, no hello, very poor greeting for what is touted as quality and luxury). I gave him the card and he then informed me that our room was not ready. No worries, we went into town for provisions for the room.

Upon our return, the same young man barely greeted me and asked for the card to run for the room. I reminded him that he ran it an hour ago and he said "oh yea, hold on a minute." After pecking around on his keyboard for entirely too long, he handed us the keys to the room. Having never been there, I asked him where the room was. He handed me a map and said that he was new there... No duh. And completely incapable of providing a modicum of decent customer service. Mind you, we were the only ones there. It is not like he had some huge rush of patrons to contend with.

Upon our arrival at the townhouse we had rented, it was hot. The thermometer in the room registered 94 degrees! And the room did not have air conditioning. Mind you, we are paying $700 a night for the townhouse accommodations. I would think even in Maine that would buy you some air conditioning. The kitchen was run down and straight out of the mid 80's. The furniture in the living areas was cheap wicker and old. The bright spot was that the bathrooms had been upgraded and the beds were very nice.

I called the front desk and told them that my family of 5 was NOT staying in a room that was 94 degrees and that we needed other accommodations or air conditioners. A new lady told me to come to the front desk (quite a hike). She should have sent someone in a golf cart or something rather than having me hoof it in the heat. Upon arrival back at the front desk, she handed me keys to two rooms that were next to each other (not adjoining). I went to check them. They were well worn and small and unacceptable.

I finally got connected with Dave, the manager. He was the bright spot of the entire staff. Dave apologized that they were not prepared for the heat and told me that they would get some window ac units into the townhouse (after unhelpful lady at the front desk told me that they had given them all out and no more were available). We went to dinner and came back to an air-conditioned townhouse.

The rest of our stay was pretty good. We enjoyed the sea kayaks on property. The last day of our stay, we found out they had a rec room with ping-pong tables and games. This would have been nice to know at the start of our stay if the unhelpful front desk staff had spent a couple of minutes educating us on what was available.

We ate at Bogies a couple of times during our stay. The food was good, but the restaurant manager was oblivious. He greeted us and asked if we had reservations. We did not. He actually said "let me see if I have anything available". It was 5pm on Thursday and there was one other couple in the entire restaurant. We were seated and had a good meal. When we got up to leave, only one other family had come in to dine. The fact that he said upon our arrival "let me see if I have anything available" was just lousy customer service and came across as pretentious.

All in all, I feel that this property may have been awesome at one time. Management needs to let Dave take over as the GM and clean house. Them train the staff to provide service commensurate with the extreme prices that they charge to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank StuA79
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Spruce Point Inn. I am pleased that your stay was “very good”. We will continue to work for that 5th star.

All of our accommodations have received extensive updates over the past couple of seasons. We recognize that not everyone will agree with our decor updates. I do appreciate your comments about the wicker in 8E.

For new and returning customers, the accommodation referenced is Townhouse 8E. Image 3 through 7 of the two bedroom townhouse description on our lodging page is that of Townhouse 8E.

The two other rooms shown were in the Evergreen Lodge. Please see images 8 and 9, of the modern lodge partial-view description.

I am pleased that Manager David Langren was able to get you settled and relaxed in Townhouse 8E. The front desk clerk that was on during your check-in was not able to complete the training process and left SPI shortly after the July 4th holiday.

It was sticky and unusually hot on the entire East coast during July 4th this year. We ran short of AC units for a couple of days and immediately purchased an additional 12 units to ensure guest comfort. Since then, the weather has been quite normal.

There was also an issue with seating in the dining room that affected a number of guests that evening. Several tables had been booked for 6 and 6:30, as part of a family gathering. Due to a change in plans, these guests could not arrive until much later that evening. However, we were not notified until it was much too late. We turned a number of guests away that evening and missed an opportunity to provide great food and service to you. I apologize for this. We have since changed our reservation policy to better serve you in the future.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a “very good” experience at SPI and would return.

We will continue to work on the property and service standards at Spruce Point and look forward to earning an “excellent” rating on your next visit.

Angelo DiGiulian

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Have not stayed in the resort or eaten at their other restaurant so this is strictly about Bogie's Hideaway, their casual dining proposition. We have been going there for several summers, and have never been disappointed, except on one occasion, this summer, when my wife ordered a lobster risotto in which the lobster was very dry and tough. Otherwise, their burgers, fish and chips, steaks and other assorted goodies are top notch, in one of the best settings in Boothbay. The service, however, is a little the luck of the draw. The waiters come from overseas and take a while to be up to par, so it all depends on who waits on you. The supervising staff does try to pick up the slack however. All in all, one of our favourite places in Boothbay and highly recommendable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for review and for your loyalty to SPI. We are honored to be one of your favorite restaurants in Boothbay Harbor.

We will continue to work on our standards and training to bring improved consistency to your service experience in Bogies. I am pleased that management has been stepping in to help and support the service team when necessary. I look forward to earning that fifth star on your future visits.

Angelo DiGiulian

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Spent one night at Spruce Point Inn, and it was quite pleasant. Hallmarks are the people and location. This is great place for young families with preteen children. As many young families stay here. Lots for them to do. That being said, if you are looking for tranquility ... This is a nice place, yet based on the draw of young families it is not tranquil . If you stay here, ask for an end unit , one or four in the settings as loon etc. sunset A would also be nice. If you get a room as loon 3, housekeeping has their equipment and supplies in a closet on your front porch.... So avoid 3 in all cases. I gave this place an excellent since it is just that.. People, accommodations, food, location. Buildings are very well kept. The fact it caters to young families and thus dd not fit our thoughts on tranquility .. Is of no fault of the Inn. Come and bring the kids!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

But for the poor quality of our accomodation and a few other quibbles, this would be a near-perfect family resort. Set beautifully near the town of Boothbay Harbor, the resort offers a wide range of activities for kids, from a new playground and sandbox area to a family pool and recreation room. There is plenty of open space for the kids to run around, and the property offers a wide variety of other features/activities for the kids to explore. The staff was very helpful and accomodating, the surrounding area is full of different activities (we recommend the Botanical Gardens, the Railway Village and the Thursday farmer's market in Boothbay), and the general setting is quintessential Maine. That said:

Minor quibbles--(1) The restaurants open for breakfast, lunch and dinner at 8AM, Noon and 6PM, respectively, which for a family resort, is too late to accomodate those with young children. We have two little kids and those times prevented us from taking our meals at the resort, meaning that they lost valuable business as a result. Even opening 30 minutes earlier for each of the meals would make a big difference and make the dining process easier. (2) They could do a better job of cleaning up some of the public areas throughout the day--in particular, the Lighthouse Recreation Room and the family pool (where they need to make a more concerted effort to keep towels stocked).

Significant Issue--We stayed in Townhouse 9E. In theory, the townhouses are a great option for families, because they offer two or three bedrooms, a living room and a full kitchen, all with access to the resort and serviced by the resort's housekeepers. In practice, our townhouse was dilapidated (not quaint or charming, just old 1980s style accomodations) and in need of a complete gut renovation. For example, the dishwasher had black mold, the sofa was stained, a knob on the washing machine was missing that lets you control the temperature of the water, the doors to the deck and the unit itself would get stuck and require a big pull to open and the bathrooms were tiny with toilets that didn't always flush properly and old shower curtains in the showers. The half bath was so unappealing that we kept the door closed and never went in. Adding to the general problem was that the unit didn't feel clean, and to us, that was a bigger issue than the decor and furnishings. Housekeeping didn't bother to vaccum or clean the upstairs living room and kitchen unless expressly requested, and even then it was not thorough (by the end of the trip, we had ants trying to march out of our unit with crumbs that we dutifully tried to pick up with paper towels after mealtime). If they aren't going to provide you with a vacuum and cleaning supplies, then they need to do it themselves. Unit 9E suffers from some other negatives--it is directly across from the maintenance/housekeeping shed, and all of the maintenance vehicles and housekeepers park their cars across the street from the unit starting at 8AM or so (not the most peaceful way to start your day). We weren't expecting five-star, boutique-style accomodations, but we were expecting somewhat modern and, most importantly, clean accomodations. We did not get that. And for the price of the unit, none of this is acceptable. The front desk did refund us one night of our stay upon check-out, and we appreciated that gesture, but we would have just preferred accomodations that met our expectations.

All in all, we would love to return and would love to recommend this resort to our friends, but the quality of the accomodations (and the price for such accomodations) gives us real pause in doing so.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Townhouse 9E
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Spruce Point Inn Resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed the resort and look forward to returning next season. I am sorry that your stay was only “average” this time.

Had we been aware of your dissatisfaction with Townhouse 9E, we would have been pleased to move you.

I inspected the unit with management when it became available this week. It was occupied for several days after your stay so I could not respond immediately to your review.

I found 9E to be clean and in good working order. The unit has been rented all season with happy guests. As you suggest, the Townhouse units are very popular with families and are booked for most of the season, year after year.

I do appreciate your comments and have made a list of improvements that should be made to 9E this winter.

Thank you again for your time and review. In the future, please just let us know if there is an issue. We will quickly respond and move you to another unit, if necessary.

See you next season.

Angelo Di Giulian

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Just spent four nights at SPI and fell in love with and the ocean front views. We had a lovely room overlooking the ocean and everything was just perfect. The room was clean, the staff were all terrific from check in to check out. Breakfast was excellent and lunch outside on the deck was good. I found the quiet and the ocean views just what we needed. We will definitely be returning again next year.

Room Tip: ocean views are just magnificent
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The Spruce point Inn provides an exceptional Maine experience. We stayed in the Captains quarters which is probably the best "Inn" room we ever stayed in. Ocean Front view with a great balcony. The staff from the Innkeeper Angelo, to the resturant staff, the hotel staff etc were all very pleasent, engaging and helpful. The grounds are great and provide a lot to do, along with being 2 minutes away from Boothbay village, will all of its shops, resturants and excursions. The blueberry pancakes at the breakfast buffet were to die for. My daughter and grandson stayed in another room at the Inn so we had a great family vacation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Southport
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!