“Beautiful views and many onsite activities”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful views and many onsite activities”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Spruce Point Inn is in a beautiful location on the water just a few minutes away from downtown Booth Bay Harbor so it was very easy to got into town to browse the shops or go out for dinner. We stayed here in September so it was a bit too cold to enjoy the pools, but they offer many activities right on site including kayaking, biking - a campfire at night to make smores. The rooms were very clean and comfortable - many with views of the water. They also had a nice Green program to encourage guests to reuse sheets and towels - if you choose not to get room cleaning service one day you receive a credit toward the restaurant for the next day. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

3 Thank abmm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I have been taking our annual summer vacation to Boothbay Harbor Maine for over 20 years now. For the last five years we’ve been staying at the Spruce Point Inn Resort & Spa (SPI) where in prior years we rented houses throughout the area. Our typical vacation stay is about one week during Independence Day holiday.
Let me start by first giving my impressions of the Boothbay Harbor region and the areas within close driving distance. Since we’ve been coming to Boothbay Harbor for such a long time we pretty much know most of the places to go but some sites come and some sites go (we’ll miss the duckpin bowling at Romar’s and the I’ll miss the lattes at the Moosehead Coffee Shop).
Within the town of Boothbay Harbor there are numerous places to eat whether it’s breakfast at the Ebbtide or Mama D’s Cafe, lunch at Dunton’s Doghouse, or dinner at Andrew’s Haborside. Dessert is the peach cobbler back at the Ebbtide or blue moon ice cream at Downeast. You can also venture out to towns like Wiscasset where I have my yearly lobster roll at Red’s Eats. They have a long line but it’s worth it especially when they bring out piping hot fried shrimp for everyone waiting in line.
For family activities we usually spend most of our time at the resort because there are so many things to do (I’ll get back to that in a minute). After we take the SPI motor launch into town (yes you can drive but who wants to), we walk around to all the small shops and do some pocket booking. By the way I have two girls ages 9 and 10. Some of our favorite shops are Sherman’s Books & Stationary, Orne’s Candy store, Christmas Magic, Daffy Taffy, Shirts by the Bay, etc… If we get tired walking we might take a ride on the trolley or stop in for a cold drink at the Bridge Street Café. If it rains (in the over 20 years that we’ve been going to Maine we have not had more than a day or two of rain for the week) we’ll go to the Maine State Aquarium in Boothbay Harbor or catch a movie at the Harbor Theatre. Some of the other nearby activities are mini-golf at Dolphin Mini Golf, or visit the Boothbay Railway Village. We’ll take a train ride and see the vintage car museum. On previous vacations I played golf at the Boothbay Harbor Country Club but I rarely get to play while on vacation (did I mention I have two young girls?). A little further out we visit Pemaquid Point or go shopping at the outlets in Freeport (again two young girls).
Now onto the Spruce Point Inn Resort & Spa! There is so much to talk about I don’t know where to start. I’ll give a rendition of a typical day at SPI. The girls wake everyone as the sun comes up ready to start their day. If we’re not running into town that morning my wife will get breakfast ready while I take the girls on a walk around the resort. But it’s more like a run down to the dock to swap sea stories with Cap’n Nate who sails the Sarah Mead and Cap’n Shawn who drives the SPI motor launch. While on the way down to the dock I go into the lobby for a quick coffee or pastry. When the sea stories are over and after Cap’n Nate shows the girls his catch from his lobster traps we go look for sea glass. Next up after breakfast is to go bike riding around the resort. We usually bring our own bikes but numerous bikes are available to ride courtesy of the resort. On our bike trip we usually stop at the game room and play some ping pong, candy crane, or one of the video games. We might step outside by one of the pools (yes they have two) and play some shuffleboard as well. Although we usually spend a lot of time in the pool some of the other activities are fishing, kayaking, tennis, badminton and many others. Everything you need is provided by the resort. I have to say that I was a little nervous taking the girls kayaking on the harbor but the kayaks are so buoyant that you really aren’t in any danger of tipping over. For the parents that want to have a little alone time the resort provides supervised activities for the kids to do like Lighthouse Camp or Kid’s Night Out. The last thing we do before everyone goes to bed is the S’mores Station! Here the kids talk to all the new friends that they’ve met throughout the vacation while eating some delicious s’mores. We sit around the fire (yes July can get chilly in Maine) cooking marshmallows and talking with new found friends. We’ve even had the opportunity to meet one of the owners (Joe) and his lovely family at the S’mores Station. Joe was even nice enough to tell us what they were planning for next year and to ask our opinion of the resort and if we had any suggestions for them to improve.
Our accommodations were fabulous. Although we have always ask for the same room in Bluebird I believe most of the rooms are outfitted the same. The beds are nice and comfortable and there is a nice sitting area. Our room comes with a kitchenette which is the perfect size for our needs. The cleaning staff is always courteous and takes care of any need that we may have. But I would have to say my favorite part of the room is the porch. It is a nice place to sit and watch the sailboats while drinking a cold beer or glass of wine. There is something comforting about sitting on the porch and hearing the fog horn from Burnt Island while observing the beautiful resort grounds and harbor.
The resort also has a few restaurants. We’ve eaten at 88 and Bogies a few times and have always found the food excellent. 88 is chic while Bogies is more casual. I usually go for the lobster roll or Haddock sandwich with a nice Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. The wait staff is very courteous and we’ve always had a pleasant time.
I wanted to discuss the staff for a moment. Even with all the great things to do and see I think the main reason we always come back to SPI is the people. Whether it’s the staff or the other guests we’ve met at the resort, everyone makes you feel wanted. From the moment you checked in to the day that you leave you just never met a better group of people. My daughters talk nonstop about their vacation and how they can’t wait to go back, even 6 months later. The whole time they are on vacation they don’t break out the electronics or watch too much television. It’s all about their experience and interactions with the staff and guests. If they miss their sea stories in the morning and we’re out and about the first thing they want to do when we return to the resort is share their day with Cap’n Nate and Cap’n Shawn.
Lastly, I think the most lasting experience is the 4th of July boat trip. Right before dusk each year the Novelty pulls up to the SPI dock and takes on passengers. After the 60-70 passengers embark the Novelty takes us on a tour of the nearby islands, sharing with us some local lore. Soon after the Novelty pulls into Boothbay Harbor about a quarter mile from the fireworks barge. The fireworks show is simply spectacular with many ohhhs and ahhhs. When the show is over the Novelty heads back to SPI but on the way you can see fireworks going off from nearby towns. Needless to say my girls will talk about the 4th of July boat trip for months to come.
All in all I cannot imagine a better family vacation. Even the five and a half hour drive to and from Boothbay Harbor is a pleasant experience. The drive up is all about anticipation of what is to come and the drive home is discussing all the wonderful things that we’ve done.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbor view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Carl V
New York City
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We first came across Spruce Point when we were searching online for a wedding venue, and we fell in love with this place instantly. We were pleasantly surprised that we loved it even more the minute we stepped foot on property. So many adorable little touches from the adirondack chairs to the s'mores station. The rooms remind me of all of my childhood summer's spent in Maine cabins. Needless to say we didn't look anywhere else for a wedding venue. All of the staff (from the bar to the spa) we encountered were amazing, thoughtful and helpful. They really made everything such a pleasure and we felt they went above and beyond for us. We plan on returning every year. This hotel most definitely has a special place in our hearts!

Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Excellent time at Spruce Point Inn. Whether you decide to go biking, kayaking or just ride into Boothbay on the launch it is always peaceful and serene. Excellent accommodations and food!
A beautiful resort with lots of amenities and the cookies are awesome!

Bath, Maine
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I took several friends up to Booth Bay Harbor for the annual Fall Festival and again stayed at the Spruce Point Inn. We stayed in one of the classic cottages, Osprey. Osprey had a full kitchen and three bedrooms. We also loved the attached deck that we put to good use sipping coffee in the morning and conducting a serious cocktail hour in the evening. The SPI has it's own launch to take guests into town. My friends and I took the launch into town to enjoy the festival and stop by the local brewery. The Watershed Tavern and Brewery was one of the top stops of the festival and provided great local brews and wood fired pizza. Back at the SPI as the locals call it, I tried the salt water pool and hot tub. We also had a great breakfast buffet on Sunday morning before leaving for home. What a great weekend I hope we can go again.

Room Tip: Take a look at the pictures of the views from the website
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Rowley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife paid a boat-load of money for an overnight stay in mid-October, we had really high expectations (who won't at $300-plus a night).
She selected the Crow's Nest room which they indicated had great 360-degree views of the harbor, islands and bay.
The inn was nice enough, if you're a member of a Yachting club or drive a Jag. But there was something really missing - genuine New England friendliness, warmth and charm.
Meals were wicked overpriced, so we skipped dining there. Parking was a long walk away. Staff was indifferent, and less than accommodating.
The tourist industry is made or fails on service. This place got a big fat ZERO for service.
The room itself was OK although the bathroom was tiny and the craftsmenship of construction looked like something a hobbyist would have hobbled together.
The bed was nice, and the views a little less spectacular than anticipated. Powerlines can be photoshopped out, but don't add to the scenery.
Maybe if we'd gotten a deal, or an internet coupon to reduce the price by a third or more, I might be writing a different review.
But you get what you pay for, or do you.
We didn't.
Avoid this place at all costs unless you want to burn your money in a big heaping pile.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank newzmanpro
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Community,

I have sent an email to this guest and have not heard back as of yet. It is highly unusual to receive a review like this and so it is my hope that I may establish a dialogue and will endeavor to learn this guests point of view and how SPI may better serve them in the future.

I'll report back soon as to my progress.

Needless to say, I, and the 162 other reviewers in 2013 on SPI Trip Advisor, do not agree with this guests opinions. But, I do respect them and will do my best to make amends.

Angelo DiGiulian
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

An Australian family of three with a 7 year old daughter, travelling through New England in Fall. Stayed at Spruce Point Inn for three nights (initially planned to stay only two). Stayed in the final few weeks before they closed for the season, resulting in a great price for the room, and we had the resort pretty much to ourselves. The service was excellent, and the amenities/facilities etc. were too many to experience in our short stay. Picked Spruce Point Inn based on one photo of Boothbay Harbour, a TripAdvisor review, and the Spruce Point Inn website. None of these did the place any real justice. Boothbay Harbour is incredibly beautiful, and Spruce Point Inn was the perfect place to stay to experience it in all its glory. The room was spacious and well appointed, the main guest house charming, the restaurant and bistro meals were very good, as was the breakfast buffet. One highlight for us was the resort's complementary water taxi that ferries you to and from the township across the harbour. The resort offers complementary 1 hr+ harbour cruises in the water taxi when it's not ferrying passengers back and forth, and we had a great cruise with Ken our friendly Captain. Spruce Point Inn is one of those rare places we would consider designing a future vacation around and next time we'll stay longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Ocean Gate Resort
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#8 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!