“If they could just figure out the dining services”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is our fourth trip to SPI. We loved it so much the first time that we have since returned annually and brought two other couples along. The accommodations are top notch--love the cozy front porches off the rooms. The view is the best in all of Maine and there are lots of lovely outdoor spaces for groups to gather.

We were hopeful this year that the food service might have inched up from poor to passable and although the waitstaff was much more engaged and attentive during our stay, the food service just misses the mark. During Windjammer Days and sitting on the coast of Maine it is a real head scratcher that the restaurant could run out of lobster in their dining room. After years of poor dinner service our group chose not to make a fuss and simply left to find dinner elsewhere. The breakfast buffet on the other hand was much improved and Byron in particular was attentive and personable. Check in was messy due to computers being down and at check out our bills/rooms had been switched. One guest assistant was very nice and took care of the issue, the other was just plain snarky.

We will return as the rooms, ambiance, and view are second to none and we will breakfast "in" but most definitely our party of six will be spending future evening dinner dollars elsewhere in Boothbay Harbor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen L
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased you had another excellent stay at Spruce Point. We have been receiving wonderful feedback on our dining services but I know that occasionally mistakes will be made.

I'm sorry that we fell short of lobsters for your order. This is really inexcusable. I've spoken with Chef about this and he has already increased the catch from our local lobster fishery.

Please contact me on your next visit and thank you again for your fine compliments and suggestions for improvement. We will keep working hard and smart for you.

Adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Beutiful location; great rooms; New Management; same lousy food service/planning. Great expectations, but.... 3 of 4 in our dinner party were informed that their order could not be fulfilled, because they had run out of lobster and bibb lettuce before 8:00 pm. Computer system down at check-in so they switched room billing on two of us. Wait-staff much improved over last visit two years ago, especially Brian who handled breakfast and remembered the special dietary needs of one in our group. Thanks so much, Brian. Looking forward to next visit, but still leary of their dinners.

• Stayed: June 2014
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Spruce Point. I am pleased that you had another very good stay and enjoyed our location, amenities, and accommodations. I am sorry that the kitchen ran short of items that evening. We will be sure to increase our preparation to keep up with the increased pace of visitors to our restaurants.

If you have time before your next visit, please contact me directly so that I may make an advanced reservation for you and your guests in Bogies.

adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We recently participated in the Inn's program which showcased local beer, wine, and dining along with a tour of a local farm and the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. What a splendid three days! The selection of businesses we visited were first quality and an opportunity to explore some areas we might not have discovered on our own. The Inn provided an ideal place to meet with the other attendees in a casual and comfortable setting. We especially enjoyed the exquisite dinner prepared by Chef Brooks Roberts, which was offered at the culmination of the program. It was a spectacular way to say goodbye to the new friends we met.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We would like to extend a HUGE thank you to the Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa staff for helping to make our daughter's wedding experience breathtakingly spectacular. The premises are gorgeous, the rooms are spacious and a "10" in cleanliness, the service and staff are so kind and helpful, and they make you feel like royalty. The food ...well.... it was beyond our expectations. Congratulations SPI for going up and beyond to make our daughter's dream come true! We will be visiting again in the near future and for the years to come. Highly recommended to all ! P.S. We could not believe the different activities available to all age groups!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Old school charm in a fantastic setting with a fantastic staff. You feel the fldiffefrnce the minute you drive up the private drive. This is no chain experience and that makes it special. Bring a good book and watch the tide roll in.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank JudyL15
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was probably best hotel/resort in area. We stayed in Starboard cabin (4 bedrooms--3 bath). It was nice and 'vintage'. Bathroom off MBR was super small, no room to set my toothbrush except top of toilet (yuck). Cabin was quaint--lots of wood and east coast 1970 vintage. Hardly any kitchen stuff. I think mainly plates, forks, knives and pots and pans with a few bowls. No pepper, no sugar, no…..so cooking not encouraged too much. Upstairs floors were creaky creaky….needed a shade on MBR sitting area door. Room heaters were nice. Porches were nice, but could use more seating. This cabin sits right across from bay/pool/dock. Beds were comfy. Upstairs bathroom malfunctioned, but they fixed next day. Extra bathroom off kitchen was greatly appreciated and used. Price was very pricey, but I guess they have just a 4-6 month season. I have paid less for stand alone house rentals that were much larger, but….Resort landscaping was very nice. WIFI was AWEFUL. I envisioned a quiet week getting some work down while husband was in meeting….no internet in some areas of cabin and when on it went off and on. Probably just indicative of rural area.

We reserved the 'sail' boat for a private sail. That cost $300 to have them put up one small sail and motor (via electric motor) the Sarah Mead out into the harbor and back for 1.5 hours. Kind of boring. Was supposed to be a 'sunset' sail, but ended 1.25 hours before sunset. Captain was fun and nice, but this was way too much money for value.

We traveled with my husband on a business trip; lots to do in area. We got stuck in airport and we were a day late arriving; still had to pay for room, but they could have given us some food coupons or something for $800 a night we didn't use.

Breakfast buffet was very bad; go down street to local diner instead. I asked for NO MEAT omelet and got a ham omelet. Bacon was greasy. Store bought muffins, sausage was good. I asked for hot tea and all they had was 'fruity herbal tea'. I asked if they had Earl Grey, they looked, nope they didn't (with attitude). My daughter thought pancakes were bad and wouldn't finish. She's never met a pancake she didn't like. The reason I'm going on and on is cost was $15 a person. Food was sub-par. We tried the 'nice' restaurant one night. Waiter was distracted and hardly came by. He served us doughy dinner roles about 25 minutes after I asked for them and our salad was already done. We didn't order entree as we didn't care for the path that was going down.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BMW1200RT
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your week long stay at Spruce Point Inn in the Starboard Cottage.

I think it's only fair to tell folks that you were a party of 2 adults and 2 children in an accommodation that sleeps 7 guests. The Starboard was the private home of the family that owned the Inn from 1957 to 1988. I understand that we may have fallen short for you in some areas and I will certainly meet with management today to discuss your comments....but, with your questioning the value, it is only fair to accurately reflect that this unit is designed for 4 adults and 3 children. It is occupied 95% of the season by many return guests.

Trip Advisor guests may view this unit and it’s bathrooms by visiting www.sprucepointinn.com/cottages.

The rate for a sunset sail aboard Sarah Meade is $50.00 per guest. If you were not treated to the full 2 hour sail, I would be glad to compensate you. I apologize for our misstep.

I would also extend to you the same courtesy with respect to your breakfast. Guests have been very pleased with the resorts dining services, however, I recognize we will make mistakes. I also noticed that the pancakes have been getting “hard” in the chafing pan. Clearly, it is being allowed to run at too high a temperature. This issue was recently corrected.

I am sorry that your visit was just average for you. I do hope that you enjoyed the beautiful mid- coast location of Boothbay Harbor. I would be pleased to recommend another property for you for your next visit, if you prefer.

SPI is not for everyone. And, that is OK.

adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I are wandering the coast of Maine and picked this hotel for a 2 night stay. From the moment you enter the property you know you are in a special place. Our room faced the water and the view was spectacular and we had a great porch to enjoy it. The resort has all the "toys" 2 pools, tennis courts, shuffle boards, kayaks, a kids camp, shuttle service to the town and also a launch service (water taxi) to town. We were amazed at the beauty and service at this hotel and will definitely return,

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 3 in Southport
Hampton Inn Bath Brunswick
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf Resort
Boothbay Harbor Oceanside Golf R...
#5 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!