“Great vacation but the spa needs help”

Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Cary, North Carolina
“Great vacation but the spa needs help”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

If we had not scheduled a massage I would only have good things to say about the resort. We scheduled a massage in the "Zen garden". I'm not sure where to start with this. It is right beside the tennis courts so my husband and I were wondering if "pops" was going to make it during our massage! His son kept telling him to drink water and worrying about him, in fact, so were we!!! On the other side of the "zen garden" was the kids pool so if we were not worrying about the tennis match we were listening to kids screaming all while some light music was playing on an iPhone! It was like a Seinfeld episode with a $290.00 price tag. It was not very relaxing! There was a tent by the ocean but it was not ver private either and cool. With all the property you would think there would be a more relaxing place for a massage. We had dinner there that night and it was wonderful, our waiter was very antimated and took good care of us! We enjoyed talking with him. We also enjoyed our boat ride over to town and the bikes were wonderful! When we checked in they had apparently lost power and someone needed a blow up mattress so we didn't really get information, he just said it was in the bag! We did not know where anything was or that we needed reservations for the boat, it was booked on the 1st trip, we could have been told more information when we arrived!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 757Canes1
SPCCapital, Owner at Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Spruce Point Inn. I am pleased you had a very good stay and would return. Your comments are very much appreciated and we will work on that 5th star on your next visit and discuss your Spa experience today.

I agree that an outdoor massage carries with it the potential of unwanted noise of the annoying kind. The sea side massage, with lobster boats passing by and an occasional fog horn in the distance, was an issue one time last year and so I provided the staff with a Bose noise cancelling headphone, as well as, headphones with relaxing music. I was pleased that seemed to work. What I believe happened this time is that we had a new therapist who did not know that as a standard of service, we provide this type of equipment.

It was an error on our part and I would be glad to refund the service. I am sorry that we missed this opportunity to provide the headphones at the time.

The seaside massage, some 20 feet from the ocean, is really a spectacular setting that I have not seen in all my travels. I highly recommend it as guests have always been wowed. The Spa sun deck is also a special location in that you are just about in the woods. But, alas, outdoors is outdoors and there are other guests around and children will be children.

I'm so glad you enjoyed everything else. In particular the dining venues and amenities. Thank you for visiting.

If you would please email me and let me know your lodging information, I will see that the charges get reversed.

Safe travels home.

Angelo Di Giulian, Co-Owner
adigiulian@sprucepointinn.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After a fabulous week of enjoying all that the Spruce Point Inn has to offer I just had to write a review. It is the quintessential Maine summer resort. They have updated, (not everything!,) but haven't lost the simple elegance of Maine. The kayaks that are available, (first come, first serve) for all guests to explore the coastline and the nearby islands, the launch in to town leaves no one stranded at the inn, Bogie's has one delicious burger when you tire of the plentiful seafood & then there is the spa...
Let's just say, we wore that place out. Being greeted by Stacie, who is just adorable and so helpful and nice with the scheduling, having a massage by Sue was fantastic, my husband thoroughly enjoyed his massage by Joel and then my daughter & I had mani/pedi's by Stacie, the nail tech. So relaxing. It was a real vacation. Our whole family had the vacation of their lives - grandparents, parents & grandchildren.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our family of 18 thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The staff was helpful and friendly. The accommodations were very comfortable and the grounds were spectacular. Captain Ken took us on a couple of harbor tours and that was a highlight of our trip. He was full of knowledge about the area and very flexible with our schedule. We would definitely come back here again!

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Chris and I recently were married on the exquisite grounds of Spruce Point Inn early this past June. It is almost difficult for me to capture how wonderful our experience was in words. The staff, particularly Natasha Thom and Carolyn Laroche, went ABOVE AND BEYOND for us during our wedding process. As a bride, it was so comforting to know that I was working with people who cared so much about their job as they did about our wedding. They became like family to us. And that is what SPI is all about--making you feel like family.
Chris and I feel so very fortunate to say that we were married at one of the most breathtaking places on earth. Although it may sound canned; it's true. From the landscape to the lodging options, to the oceanfront deck to the chartered boat rides around the harbor, to the farm-to-table food options, to the relaxing spa services; it was truly the BEST weekend of our lives.
As a native of Maine and Chris, a Michigander-- we could've chosen many places to get married. SPI gave us the gift of the most beautiful destination wedding and accommodated nearly 170 of our guests, who traveled from all over the world to be with us. The guests are still talking about the wedding weekend to this day. And we are too! It was truly magical; a weekend that will always be the best one of our lives.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful! You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank Chris and Carol... L
Burlington, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We recently stayed in a woodland view cottage room with our two teenage kids. (We were in Sunset D). While we did not have a direct view out the window of the Harbour we did from our porch. The room itself was decent sized and the smaller room with a twin beds was a bonus for our family and small but good for one. The bathroom was quite small. A tub, toilet and a pedestal sink. You could not get ready in it as there was no electrical sockets. The tub and sink were older and in some areas had cracks, but not leaking. It was clean though. The larger bedroom had the area set up outside the bathroom with a large dessor that had a mirror over it. This is where we got ready. Only problem was lighting wasn't great and as a woman who both blow dries and uses a curling iron I would recommend a power strip for this area so lamp on the dress or could be used. The furniture was older wood furniture which did smell musty so we did not put clothing in it. There were 3 closets but only hangers in one. No big deal to us. The room was clean and in good order. Housekeeping came daily but quite early (9 am for us on vacation is early). Since we were only staying 3 nights we decided to for go it for two of ours days. If there was breakfast offered anywhere it was not mentioned. On our second day we saw they served lunch on the patio or Bogies. We did not eat at the resort, but did have drinks and dessert in Bogies every night. Anna (from Dublin, Ireland) was the bartender and was a fantastic person. She was very personable and can see her doing very well in hospitality. The resort participates in work away which brings in staff from Europe and South Africa. These people can work in the states for about 3 years and work in seasonal locations like Maine, Florida, Nnew York, and other resort locations. They also have locals and college aged staff. I did not see any problems with the staff. Everyone we saw was getting served in a timely manner and staff was friendly and engaged with them. The resort itself was wonderful with a lot of activities for families or couples. I did go into the spa at one point, but did not participate in services. I can say the spa receptionist that day seemed a little snotty and turned me off from going back or calling to book.
Things to note... Our room had no air conditioning....this is noted in the small type but I missed it. It wasn't super hot so we were ok. I understand they would install one if we asked. It is a 2 mile walk in to town. The resort offers a shuttle every two hours. We just drove. If you go and there is fog conditions the coast guard fog horn goes off every 20 seconds until the conditions drop to a non fog level. We listed to it until 11pm one night and then it started back up at 4 am. The resort can not control this, but I am noting it. The wifi connectivity is almost non existent. While I was ok our teens were challenged by this.... The business center which we did have to use one day was connected well.

The resort is lovely and well cared for. It is great for families and couples. It is quiet and peaceful and my husband and I said we felt like it was the summer camp of our youth.

1 Thank Staci L
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We only had one night to allow for this small town. We however needed more. The Spruce Point Inn has a great awe inspiring view. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had a shower and a huge bath tub. Our only regret is we only had one night here. I will be back someday

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Terri W
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a beautiful property. Amazing landscaping. Great place for families. Lots of outdoor activities. Rented bikes, hiked. Room was spacious. Furniture not so great.looked like old furniture. Food average, breakfast lunch and dinner. Staff very nice. Seemed the wait staff was pretty new and in need of training. One gal from Ireland was really on the ball and was putting out fires with the rest of staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates
Brown's Wharf Inn
Brown's Wharf Inn
#3 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!