“Summer sailing on the Lazy Jack”
Review of Schooner Lazy Jack

Schooner Lazy Jack
Ranked #9 of 15 Tours in Boothbay Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Lazy Jack takes her lines from the traditional Gloucester fishing schooners of the 1850's and has had a colorful and notorious history as a fishing and passenger charter schooner. During the early years Lazy Jack sailed between the East Coast, Man O War Key and Cuba running guns, rum, cigars and bananas. Today Lazy Jack offers 2 hr. day sails or private charters from Pier 1 in Boothbay Harbor celebrating 66 years of continuous sailing and 10 years as Boothbay Harbors only historic working schooner. Lazy Jack is owner operated by Captain Joe Tassi and his son Michael.
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The Schooner Lazy Jack has helped me host multiple visitors to Boothbay Harbor, Maine over the summer of 2013. Captain Joe Tassi and his son, Michael, are unfailingly gracious hosts, with an ability to tailor each trip to its participants. Having participated in 7-8 Lazy Jack cruises over the June-September time frame, I have observed a range of interaction between Joe and Michael and their guests -- from responding informatively to multiple questions and requests for information to providing a comfortable environment for sailors who prefer to carry on their own conversations. The Schooner Lazy Jack is a wonderful Boothbay Harbor activity.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a weather dependent adventure. With that in mind, we had a very nice two hour sail out and back to Boothbay Harbor, on a cool, fall day with sun going in and out of clouds. Boat sails very smoothly and there is a lots of room for folks. Capt. Joe narrates the area, allows guests to steer the boat and get photo ops at the wheel, if you want. Bring snacks and layers always.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Great two hours on the water with a full load. We were fortunate to be seated in the area where the captain steered and we had a wonderful conversation throughout the trip. Lots of fun, lots to learn about the bay, the boat, etc. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

First off, I've waited 2 weeks to write this review. We are 2 seniors who called to inquire about availability on 8/28 for the 12:30 sailing. Told they had availability we made our way to the dock. We were greeted warmly at 11:30, paid our fare and told to go grab a lunch or drink. We came back at 12:15 and were taken down to the schooner by Mike, the Captain's son. We took a seat and were greeted by Captain Jack who then told us we would see little because of the fog. We watched the Schooner Eastwind go out with a large number on board. We told Captain Jack we wanted to go and he stated that if it were him, he would wait until the followiñg day. We walked back to the kiosk and made arrangements to go out on 8/29 at 12:30. We arrived the next day at our appointed time and 3 young women were to also be on this sailing. Again, we were led to the schooner and took our seats. We no sooner left the dock and it became evident there was a problem. We were told the fuel pump had been replaced the day before. Sails were put up and the Captain now went below trying o fix the problem. Mike steered the boat and tried to handle the sails as we went up one side and then down the other. Jack tried to start the engines numerous times without success. No narration, no chit-chat, no chance tô take the wheel, nothing. Just trying to hold on. The last 30 minutes Jack and Mike were on their cellphones and appeared to be frantic. What we think was the emergency horn, was blown. We were not told anything. Finally, Jack told us that they could not bring the vessel into port without an engine and that he had finally reached the harbor master who would come along side of us and bring us to the dock. The harbor master did get us safely to the dock. The Captain told us as we exited the vessel that "we gave you an adventure". No - gee folks I'm sorry or how about a partial refund or whatever. We thought we were going out on a relaxing sail - not a scared to death adventure. This experience left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. Yeah - we got back. If you are reading this, we did the schooner Surprise in Camden and it was A++.

5  Thank doloresandjeff
captainjoe1, Owner at Schooner Lazy Jack, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Delores: I am sorry that you had a "Bad Experience" on the Lazy Jack. Yes, we did have a fuel pump failure. Did you know that once a diesel engine loses it's prime it has to be bled out so that it is free of air in any number of parts of the fuel system even after the fuel supply has been restored? If you didn't know this, this may come as news to you. I did try as you wrote several times to restart the engine after bleeding certain parts of the fuel system but with a failed pump it would not prime and restart. I had a number of decisions to make at that point and with the wind conditions as they were, I felt that we could sail for a while and make arrangements for assistance in the event I could not sail the boat back to the dock. I am sorry that I couldn't "chit chat" with you while I was trying to contact near by vessels, my office and the harbor master in order to put several contingency plans into action. Not everyone was immediately available and it took some time. But I did explain and maybe you missed it what was happening and our options and that we were in no danger. It was my hope that the wind would continue to blow from the NE and even though not a perfect wind direction for sailing back to the dock, I believed with 44 years of sailing experience, I could manage it. Unfortunately, the wind turned due north and as I'm sure you must be aware, a sailing vessel cannot sail directly into the wind. That left us with needing assistance to come in or short tacking through the crowded mooring fields on both sides of the channel which could have taken another hour or so and put you in greater danger. The harbor master was contacted and stood on station off Tumbler Island and took my instructions and came abreast on starboard, tied onto us and guided us back to our dock with out incident. You got to sail and you were returned to the dock unhurt and able ( 2) weeks later to complain about it. Regarding the use of my competitors names in your review and decisions that they made, is simply irrelevant. As a 100 ton Master Captain it is my decision and mine alone as to whether we go out in any condition. I thought it was in your best interest not to sail in thick fog and to sail another day when the whether was better. That my competitor elected to take passengers out into a dense fog bank, that passengers agreed to sail into thick fog was their decision. But it leaves me wondering what your review might have been if I had taken you out into thick fog and you saw nothing except fog for two hours. You mentioned another competitor in Camden, they are good friends of mine and I am glad you had an A+ time. I wonder though, did you ask them what they would have done if their fuel pump failed?

Reviewed 25 August 2013

If you have to choose between a crowded tour boat, a whale watch, or a personally skippered schooner sail, the hands down best value for your time and money in Boothbay Harbor is the Schooner Lazy Jack.

My wife and I enjoyed her first ever sailing experience with Captain Joe and First Mate Mike. First, the Lazy Jack is a beautiful boat. The views of scenic Boothbay Harbor are incredible. But Captain Joe seals the deal with casual conversation, engaging every passenger and answering questions about travel, sailing, music, etc and etc.

Believe it, you will love this experience.

captainjoe1, Owner at Schooner Lazy Jack, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Jean and Marc: It always make us feel like we are doing our job when guests get the most out their sailing adventure. I am so glad that you enjoyed the trip and the conversation. I have had some very interesting guests this year to which you are included. Thanks for sailing with us.