“Disappointing”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Boothbay Harbor
Portland, Maine
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I go to Boothbay for a weekend every summer with my adult stepdaughter. Having worked summers in Boothbay when in college, I love the town and look forward to going each year! The shopping is great, the restaurants are mostly great, and the people are friendly and welcoming. We like to get a suite, so that we can each have some space, but still be together. Last year we stayed in a suite at the Rocktide and it was fine. This year, not so fine. The first night we were there, we couldn't get the tv to work. As it turned out, you need 2 remotes to operate the tv, and there was just 1. We didn't find that out until the next day, though, because the maintenance guy leaves at 4:00. Okay - a minor glitch. We brought a bottle of nice wine and two acryllic wine glasses and we enjoyed the evening anyway. The next day, after walking around town, my stepdaughter wanted to enjoy a hot bath in the jacuzzi tub, but the tub wouldn't hold water. We called the front desk (again), and they sent up the valet, who was very sweet, but couldn't figure it out. Again, we were out of luck, because the maintenance guy left at 4:00. We were annoyed, but could work it out - we'd finish the bottle of wine! Sadly, my nice travelling wine glasses were nowhere in evidence, and my bone china tea cup was missing as well. Again, I called the front desk. The clerk on duty was unconcerned and offered no solution. (Maybe send up glasses from the bar, maybe with a bottle of wine?)It was upsetting to me that the maid took personal items out of my room, and although I didn't rant, the clerk knew that, but was apparently not trained in how to handle complaints or what to do to make up for a lapse in service. The maid came up the next morning and apologized very sweetly to my stepdaughter - she thought they belonged to the hotel. Okay, I get that. She made a mistake, probably from a lack of training. It was the front desk's response that was annoying. "Oh well!" When we checked out, I asked for some compensation and told that the front desk people are not authorized to do anything, and I was lucky the desk manager was there. She found and gave me my tea cup back and took 40.00 off my 400.00 bill. No wine glasses. Now, I've worked in the hospitality industry, and I know that mistakes happen. It's all about how they're handled. If they're going to charge big boy prices, they need to up their game.

Room Tip: The corner suites are very nice. The breakfast buffet is adequate.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We have been going to the Rocktide for more than 20 years and always have loved it. Although the bathrooms are small it was always clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the owner recently passed away. I was there this summer and noticed some negatives.The rooms need updating, the cleanliness was below par and the service at their normally wonderful ( included in the price) buffet b-fast was not up to their usual par. I fogave the lax in room cleanliness last summer as no one is perfect and we all have down times.This year though, was worse. I am afraid if someone doesn't act soon they will loose their appeal. Too bad as they have one of the best views in Boothbay Harbor. I hope they use the winter to regain their status as a clean and comfy hotel at a reasonable price. We loved this place but until I hear of big changes , I won't go back.But, as for their bar and dinner, I still would frequent the place. great view , good food and the greatest popovers and finan haddie. Hopefully, they will do something fast!! Good luck to them.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank paskey36
portland me
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I love this hotel because of the location and the indoor pool but the rooms are old and smelly and the bathroom had seen better days. The footbridge brings you straight across the water to the downtown area of boothbay. I think it is the only indoor pool in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
center harbor
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Surprised that we got a late reservation over Labor Day Weekend! And what a deal.....included breakfast and opted for the special that also included dinner. Meals were very good and the GIANT popovers....just a wonderful touch. So, to mention the room.....can't complain, had everything we needed.....after all who spends much time in the room when there is so much to do in Boothbay Harbor? The only remark I will make is that the towels need to be replaced, they were frayed and not very large towels. We will return, this was a great value!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

Place had lots of seafood options. Food was good. The popovers were delicious! View was amazing especially at sunset. Bar area was nice and updated and I did not understand why very little amount of people was at it.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I enjoyed the views of the harbor. Staff was very friendly. No fridge in the room. Just a short walk to shopping and restaurants. The person at the desk was nice after a horrible day with plane delays. The guy doing valet parking for the restaurant was also very friendly but watch out when he backs up. They put orange cones up to save spaces for guests in the lot.

Room Tip: When booking, make sure to ask for a good view. The rooms are kind of angled so that more rooms h...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing weekend at the Rocktide Inn. Not our first choice, as I originally tried to book a B&B but could not find one with less than a 3 night minumum and Rocktide had 2 nights available.
We were in a lovely 2 room suite on the second floor on the end of the hallway so it felt as if the balcony was truly private. The view of the harbor was lovely and quite relaxing, in spite of the fog and mist almost all weekend. The room was spacious and looked like something in a boutique hotel. Appointed with fridge, microwave and coffeemaker, it was ideal except for 2 things. The lighting in the bathroom over the mirrors was poor and could be alleviated with the addition of lights directly over the mirrors. The mattress was very uncomfortable. I would think when a hotel updates their rooms that they would update the mattresses as well.
Breakfast was included and was adequate, but nothing special. We did not eat dinner there, but enjoyed other local restaurants.
The location is great - a quick walk over the quaint foorbridge brings your right into the heart of the harbor.
We would probably return here again.

Room Tip: We loved the suite on the second floor at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple