I go to Boothbay for a weekend every summer with my adult stepdaughter. Having worked summers in Boothbay when in college, I love the town and look forward to going each year! The shopping is great, the restaurants are mostly great, and the people are friendly and welcoming. We like to get a suite, so that we can each have some space, but still be together. Last year we stayed in a suite at the Rocktide and it was fine. This year, not so fine. The first night we were there, we couldn't get the tv to work. As it turned out, you need 2 remotes to operate the tv, and there was just 1. We didn't find that out until the next day, though, because the maintenance guy leaves at 4:00. Okay - a minor glitch. We brought a bottle of nice wine and two acryllic wine glasses and we enjoyed the evening anyway. The next day, after walking around town, my stepdaughter wanted to enjoy a hot bath in the jacuzzi tub, but the tub wouldn't hold water. We called the front desk (again), and they sent up the valet, who was very sweet, but couldn't figure it out. Again, we were out of luck, because the maintenance guy left at 4:00. We were annoyed, but could work it out - we'd finish the bottle of wine! Sadly, my nice travelling wine glasses were nowhere in evidence, and my bone china tea cup was missing as well. Again, I called the front desk. The clerk on duty was unconcerned and offered no solution. (Maybe send up glasses from the bar, maybe with a bottle of wine?)It was upsetting to me that the maid took personal items out of my room, and although I didn't rant, the clerk knew that, but was apparently not trained in how to handle complaints or what to do to make up for a lapse in service. The maid came up the next morning and apologized very sweetly to my stepdaughter - she thought they belonged to the hotel. Okay, I get that. She made a mistake, probably from a lack of training. It was the front desk's response that was annoying. "Oh well!" When we checked out, I asked for some compensation and told that the front desk people are not authorized to do anything, and I was lucky the desk manager was there. She found and gave me my tea cup back and took 40.00 off my 400.00 bill. No wine glasses. Now, I've worked in the hospitality industry, and I know that mistakes happen. It's all about how they're handled. If they're going to charge big boy prices, they need to up their game.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rocktide Inn & Restaurant has been harboring good times on the east side of beautiful Boothbay Harbor since 1968. With 91 rooms, including six suites, the Rocktide has something to offer everyone. With stunning harbor views, the restaurant and the On the Rocks Lounge boast a vibrant menu, relaxing atmosphere and stellar service- a great addition to your stay at the Rocktide Inn. Spectacular sunsets nightly, complimentary with your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Agoda so you can book your Rocktide Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocktide Hotel Boothbay Harbor
- Rocktide Inn Boothbay Harbor, Maine