“Afternoon Snack”
Review of chowder house

chowder house
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stopped by to see the "boat bar" which was not open due to weather. It rained our entire trip :) We opted for a basket of wings and a couple of coffee drinks. Staff was friendly, wings were edible and the bartender who made our drinks stopped to chat with us! Overall, not a bad visit. We were originally seated next to a family with 3 small children who were exceptionally loud...we were walking out (choosing not to eat here) when the owner stopped and suggested we relax in the "bar" area. Nothing exceptional, but good for a drink or two.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This looked like a nice restaurant on the sea front with an interesting sailing boat turned into a bar. The menu prices also looked reasonable. It is a pity I didn't check the comments on Trip Advisor first! Their food was the worst I have ever tasted in the whole of New England. My wife's spare ribs were very spare -- just four small ribs. My hamburger with a sliver of cheese was poor by any standards. Nor we're we impressed with the plastic cutlery. We did, however, have a very nice chat with waitress, but that was the only positive thing in the restaurant. There are plenty more restaurants in Boothbay Harbour. I suggest you try them all first.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We had lunch - VERY limited menu. My salad with smoked salmon was good. Sandwiches (grilled cheese for one and artichoke parmesan for other were rejected as blah) too much bread, not enough filling. Blueberry pie was a 7 out of 10. Service was fairly good but not great and all plastic ware. Stay for the view, elsewhere for food.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The service was bad (the bar tender yelled towards us from the bar), food and drinks were served on plastic with plastic spoons and forks. We opted for water instead of alcohol and we rapidly became "persona-non-grata". While the smoked salmon chowder was tasty, it did not make up for the awful lobster chowder or the lobster roll. Over 30$ for 2 chowders and a bad lobster roll. For a place called the Chowder House, they should actually deliver what they call themselves.

1  Thank Martin R
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The clam was the worst I ever had. It was all liquid and a few potatoes. God knows where the haddock was. There wasn't any. When I told the waitress, her reply was I saw him put it in. She returns and comes back with a spoonful of shredded haddock that was floating on the top of the soup. She says there you go its in the middle , gave me a dirty look and walked away. I lost my apetite. My husband ordered a grilled cheese and it arrived on a hamburger bun with what looked like a slice of velveta.
The people next to me ordered a grilled barbecue chicken sandwich which looked like they took a bottle of barbecue sause and squirted it on top of the sandwich.
Beer was like luke warm.
The place is a diaster. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Everything is poor quality. Its a shame because it has a great atmosphere but was ruined by the nighmare food.

1  Thank Linda H