“A Year-Round Special Occasion Choice in Boothbay Harbor”

The Thistle Inn Restaurant
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A piece of authentic Maine history, The Thistle Inn still stands as a place to gather and celebrate what makes life all the more worth living: great food, great company, and a home away from home. Originally built in 1861 for a prominent sea captain, our restaurant and Inn embody the unique period character of Maine’s past, with updated fixtures for modern comfort. From our seaside favorites to our world-class wine list, our menu is an exploration of classic coastal cuisine prepared with nature’s freshest ingredients. Guests looking to extend their visit will find six different lodging options at their fingertips, and the best of Boothbay Harbor just a short walk from their quarters. Whether it’s a meal that brings you to us, or an escape to our quaint Inn, we invite you to relax, stay awhile, and soak up some true downeast hospitality.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We always look forward to coming here. In the summer, the outdoor garden with the lights in the trees provide a magical atmosphere. Despite being so close to downtown, the garden is quiet and a wonderful place to enjoy a leisurely dining experience. In the winter, the bar is cozy, the dining rooms are full of people you know. There are always wonderful choices on the ever-changing menu. We think of The Thistle as a special-occasion place to be enjoyed often, like to celebrate - It's Friday!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ate there last sunday with my wife both had a great meal. I had the $32 Steak a aged 30 day filet with mashed potatoes beets and spinach with a little sauce, That was great. My wife had the Spagetti squash on a portabella mushroom with other veggies in it She loved it.Its not to cheap but well worth the money. For a app, try the yellowfin tata tuna that also was great.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant is in BBH, a sea coast town. Most restaurants in town have great views. This restaurant does not have a view of the water. The food exceeds the lack of a view. The food is consistently great. We have been here many times and we are never disappointed. The crab appetizer is always a treat. Last night I enjoyed the scallop special. The food's presentation could be featured in a magazine. After admiring the presentation, I was delighted by the very tender scallops. They were medium sized, pan seared, and truly a culinary delight.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We made a reservation at The Thistle Inn Restaurant on the recommendation of friends, who raved about it. When we got there, we were thanked for making a reservation and shown to a table in the back room of the restaurant, which felt a little isolated. The server was quick to take our drink and then dinner orders, and the meal came out in within about 10-15 minutes of our arrival, faster than many casual food restaurants and before I had had even half of my cocktail. There seemed to be no consideration of timing whatsoever.

The food was superb, no doubt of that. I had baked haddock with jasmine rice and a horseradish aoili, and perfectly al dente steamed asparagus, and my spouse had the fish & (truffle oil) chips. The temperatures were perfect, both fish were melt-in-your-mouth, and the truffle fries were out of this world yummy.

I ordered a glass of wine for dinner and before I had even finished half of that, we had out check. ? I don't think I've ever felt so rushed eating anyplace. We lingered over our unfinished drinks but still were out of there less than an hour after arriving, stunned by the frantic pacing in what we thought was an elegant, fine-dining establishment.

To top it off, the waitress went into great detail with the table next to us about why she didn't like the beer my spouse had ordered and was happily drinking, which just seemed gauche and tactless to say the least.

I doubt we will return, though the food was delicious.

2  Thank mmwm
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We ate here the week before Memorial Day and did not expect it to be crowded, but there was a line at the door outside waiting for the 5 p.m. opening. Once we began to dine we understood why people are clamoring to get in -- the meal was an epicurean journey. It began with delicious freshly baked bread. I had the heirloom caprese salad with burrata that was fantastic. My husband and I shared some Glidden Point oysters which are grown locally and are meaty and fresh with just the right hint of the sea. I got the Angus Beef ribeye for my main course and it was bursting with flavor. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. All this delicious food, along with a bottle wonderful bottle of wine, made for a great dining experience. If you visit Boothbay Harbor, be sure to make a reservation early -- I'm sure it is mobbed in the summer -- and prepare yourself for one of the best meals you'll ever have.