“Thanksgiving in July”

Brown's Wharf Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Thursday and Sunday night specials include by tradition a real Thanksgiving Dinner. A delicious plate piled high with white and dark meat, mashed potatoes, stuffing, butternut squash, giblet gray and whole berry cranberry sauce. Possibly the best value in town. It's also one of the happiest dining rooms I've ever been in. Everyone seems to know everyone else, the staff is always smiling, prompt and courteous - very refreshing in this day and age. An absolute must.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

It was my 30th birthday weekend and we had already tried some other great restaurants in town, so decided to check the 'highly rated' Ports of Italy. While I know this review isn't about them (see my full review on their page), suffice it to say we felt very unwelcome there and walked out. I might be slightly long winded here, so if you're impatient and don't want to read until the end, here's the conclusion first: THIS PLACE IS GREAT AND YOU SHOULD GO HERE!

Ok, for those who want to read on: The skies cleared from an overcast, dreary day, so we decided we wanted to find an outdoor seating restaurant that had good food, a great view of the harbor and of course the sunset.

We somewhat 'stumbled upon' Brown's Wharf (on Trip Advisor of course) as it was on the other side of the harbor from that other place we tried to go....

We walked in and immediately felt welcomed and asked to sit on the back deck. With no hesitation, the hospitable hostess brought us out with a smile.

Sally was our waitress, and like many of the staff there, is a seasoned veteran at Brown's, which made us feel even more welcomed and at ease.

The drink and food were very good. Not the best I've ever had in my entire 30 years, but certainly right up there with all the other 'top rated' restaurants in Boothbay. We started with mussels which were tasty and fresh, then I had seafood risotto and my lady had gulf shrimp scampi: both very yummy and we'd both order again for sure.

We were very full so declined dessert and just wanted to sit with our wine for a while watching the sunset--there was never a sense of being rushed out of there like at other spots. Then, to my surprise and delight, most of the wait staff appears through the sliding door accompanied by Sally playing the banjo (!!!!) to all sing me 'Happy Birthday'! Elated and blushing, I blew out my candle, thanked them all, gave Sally a huge hug and enjoyed the delicious chocolate cupcake they had prepared for me.

In conclusion, it has been quite some time since I have been to a restaurant so filled with genuine kindness, hospitality, and love. For having just suffered an incredible loss, these folks are truly in love with what they do--making out of towners like us feel welcome and special.

Sincerest thanks to Sally and all the Brown's Wharf staff for giving me one of the best birthday evenings I can remember. We will most definitely be returning.

Rest easy Mr. Brown, your establishments are in very good hands.

2  Thank Btetrault
Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you are in Booth Bay Harbor, don't miss the chance to have lunch or dinner at Brown's Wharf Restaurant. On vacation, we happened upon Brown's restaurant and stopped for lunch. I had two lobsters (price $26) and my wife had fish and it was excellent. The service was great, no hi guys, but very professional and helpful without being intrusive. The presentation was a piece of art and the food was just as good. The prices are reasonable, probably averaging in the 25 + range but worth every cent. The menu is varied to include meat dishes.

We enjoyed lunch so much that the following night we went back for dinner and were not disappointed. I had pan seared sea scallops and when they were served I almost felt guilty in having to eat them. The chef must be an artist because they looked like a picture from a food magazine. The scallops were delicious and greatly enjoyed, the wife had a prime rib, also excellent. Again, the service was greatly appreciated by servers who enjoyed serving you.

Unfortunately, we had to move on after two days to Bar Harbor. Upon leaving Bar Harbor and returning to Portland, we seriously thought about stopping at Browns again but it was a little to far out of our way.

I usually don't write reviews but like many people on vacation I would like to eat at a good restaurant and check trip advisor to help me find a place. The view is great, service is a priority and the food is excellent. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

2  Thank Ted H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The view from the patio of the restaurant is beautiful! The food was good, but not fantastic. The service was friendly.

2  Thank debbie63Cleveland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have been going to the Boothbay region on vacation for over 20 years and part of our tradition is to have dinner at Brown's once or twice a visit. We have NEVER been disappointed in any way. We have sat on the deck watching the boats come in for the evening. We have run in from the parking lot in pouring rain on a chilly night. We have seen thunderstorms and fireworks. The service is always excellent, warm and friendly. The food is not gourmet dining but well prepared and very representative of New England coastal dining. We were there again last night enjoying lobsters, clams, strawberry shortcake and blueberry pie. A wonderful tradition for our family and a highly recommended dining experience.

2  Thank PatCT202