“Honeymoon Spot”
Review of Atlantic Ark Inn

Atlantic Ark Inn
Reviewed 7 January 2008

My husband and I needed to get away for our second honeymoon. We have always wanted to go to Maine and my co-worker told me about this place. This place was very romantic and we stayed in the Bliss room. Prices were reasonable and the "hostess" was EXCELLENT. She made you feel you were at HOME. The hostess made us feel very SPECIAL at her place. You will view the harbor. My husband and I have decided that this place would be our yearly spot in Maine. My husband and I cannot wait until next year to see our hostess/ new FRIEND Donna.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank tmb456

Reviewed 1 December 2007

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Atlantic Ark Inn. The main innkeeper left about half way through our stay and we met a caretaker as well. Both were very sweet, friendly, and helpful.

The inn is on the quiet side of of the harbor. It was a very easy walk to the footbridge. Great location! The room was fresh, clean, and had a simple elegance to it. We did have a small, private deck outside our door. It had a table and two chairs. We spent each evening on the deck looking at the harbor and enjoying a glass of wine. The gardens were lovely and fresh sprigs of cut flowers adorned our pillows each night at turn-down.

The house was comfortable and we were allowed into the kitchen for wine glasses, corkscrews, and ice buckets. Donna had no problem with us using the refrigerator to store my medicine. It was very easy going and comfortable.

The breakfasts were lovely. The one that I still rave about was the Maine blueberry stuffed French toast. Mmmmmm......delicious. We also had quiche and a fritatta with fresh fruit and bread. We dined each morning on the front porch at tables that have a slight very to the harbor. We also took advantage of the rocking chairs on the front porch to read the paper and plan our day. We never had any problems with parking and would come and go in the car with ease.

Donna also gave directions to a secluded park and inlet that was breathtaking. We met local artists there. Everyone was so friendly. When we return, we think that we would like to enjoy the small cottage in the back yard. We met the guest there and they gave us a tour. It was truly private and lovely.

We had a wonderful time in Boothbay Harbor and feel that our great stay at this inn was a big part of it. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frito15
Reviewed 25 October 2007

We stayed in the upstair room, which was beautiful. We stayed over 4th of July - the view of the fireworks was spectacular! We lay in our bed and watched the view through the picture windows. Our room had a tub for 2 which was nice; it was a breezy, crisp, clean and lovely room. The flower and cookie on our pillow was a nice touch.

The breakfast were nice. . . all vegetarian - quiches and fruit (which I like. . . but not the best every day). The tables were set beautifully as well - however it felt a bit controlling and not as relaxing for the meals. The other couple we sat with while there one morning felt that they had to be there for breakfast or they would offend the hostess.

Truly the down side is that it is on a main street (right across from the Lobster dock - essentially). It was loud and the view of the water is through the parking lots of some motel.

Every B & B we have stayed in has some ecclectic charm, which this does as well . . . hostess, food, and all; however, we probably would find another B & B next time. . . a little more off the beaten path.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TXFamilyinLR
Reviewed 3 October 2007

The Atlantic Ark was not bad, necessarily, it was just....well, a room in someone's house. I realize that this is the appeal of the B&B, but some rooms can still be better than others. There's no television in the entire place, even in the common room, so some of the guests at the inn while we were there actually made arrangements with a local restaurant to stay out late so they could watch a football game. Some people like that, but it's the sort of thing you like to know going in.

The only air conditioning in our room was a window unit. In the bathroom. With no shade. So if you wanted it to do you any good at night you needed to leave the bathroom door open (not a problem, as I could reach it from the bed), but also leave the curtains open - otherwise they would block the air conditioner. Not to mention, you couldn't open the bathroom window. Our "private porch with a water view" did in fact see the water - across the street and past the parking lot, but hey. But it shared a staircase with our upstairs neighbors, who apparently stayed out later than we did.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the spiders. We saw our first spider out on the porch when Donna, the innkeeper, spotted it on a web strung across the porch from wall to flower boxes. Showing a belief in the sanctity of all living things, she "helped" the spider into the flower box. And I'm not talking a tiny spider, I'm talking something out of Charlotte's Web. Big thing. Later that night when coming home we found another one danging down in front of the main door, so big it looked like a Halloween decoration. And our side porch had so many hanging out above our heads that we gave up, and mentioned it the next morning. With instructions to the housekeeper (who did not speak English) to "relocate" the spiders, Donna did what she could. Later I noticed that she had in fact helped the spiders into the flower boxes, where there were some beautiful webs in the works, and some absolutely huge spiders. Anybody with arachnophobia would be going nuts.

Donna, for me, was a bit of a mix. One on one she was very nice to speak with, although she insisted on being paid before she ever showed us the room (I honestly think she forgot), and she never even introduced herself. She did not forget to show us "The Rules" which included things like not letting the ice bucket sit on the hardwood floor, and not using strong soap that ruins the towels. And apparently there's a rule about staying seated during breakfast, because when I got up to get my wife some Equal for her coffee (that she had asked for and not received), I was told simply "We are not done serving." In other words, sit back down. Yikes! A breakfast, by the way, that consisted of a hunk of melon and a slice of quiche. Eh.

Overall it is a great location, on the quiet side of town. But I have nothing else to say to recommend it. Nothing 'wow'd us. I didn't even get into the limited parking, where you have to shuffle cars around like a jigsaw puzzle to fit everybody (long car goes here, short car goes over here...) Even at night while watching television on my laptop, I was worried about the neighbors hearing us through the walls. I will definitely come back to Booth Bay, but I can't say I'll come back to the Atlantic Ark, no matter how nice Donna was....to the spiders.

Stayed: September 2007
7  Thank DMorin
Reviewed 26 June 2007

The Atlantic Ark Inn in Boothbay Harbor is a wonderful find. It is immaculate, very tastefully decorated, well located, graced with an incredibly warm and accommodating innkeeper in Donna, offers great harbor views, amazing breakfasts, interesting fellow guests - what more is there?? The rooms are serene and tranquil and provide views of the Harbor. Some of the rooms have private decks perfect for sipping wine and watching the Harbor activity. Donna is the perfect hostess providing fresh flowers in all rooms, breakfast that is both delicious and a work of art in presentation, and many other little touches that give the Inn its welcoming atmosphere. My only regret was that I had only two nights to spend at the Ark - I look forward to visiting again - hopefully in the very near future and recommend this Inn as a truly special experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Medford_MACoco
Reviewed 8 June 2007

We stayed at Atlantic Ark for three days shortly before Memorial Day. The entire experience was superb. Donna, our innkeeper, was completely attentive and responsive to all of our needs.
The location is on the "far side" of the footbridge. It was completely quiet with spectacular views of Boothbay (proper) from our private patio.
Our room was "Beauty" on the second floor. The room was thoroughly comfortable, with a large bath, spacious shower/tub and good bathroom lighting. There's plenty of closet and bureau storeage space.
Breakfasts were delicious, with innovative approaches. Donna prepared just enough food for a great start to the day.
We've stayed in lots of B&Bs over the years and put Atlantic Ark at the top of our list.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tejo42
Reviewed 7 December 2006

Great place to stay...stayed in the room on the top floor...def. spend the xtra money for this private room...immaculate bathroom with jacuzzi and huge windows, great porch to read on overlooking the harbor, great value for what i spent.. Amazing homecooked breakfast in the AM...was only there one night, but I loved it, the bed looks out the window over the harbor, great view to wake up to...cant beat it for the money...also, spend extra $$ and go to the spruce point inn for diinner, exceptional service

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rgd1227