“A mildly different opinion”

Greenleaf Inn at Boothbay Harbor
Boston, Massachusetts
“A mildly different opinion”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I don't fully share the views of those who have praised this experience without qualification. There were a couple of quirks to our visit. I feel that a 3 is too low for this review, so let's call this a 3.5. If we had caught the place on another day, it probably would have been a 4.

On the positive side, Ben was very helpful on the phone before our arrival and directed us to the botanical gardens, great call.

The view from the room in the Admirals Quarters was great as advertised.

The minor quirks -- the curtains in the bedroom were very hard to operate. More materially, the canopy on our balcony was in disrepair. I tried to open it, and it was falling off its hinges, which could have been unsafe. I am sure they took care of it promptly after I reported it. But we weren't able to use the balcony for the one morning we were there.

Those are quirks that clearly are not representative of other people's experiences. The landscaping, by the way, is meticulous and beautiful.

What I will say is that the breakfast was not for me. The fruit did not appear to be freshly cut, but more likely from a grocery store. The french toast may have been cooked on premises, but it was very, very sugary. I wasn't expecting a vegan breakfast or anything like that, but this was by my standards too much of a high-sugar, high-carb and high-fat breakfast.

We didn't see Ben or Jeff at breakfast, but were met by a woman who was so-so on the friendliness score in my view. I had to ask where to sit and whether the buffet was the entire breakfast, etc. No big problem, but it wasn't the most personal greeting I have ever received.

But this is just one person's opinion, to take nothing away from the efforts of the innkeepers nor those who have praised it so highly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We only spent two nights here but we were delighted with the beautiful room overlooking the bay and all the little extras which made it so homely. My husband in particular loved the cookies which were there to help yourself to quite freely!! There was a well stocked fridge with coke, v8 etc., again which you could help yourself to plus lovely soft tissues in bathroom, make up remover wipes, lovely shower gel and shampoo and a fabulous shower. The room was very modern and tastefully decorated and quiet. Boothay harbour is a beautiful place and we were very lucky to get terrific weather so it looked its absolute best. The found the scenery quite similar to the scenery in the west of Scotland. We ate in an Italian restaurant just along the road which was superb and the Thistle just a short walk from the Greenleaf and also very good.
I forgot to mention the breakfast - very quirky (at least for us Scots!) but nonetheless very nice and totally different from anything we've had before.
\We would recommend this place to anyone young or old..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Alamo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Loved it! Close to town, and Jeff was so helpful in making dinner reservations for us also. The breakfasts were outstanding!! Be sure to try Ports of Italy - hopping place and wonderful food! East Wind Schooners was also a great 2 hr adventure.

• Stayed October 2013
McMinnville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We flew to Maine in July 2013. We rented a car in Portland and drove to Boothbay Harbor, Maine. We already had reservations at the Greenleaf Inn. It was breathtaking, cozy, comfortable, and a delight!!! I had spoke to Jeff & Ben multiple times prior to arriving & each time they assured me and answered each question. The room was so clean, ( cannot remember which room number) but we was in the room downstairs, down the hall and close to the kitchen. It was PERFECT! We didn't go to breakfast every morning, but one morning my hubby didn't want what they were having so I asked Ben could he just fix him a couple of eggs and toast of course he did and was so sweet about it. Also, in the mail without them even contacting me to let me know they had indeed found them I received a pair of shoes that I had left. How nice is that?!?! They were so helpful!!! Also, the very last night of our stay and we stayed six nights Ben printed off all of our flight info. He was online right when it was 24 hrs. And we could check in onto our flight going home. Unfortunately, we couldn't get a straight flight in but With Ben taking care of all that we boarded 1 &2 on one flight & 3&4 on the other!!! We we're suppose to have to change rooms on our last night. I already knew that. Jeff spoke with the guy who is a repeat customer and explained that not only did we have a ton of stuff that we would have had to take upstairs, I do not do stairs well. The guy was super nice and we did not have to move rooms!!! When we visit Maine again we will definitely be staying there again!!! I would NEVER even look for another place. They have so much to offer, they are extremely helpful and they are soooooo nice!!!! The rooms are super clean, and that's what I always Rory about is just "clean". These we're emaculate. No one could possibly be disappointed with this place. They leave a stocked refrigerator with comes, juices, and etc...and fresh baked cookies! Love love love Greenleaf Inn!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ray Brook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were so happy here the first time around, and were not disappointed this time. We stayed in the Greenleaf room #4, and the room was lovely. Our friends stayed in the Admiral Quarters room #6. They were blown away by the helpful charming staff, and the amazing views! We appreciated the many personal touches of the staff. They go above and beyound making their guests truly feel at home. Ben was the best! You will not be disappointed with your stay. Can't wait until my next visit!

Room Tip: In the summer months we enjoyed staying in the Admiral Quarters #4 or 5, as they have nice balconies...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Roswell, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed in the Greenleaf Inn last weekend during a Fall Colors getaway to Boothbay Harbor. I had located the property online, and couldn't have been more pleased when we arrived to discover that it has one of the premier locations on the water--beautiful views. The location is perfect for walking throughout Boothbay Harbor, and we used our car only for an outing to the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden (don't miss it--outstanding garden!!). The inn was cozy and comfortable with wonderful breakfasts and cookies provided in the evenings. We are planning a New England driving trip next summer, and the Greenleaf Inn and Boothbay Harbor will most definitely be on our agenda!!

Room Tip: Good photos of all rooms are available online to help you choose the one best suited to your needs...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Greenleaf has a great central location to see the area, but even if you don't go far afield, this is a wonderful place to stay. Every little thing you might want or need was always at hand, from a cork screw and glasses, to V-8 in the fridge, cookies on the sideboard. The breakfast was yummy and the cozy great room with all the books and magazines made it all very welcoming and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room (#1) was clean and quiet, despite being just inside the front door.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple