“Down Home Country” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Coach House Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 43 Restaurants in Brewer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winter Haven, Florida
“Down Home Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Excellant Breakfast.Home cooking,reasonably priced and the Waitresses were very friendly.We enjoyed our meal very much.

Visited April 2014

Bangor
“Fried Scallops!!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

WOW!!!!!! We were beyond thrilled to be lucky enough to order the fried scallops. Large scallops are so expensive right now i couldnt believe they gave us such a large portion for $14.99 and that included 2 sides. Our waitress was Lisa and she was awesome! She made me a side of homemade tarter sauce (Non Dill) that was the perfect touch for a great meal. If you are craving fried seafood do yourself a favor and put the Coach House on your list.

Brewer, Maine
“hit or miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

some days the food is decent, other days, well...not so much. The specials usually aren't, but the crab cakes are reliably good (order them cooked extra well done - under the broiler - or they will be soggy in the middle). The service is usually pretty decent - this place can be quit busy, but they crank the tables through, so there's usually not much of a wait. This is "home cooking" the way someone else's mom would cook - my mom is a great cook, so I'm quite spoiled, and this place can't hold a greasy spoon to her kitchen! :)

• Visited November 2013
Vienna, Virginia
“Blueberry pie outstanding but avoid broiled seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Took my father here to lunch because we wanted seafood and because the Schooner (formerly the Muddy Rudder) was closed for renovations. If you are familiar with seafood restaurants in Maine, at least the ones that I went to when I was growing up, you'll know that seafood is usually served deep fried. My father ordered deep fried clams. I ordered the broiled combo (haddock and scallops), which was a big mistake. Thankfully, it didn't come loaded with butter/margarine, but it came with no seasonings whatsoever. It tasted like it had just been put in a microwave. The staff said that the dish is essentially poached under the broiler to prevent the fish/seafood from drying out. It's possible that only the elderly would choose broiled fish and seafood here, but the management is very mistaken to think that the elderly do not like seasonings. By contrast, the blueberry pie was delicious, as it was chock full of blueberries (twice the amount that I had expected). The blueberries were small (wild?). It was not too sweet. If the management can get its act together and actually ensure that seasonings as added to the seafood, it is a restaurant worth going trying. At the very least, try the pies.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Augusta, Maine
“A bridge between a greasy spoon, and good home cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I was impressed with the selection, and the food. I did feel misled when I saw the menu that offered breakfast/lunch/supper everyday and with jam on the table only to find out that breakfast is no longer served at 11. That being said there was a breakfast sandwich on the menu, for us folks who like to eat breakfast all the time.
The food was good and well prepared. My sandwich was good, nothing writing home about but still yummy. The icing on the cake for my time spent there was the “French Canadian Fries” or poutin. A hard concoction is hard to find this far south of the Canadian border, but always worth getting when you can find it. Any meal that I can start with poutin, is a good meal.
My mother had a clam basket, and she left stuffed and happy. She didn’t complain, and that says a lot! My Wife to be had fish and chips, and she ate most of it. She enjoyed it and said that she would order it again. We never got to the deserts, as we were full but they looked homemade and wonderful.

I would say that the staff was VERY friendly. The staff was willing to chat, and was not focused rush rush rush. All in all, I would go again.