“Getting there....”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Getting there....”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to High Tide several times and both times had terrible bar tenders. They were both girls and were unnable to produce a drink in a timely or pleasant manner. There is one young male bartender (Rob? Ray?) who did an amazing job and can actually hold a conversation...and he wasn't even the one who served me my drinks!! The food was great, I will say that. Service was slow, but I suppose that is to be expected of a new restaurant. I do think that the bar needs a lot of work...

• Visited June 2014

Stetson, Maine
“Fair to middlin'”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Party of four visited for the first time early on a Sunday evening for dinner before a concert at the Cross Center in Bangor.
Location is easy to get to, plenty of parking, and seating on the outdoor deck is very pleasant, although the tables are packed a little too close together for real comfort.
Service had gaps. Not all got drink menus. No bread or rolls offered or served. Water not offered until we declined a second round of drinks. Utensils removed when salad plates were cleared were not replaced.
Food got a mixed review from our party of four. Two of us had the mixed seafood fried platter, one of which came with no clams. When this was called to the attention of our server, she offered either to reduce the price or bring clams separately. We chose price reduction, which was substantial - 50% of the price of that entree. Other dishes our party had - jumbo stuffed shrimp and baked stuffed haddock. Two of us were pleased with the entrees, the other two unimpressed. House salads are ordinary. Mixed vegetables served with all orders were good. Raspberry lemonade, which two in our party had, was rated tasty and refreshing.
Prices were middle of the road for the area. Considering the short duration that High Tide has been open, the atmosphere is very pleasant for summer dining, and service problems can be corrected as the establishment matures, we'll probably give High Tide another try later this summer.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank JoeStetson
“Great waterfront location.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been to this location under different names . High Tide is in a great waterfront location overlooking the Penobscot river, across from Bangor. We ate lunch on a weekend. Not very crowded, Excellent food ! Both my wife and I were very pleased. The wait staff were standing around not very attentive to the customers. Until the management trains the staff properly, this will be a black eye for the restaurant. Local customers will not tolerate poor service.
Once again, the food is excellent ! Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited July 2014
“Has Potential”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

They've expanded the bar area, which is very nice. We ate in the dining room which is still quite drab but better than it was. The view of the river and Bangor waterfront is nice. The deck was busy. You have to walk through the main dining room to get to the deck which is distracting. Our waitress seemed inexperienced. She was unsure if they had Coke or Pepsi, which is kind of a big deal to me. It's Coke. We don't like it when half of the menu is market price. We asked and a whole lobster is $26 and a lazy lobster is $27. Our food took quite a long time to make it to our table and we never did get any rolls that we saw on other tables. My dad had the fried scallops and said they were very good. My husband ordered the stuffed haddock and I had the chicken picatta over rice instead of pasta. Both my and my husbands meals were not hot which tells us they had been waiting. I will say they were both very good and the portions were quite large. If they can provide better service it will improve the experience dramatically. We won't be back for a while.

Houlton, Maine
“Great new restaurant”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I stopped this past Sunday at High Tide (formerly Schooner's) after seeing the renovation work going on during a previous trip to the area. They've only been open a month, but the owner Thomas Shanos of Hampden is an experienced restaurant operator. We were glad we decided to check it out.. My wife raved about her scallops and my southwestern panini was fantastic. The house drink is the Bloody Mary, which can be done up in several temperatures from mild to very hot. My wife had a mild one and said it was fantastic. We ate outside of the covered deck and enjoyed the view of the Penobscot River. After we ate we took a walk along the paved hiking pathway along the river. We definitely will be returning to High Tide and have already told friends about it.

• Visited June 2014