“the only thing that would help this place is if the owners burned it down to the groundand started over” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vacationland Inn

Vacationland Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Brewer
GreenLeadersBronze level
Methuen, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed for phish return to Bangor. When I arrived the manager and a police officer were planning on how they would bust fans of the show. (?!) then our "newly renovated" room was dirty and had 2 full beds instead of the king we booked. The staff did nothing to accommodate us and said "oh well" to our concerns. It was like they didn't care because they were booked solid and already had our money. What a joke!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank noclist314
Vacationland_Manager, General Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s):

I have reached out to you in a private message email through trip advisor with no response from you. During the PHISH concert the local police department set up some rules for the area businesses to follow. The police wanted all businesses to post their green space and parking lots with no loitering signs. They believed that thousands of people were attending and their might be an issue for our hotel with parking on our lawn by people who were not our guests. They recommended the posting of signs so guests, like yourself, would not lose your parking space in our parking lot or in front of your room. The police stopped by frequently to be sure no one other than our guests were on the property. We provided parking passes for guest vehicles, and limo transportation that transported concert attenders to the Bangor Waterfront for the Concert. Always feel free to express your concerns with management of a hotel if dissatisfied in any way. We want to remedy any concerns immediately, but cannot if not given the option when you are here. Please feel free to contact me directly for future stays.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
New Waterford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

An old but very comfortable inn. Some major room upgrades in the past few years including the addition of the free breakfast bar with homemade strawberry and blueberry toping for your waffles and fresh coffee is terrific.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vacationland_Manager, Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s);

Thank you so much for your continued lodging at the Vacationland Inn. We appreciate your kind comments. The staff works daily to improve the facility for our guests enjoyment. The New Breakfast area is just one of the many upgrades that all our guests could enjoy. We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay.

Middletown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Travel back and forth from New York State to Nova Scotia several times a year and have stayed at VACATIONLAND INN always. Last time was in late Oct. and there was a problem with heat in the room ... I was supplied with an electric heater, but I consider this a minor inconvenience. I find the rooms (perhaps a bit dated) comfortable and clean, the rates realistic, and the waffels with blueberries great. The staff/management are super. I'll be back the end of December. Happy Holidays, George (Suttle)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear George:

Thank you for being one of our valued guests. We do appreciate you staying with us each time you come through Maine to NY. Your patience on your last visit is very appreciated. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. We look forward to seeing you again the end of the month. May you have a wonderful Christmas. Safe traveling.

Perry , ME
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

After my first review my wife and I returned several more times to the same property. The only difference was that because we were in town for medical reasons and had asked for a medical rate, after they catch your attention with a nice room, then the staff advised me that we could no longer get the same room that we'd been getting because they could get a better rate for that room from the general public. We went along with the move and accepted what they offered which was a room with two double beds in the main building, just past the office. These rooms are known as the "economy" rooms. You lose the coffee maker in the room because there is one in the lobby. There is mold growing on the wood walls in the bathroom. And best of all you get apartments above you where we actually had someone walking very loudly on what seemed like a wood floor,with boots, until 2:45 am when it sounded like he/she left the apartment. Made for a really bad night of sleeping. When I told the front desk the next morning, the response was, that they've had complaints like this in the past.
My response to the whole situation was that for about $20 /night more I can now go to the Holiday Inn and have a pool, hot tub, exercise room, and King bed with coffee maker in my room with coffee still offered in the lobby.
So as a recap; This property has lost a customer who shows up at least 4 times a month to a possible guest that may show up once and then return "possibly" the next year. Doesn't sound like smart business decisions to me. I'm sorry that I wrote such a great review so quickly, from now on I'll wait until I see if it's a one time thing or if it changes as it did with this property. I should've known better since I used to manage properties for Vagabond Inns out on the West coast.
Doug

Room Tip: Do Not accept an "Economy" room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vacationland_Manager, Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s):

Thank you for your comments. It was great to be able to explain the medical rates and medical appointments accepted for medical rates on the phone with you directly last evening. There seems to be some confusion on when our medical rate can be used. In the unfortunate event that you are under cancer care at the local Cancer Center, we provide the low medical rate and have specific rooms dedicated for these guests. They are drive up rooms with 2 double beds in the room. These rooms are available and set up so that they could have their family pet with them or another family member stay with them during their treatment and care at the Cancer Center. They are also, drive up rooms so they can easily enter their room when they are not feeling well. The room you are insisting on is a KING room on the second floor of another building. Should you choose to return to Vacationland Inn when you have your routine medical appointments, we do provide any room, when available, at a 15% off discount. However, if you are under cancer care, we have gone above and beyond to provide rooms that help people feel comfortable and a bit more at home during such an unfortunate time in theirs and families life. Please know that at any hotel you choose to stay in, please contact the front desk immediately whenever you experience discomfort such as noise so they have the opportunity to remedy the situation for you. We do apologize that the King room was not available for your recent stay that disappointed you. It seems your health is getting better and you are able to use all the exercise room, pool etc. at another hotel. That is great news that you are feeling better. Feel free to contact me directly and I will personally make your reservation should you choose to return to Vacationland Inn.

Kind Regards
Leeanne, Manager
Lubec, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We chose Vacationland Inn for a quick night's sleep upon our return from a trip out west. Our flight landed in Bangor at midnight and we chose not to drive another 3 hours to get home. They advertise heavily in our TV market, so they had our attention. The room was in dire need of renovation: very poor quality bath fixtures, broken ceramic tiles, damaged door to bath and we had a very hard time getting the entrance door to open...all this at 12:30 A.M. The beds were comfy enough, even though it was a short night.

The breakfast was great, as advertised. But after spending several nights in nice quality hotels in other cities, at equal or less cost, we were truly disappointed with the experience. Sorry Vacationland Inn, I really wanted to like this place, but we won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vacationland_Manager, General Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s):

Thank you for your honest comments. Your feedback is important for the continued improvement of Vacationland Inn. Thank you for taking the time on the phone last evening to chat about your concerns. I am pleased that we have earned your return stays and that you and your wife are grateful for our response. We look forward to personally meeting you on your return stay. We are working as fast as we can to continue with the ongoing upgrades to Vacationland Inn. Because of guests like you, that are willing to return and give us another try, we can continue to improve every day. Thank you for being our guest now and in the future. We strive to be people's destination home away from home. Again, it was great to chat with you on the phone and resolve any concerns. Enjoy your Christmas and Happy New Year too!

Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

The owners on premise were very friendly and made you feel that your visit mattered to them very much.. The whole place was clean and charming with restaurants within walking distance. Each area had a Maine theme, some with an ocean theme and others with the Maine woods theme complete with moose. I would be happy to stay here again. It was very comfortable and homey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vacationland_Manager, General Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s):

We appreciate your kind words and your patronage. Thank you! It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Maine. Thank you for complimenting the updates to the Inn. Your comments will be passed along to the entire staff.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving and safe traveling.

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have been staying at your establishment for the last 30 years. The only complaint that I have is over what happened on my last trip there. I paid cash for my room for three nights & when I was leaving, I was told they had no record of my paying cash. As I had a 9 or 10 hour drive ahead of me, I couldn't wait for you to straightened this matter out. That evening, I had not heard from anyone, so I sent an email. The following day, I received an email with my bill attached. If I read the bill correctly, it shows that I paid in cash. My problem is that no explanation was given to me as to what had happened. I have been working with the public for the last 42 years & I have never had this happen to me before. All I wanted was an explanation. I have stayed there for the last 30 years & I have always enjoyed my stay & I have always felt safe. The staff were always friendly. Except for this incident, the service as always excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MDW56
Vacationland_Manager, General Manager at Vacationland Inn, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest(s):

WOW! I would love to sit with you and have you tell me about all your adventure travel and family stories throughout the years at this Inn. Thank you for your continued loyal travel to Vacationland Inn. We apologize that there was a mix up on your reservation regarding payment. There is no excuse for the error other than human error. Please accept our apology. We were able to correct the issue and get you a corrected copy right away in your email. Please contact Cheryl H. at the front desk or myself directly so we can give you the explanation of what happened. We appreciate your loyal lodging, your kind comments and your patience with us. We look forward to hearing from you and are pleased to provide you and your family another 30 years of being our guest. See you on our next stay.

Leeanne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewer
BEST WESTERN White House Inn
Howard Johnson Inn Bangor
The Charles Inn
The Charles Inn
#20 of 26 in Bangor

Been to Vacationland Inn? Share your experiences!