“Welcome home is how you're greeted and that says it all!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was by far the best resort I've ever stayed at. Friendly staff lots to do and see. White powdery sandy beach blue blue water. Excellent entertainment staff. They could not work harder to make sure you have a good time if that's what you want. If you want to relax they do that up right too. We also enjoyed the message at the spa too. We would definitely return here and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for saying you will recommend our resort to your friends! We are so happy you had a wonderful time and you liked everything about our resort.

We hope to be able to host you and the near future and thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review!

There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here in May 2012. We spent countless hours deciding on where to go for our honeymoon. We finally decided on Secrets Maroma based on Trip Advisor Reviews - so glad we listened. This place is hands down the best resort we have ever been to. We loved it here so much, we are going back again December 2013.

The level of service is above and beyond anything we expected. Everyone went out of their way to ensure every guest was satisfied and having fun. The bed was immaculate every single time. It felt like they clean our room every time we step out. I believe it was cleaned twice a day and our fridge was filled daily - we can even request specifically what we want in it. In the middle of the day, they would bring out food to everyone - you don't have to go get it! They even have chefs ride a kayak with food in the pool so they can get to everyone. There's food and drink service on the beach too! You will not go hungry or thirsty in this resort.

The food was top notch! I loved the food here so much, I did two sittings almost every night. I would have dinner with my wife around 6 and then I would go back and do the last sitting on my own. The French Restaurant was phenomenal - get the lamb or the steak. Himitsu was superb! Book your night as soon as you get there - this is the only one you have book in advance for and its well worth the wait. Remember that you only have book for the tepanyaki - you don't have to for just sit down without the show. The Italian was delicious. Even the Buffet was great! Try to go for dinner before 8 pm - it gets really busy after that and you may have to wait in line to be seated. They have Starbucks-like café where you can get pastries and coffee/late....sorry forgot the name. The bars are great! Go thru the martini list one by one.

The preferred Club is well worth the upgrade - free wi-fi everywhere and you get the top shelf alcohol. I tried every top shelf tequila you can't get back home - I now appreciate it much more than just a drink you shoot. Take the tequila tasting class! Also the guacamole making class.

The activities are fun and the shows are great! They had cirque du soleil and Rock of Ages - amazing! They have basketball courts, archery, tennis, rifle shooting, beach volleyball, ping pong, water volleyball, etc.....The bonfire music night was fun too!

Check in was great. They did make an error in our booking but they more than made up for it. They double booked and they didn't have the swim up ready for us the first night. We weren't pleased but hey, mistakes happen and they did apologize and addressed the issue immediately. They moved us to Secrets Silversands for a night - in their honeymoon suite - wow! Well worth the trade off - they paid for our cab there and back and gave us a certificate to come back - and we can't wait!

The beach here is amazing! Definitely blows away the Silversands beach down the street. There are tons of cabanas and seats. Walk down the resort to the left and peek at al the other resorts. If you walk far enough, you'll even see Desire - clothing optional resort. Brink your snorkling gear as there's tons of fish in the ocean near the shore.

If you're looking for a place where you will relax, have fun, eat well, and get treated like a king and queen - this is the place for you. I love it here so much that I want to celebrate our anniversary here every year and relive our honeymoon annually. We cannot wait to go back...will have another review up when we return. Thanks Secrets Maroma!!!!

G & E =)

Room Tip: we were in a swim up room but were given a honeymoon suite for a night. If your budget allows, the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RealtorGeorge

Dear guest,

We are so glad you have decided to submit your review and thrilled you will be coming back to our resort. We hope this trip is as wonderful as the last one and that you will like some of the improvements we have made to our property.

If there is anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to contact us prior to arrival.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

To start, my (super long!!!) review may be a bit biased as I have no other comparison - it was our first real vacation. However, we are so glad we chose this location and this particular resort. Unlike many of the other resorts lining the highway with high columns and huge walls announcing the resort, the driver pulls off for Secrets and you're thinking "What!?" as you pass a place called Burger Stop. Then, you travel down this narrow, bumpy (albiet brick-laid) road and pull up to a bit of an unimpressive hotel entrance (compared to the others seen on the way). Don't let these things fool you - you'll notice the atmosphere changes the minute you step out of your transport and the guys at the front grab your luggage and tell you to "Relax, you're on vacation Sir/Ma'am".
I'm not sure if it was because we used Apple Vacations or if it was just our first time, but after a 10-15 minute check in process (where we were greeted with cool towels and a glass of champagne), we were ushered to another employee who brought us over to a bar area to go over our $200 voucher coupons and to invite us to a "VIP Breakfast". I immediately recognized this VIP breakfast as the timeshare sales pitch that I had read about on other reviews and declined. She offered it for another day instead, and I simply said "No thanks" and that was the end of it. We did not use the vouchers/coupons as I knew from reading other reviews that the services weren't really "free". This pitch was another 10-15 minutes. At this point, we had been traveling for 12 hours and I just wanted to get to my room (30 minutes for check-in?!!).
The bellman escorted us to the room and asked if he could give us some tips for the room, which were helpful (even though I was just antsy to finally be "on vacation"!). From this point forward, the trip was amazing.
We celebrated our anniversary and my birthday during this trip. Our door had the "anniversary" banner on it when we arrived, and some champagne was in the room (not sure if the champagne is standard). I don't think our travel agent mentioned my birthday to the resort, but once one member of the staff on the beach found out, I found several other staff members wishing me happy birthday in passing throughout the day - ones I didn't even know! Our concierge must have found out too (which speaks volumes that the staff communicates these kinds of things to each other) because we got back to our room at the end of the day to find our bed decorated in streamers and balloons! Okay, so now some specifics:

Food - such a huge variety at various locations through the resort. They will even bring you food on the beach if you ask your waiter/waitress. Is it the best stuff you've ever had? Most of it - no. But you can't complain there isn't variety - especially at the buffets. And there are a few items here and there that are pretty good. Portofino and Himitsu were our favorites - we didn't get to Oceana or Bordeaux. World Cafe for dinner was a bit too fusion forward for us, although they did introduce us to the Blue Moon Martini (yum!), complete with dry ice packed into the bottom of the glass.
One thing we weren't crazy about is feeling like we needed to dress up for dinner. I didn't want to be in my room eating room service every night, but neither did I pack well for the dinners. So, ladies a tip: be sure to pack nice dinner clothes. While they didn't turn me away for wearing jeans, many of the ladies had beautiful summer dresses, jewelry, heels, etc. and I felt out of place. I will definitely be packing dinner appropriate attire next time! Also, as Americans, we are not used to a 2 hour, several course dinner. It was hard for me to sit through this kind of service, but the resort is trying to give you a 5 star experience - even during the dinner hour. As other reviewers mention, if you go before 6 30 - 7ish, you'll get in almost right away. Anything after that, expect about an hour wait. Most of the dinner crowd seems to go later in the evening (having two kids, we're used to eating by 6 most nights).

Room - I found the bed a bit firm, but not horrible. I still slept well. The walls are a bit thin, especially when you have neighbors coming and going at all hours or when an event is happing near your room - like the fire throwing event by the pool area our first night. I think we were lucky and went during Thanksgiving week when the amount of people were lower. The beginning of the following week (first of December) we saw an immediate increase of people, and noise in the rooms. Slightly frustrating, but what can you do? The shower was lukewarm at best on our first day, but after talking to our Concierge, Roberto - in building 24 - he had maintenance in there checking it out within a couple of hours. I don't think they found anything wrong, but the water significantly improved. I finally had a good hot shower the next day.
The tile in the shower and grout/sealant in both the shower and around the tub could use a good scrubbing or replacing. It was tinted pink in several areas, so I'm thinking a lot of soap scum/mildew build-up? Now, we did visit a hospitality room on our last day as we had to check out at 7 am because were going off resort and needed a place to freshen up before our flight at 5 pm. The hospitality room is on the Penthouse floor in the main building, and I can say the tile/grout in this room was impeccible and the water was steaming hot. So, I have to wonder if the rooms closer to the main building have better water heat? Ladies - counter space in the bathroom is limiting if you're like me and bring a lot of beauty products. I had a bag that held everything so I'd tuck it away when I was done and bring it out again when I needed it.

Service - this was probably my favorite part of the entire trip. Almost everyone we came in contact with was helpful and friendly. There are so many people there to make your trip relaxing and amazing. I actually felt a bit guilty at times, wondering if any of them thought we were TOO pampered! They all work hard, and must go through a rigorous training process. A special mention to Jorge, the beach concierge by the cabanas (an "extra" I would highly recommend!), another Jorge who was our other beach concierge at the south end of the beach by the palapas, Alejandro, the pool concierge who was amazingly helpful in booking the cabana, orchestrating with my husband to bring me birthday dessert, singing happy birthday, and saying hi whenever he passed us, and to Roberto, our building concierge. The people are what MAKE this resort the way it is. Our biggest complaint is that the staff will ring your phone to tell you that your room service has been delivered if the "do not disturb" light was on and they had to use the pass through box, or to check on cleaning if they did not get around to it that day (again, because the do not disturb light was on). They woke us up from a nap once calling about maid service. :(

Drinks - just as with any bar you go to, the bartenders were not always consistent with the drinks they made. Some were slightly heavy handed with the alcohol, or had different ratios. The good thing - you don't have to pay for another drink if you didn't like the first one! So order another and hopefully it turns out better!!!

Pool/Beach - we loved hanging out at both. During the end of our trip, when it seemed to get busier and there were more people, it was a bit tough to find chairs. Now, let me clarify and note that there were ALWAYS places to sit, but it may not be in your preferred location. So, grab one by 9 and plant your butt for as long as you'd like. Try to grab a specific spot after 10-10 30 and you may be out of luck, especially right next to the pool. You'll just have to compromise and go sit somewhere else - but really there is no "bad" seat on this resort.

Entertainment - there is always some activity going on somewhere in the resort throughout the day and evening. We only participated in one game of pool volleyball, but there's no possibility of being bored if you pick up one or two of the offered activities during the day.

Misc - we did decide to tip pretty much everyone we came in contact with. We didn't have any particular system: $1-$2 USD for each drink order, $3-4 for bellman, a couple of bucks for the beach concierge, $5-10 for dinner... and so on. Some of the staff walked off too fast for us to tip, which shows they don't expect it. We either had to have it ready for them asap, or ask them to hold on while we dug out some cash. We spent about $200 on tips I think, but that included tips for transfers to the airport, into Playa del Carmen, on our off-resort snorkling excursion, etc. So, basically, it wasn't limited to resort tipping.

We are trying to plan another trip in about 5 months, we want to go back so bad! I could go on and on, but think I should stop writing this book. Secrets Maroma - we will be back and hopefully soon!

6  Thank sweetjamieg
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear guest,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us celebrating your birthday and anniversary.

We will love to have you back in this your second home and create again beautiful and unforgettable memories on you.

I would like to thank you for share this fabolous experience you had, with other visitors and of course, for having chosen SMB.

We are very proud of all our employees and all their dedication doing fantastic creations at the kitchen, rooms, bars, shows, etc. We know the staff make the difference between a nice hotel and a excellent hotel.

Looking forward to serve you in the near future.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
info@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I visited Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon and we seriously did not want to leave by the end of our trip.

Our travel agent booked our trip with the honeymoon package. I don't think we paid extra for this which the hotel site claims is a bunch more money. It's a lie. We gave the hotel a copy of our marriage license. With the package we were given dinner on the beach, champagne in the room with fruit, massages, and breakfast in bed service. The dinner on the beach was phenomenal! It was so beautiful and romantic.

The nightly shows at the resort were unreal! One night was a Cirque Du Soleil act and I kid you not they were amazing! The singing, dancing and magic shows on other nights were def worth catching. The entertainment staff were so much fun and really got everyone involved with daily activities and got them pumped during the nightly shows.

We had the swim up room. We stayed in building 16 and got plenty of sun. I was upset we didn't get the beachfront one as originally requested but that did not matter at all! I think we were better off because the beach front ones didn't appear to get much sun or much privacy.

Food and service at every restaurant was out of this world. You also get amazing in room service 24/7!!! DELICIOUS!

I've visited several all inclusive resorts throughout my life and this resort blew them out of the water with the level of service and quality of food. I HIGHLY recommend this resort for couples celebrating their special event. It had a variety of age groups.

Room Tip: Do not bother getting the rooms facing the ocean. They hardly get any sun. Don't add on the pref...

Dear guest,

We thank you for submitting your review for other travelers and for recommending our resort. We are very happy you've decided to spend your honeymoon with us and look forward seeing you again on your first anniversary!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at Secrets Maroma for 8 days and loved it. Food was good, most service was good, and room was great. The resort is beautiful and entertainment staff and the Beach staff are amazing. The hotel staff went out of their way to make to make the experience over the top.

BUT BUT BUT???????

I paid $3,600.00 for my vacation (Flight + Hotel, from JFK) including transfer from airport to hotel, reasonable price for “Adults Only” – All inclusive.
We decide to come back in the end of April 2014 – which is out of season.
I was really surprised that they increased the price on $1,000.00. So right now the price is 4,600.00 including transfer.
Nothing been changed in hotel except the prices.

It’s Over, over, overpriced.

People writing very good reviews and I think this is the reason why the Owners of Secrets Maroma increased the price. (The price for flight didn’t change).

But, one more time; Hotel and staff are amazing. The restaurants are amazing but not for $4,600.00. It’s not New York City or Barcelona (Spain) where rent $50,000.00 per month.

So please think before you pay that amount of money.

3  Thank Yan V

Dear guest,

Thank you for submitting a review and we appreciate your comments , however, allow me to inform that a tax increase has taken place since November 25th in Mexico, so all the rates have been going up, I understand you may think April is low season , but our resort is full all year long , therefore, we do not have "Slow Season" we do have specials, offers and discounts many times wich we will advertise in our website. We ecourage you to take take advantage when this occurs.

With that being said, we are not in the bussiness of taking advantage of people, we are very proud of the quality of our resort and believe everybody gets their money's worth.

If you should make a reservation to come back , please do not hesitate to send me an email so I can make sure you are well taking care of.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have traveled the world nd take our vacations seriously !!! We expect excellence in all areas !!! Secrets Maroma is all of that and more. We have ben there 9 times ...so I would say that speaks for itself! We have brought friends who say the same and hope our children will be married at this property . It would surpass their dreams .

Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
2  Thank jose13Usa

Dear guest,

I'm sad to say you have been here 9 times and I have not had the chance to meet you! Thank you for being such a wonderful guest and keep coming back to Secrets Maroma Beach. We look forward seeing you again in the future and hopefully, this time I will have the chance to thank you in person for your support.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Staff was excellent except for the swim up bar. Massages great, pedicures awful! Very clean and most staff make you feel welcome. Room service was inconsistant, preferred club was pointless other the the upgraded rooms. Honeymoon package was nice but beach dinner was awful food. Shrimp mushy my husband asked if it was mashed potatoes. Food was awful and made us sick several times (did not drink the water). Entertainment was good and drink service around the pool and beach was great. Our neighbors had been to other resorts in mexico and said the food here was below average anf had similar issues.Several times the room was not cleaned or stocked even with the do not disturb light off. Beach was so over crowded you couldnt get a lounge chair unless you went before 8am. I would never return especially since they just increased the price!

Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
7  Thank Meghan Ms B
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear guest,

I would like to apologize if you did not had the experience you deserve.

In Secrets Maroma Beach, we are always looking for meet your expectations and even exceed them, however there are many circumstances, conditions and particular tastes that we can not always accomodate.

Our policy is to work towards continuous improvement and I assure you that we take very serious all your comments.

Regarding the food taste, I already passed your opinion to our executive chef in order to take immediate action.

I hope you can give us another chance to improve your opinion of us.

I hope you can give us another chance to improve your opinion of us.

Rafael Cordova

#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!