“Amazing”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I think everyone else pretty much summed up our experience when we waled into the resort...wow, breath-taking, staff that are unbelievably kind. And then we walked into our swim up room...AMAZING! I loved being able to switch between the party atmosphere of the larger pool and the serenity of the swim up. It was so peaceful. Exactly what we were looking for. Since the other reviews pretty much cover all the other great stuff stuff, I'm going to review just the things I had a hard time finding in reviews when I was trying to decide where to stay (side bar- don't hesitate; stay here!). These things are important to me as a newly visually impaired traveler; I'm not about to give up the things I love!

1. SPA: gorgeous yes, but the hydrotherapy section is tiny compared to other resorts such as Excellence Riviera. the lounge with cool and hot drinks was lovely. There were some areas of the stone floor that were uneven and dark halls that made it a bit difficult to walk, but staff members were always available to help guide the way.

2. ROOM: well lit and spacious enough that we wre not bumping into eachother. The only problem here were all the light switches; it took a while to figure out which switch did what

3. BEACH: best ever! plenty of chairs and beds, we never had to search long and it was easy to get around on the plank walkways. I saw several people with wheelchairs under a palapa as well. plan walkways were close enough to the palapas to make accessibility easy.

4. ACCESSIBILITY:Everything was well marked and signs were easy to spot, but writing was sometimes small. There was always someone around to help provide information or guidance if needed. At one restaurant, lighting was very poor (Portofino maybe?). When the waiter saw me use the flashlight app on my phone, he quickly provided a small flashlight for me to help read the menu. Much appreciated!As I mentioned previously, there were several individuals with mobility impairments so I can only assume that other accessibility needs at this hotel are also good.

Overall, I was extremely happy with my stay. I felt comfortable, beyond indulged, and completely safe despite my visual limitations because of the genuine care from staff as well as the set-up of the resort. I'm looking forward to coming back and trying out the honeymoon suite!

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 10-12 are right in front of the concierge and will get conversation noise bright and...
3 Thank TXtravelista
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and recommending it to other travelers. I'm truly happy you had enjoyed the resort and what makes us proud as always is when people say they will return.

I truly hope we have the chance to host you again.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,376)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

There are so many wonderful things I could say about this hotel and our week we we spent here. From the second we arrived to the moment we left, we were treated wonderfully. The beach, hotel, pool, restaurants, staff, grounds, EVERYTHING was just fabulous.

Here are some tips if you are travelling here:

1) If you aren't interested in investing in a timeshare, I would advise not agreeing to go get the vouchers they 'forgot' to give you at check in. I had thankfully read a load of reviews before my husband and I went here, so I was prepared for the pitches. They will call you the evening you arrive or the next morning if they didn't catch you at check in, and tell you to pick up your vouchers that they forgot to give you. I simply just said I wasn't interested, and that's the last we heard of it.

2) The bottle cap opener is in the bathroom of your room, located on the wall. We didn't think to look in the bathroom unfortunately. We called the front desk initially to ask if they could send up a bottle cap opener, and as always they were very kind, quick, and helpful with telling us where the opener was located.

3) We flew through Sunwing, and the drivers that bring you to the hotel when you arrive in Mexico are separate from the hotel, so the hotel does not arrange pick up for you on the last day of your stay. Simply go to the travel agents office in the hotel, and if a rep isn't there to help you, look for the Sunwing book, or whatever agency you flew with, and it will indicate the time the van will arrive at the hotel for pick up.

My husband and I are so looking forward to coming here again. I would 10000000% recommend staying at this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 1537, partial ocean view. Beautiful!
4 Thank SaRaHsExCiTeD
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and give us a five star rating! I absolutely loved this sentence: My husband and I are so looking forward to coming here again.

I would 10000000% recommend staying at this resort to anyone.
Thank you that comment!

I will encourage you to send me an email next time you wish to return so I can place notes in the system you do not wish to be invited to the sales presentation so coupons will be given to you by our receptionist.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had such a fabulous time. All the staff there are just amazing, super friendly. I loved the food, the entertainment, the beautiful beach. The room I had was very clean and just beautiful and so relaxing. Was my very first time at your resort and I can not wait to return there again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Loved the tittle to your review, it is very nicve you had the "Time of your Life" here , at Secrets Maroma Beach! Please keep my contact information, I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Hola! Our trip was the first time we have been to an all inclusive. The service was exceptional with the friendliest workers. The room was amazing. We had the garden view swim up terace. Simply beautiful. Any time we needed anything it was handled right away and professionally. The resort was exceptionally clean, and well maintained. The food was great and restaurant service was good as well. We were blessed with perfect weather during the first week of December. The beach was beautiful. I would love to return next year. This was a positive wonderful experience for us.

2 Thank Greg C
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Secrets Maroma Beach! We are very happy to read your comments and see that you were very satisfied with customer service, it will be our pleasure to take very good care of you in the future, please keep my contact information for any requests, questions or comments.

Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had given up on All-Inclusive resorts the last 7-8 years because of the horrible buffet food, dirty pools/beaches, and poor customer service but SMB is certainly not included in this group. We vacation 2-3 times a year with kids plus take a trip in the winter by ourselves so we have a pretty good idea what is out there and at what prices.

We like this place and will be returning in February 2014. From the moment you arrive the customer service is outstanding and not a piece litter, empty beer can, or dirty cup anywhere even after a full day of pool/beach use. Check-in is quick, personalized, and done at a nice desk. No standing at a counter. Beautiful lobby and grounds. We read to avoid the timeshare pitch so we just told them that upfront and checked right in. They did call the next morning at 8am, woke me up, I just said no thanks and hung up.

Because the resort is sort of isolated, if you’re on site you’re a guest so it’s so pleasant not to mess with silly wristbands, sign and dine cards, or showing room keys for towels. If you like to take a lot of excursions, tours, or shop off site the travel distance would be a drawback. For us it was a quick four night trip without kids so we just wanted to relax on site.

The beach service was consistently efficient; they always ask which top brand liquor we wanted. Sometimes not much ice in my drink but my wife says I’m an ice nut. We opted for the beach cabana one day ($40)…….I’d say it’s a chick thing as my wife loved it. The pools were heated. Tips are included but we tipped extra $5-10 bucks each day at the pool or beach and again for meals and they were so grateful.

All the restaurants are order off the menu,………..so no buffets with dried up food that everyone has picked thru. HOOOORAAHHH! I'm not usually a dress up kind of guy on vacation but men have to wear long pants at dinner but it didn't bother me.....I actually thought it was nice. We hate to make reservations for our entire stay on our first day because we end up cancelling half of them or changing times. Much prefer their method of putting your name in with the hostess, when & where you want, they give you a pager and then off to the open air lobby bar for a drink or glass of wine. We never waited more than 30 minutes and it was part of the evening fun. The wine that was included with dinner is fine, not great but suffices. We are wine drinkers and didn’t feel like we had to order bottles off the wine list at an additional charge. If we happen to get a bad glass we just ordered something else as it’s all included.

Our style is we sleep in and stay up late when on vacation. No reserving chairs or saving float mats at this resort which is such a nice thing. Nothing worse than having to get up at 6am, walk to the pool or beach and put a flip flop, book or piece of clothing on each chair to reserve for the day. Makes the resort look like a giant garage sale. I read some people were upset for not being able to reserve chairs………this must be the folks that reserve 14 chairs for 8 guest and then go on an excursion to return at 5pm and pick up their stuff. Cabana boys were very helpful putting two chairs together for us if needed or moving to a shade or sunny area. As for as complaints about limited music at the pool……I’d suggest an I-pad with headphones. Also so nice to just go pick up one of many float mats available and put it back in the pile when you’re done vs. seeing everyone hording them but not using them like at other resorts. Pool/beach chairs are nice thick padding, very comfortable…………. no plastic chairs straps at this place!

Save your money with the extra add on for the preferred room as we heard repeatedly it’s a waste of money. The swim out rooms don’t appeal to us either as they are ground level rooms, no view of the ocean, and your neighbors can swim right by your room looking in but I can see how it could appeal to some. We liked our room, nice king bed with high quality bedding. We ordered breakfast room service twice which arrived promptly and ate on the balcony several mornings. The little pass thru box is cool. They put the food in from the outside and close the door on their end , and then you can open it from the inside without having to get dressed or wife hiding in the bathroom from room service people. The frosted glass bathrooms doors are a little weird with not much privacy.

This is not a loud party atmosphere resort with a pool DJ, more along the lines of a refined upscale resort. People are still having fun and drinking but if you’re into wife beater shirts and swim shorts at dinner or drunken loud crowds with rap music at the pool this isn’t going to be the place for you.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank funforall123
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your review and give us a five star rating! We are so happy you've decided to give the All Incluive another chance and you were pleased with the results. I'm sorry about the wake up call by the Unlimited Vacation Club, next time you decide to come back, please let me know and I will make sure to put notes on your reservation.

Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

An absolutely beautiful resort. And the Maroma beach stand up to its reputation. It is magnificant in every way. The suites with their semi-private pools are wonderful. The food was very, very good. An easy walk around the area.

Room Tip: Obvioulsy if a truly baby power beach is your desire you must go to the Meroma beach!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen Secrets Maroma to spend your vacation.

I am glad that you consider us as magnificant and our food as very good.

We will love to have you back home!

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
kansas city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I just returned last night from Secrets Maroma Beach and wanted to write ASAP so it’d be fresh on my mind. We travelled with three others couples, and we all agreed on just about everything I’m writing. This was the fifth couples’ trip in the last six years, and we’ve experienced the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, Excellence Playa Mujeres, the Secrets Silversands, and now SMB. Hopefully it gives you an idea of what we are comparing the SMB to.

Summary: SMB has the potential and should have been the best resort ever. If this is as far as you read and you go as just a couple or a group of 4, you will be very happy happy happy! 6 or more people are what caused our issues.

As you can see by the title, “Best Trip Ever V”, I had the best trip ever. I always have the best trip ever, it’s just how I am. It is VERY hard to annoy me to the point of making me think about it for more than a second, and even harder to get me to write about it. Our whole group laughs and makes fun of trivial things that some reviewers complain about, such as the bathroom doors being glass (if you’re at adults only couples resort you’ve hopefully already experienced crazier sights and sounds in your own bedroom), the mosquito’s biting (you’re outside, around water, with mosquitos, so of course that’s a possibility) and flight delays (how is that the resorts fault?). And let me be very adamant that I loved this resort too, and I would come back, IF a few tweaks are made.

The demographics of our group are each couple is husband/wife, age 35-37, have two young kids at home (each have a 4-5 yr old boy and 1-2 yr old girl) and are college friends looking to get away for a few days. We don’t (can’t) party like we used but like to try and a swim up bar and music are two of our favorite things on these trips.

I’ll start with the negative as 95% of the other reviews you’ll read are positive and deserved. I’ll point out the few things that may affect a group looking to travel here because if I was planning a wedding or something with 6 or more people at this point I’d look elsewhere.

It seemed as though we were being watched by the “whiteshirts” (the staff) as we soon began calling them, from the first hour we arrived at the pool on day 1. It was around 4 pm when we got to the pool and there was moderately loud music playing near the pool bar. At 5 it stopped abruptly (we never heard it again the whole trip) and we brought out our portable speaker and began playing almost the identical music that the SMB disco plays. Within 5 minutes we were told to turn it off by “Fabian”. So we moved locations, turned it on, and 5 minutes later, Fabian appears again and asks us to shut it down. By this point, the pool bar vibe had completely died (more on that later) and we headed to the hot tub and then to dinner. We thought maybe this was just a fluke, as NONE of the previous four resorts EVER said a thing about our music as 1) it wasn’t loud enough (portable speaker) to disturb others, 2) it was reggae, club, island-like non-offensive music and 3) we usually had 15-20 others enjoying it with us.

The next day at the pool was the same story and here’s the crazy part… this was probably the YOUNGEST crowd as a whole, we’ve experienced at any resort, so it’s not like everyone was there for peace and solitude. We’d have music going, and it became a game of cat and mouse as every time we saw “Fabian”, we’d shut it down, but if he caught us he’d ask us to turn it off. We headed to the bar area on the beach, thinking maybe that would be a better area for the party to continue. At first it was awesome down there, as Luis, Urbano and Javier were awesome bartenders and so much fun. There were 25-30 of us at that point, and everyone was having a blast for about an hour until Fabian and the WhiteShirts Henchman shut it down, twice. At this point it got verbally heated not only with us but the other partying guests as there were 20+ others not in our group that were having so much fun and couldn’t understand the reasoning to shut off the music on the beach. The WhiteShirts’ response was there was a couple in a cabana near the beach bar and we might wake them. Do the math genius whiteshirt gang… 1 couple vs 15 couples… who brings in more money to your resort? Not only that, there were at least 10 open cabanas out of earshot from the bar that would have been perfect IF they couple even woke up (they didn’t). If we were the only group to have issues, maybe it was an isolated event, but we heard the same comments from others who were having a little more fun than those who chose to just read and sleep all day.

At EVERY dinner, the resort freaks out when there are 6 or more people trying to eat together and they give you a standard “1 hour minimum” answer as to how long it’ll take to be seated, and it’s actually closer to 2 hours regardless of how full/empty the restaurant. My personal belief is they are afraid of noise, so they push you to the end of the night. We witnessed this personally with our group every night when we had 6 or more and had no issue if we had 4 or less. Another group of 6 we met while vacationing had the exact same problem.

At dinner our fourth night at the Oceana (our least favorite from a food perspective) we were asked to quiet down again, this time by a different whitecoat. At this point it was just an annoyance. When we left, there was management outside waiting for us, and they asked how we were enjoying our stay. We told them exactly what you’ve already read, and they tried to explain to us how they were really trying to cultivate a romantic, quiet resort. If that’s truly the case, then it needs to be advertised as such. In addition, there should never ever be a group of 6 or more allowed, and certainly not any wedding parties, and alcohol should be limited to 5 drinks of less over the course of a day.

The next morning as we were walking to the pool (we hadn’t saved chairs with towels like we should have) we needed to move two chairs closer to two empty chairs, as we only used about 4 chairs for the girls, the guys were in the pool. We moved one and before heading to grab the second one, Fabian, who now went by the name “Jorge” (which he remained for the rest of the trip) said we couldn’t move the chairs. There are 200+ chairs scattered all around, 95% were being used, and none had 4 together. I asked why. He himmed and hawed, I asked why again. He then went and got his manager who came over and he told me “they couldn’t have a single chair sitting alone”. I said “perfect, I’m taking that one too”. They really didn’t like that answer, but reiterated three different times that today and today only they’d make an exception. We later found out from friends we’d met that the whitecoats had been following us closely from the second we got close to the pool.

Here’s my hope and thoughts for this area, which is the ONLY major complaint we had… I’m hoping that Fabian/Jorge is some major suck up and his manager was watching him the whole week and he was following every guideline to the extreme. He actually seemed like a nice guy in the wrong job for him. The majority of the staff, including the beach bartenders said they loved groups like ours as we made it even more fun for them and they even warned us if they knew the whiteshirts were coming. In five trips, we’ve NEVER had a single issue with noise, but this one it was every day, except one. One of the late afternoons we all went to the hot tub, and another couple of six had just arrived at the resort and was ready to party. The music was louder than it had been the whole time, and the clothing was a LOT less, and no one ever said a word to us that night! So even Fabian/Jorge enjoyed the sight of beautiful half-naked women despite his rules! Enough on that, you get my point, now on to the great things!

The beach is spectacular, hands down the best of the five we’ve been to. We even walked to the IB Grand and it looked a little weary compared to five years ago, and it’s beach was still pretty sad compared to SMB.

The food was great, but not as great as the Secrets Silversands which is weird because I’m sure they use all the same ingredients, but obviously something just wasn’t as good as I remembered. Our two favorites were the Italian (everything) and Asian (the sit down, not the hibachi), be sure to order the Mexican roll. Next we liked the Hibachi and Mexican, and our least favorite was Oceana (the food just wasn’t as good as the rest, definitely skip the deserts).
The pool side food menu was very good and fast. And we didn’t discover the lunch buffet in the World Cafe until the last day and it was awesome, we wish we had found it sooner. The breakfast buffet was very good every day.

The rooms are exactly what you see in the pictures, they’re awesome. All 5 resorts we’ve been to have very similar layouts and looks and that’s a great thing. The rooms do have channel 14 (adult content).

All the bars have a good selection of top shelf liquor and tequila. The main bar by the restaurant offered a ton of variety and the pomegranate martini and margarita are delicious. The beach bar was our favorite. The pool bar was our least favorite, by a mile, and we were so disappointed in it. I won’t name the main guy’s name, but he was obviously annoyed at his job. No matter how early or late in the day we were an inconvenience to him. A great bartender can make or break the pool bar, and it was obvious SMB didn’t want people drinking because he was there every day (even after numerous complaints to change him for more fun people) and the pool bar was the LEAST crowded bar, a very weird thing at a resort like this.

The more I’ve travelled I’ve realized I can deal with a little lesser quality property, for higher quality staff. The sad thing is, the overwhelming majority of the SMB staff was spectacular, but the one bad apple happened to follow us around every day leaving a bad taste on the resort as whole.

At the end of the trip, we all agreed that this has the POTENTIAL to be spectacular. On my rating scale, I'd give this a 8/10, the SSS a 9/10 (less money, better food) the EPM a 8.5/10 (loved it, SSS being just a notch better) and the Iberostar Grands a 10/10 (but generally pricier). Feel free to email me with any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor and you will have a great view
7 Thank shacker11
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing SMB to enjoy your well deserved vacation.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy 100% as you would have wanted, the truth is, as you mentioned, in SMB we are committed to each of the couples who visit us; the couple who wants to have fun, the couple who wants to rest or read, the couple who comes to celebrate, etc. not only with the groups but the 600 guest we have every day in the resort.

I apologize if you felt watched, it was never our intention to bother, but comply with our standards.

I am glad that you have a good opinion of our magnificent resort, our service and employees. I assure you that our only goal is to make your stay with us memorable, enjoyable and unforgetable.

Hopefully you can give us another opportunity to serve you in this paradise of romance, relaxation and enjoyment.

Rafael Cordova
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,088 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,996 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!