“Secrets Maroma Beach Mexico”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. John's, Canada
“Secrets Maroma Beach Mexico”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My stay at secrets was awesome. The resort itself was breath taking. This was our first time outside of Canada and i'm glad it was Secrets who have helped me get the travel bug because we will travel again and it will be secrets who i will choose to make my vacation complete. The service was exceptional,the beach beautiful ,the rooms wonderful, i cannot really describe the beauty of your resort.also at World Buffet Resturant ,a waiter,Andreas went above and beyond with his service.We looked forward to going there everyday and seeing and speaking to him.He told lots of wonderful things about Mexico so much we plan on coming back for a longer stay.Andreas gave us awesome service,he always had a smile and was very helpful in helping us decide on our meals.Again he was an AWESOME waiter. Over all your resort was THE BEST and I will return and anywhere I travel secrets will be my place to go.Thanks for an awesome vacation secrets keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms are excellent with semi private swimming pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review about our property, you must know I already forwarded this review to Andres manager so he knows what an asset he has! I encourage you to send me an email next time you are ready to come back to Secrets Maroma Beach.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,473)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After reading TA reviews, I chose SBM for a last minute (booked 12/24 for departure 12/31!) solo trip. My first impression was guarded; unlike the other hotels along the "Zona" SBM does not have a gorgeous entryway off the main highway. There is a little sign and gate and you drive several km back to the hotel. The grounds up front are not awe-inspiring. However, once I entered the lobby I relaxed. It was lovely, decorated for the holidays and tastefully done. Don't judge a book, right? Although an adults only hotel (which was my preference), I did not feel overwhelmed with honeymooners. Obviously most of the guests were honeymoon type couples but many were simply older couples on vacation with friends and were very friendly and welcoming to this single gal.

My thoughts as I get ready to leave tomorrow:

1) Check In: very easy, took all of 10 minutes. Perhaps because I was there alone I got no sales pitch. When I was told I was booked into a room with 2 double beds, I inquired about a King and was immediately accomodated.

2) Room: despite the "5 Diamond AAA" status, one should not expect that this is a "5 star" hotel along the lines of St. Regis, Four Seasons, etc. The room was lovely, with a large bathroom, jetted tub (more about that in a minute), a seating area and a balcony with real furniture (not the typical wrought iron bistro seat). The furnishings are nice but not luxurious. The room was very clean; the housekeepers must spent a lot of time on the rooms, as I came back to my room to see they were only 2 rooms away and by 90 minutes later, they still had not gotten to my room to service it.

The bath has large sized shampoo/conditioner/bath gel which I appreciated rather than the tiny little bottles you get elsewhere. A hairdryer is provided as are the other usual amenities (shower cap, q-tips etc.) The only issue I had with the bath is that the water for the tub was merely warm; I I could never get the temperature truly hot to really enjoy a lengthy bath before the water was cold. As others have noted, there is no divider between the bedroom and the bath. There is a glass-less window above the tub so you can see into the bedroom. Nice if you want to watch tv while in the bath, but it might make some uncomfortable. I've encountered this sort of set-up in Asia, but never in the US.

3) Food - I typically don't do AIs because I simply don't eat enough (and drink a rare alcoholic drink) to make it worth the cost. After all, these are not $600/night rooms, you are paying for the food and other amenities. However, when you book at the last minute, you take what is available.

That being said, the food was not bad.I enjoyed the morning breakfast with a very wide array of crepe and omelette stations, french toast, waffles, pancakes, cereals, meats and cheese, fruits, etc. Alejandro did an excellent job as my waiter on several days.

I ate dinner at the Mexican restaurant which had some interesting choices on the menu; I really enjoyed the creamy black bean soup and sopapitas. It is not classic in terms of what we Americans think of as Mexican food; this was appealing to me. The major drawback at all the restaurants was the slowness of service. Now perhaps some people want to spend 2 hours having dinner and I enjoy that myself. Nor do I want to be rushed. But when dining solo, there's only so many times I can look around the room, try and avoid looking at my phone, etc. before I start to feel uncomfortable or starve between courses.

SBM does not take reservations at any of its restaurants except the Japanese one. Frankly, unless you had a large group, it didn't seem necessary to me. They tell you when the "high volume" times are and I simply arrived for my meals outside of those times. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I saw other, larger parties, have the same service.

There is a mini-fridge in the room stocked with coke, coke light, corona, sprite, orange juice and water. It would be nice to have some snacks (nuts, cookies) in the room; sometimes you want a little snack before heading out but don't want to go to the lobby.

I ordered room service on a couple of occasions and the response was always professional and quick. The menu is somewhat limited but the food was good, the order always accurate and arrived in less time than estimated piping hot! They have a passthrough called the "secrets box" which can be used to deliver food or place your empty plates and not have to open the door. Nice if like me, you're already in your pjs when you order some tea and cookies!

4) Bars - plenty of em! There is a lovely one in the lobby that made good, but strong, cocktails and served them (on a couple of occasions) with crackers and nuts. The bartenders at the beach bar were gregarious and attentive. Everything seems to be labeled as top shelf. It is odd that if you want wine, it is not included on the AI. I was interested in a wine I like from California, but it was not worth paying > $50 for when I know its less than $15 at home. <shrug> There was plenty of other offerings to not matter to me.

5) Entertainment - every day you are given a list of activities offered; from yoga, to games around the pool, to evening shows, there is plenty to do. SBM is not on "the strip" so its not like you can walk down the street to go somewhere else. I didn't attend any of these but did watch some of the beach games which everyone seemed to enjoy.

6) Beach - it is true. It is the most gorgeous beach in the area. I walked more than 6 miles up and down the beach and all of the other hotels had grainy sand, rocks along the beach, trash or lots of seaweed. Perhaps its just the tide because I didn't see any special effort by SBM staff to clean up the beach, it just didn't seem to need it. Around the corner there was a copious amount of trash which washed up. Very sad. But the beach in front of SBM was clean, the sand soft and the beach wait staff attentive. There is a no saving chair policy which is great. We didn't have much sun during my trip but I went out about 10 am, apparently beating most of the couples because I got a great chair! It did fill up later and people did tend to leave their towels on the chairs and disappear for a few hours and then come back. Not sure what can be done about that, as you can't really police people who want to go get lunch, etc. Chairs were in good condition, as were the tables. There are beachside Bali beds which can be reserved; I had planned on doing that but then the next day dawned cloudy and rainy.

7) Service - this is really where SBM shines. Every staff member greeted me as I passed them in the halls, was friendly and accomodating. Most spoke decent English and understood my hybrid Spanish/French/English (sometimes I would forget whether a word was Spanish or French..lol). I was asked several times, "you are here alone? Why?" The staff is very well trained but I would suggest to the management to educate the staff that some single women would take such a comment as insulting. I was not bothered by it (having traveled alone several times previously) but some might be. It can also be scary for a single woman traveling alone in a foreign country, and she does not necessarily want to advertise that she is alone, lest someone who might do her harm would overhear.

The only complaint I would have is: stop with all the phone calls. The concierge called nearly every day to see if there was anything I needed. I will call if there is, believe me,

Today, I took a very long walk on the beach and came back soaking wet from the rain. I wanted to take a bath and a nap. I received 2 phone calls to ask if I wanted my room cleaned because I had my "do not disturb" light on. It has been my experience that if one has the "do not disturb sign out, that means don't knock, don't call, don't enter. Maybe if I had it on for like 3 days, you could call and make sure I"m still alive, but seriously. Can't a girl be left alone for 2 hours?

All and all, outside of the weather, I was very pleased with my trip and would recommend the SBM to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Winged_Scapula
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen SMB to spend your vacation. Also for having taken the time to share your experience with other travelers.

I appreciate all your beautiful and kind comments regarding the service and experience you had during your stay with us.

Regarding the questions about if you was traveling alone, I apologize. I am taking note about this comments.
You are totally right regarding the phone calls, unfortunately we do have many people that put the DND on for mistake and as our policy says, nobody can enter to clean or restock the room. That is why we chose to call and confirm that you do not need anything. I am very sorry if We made you feel uncomfortable, believe me that never was our staff's intention and they only were looking to provide the unlimited luxury service you deserve.

I hope you consider us for your next vacation, we will love to have you back.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Aguas de Lindoia, SP
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I stayed for ten days at the Secrets Maroma Beach for the Christmas and the New Year's Eve. It was the best resort we had been. Everything was perfect. The service was the best we've ever seen all our life. The resort is beautiful, well maintened, romantic. At night, the restaurants are all a la carte and thematic. We love the Portofino( italian).We had dinner three times there. The japonese and the SeaSide( steak house) are wonderful too.
We don't like only two things:
1-We found a lot of frills man could not eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet restaurant wearing sleeveless.I did not find it the least logical.
2-What we really disliked was the lack of privacy in the bathroom suite. The suite is gorgeous but the bathroom is completely open to the suite. There are only a glass door separating the basin of the suite room. It's not confortable.
Anyway, wonderful hotel and worthing the five Diamond Awards. Congratulations. We had ten unforgettable days at this beautiful resort. We would like to come back of course.

Room Tip: We stayed at Preferred Club Suite. We didn't like worth to pay so much for it. Really, there'...
Dear guest,

Absolutely loved the tittle to this review! Thank you so much for writing it and for giving us a five star rating! There is one point on your review I would like to poin out:

Man are required to wear sleeves at the breakfast buffet for sanitary reasons. As you know we have a distintive H wich means sanitary and higiene control. Everybody seems to be happier when we explain why we do certain things , I hope this will put your mind at ease.

We definitely look forward having you back home again!

Baltimore
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The staff at Secrets is really great and they all work very hard to make your stay a good one. That said, we went with our college-aged boys. Really the resort is geared towards couples with double bath tubs, etc. The all inclusive is great for boys who eat a lot. Not so great if you're a bit picky about wines. Also the food really was only average. They have a nice big beach although the chaises were usually taken by 10. The pool is a "Scene", music and a lot of drinking. Just not our type of hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms with the "private" pools are really sharing a pool with the whole first floor of...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank rmjyflynn
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen SMB between all the available options.

Also, I would like to thank the nice comment regarding our hardworking and motivated staff.

I passed your comments regarding the wine and food to our Food and Beverage director in order to follow up, for us all our guest's comments, opinions and suggestion are very important.

I am very sorry to know that we are not your type of hotel, SMB is a hotel catering to couples but not only. We have activities for each and every type of person and you can have as much entertainment or as little.

I hope you could give us another chance to surprise you and change your perspective about us.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
info.semrc@secrestsresorts.com
Lancashire
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had an amazing 2 weeks at the Secrets Maroma Beach and would highly recommend this hotel!! It is the best all inclusive we have ever been to with the most friendly and attentive staff we have seen and definitely the best food!! Steaks fantastic!! The hotel and its surroundings, including the pools and beach, are beautiful. We would recommend hiring a beach cabana where you will be given a personal waiter and concierge who will look after you all day and all for just $40. All bars served premium branded drinks and the wine was great too. We particularly enjoyed evenings at the Sugar Reef where we met some great people!! The event staff and entertainment was the best we have seen at a hotel so were very impressed. We decided to go to Xei-ha and Xcaret and would definitely recommend to visit both places. With snorkling in Xei-ha in the beautiful and natural aquarium and exploring the eco park and under water caves at Xcaret you will have 2 brilliant days out! We bought these trips as a package which also allowed us to go to Tulum, ruins, and Playa del Carmen for shopping and nightlife. We did not try the spa but heard from others that it was amazing. You can do as much or as little as you want in this hotel and you will have a great time! The only thing that could be fixed is the road leading up to the hotel as it's condition is bad but apart from that there is nothing we could fault! See you in 5 years :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ker085
Dear guest,

After reading this wonderful review, I definitely hope to see you sooner than five years! I appreciate you taking the time to write this wonderful review and just a quick note about you comment on the main road coming to the hotel, the city does not allow the hotel to build a road to protect the area. We are defenitely working on it and as soon as we can , we would, since we want everything to be perfect for our guests.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

That's what they say when you pull up; "welcome to your new home!" Then you are offered a cool fresh towel and escorted to the guest lobby. The front desk is a series of four desk stations, each with two chairs so that you can be seated through your check in process. Upon checking in you are presented with a glass of champagne with a cherry garnish. Everyone is genuinely pleased to assist and meet your needs. Our bellhop was so kind as to not only speedily deliver our bags to our room but also provide us with a quick tour. Our personal concierge (two for each building so they can readily meet your needs) was helpful to assist my husband in making dinner reservations (taken at the Hibachi restaurant) and get tickets to the evening shows. He even made our appointment at the PHENOMENAL spa (more on that later). We promptly got settled into our room and ran to the insanely clean and tidily kept beach. Seaweed and sea trash at a minimum. They have staff to keep their section of the beach clean. The beach concierge were great at taking orders and quickly bringing you whatever you needed; drinks, water, cool towel, moving free chairs to your location, etc. This resort is a little far removed from the "resort strip" you'll see as you get closer to Cancun. This led to quiet nights; all you can hear is the ocean.
Entertainmet staff was excellent. We spent NYE n the resort and the dinner and party was great.
I can't say enough great things about this property. It far exceeded our expectations and we are already making plans to return next holiday. The weather his time of year is PERFECTION!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Latiamh
Dear guest,

Thank you for using the word PERFECTION on your review! This definitive says it all! We appreciate your comments and the fact that you were so please tells me we will have the pleasure to have you back soon. Please keep my contact information and do not hesitate to send me an email next time you wish to come back.

Drummondville, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Our first time in Riviera Maya... . We're mostly beach lovers and were more than pleased with Maroma Beach...every employee strives to give the best service..smiling people...good food. Best service we ever had. Resort is quiet and peaceful which we enjoyed. The evening shows were quite good...would definitely recommend.

2 Thank Signal2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for recommending our resort to other travelers and for giving us a five star rating. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!