“Just the best”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I could go on and on how good everything was - big thank you to Jordan, Ashma,Paulinea, Hugo oh and the Firminator and all the staff for just making our Christmas and Kathy`s birthday so wonderful.
For persons wanting to go to Secrets: Be aware that it is a bit off the beaten track and you will need a cab to get anywhere off the resort.
Not the hotels fault [ mankind's fault] the beach had quite a bit of detritus washed up, the guys cleaned the hotels section up but be warned if you go for a walk.
As the Hotel is in a mangrove please spray up in the evening and you wont have any problem
If the Hotel is busy you may have to wait a bit for a restaurant 20 /30 mins is the longest we had to wait, which was not a problem we just went for another cocktail.
For the English when ordering meat; go one up from what you usually order. as medium comes up quite pink - lovely meat though.

Cant wait till we go back

Room Tip: They are all good
2  Thank 295jake1963
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We also thank you for naming the people who made your stay more enjoyable. I will encouragee you to send me an email when you are ready to resturn and please remind me of this wonderful review!

There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I've read various reviews of the resort both good and bad. I had a great time and would go to another AI resort. It should be noted the room rate was a discounted rate from hotels.com.

The staff was pleasant and attentive. My pal and I ate at different restaurants on the property -- Portifino, World Cafe, Oceana and Himitsu. My two favorite meals were at Oceana & Himitsu. World Cafe had buffets for breakfast and lunch which included a wide variety of foods which were done well. Portifino in my opinion was a bit lackluster. Room service was fine & has a limited menu.

While the pool is open the service and drink refills were good. A few drinks seemed watered down, but all in all not bad. I saw nothing on the wine list which I wanted to purchase and the house wine included in the price were fine.

Entertainment was alright and had a bit of something for everyone.

I had two services at the spa which were great and was able to use two of the coupons to offset the cost.

As for the timeshare pitch, we simply said no at check in and there was no other mention of it.

If I had paid a premium rate my thoughts may be less generous but definitely got our money's worth

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lopeva
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen SMB.

Our goal is not only meet your expectations but exceed them. I apologize if you did not receive the service you deserve.
I appreciate al the valuable comments you gave us, listening our guest is the only way to keep being the number 1 hotel at the Yucatan Península.

I appreciate also the oportunity you gave us for serving you, thank you for consider our staff as pleasant and attentive.

We will love to have the oportunity to serve you again in the future.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a review on our wonderful stay at secrets Maroma beach. I will start by saying how pleased I was that we upgraded to the preferred club as the view from our room 2636 was magnificent. We had originally booked a standard room and I contacted the hotel direct and they sorted the upgrade out for us at a reasonable cost. Our room was with king-size bed which was so comfy and all the mod cons you find in most five star hotels. We would have to say that the staff makes this place a pleasure to be staying at, booking in at the preferred lounge was so easy and the luggage was in the room as soon as we arrived.
The pool area was always kept clean and the pools looked so inviting to cool down in, but the main attraction was the magnificent beach with soft sand and lovely coloured warm sea with waves breaking every few seconds. It felt like heaven !!!!
We are not normally beach people spending most the time on the poolside but not this holiday, it was the beach every day for us so we could enjoy its grand environment. We did do some hobie cat sailing which was very easy in the open waters apart from our last day which was a full on shore wind made it very difficult to get away from the shore. We played golf six times whilst away at three different courses and we both agreed that Mayakoba was the best by far and probably one of the best ever courses played on vacation. Beware of the complimentary golf at Grand Coral. This is not what it seems as after paying for a buggy and a premium to play in the morning it is nearly as cheap to play at other courses. Also the buggies that they charge an extortionate rate for are very basic, not reliable and break down after 3 holes!
The next subject that eats close to our hearts whilst on holiday is the food. We would score this 8/10 at this resort. The chefs must differ on certain nights and when they do the food can go from being perfect to just average. For example the French restaurant first visit, waiter Oswaldo perfect gentleman, great advice on the menu and the food served to perfection. Second visit was just not on it. Wives steak returned, under done and the second one was just the same and other things which were just not as good! We would both say that the seafood place was to die for and Juan our waiter was such knowledgeable on food. We booked a lobster meal with wine on Christmas day which turned out to be seven course extravaganza (Thanks to the excellent chef Sarah). We met Javier and Alberto whilst eating here and their attention to detail was second to none. Because of the service we received from these people we decided to eat there on our last night. They surprized us and set out our table by the pool, eating under the stars was so romantic. Breakfasts were always good apart from once at the a la carte being so slow and inconsistence to our previous visit.
The Rendezvous Bar had a great atmosphere. All the bar people were very quick to serve you but special mentions must go to Toribio,Sinhue, Vanessa and Natalia. The bar managers kept a tight ship and always made polite conversation. Angel in the preferred lounge bar was also very good.
Gonzalo was to be given some recognition from the preferred club area as he offered brilliant assistance at all times. Our only small complaint would be the mini bar lack of choice and restocking and the fact all drinks had to be ordered from room service and delivery would take approx. 30 mins to reach the secrets box in the room, other hotels of this standard grace you full size spirit bottles and wine of your choice. A part from this last LITTLE NIGGLE, holiday, hotel and most of the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: choose a high floor for a fabulous sea view we were in block 26 3rd floor A1
3  Thank Reggie38

Dear guest,

What a wonderful review about our property! I want to thank you for giving us a five star rating and for writing the names of those who made your stay extra special, that is what we aim for, 100% in customer satisfaction. I put myself at your service, please do not hesitate to send me an email when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I decided to take a vacation over Christmas and our travel agent recommended this resort to us. This resort reflects the brochures and website exactly and we were very pleased! It was perfectly maintained and cleaned (and I'm very picky) and the service was stellar! The food was actually much better than we anticipated and had experienced at other all-inclusives and our favorites were Portofino, Bordeaux, Himitsu and El Patio. The buffets were huge with tons of choices. My husband likes to eat healthier at breakfast and he had no problems...he also enjoyed using the fitness center each day. We spent most of our time at the beach during the days and it was stunning and perfectly maintained. We also did a preferred club swim out room. We would definitely do preferred club again since it allowed us unlimited access to the spa for hydrotherapy (use of the sauna, steam room, massage pools, etc) and we loved that! Since our swim up room was situated in an area that was mostly shaded during the day, we didn't use it much since it was too cold. If we did a swim out room again, we would want to make sure it was on the sunny side. We were amazed considering how large the resort it, that it was still relaxing and serene and nothing ever felt packed. We will definitely be returning to this resort. Service far exceeded anything we have ever experienced!!!

1  Thank cdtatum

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review about our properrty! We appreciate your comments are we are happy to see you took advantage of everything the resort has to offer (taking advantage of the free hydrotherapy was a very good idea) Below find my contact information, I encourage you to write me if you have any questions, comments or concerns about our property.

Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My stay at secrets was awesome. The resort itself was breath taking. This was our first time outside of Canada and i'm glad it was Secrets who have helped me get the travel bug because we will travel again and it will be secrets who i will choose to make my vacation complete. The service was exceptional,the beach beautiful ,the rooms wonderful, i cannot really describe the beauty of your resort.also at World Buffet Resturant ,a waiter,Andreas went above and beyond with his service.We looked forward to going there everyday and seeing and speaking to him.He told lots of wonderful things about Mexico so much we plan on coming back for a longer stay.Andreas gave us awesome service,he always had a smile and was very helpful in helping us decide on our meals.Again he was an AWESOME waiter. Over all your resort was THE BEST and I will return and anywhere I travel secrets will be my place to go.Thanks for an awesome vacation secrets keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms are excellent with semi private swimming pool.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review about our property, you must know I already forwarded this review to Andres manager so he knows what an asset he has! I encourage you to send me an email next time you are ready to come back to Secrets Maroma Beach.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

After reading TA reviews, I chose SBM for a last minute (booked 12/24 for departure 12/31!) solo trip. My first impression was guarded; unlike the other hotels along the "Zona" SBM does not have a gorgeous entryway off the main highway. There is a little sign and gate and you drive several km back to the hotel. The grounds up front are not awe-inspiring. However, once I entered the lobby I relaxed. It was lovely, decorated for the holidays and tastefully done. Don't judge a book, right? Although an adults only hotel (which was my preference), I did not feel overwhelmed with honeymooners. Obviously most of the guests were honeymoon type couples but many were simply older couples on vacation with friends and were very friendly and welcoming to this single gal.

My thoughts as I get ready to leave tomorrow:

1) Check In: very easy, took all of 10 minutes. Perhaps because I was there alone I got no sales pitch. When I was told I was booked into a room with 2 double beds, I inquired about a King and was immediately accomodated.

2) Room: despite the "5 Diamond AAA" status, one should not expect that this is a "5 star" hotel along the lines of St. Regis, Four Seasons, etc. The room was lovely, with a large bathroom, jetted tub (more about that in a minute), a seating area and a balcony with real furniture (not the typical wrought iron bistro seat). The furnishings are nice but not luxurious. The room was very clean; the housekeepers must spent a lot of time on the rooms, as I came back to my room to see they were only 2 rooms away and by 90 minutes later, they still had not gotten to my room to service it.

The bath has large sized shampoo/conditioner/bath gel which I appreciated rather than the tiny little bottles you get elsewhere. A hairdryer is provided as are the other usual amenities (shower cap, q-tips etc.) The only issue I had with the bath is that the water for the tub was merely warm; I I could never get the temperature truly hot to really enjoy a lengthy bath before the water was cold. As others have noted, there is no divider between the bedroom and the bath. There is a glass-less window above the tub so you can see into the bedroom. Nice if you want to watch tv while in the bath, but it might make some uncomfortable. I've encountered this sort of set-up in Asia, but never in the US.

3) Food - I typically don't do AIs because I simply don't eat enough (and drink a rare alcoholic drink) to make it worth the cost. After all, these are not $600/night rooms, you are paying for the food and other amenities. However, when you book at the last minute, you take what is available.

That being said, the food was not bad.I enjoyed the morning breakfast with a very wide array of crepe and omelette stations, french toast, waffles, pancakes, cereals, meats and cheese, fruits, etc. Alejandro did an excellent job as my waiter on several days.

I ate dinner at the Mexican restaurant which had some interesting choices on the menu; I really enjoyed the creamy black bean soup and sopapitas. It is not classic in terms of what we Americans think of as Mexican food; this was appealing to me. The major drawback at all the restaurants was the slowness of service. Now perhaps some people want to spend 2 hours having dinner and I enjoy that myself. Nor do I want to be rushed. But when dining solo, there's only so many times I can look around the room, try and avoid looking at my phone, etc. before I start to feel uncomfortable or starve between courses.

SBM does not take reservations at any of its restaurants except the Japanese one. Frankly, unless you had a large group, it didn't seem necessary to me. They tell you when the "high volume" times are and I simply arrived for my meals outside of those times. I never waited more than 5 minutes and I saw other, larger parties, have the same service.

There is a mini-fridge in the room stocked with coke, coke light, corona, sprite, orange juice and water. It would be nice to have some snacks (nuts, cookies) in the room; sometimes you want a little snack before heading out but don't want to go to the lobby.

I ordered room service on a couple of occasions and the response was always professional and quick. The menu is somewhat limited but the food was good, the order always accurate and arrived in less time than estimated piping hot! They have a passthrough called the "secrets box" which can be used to deliver food or place your empty plates and not have to open the door. Nice if like me, you're already in your pjs when you order some tea and cookies!

4) Bars - plenty of em! There is a lovely one in the lobby that made good, but strong, cocktails and served them (on a couple of occasions) with crackers and nuts. The bartenders at the beach bar were gregarious and attentive. Everything seems to be labeled as top shelf. It is odd that if you want wine, it is not included on the AI. I was interested in a wine I like from California, but it was not worth paying > $50 for when I know its less than $15 at home. <shrug> There was plenty of other offerings to not matter to me.

5) Entertainment - every day you are given a list of activities offered; from yoga, to games around the pool, to evening shows, there is plenty to do. SBM is not on "the strip" so its not like you can walk down the street to go somewhere else. I didn't attend any of these but did watch some of the beach games which everyone seemed to enjoy.

6) Beach - it is true. It is the most gorgeous beach in the area. I walked more than 6 miles up and down the beach and all of the other hotels had grainy sand, rocks along the beach, trash or lots of seaweed. Perhaps its just the tide because I didn't see any special effort by SBM staff to clean up the beach, it just didn't seem to need it. Around the corner there was a copious amount of trash which washed up. Very sad. But the beach in front of SBM was clean, the sand soft and the beach wait staff attentive. There is a no saving chair policy which is great. We didn't have much sun during my trip but I went out about 10 am, apparently beating most of the couples because I got a great chair! It did fill up later and people did tend to leave their towels on the chairs and disappear for a few hours and then come back. Not sure what can be done about that, as you can't really police people who want to go get lunch, etc. Chairs were in good condition, as were the tables. There are beachside Bali beds which can be reserved; I had planned on doing that but then the next day dawned cloudy and rainy.

7) Service - this is really where SBM shines. Every staff member greeted me as I passed them in the halls, was friendly and accomodating. Most spoke decent English and understood my hybrid Spanish/French/English (sometimes I would forget whether a word was Spanish or French..lol). I was asked several times, "you are here alone? Why?" The staff is very well trained but I would suggest to the management to educate the staff that some single women would take such a comment as insulting. I was not bothered by it (having traveled alone several times previously) but some might be. It can also be scary for a single woman traveling alone in a foreign country, and she does not necessarily want to advertise that she is alone, lest someone who might do her harm would overhear.

The only complaint I would have is: stop with all the phone calls. The concierge called nearly every day to see if there was anything I needed. I will call if there is, believe me,

Today, I took a very long walk on the beach and came back soaking wet from the rain. I wanted to take a bath and a nap. I received 2 phone calls to ask if I wanted my room cleaned because I had my "do not disturb" light on. It has been my experience that if one has the "do not disturb sign out, that means don't knock, don't call, don't enter. Maybe if I had it on for like 3 days, you could call and make sure I"m still alive, but seriously. Can't a girl be left alone for 2 hours?

All and all, outside of the weather, I was very pleased with my trip and would recommend the SBM to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Winged_Scapula
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen SMB to spend your vacation. Also for having taken the time to share your experience with other travelers.

I appreciate all your beautiful and kind comments regarding the service and experience you had during your stay with us.

Regarding the questions about if you was traveling alone, I apologize. I am taking note about this comments.
You are totally right regarding the phone calls, unfortunately we do have many people that put the DND on for mistake and as our policy says, nobody can enter to clean or restock the room. That is why we chose to call and confirm that you do not need anything. I am very sorry if We made you feel uncomfortable, believe me that never was our staff's intention and they only were looking to provide the unlimited luxury service you deserve.

I hope you consider us for your next vacation, we will love to have you back.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I stayed for ten days at the Secrets Maroma Beach for the Christmas and the New Year's Eve. It was the best resort we had been. Everything was perfect. The service was the best we've ever seen all our life. The resort is beautiful, well maintened, romantic. At night, the restaurants are all a la carte and thematic. We love the Portofino( italian).We had dinner three times there. The japonese and the SeaSide( steak house) are wonderful too.
We don't like only two things:
1-We found a lot of frills man could not eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet restaurant wearing sleeveless.I did not find it the least logical.
2-What we really disliked was the lack of privacy in the bathroom suite. The suite is gorgeous but the bathroom is completely open to the suite. There are only a glass door separating the basin of the suite room. It's not confortable.
Anyway, wonderful hotel and worthing the five Diamond Awards. Congratulations. We had ten unforgettable days at this beautiful resort. We would like to come back of course.

Room Tip: We stayed at Preferred Club Suite. We didn't like worth to pay so much for it. Really, there'...

Dear guest,

Absolutely loved the tittle to this review! Thank you so much for writing it and for giving us a five star rating! There is one point on your review I would like to poin out:

Man are required to wear sleeves at the breakfast buffet for sanitary reasons. As you know we have a distintive H wich means sanitary and higiene control. Everybody seems to be happier when we explain why we do certain things , I hope this will put your mind at ease.

We definitely look forward having you back home again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!