“Better Than I Remember!!!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary
“Better Than I Remember!!!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at SMB in June 2010 with my daughter and loved the resort. My husband and I, with another couple went to SMB Dec 9-19th and I must say everything was better than I remembered.

My Favorite Things

SMB has a heated pool – because we travel in December this can be very important. Sometimes the ocean has a red flag and is really not safe to swim in and often in Dec and Jan the unheated pools are so cold they are unusable.

There are 7 ala carte restaurants at SMB – if you are staying for 10 days or 2 weeks this is a definite plus.

There is no towel game at SMB – there are numerous pool and beach concierges and they will find you beach chairs, open umbrella’s etc. They also move personal items and towels that are left unattended. The 5 or 6 a.m. “chair save” does not happen at SMB. Also there are tons of spots at the beach and the pools with lots of shade.

The lounge chairs at the beach and pools are very comfortable and the cushions never slide.

The spa at SMB is incredible – must be seen to be believed.

No dinner reservations required and no wristbands. Neither of these is a huge issue but given a preference I would chose no dinner reservations and no wristbands. We only waited once for dinner (in 10 days). We just went for a before dinner drink until our “flasher flashed”.

Three of the shows at SMB are spectacular: The Fire show, The Cirque show and The Rock show. I would have no problem watching these shows twice. Also, SMB has a house band “Quarzo” they are fabulous.

Beach and pool service at SMB was outstanding during our 10 days.

In Summary

For the first time in 15 trips to the Mayan Riviera we booked private transportation (USA Transfers) they were very good, reasonable and reliable. It was great not having to wait for everyone to board the bus – we were at the resort within an hour of landing.

We did not book Preferred Club so we checked-in at the lobby, we were given cold scented towels and champagne. I was a little concerned when our check-in lady told us our room had 2 beds rather than a kingsize bed. However, they kept us in the same building as our friends and gave us an ocean view room. My husband is 6’6” – he needs a kingsize bed! I informed the lady it was not important to be in the same building as our friends or to have an ocean view room but it was imperative to have a kingsize bed. She called her supervisor and after working on the computer they found a kingsize swim up room. Needless to say we were very grateful.

When the VIP lady came with the coupons I told her we were not interested in the sales presentation. No issue.

We found our room and the bell boy was there immediately with our luggage. The room was spacious, had a nespresso coffee machine, very comfortable bed, Wi-Fi, everything we needed and more. Note: the swim up is nice, I used it twice in ten days – not sure I would pay extra.

We ate at all the ala carte restaurants at night and they were all excellent with excellent service. Wait time was not an issue. The all-inclusive wine selection is limited (but ok) and the wine offered for an extra cost is very expensive.

For breakfast there is the main buffet with a huge selection. Carlos provided very good service at the breakfast buffet. There is also a breakfast restaurant open from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., by the pool that serves everything (omelets, crepes, waffles, pancakes, eggs etc.).

Lunch at SMB has numerous choices: 1) the barefoot grill provides, burgers, hot dogs, chicken wings, fish, ribs, guacamole, salsa, chips, etc.; 2) you can order lunch from the server to be delivered to your beach chair; 3) The Seaside Grill by the pools is a nice sit-down restaurant with a good selection; 4) the main buffet at World Café is awesome; 6) Coco Café services sandwiches and lots of fancy coffee drinks; 5) The chefs come around with platters of food (including Paella) around 1 p.m.

We loved Secrets Maroma Beach and would highly recommend and will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank DebB-TA
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your five star rating review! We appreciate your comments and we are so happy you've enjoyed everything at our resort.

We look forward having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future,

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,518)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We spent 6 days in this luxurious resort and I would definately return here again one day. We stayed in a prefferred club junior suite in Building 26. Although we were meant to have an ocean view, we had a side view of the ocean which was ok, but not great. I think building 27 would have had a better view. That said, the room itself was lovely. We arrived to champagne and fruit in our room which was a nice touch. Check in process was quick and easy, very much needed after a long flight. We received a welcome pack with leaflets and brouchers from our travel agency before we arrived which was good.

Food - Mixed reviews about this. I espeically enjoyed the italian and seaside grill (lunch) and breakfast buffet was very enjoyable. We had trouble booking the tepanyaki table and this was dissapointing as we reserved it for our last night there, but unforutnately the concierge who we rang from our room phone did not make the booking and we were left to choose an alternative restuarant for dinner. I would advise booking this directly with the attendants outside the restaurant itself to ensure you get your reservation.

Staff - What can I say, each and every staff we came across were friendly and polite, from the cleaners to the beach waiters. Even during this busy festive period, we did not have to wait long for drinks to be served anywhere (beach, lobby, restaurants). I cannot fault any of the staff and they reaally did an amazing job ensuring everyone was well catered for.

Room - The suite was a good size, however some aspects were a bit dated and as a result, some of the doors and drawers were a bit loose. The mini bar was topped up daily. A few more snack options would have been nice. We ordered room service a few times, most of the time food came back through the "secret box". The food however was sometimes cold.
The tv channels were poor, they should have more options for non spanish speaking guests. The water was not very warm on some days.

Beach - best thing about this resort was the beautiful beach. We spent every day there.

Spa - again, a perk with going preffered was you were able to use the spa facilities, the hydrotherapy pool was very nice, and we used this daily. We also had a spa treatment and this was amazing!

All in all, this resort exceeded my expectations. Few slight blips - if you are staying preffered, you may be asked to attend a 90 min presentation, basically a sales pitch to sign you up for different resort memberships. We weren't forced into anything but if you only have a few days there, I wouldnt waste time in attending. Having said that, we received a 200 USD spa credit for attending the presentation which we used gladly.

Room Tip: Building 26 prefered suit has a side view of the ocean. I would choose top floors for best view. We...
3 Thank Traveller_999_12
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! We appreciate your comments and will definitely review the tips you wrote so we can continue improving our service.

I trust this was the first time of many more to come, please keep my contact information and do not hesitate to send me an email when you are ready to return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I could go on and on how good everything was - big thank you to Jordan, Ashma,Paulinea, Hugo oh and the Firminator and all the staff for just making our Christmas and Kathy`s birthday so wonderful.
For persons wanting to go to Secrets: Be aware that it is a bit off the beaten track and you will need a cab to get anywhere off the resort.
Not the hotels fault [ mankind's fault] the beach had quite a bit of detritus washed up, the guys cleaned the hotels section up but be warned if you go for a walk.
As the Hotel is in a mangrove please spray up in the evening and you wont have any problem
If the Hotel is busy you may have to wait a bit for a restaurant 20 /30 mins is the longest we had to wait, which was not a problem we just went for another cocktail.
For the English when ordering meat; go one up from what you usually order. as medium comes up quite pink - lovely meat though.

Cant wait till we go back

Room Tip: They are all good
2 Thank 295jake1963
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to submit your review! We also thank you for naming the people who made your stay more enjoyable. I will encouragee you to send me an email when you are ready to resturn and please remind me of this wonderful review!

Luray, Virginia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I've read various reviews of the resort both good and bad. I had a great time and would go to another AI resort. It should be noted the room rate was a discounted rate from hotels.com.

The staff was pleasant and attentive. My pal and I ate at different restaurants on the property -- Portifino, World Cafe, Oceana and Himitsu. My two favorite meals were at Oceana & Himitsu. World Cafe had buffets for breakfast and lunch which included a wide variety of foods which were done well. Portifino in my opinion was a bit lackluster. Room service was fine & has a limited menu.

While the pool is open the service and drink refills were good. A few drinks seemed watered down, but all in all not bad. I saw nothing on the wine list which I wanted to purchase and the house wine included in the price were fine.

Entertainment was alright and had a bit of something for everyone.

I had two services at the spa which were great and was able to use two of the coupons to offset the cost.

As for the timeshare pitch, we simply said no at check in and there was no other mention of it.

If I had paid a premium rate my thoughts may be less generous but definitely got our money's worth

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lopeva
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen SMB.

Our goal is not only meet your expectations but exceed them. I apologize if you did not receive the service you deserve.
I appreciate al the valuable comments you gave us, listening our guest is the only way to keep being the number 1 hotel at the Yucatan Península.

I appreciate also the oportunity you gave us for serving you, thank you for consider our staff as pleasant and attentive.

We will love to have the oportunity to serve you again in the future.

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a review on our wonderful stay at secrets Maroma beach. I will start by saying how pleased I was that we upgraded to the preferred club as the view from our room 2636 was magnificent. We had originally booked a standard room and I contacted the hotel direct and they sorted the upgrade out for us at a reasonable cost. Our room was with king-size bed which was so comfy and all the mod cons you find in most five star hotels. We would have to say that the staff makes this place a pleasure to be staying at, booking in at the preferred lounge was so easy and the luggage was in the room as soon as we arrived.
The pool area was always kept clean and the pools looked so inviting to cool down in, but the main attraction was the magnificent beach with soft sand and lovely coloured warm sea with waves breaking every few seconds. It felt like heaven !!!!
We are not normally beach people spending most the time on the poolside but not this holiday, it was the beach every day for us so we could enjoy its grand environment. We did do some hobie cat sailing which was very easy in the open waters apart from our last day which was a full on shore wind made it very difficult to get away from the shore. We played golf six times whilst away at three different courses and we both agreed that Mayakoba was the best by far and probably one of the best ever courses played on vacation. Beware of the complimentary golf at Grand Coral. This is not what it seems as after paying for a buggy and a premium to play in the morning it is nearly as cheap to play at other courses. Also the buggies that they charge an extortionate rate for are very basic, not reliable and break down after 3 holes!
The next subject that eats close to our hearts whilst on holiday is the food. We would score this 8/10 at this resort. The chefs must differ on certain nights and when they do the food can go from being perfect to just average. For example the French restaurant first visit, waiter Oswaldo perfect gentleman, great advice on the menu and the food served to perfection. Second visit was just not on it. Wives steak returned, under done and the second one was just the same and other things which were just not as good! We would both say that the seafood place was to die for and Juan our waiter was such knowledgeable on food. We booked a lobster meal with wine on Christmas day which turned out to be seven course extravaganza (Thanks to the excellent chef Sarah). We met Javier and Alberto whilst eating here and their attention to detail was second to none. Because of the service we received from these people we decided to eat there on our last night. They surprized us and set out our table by the pool, eating under the stars was so romantic. Breakfasts were always good apart from once at the a la carte being so slow and inconsistence to our previous visit.
The Rendezvous Bar had a great atmosphere. All the bar people were very quick to serve you but special mentions must go to Toribio,Sinhue, Vanessa and Natalia. The bar managers kept a tight ship and always made polite conversation. Angel in the preferred lounge bar was also very good.
Gonzalo was to be given some recognition from the preferred club area as he offered brilliant assistance at all times. Our only small complaint would be the mini bar lack of choice and restocking and the fact all drinks had to be ordered from room service and delivery would take approx. 30 mins to reach the secrets box in the room, other hotels of this standard grace you full size spirit bottles and wine of your choice. A part from this last LITTLE NIGGLE, holiday, hotel and most of the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: choose a high floor for a fabulous sea view we were in block 26 3rd floor A1
3 Thank Reggie38
Dear guest,

What a wonderful review about our property! I want to thank you for giving us a five star rating and for writing the names of those who made your stay extra special, that is what we aim for, 100% in customer satisfaction. I put myself at your service, please do not hesitate to send me an email when you are ready to return.

Midlothian, TX
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I decided to take a vacation over Christmas and our travel agent recommended this resort to us. This resort reflects the brochures and website exactly and we were very pleased! It was perfectly maintained and cleaned (and I'm very picky) and the service was stellar! The food was actually much better than we anticipated and had experienced at other all-inclusives and our favorites were Portofino, Bordeaux, Himitsu and El Patio. The buffets were huge with tons of choices. My husband likes to eat healthier at breakfast and he had no problems...he also enjoyed using the fitness center each day. We spent most of our time at the beach during the days and it was stunning and perfectly maintained. We also did a preferred club swim out room. We would definitely do preferred club again since it allowed us unlimited access to the spa for hydrotherapy (use of the sauna, steam room, massage pools, etc) and we loved that! Since our swim up room was situated in an area that was mostly shaded during the day, we didn't use it much since it was too cold. If we did a swim out room again, we would want to make sure it was on the sunny side. We were amazed considering how large the resort it, that it was still relaxing and serene and nothing ever felt packed. We will definitely be returning to this resort. Service far exceeded anything we have ever experienced!!!

1 Thank cdtatum
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review about our properrty! We appreciate your comments are we are happy to see you took advantage of everything the resort has to offer (taking advantage of the free hydrotherapy was a very good idea) Below find my contact information, I encourage you to write me if you have any questions, comments or concerns about our property.

Regards,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My stay at secrets was awesome. The resort itself was breath taking. This was our first time outside of Canada and i'm glad it was Secrets who have helped me get the travel bug because we will travel again and it will be secrets who i will choose to make my vacation complete. The service was exceptional,the beach beautiful ,the rooms wonderful, i cannot really describe the beauty of your resort.also at World Buffet Resturant ,a waiter,Andreas went above and beyond with his service.We looked forward to going there everyday and seeing and speaking to him.He told lots of wonderful things about Mexico so much we plan on coming back for a longer stay.Andreas gave us awesome service,he always had a smile and was very helpful in helping us decide on our meals.Again he was an AWESOME waiter. Over all your resort was THE BEST and I will return and anywhere I travel secrets will be my place to go.Thanks for an awesome vacation secrets keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms are excellent with semi private swimming pool.
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review about our property, you must know I already forwarded this review to Andres manager so he knows what an asset he has! I encourage you to send me an email next time you are ready to come back to Secrets Maroma Beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!