“Exceeds all expectations! Perfect vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kitchener Ontario
“Exceeds all expectations! Perfect vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I spent last week at Secrets Maroma and were totally blown away by the quality of the food, service, rooms, resort, beach! They get everything right at this resort!
We have been going to Mexico for 30 years and usually stay at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Secrets meets and in some ways, even exceeds the Royal! The food and beach are even better than we've come to expect.
No reservations for a la carte restaurants, no towel tracking (they are plentiful and available all the time), service is over the top - they overlook nothing.
The beach is pristine white sand, clear turquoise water, no rocks anywhere, and if seaweed washes ashore they were out there raking it up within the hour.
Cleanliness is excellent, the grounds are beautiful, FREE phone calls anywhere in US and Canada and Wi-Fi works throughout the resort and rooms.
If we had a minor complaint it was that the hot water isn't very hot (need to run shower and tub with only the hot water tap on).
We stayed in the preferred club section, oceanview - and it was worth the extra cost! Closest to the beach and pools and a short walk to the main building and restaurants.
Even with 3 bad weather days (extremely unusual in Mexico but it's weird weather everywhere this winter) we managed to enjoy ourselves and relax completely.

Although we are members at the Royal Playa del Carmen, we will be transferring vacation points and returning to Secrets Maroma!

PS We are VERY fussy travellers and this is the best review I've ever had the pleasure to write!

Loved that this is an adults only resort!

Room Tip: Preferred Club - oceanview is amazing. Building 26 or 25, 3rd or 4th floor is the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank boggler999
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear guest,

I'm glad you did write your review! It is very nice to see you've enjoyed our resort and everything it has to offer, best of all , that you will be returning to our little piece of paradise!

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,326)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We went to secrets maroma in dec for our honeymoon, we were married in May at there sister resort dreams PV and LOVED it! This is def the chain to use!!! We and a lot of our guests from our wedding said we would never not go to a dreams/secrets again - it was that good! The food at secrets maroma was fabulous. Wasn't better than dreams PV but still excellent! I def recommend Hitmisu! Go there for just a sit down meal it's better than the show and a whole different menu. (The show is fun too but the reg menu blew both my husband and I outta the water) I recommend the deep fried wontons with the sakebutter sauce... We loved it so much we went back 3 nights in a row for it. Also the seared beef was excellent! They have mini golf on the resort which is soo fun!! We did a tournament with a man they call Sasquatch. He was hilarious! All the staff are so nice - there was one man i forget his name but he was a bartender at the cabana by the mini golf and he was the best bartender on the whole trip. He was working alone on our last night (dec 13) and I wish I got his name to write how excellent he was! They have lots to do throughout the day from wine tasting to volleyball to kitchen tours! Which I wish I did the kitchen tour since I am such a foodie! But next time. The beach is really clean only on the resort. If you walk down the beach in front of other resorts there is a lot of garbage on the beach. Really shows you how hard people work at secrets maroma. The spa is excellent! Ask for victor he is so professional and accommodating. We had a swim out suite and it was perfect for late night swims when the pool is closed - we used it a lot! Just a note to everyone to make sure you tip! Een the grounds keepers. They work so hard to give us such a luxury vacation that we for sure wouldn't get back home and what's a few extra dollars to give to those who need it? We watched a really obnoxious group of middle aged people by the pool who asked for constant drinks and food and didn't even give a dollar.. Really upset me. Maybe I'm just really giving but I can only imagine busting my butt in that sweltering heat! We will be back!!!

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Wrightng
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review! We are aware the beach is not so clean as ours when people walk off our property. Since is not our property, there is no much we can do but to encourage people to use our beach area.

We look forward seeing you soon!

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My sister and I stayed 4 nights at Secrets in January. Loved this resort. I've been an avid fan and traveler to all inclusives and this one rates right up there. I'll break it down in categories for you.

Service/Staff: very welcoming and helpful. Whenever a request was made we were greeted with "my pleasure" it was so warm and inviting.

Room: very nice layout and decor. Great bathroom with nice shower and water pressure. Beautiful deck and view. Comfortable bed and pillows.

Restaurants: no reservations required, had a bit of a problem getting into the Japanese restaurant, but thoroughly enjoyed the Italian, French and seafood restaurants. Top of the line food and service.

Grounds: beautiful and clean. Didn't see the need for the swim out since the beach was so nice.

Beach: probably one of the nicest beaches in Mexico! Soft, white sand, georgeous turquoise water, plenty of lounges, great drink service. Awesome!

Entertainment: fun shows and great activity staff, manny and the boys were great.

Overall, it was a wonderful, relaxing resort. No kids, mostly couples, but my sister and I did not feel out of place at all! If you want wild party nights, this is not your resort. But if you want relaxation, great food, drinks and an amazing beach, this is a great choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Debra C
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and give us a five star rating! We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you back real soon!

Asbury Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week at Secrets Maroma Beach for our honeymoon and it was absolutely exquisite.

I was a little apprehensive being a gay couple and you hear many nightmares of people going places and just feeling out of place, but this was not the case at Secrets! They were all very LGBT friendly and treated us just like the next heterosexual couple.

The resort was absolutely amazing. Everything was clean and all of the staff was at your beckon call with no matter what we needed.

The food was great! We had the BEST time!! Every night they had shows and being on cruises in the past I know the shows can sometimes leave alot to be desired, but Secrets entertainment was great!! Their entertainment staff was fun, friendly, and always looking to make sure guests were having fun!

Our only complaint was that we had an "Ocean view" room in the preferred club rooms and were on the 2nd floor and really didn't have an ocean view. We did ask our concierge if we could move to the 3rd or 4th floor, but he didn't have anything for a couple days and at that point we were settled in already.

The staff was great! They always referred to us by names when they could.

Suggestion: Bring money for tips! I saw so many large parties of 8-10 people leave restaurants and not leave any tips. I understand it's all inclusive, but my wife and I left tips everywhere we went. We left tips for our cleaning staff everyday and for the waiters/waitresses at the pool. It is only right because I am sure they depend on tips.

Definitely visit the spa when you are there. The hydrotherapy circuit is amazing.

Himitsu is great! You don't need reservations for a regular table only for the hibatchi. We did a regular table and the food was great! Try the Mexican roll...mmmm

I want to go back next week as it was so awesome. I hope we can visit again soon!!

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view- definitely request 3rd or 4th floor in the preferred club.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bridgette B
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We apreciate the five star rating and look forward hosting you soon! please keep my contact information for when you are ready to return.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Excellent resort for honeymooners and couples wanting a private, adult escape. The resort was arranged so that each balcony was private and overlooked greenery or ocean. Rooms were modern, comfortable, all have a jacuzzi tub. The resort was designed to have lots of private nooks and crannies for two - hammocks, chairs, secluded hot tubs, swim out pools.

The resort had all the fixings of a five star resort - excellent a la carte restaurants, top shelf liquor, great pool side drink service, comfortable plush daybeds and loungers. The resort made service effortless. No reservations required for a la carte restaurants. No signing in and out of towels by the pool. Room service delivered in the "Secret Box". The concierge for each hotel block was very useful, as the representative could speak English well.

This resort had a lot of staff, and it showed. The grounds were immaculate and the nightly entertainment was better than any other "all inclusive resort" we have been to. The custom built, on-site theater was impressive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beach_Babe_033
Dear guest,

Thank you for the five star rating and taking the time to write this wonderful review for other travelers to see. Please keep my email and contact information for when you are ready to return.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Really good hotel. It was our first trip to Mexico and I really enjoyed it.
We got a room in the privilege blocks (closer to the beach, upgraded mini bar and access to a private lounge) Was only about €160 or so to upgrade if I can remember correctly I thought it was well worth it.
Its a great place to come and relax after a hectic schedule. We were down close to the beach on the second floor ocean view which was lovely.(some older people may consider a little bit of a walk to breakfast and the restaurants, I liked the stroll T B H)
The pool with the bar and most of the activities gets busy after mid morning so worth getting in early to get a sun lounger in a decent spot.
To be honest I was more than happy in the beach area the sand is white and surprisingly cool and the water is amazing.
You may have slightly slower service for drinks and food but you are only a short was from the beach bar on one side or another bar close to the pool on the other. Depends how lazy your feeling :).
The people in the resort are pleasant and the crew organizing the activities are well picked for energy(also they look to try and include everyone but don't push if you don't want to.)
The room itself is lovely nice and open, you get good feeling of space. Bed is really comfortable.
Only thing is the door on the toilet is kinda weird frosted glass door that you just push over so not a lot of privacy seen as a curtain in a large window is all that separates you from the bedroom.
The walls are a little bit thin if you know what I mean!
It's nice to have a balcony with a little plunge pool thing but we rarely used it due to the humidity.
I think the main thing that separates this hotel from others is the food and drink.
The fact you have several a la carte restaurants and a Japanese place to choose from is great. Only one to let me down slightly was the Italian place the food was OK (but Mexican chefs adapting to Italian has gotta be though. Be it I am comparing it against Italy and places in Dublin that have very high quality).
On the other hand the Mexican place was amazing!!!!! I was introduced to a tamarind margaritas from one of the waiters and didn't look back! The Mexican night was lovely and the night we had dinner on the beach was really special not to mention the food (surf and turf was gorgeous)
It's great that you can get spirits and beers you recognize also.
We organized a few excursions through the hotel and found the very reasonable. The best trip was one where you get to go to the sink holes the snorkelling in a cove. I'll review that place separately.
The spa is great and a nice change of scenery lovely oat cookies and this green drink also.

I read a few reviews also before I went about the road going from the highway to the hotel.
To be fair it was in bits and you have to crawl through it. It's basically a little road going through mangroves.
I you intend on leaving the hotel everyday(and why would you bother seen and its paradise) it might get a bit annoying but we left two days for excursions and on the whole it was of little consequence. I think people sometimes look for something to give out about! Especially when it's hard to find anything wrong with the actual hotel :). We actually seen people working on fixing the road anyway(didn't look like they were making much head way but neither would I be in that heat that was 7 months ago so chances are it's much better.

On the whole this is a beautiful destination lovely rooms, great free mini-bar, great restaurants and a amazing beach (one of the best ever been on). Not to mention great booze!! BTW I'm a tequila connoisseur now :)

Room Tip: I would ask for an ocean view on a high floor well worth it. The swim out rooms don't look like...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Claude R
RafaelCordova, Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen SMB to enjoy your vacations.

I am really glad that you experienced such a wonderful time with us, I appreciate all your very kind comments regarding the food, service, restaurantes, beach, etc.

I'll be sure to share this comments and opinions with all our staff.

We will wait for the opportunity to serve you again in this paradise.

Warm regards,

Rafael Cordova
Resident Manager
Orrville Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at secrets Maroma in November 2013.
What we liked:
The restaurants - we ate at all the restaurants during our week stay. The food at each of the restaurants lived up to expectations. We did not have a bad experience at any of them during our week long visit. Our only tip would be to make a reservation for the Hibachi restaurant early in your stay.
The rooms. - we found them to have everything we wanted during our stay.
The Pools - we did not have any issue getting pool chairs any day during our stay,
The entertainment - this was one of the best parts of the resort. The Entertainment team was around and working the resort the whole time of our stay.
The beach - the water was ok…we are used to the more action of the waves of the Cancun strip..but the beach area was nice.

Overall we had a great visit to Secrets Maroma.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ZipsnBucks
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review and for giving us a five star rating! I'm sure your comments will be very helpful to other travelers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,947 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,852 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!