“Outstanding in all ways”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stella and I had the most amazing trip at SMB , the staff is what made it so special. The moment we arrived till our departure everyone went the extra step to make us feel welcome.
Beach is first rate as is the beach bar service.
Each dinner was a treat , top notch and great wine list.
We look forward to making another trip down to SMB!
Best,
Tom and Stella

Room Tip: Corner ocean views are great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TNSA
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We appreciate your comments and love to see you've enjoyed the beach and the restaurants. Please keep my contact information and write us when you are ready to come home.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,932)

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, we absolutely loved it. We couldn't fault one single thing. Champagne and cold towel on arrival, easy check in with preferred club, amazing staff. Nothing at this resort was too much for anyone. Breakfast was brilliant, such an amazing choice of food and the freshly made omelettes were to die for. The grounds are fantastic and even nicer in reality. The beach was beautiful, and the water was amazing. The staff here are a credit to the resort and literally from the second you arrive at the pool there is no need to move, the staff being your drink and food orders to you. We loved this place so much we decided to return for out 1st Anniversary and unfortunately they wouldn't Accommodate us as we were availing of the 2 free nights we received as part of our honeymoon package.
I was extremely disappointed with this service, especially as we were staying for 9 nights in total so we were still paying for 7 of them. Not what I expected but we are returning to secrets but staying at the Silversands Resort in May this year. Hopefully this will live up to our expectation as Secrets Maroma definitely exceeded them.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarah k

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and wonderful comments, we are happy to hear you will be going to Secrets Silversands but we will love to have you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We did quite a bit of research prior to booking this trip. We wanted it to be extra special since it was our honeymoon. I must say we were thrilled that we chose Secrets Maroma. We were considering Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma Beach. Iberostar has 5 different resorts all connected which didn't really turn us on because we would wanted an adult only resort. Other than the Grand Paraiso they were all kid-friendly - not what we were looking for. We have 4 kids and needed some adult time! And the beach at Iberostar is not too impressive. The selling point for us for Secrets was that there was a little more action (music, dance lessons, pool volleyball, guacamole lessons, great nightly entertainment, and so much more!) It's not that we always want to participate in all the activities but it's nice to have some activities verses the "elevator music" type atmosphere.
We stepped up for the preferred club ocean front jr suite since it was our honeymoon. Our first room was on the outside edge of building 17, second floor. The room was beautiful, but unfortunately the neighboring resort was under construction and the noise was a bit distracting. We told our preferred club concierge, Estephania, about the noise. We asked to be moved to building 27. That night were received a call that our room in building 27 was ready for us. They sent someone to our room to assist with the room change. Very accommodating staff. The view from 17 was good, but I would recommend 27 for sure. My husband and I plan to go back for our first anniversary. We will probably stick with the preferred club because of the private check-in, appetizers, and personalized service. However, we would probably just do the ocean view and try to get in building 26 or 25 on the 3rd or 4th floor to get a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. Plus the preferred club lounge is attached to building 25 which is convenient. I need to send a shout out to our favorite bartender, Andre, in the preferred club.
Octavia from security was such a sweetheart. He went out of his way to help us find our book, magazine, and sunscreen we left on a poolside chair.
The beach is absolutely gorgeous. We rented the private beach cabanas for 2 days. I highly recommend at least one day at the cabanas. It cost $50. You receive a private cabana with 2 chairs from 9:00-5:00. You have a beach concierge that fetches drinks all day as well as serve lunch to your cabana. Pampering beyond your imagination. Oswaldo, our beach server was absolutely wonderful. Jorge was our beach and pool concierge. He always looked out for us. Thank you Jorge!
The pools were nicely laid out with plenty of seating. Pool servers made sure your drink was never empty.
We ate at all the restaurants. Oceana and World Cafe were our favorites for breakfast. We usually ate at the cabanas or the Seaside Grille for lunch. Italian, French, Mexican, Hibachi restaurants were all fantastic. I need to give a shout out to our waiters: Oswaldo at the French and William at the Italian.
As part of our honeymoon package we received a free private romantic dinner on the beach. Alberto and Elder made us feel extra special. During most of the dinners we drank the Mexican cabernet which was surprising good! Another perk with the honeymoon package was side by side 50 minute massages. They did a wonderful job. We also received a bottle of champagne in the room which was a nice touch. We skipped the breakfast in bed that came with our package.
The entertainment staff was absolutely fantastic! Our favorites were Miguel (Mexican chocolate), Jordan, William (Big Willy), Sasquatch, and my salsa teacher (sorry I can't remember her name). They were all so funny and remembered us by first name anytime we walked by them.
The best nightly shows were: #1 Cirque (must see!) #2 Rock show and #3 Fire Show. They are all very talented performers.
The service we received by ALL of the staff was exceptional and by far the best we have received from the 7 all-inclusive resorts we have visited. We definitely will return. Love you guys!

Room Tip: If you want preferred club I recommend ocean view building 26 or 25 on the 3rd or 4th floor. We we...
10  Thank DoubleJ_13

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your honeymoon , I'm happy that you've enjoyed the perks that come with the complimentary honeymoon package and that we were able to find another room for you. Since you got free nights, I guess we will be seeing you for your first anniversary? Please send me an email when you are ready to book.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and Have been to many 5 star resorts most of them being non- all inclusive. You would never know that this was an all inclusive resort with the 5 star treatment that we and other guests received. We were on our Honeymoon & also received the complimentary honeymoon package with some nice touches. I highly recommend the preferred club from exclusive check-in to the exclusive lounge with excellent appetizers as well as premium cocktails that you can also get all over the resort. The preferred club also includes the premium room locations toward the front of the resort. I recommend buildings 25,26 & 27 (27 is the best for a premium over the the preferred club for ocean front rooms). These are on the preferred club lounge side located in building 25 . However the resort is not that large buildings 16 &17 (17 being ocean front) are very good also. That being said if you are trying to save some money any room in the resort will be nice most with tropical resort views and even if you don't opt for preferred you will receive VIP treatment throughout the resort. The beachside cabanas are not included but for $50 for a 9 to 5 rental are well worth reserving for at Least a couple days during your stay. The service at the cabanas goes from 5 to 6 stars the beach staff serving drinks food or whatever you need while never letting your drink go below half. The staff is first and foremost concerned with your stay being exceptional. They are ready to accommodate at the drop of a hat while being very fun loving and having great sense of humors. Jorge the beach & pool concierge was excellent on his game every step of the way as well as Oswaldo. Estefania the preferred club concierge was top notch helping with every request. While there she facilitated a room move the 2nd night because of the neighboring resort construction that is now completed. Miguel (the Mexican chocolate) was awesome on entertainment . Octavia in security helped us find are lost books and sunscreen the we left at the pool while partying all day he found it and brought it to our room it was definitely our fault. Andres in the preferred club lounge was awesome , Jordan was fun. The food was excellent . The romantic dinner was worth doing Eder & Alberto made it a great night. William at the Italian place and Oswaldo at the French place were very good. Just book it don't hesitate . We guarantee you will love it.

Room Tip: Preferred club buildings 25,26,27 first choice or 16&17
3  Thank Eric C

Dear guest,

I absolutely loved your review! I'm happy to see the resort exceeded your spectations, thank you for naming the ones who provided great service. It is conforting to hear we've found your belongnings.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at SM the week of Jan 13, 2014 to celebrate my 50th birthday. It was phenomonal in every way, right from the start. Check in at your own private checkin desk, greeted warmly by all staff, handed a glass of champagne and warm towel. Room was in building 15 and was beautiful. Junior suite - canopy king size bed (decorated with balloons for my birthday and a yummy chocolate dessert waiting for us) and sitting area and desk. Bathroom consisted of double sinks, large shower and private washroom closet and large whirlpool bath. The wardrobe in the room was large enough that we both had areas to hang our clothes etc. The grounds were immaculate and the beach and water was so lovely. Everything was top notch in our books (food, drinks, service, etc.) and I could go on and on, but I would like to mention a few people/staff that were an addition to this amazing resort: Armando in the front lobby, Carla at the world cafe, Hugo at the italian restaurant, Fabiola our building conceirge was simply the best...and would do and did everything to assist us . The entertainment staff were really great in every way: Paulina always with a bright beautiful smile, Jordan and Ferminator with their humour energy and Sasquatch (Fernando) - who went out of his way to converse and made a point of getting to know us. All them remembered our names and made us feel special . We are hoping to return next year with a few other couples/friends so they too can experience the ultimate greatness of this resort. We were also lucky to be there during the Miss Universe photo shoot..so was a bonus on top of that!

4  Thank Lynda502014

Dear guest,

You were very lucky to be here with Miss Universe! I'm sure you will remeber this birthday forever. I'm happy you named the ones who provided great service.

We look forward seeing you back home!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I spent last week at Secrets Maroma and were totally blown away by the quality of the food, service, rooms, resort, beach! They get everything right at this resort!
We have been going to Mexico for 30 years and usually stay at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Secrets meets and in some ways, even exceeds the Royal! The food and beach are even better than we've come to expect.
No reservations for a la carte restaurants, no towel tracking (they are plentiful and available all the time), service is over the top - they overlook nothing.
The beach is pristine white sand, clear turquoise water, no rocks anywhere, and if seaweed washes ashore they were out there raking it up within the hour.
Cleanliness is excellent, the grounds are beautiful, FREE phone calls anywhere in US and Canada and Wi-Fi works throughout the resort and rooms.
If we had a minor complaint it was that the hot water isn't very hot (need to run shower and tub with only the hot water tap on).
We stayed in the preferred club section, oceanview - and it was worth the extra cost! Closest to the beach and pools and a short walk to the main building and restaurants.
Even with 3 bad weather days (extremely unusual in Mexico but it's weird weather everywhere this winter) we managed to enjoy ourselves and relax completely.

Although we are members at the Royal Playa del Carmen, we will be transferring vacation points and returning to Secrets Maroma!

PS We are VERY fussy travellers and this is the best review I've ever had the pleasure to write!

Loved that this is an adults only resort!

Room Tip: Preferred Club - oceanview is amazing. Building 26 or 25, 3rd or 4th floor is the best.
6  Thank boggler999

Dear guest,

I'm glad you did write your review! It is very nice to see you've enjoyed our resort and everything it has to offer, best of all , that you will be returning to our little piece of paradise!

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We went to secrets maroma in dec for our honeymoon, we were married in May at there sister resort dreams PV and LOVED it! This is def the chain to use!!! We and a lot of our guests from our wedding said we would never not go to a dreams/secrets again - it was that good! The food at secrets maroma was fabulous. Wasn't better than dreams PV but still excellent! I def recommend Hitmisu! Go there for just a sit down meal it's better than the show and a whole different menu. (The show is fun too but the reg menu blew both my husband and I outta the water) I recommend the deep fried wontons with the sakebutter sauce... We loved it so much we went back 3 nights in a row for it. Also the seared beef was excellent! They have mini golf on the resort which is soo fun!! We did a tournament with a man they call Sasquatch. He was hilarious! All the staff are so nice - there was one man i forget his name but he was a bartender at the cabana by the mini golf and he was the best bartender on the whole trip. He was working alone on our last night (dec 13) and I wish I got his name to write how excellent he was! They have lots to do throughout the day from wine tasting to volleyball to kitchen tours! Which I wish I did the kitchen tour since I am such a foodie! But next time. The beach is really clean only on the resort. If you walk down the beach in front of other resorts there is a lot of garbage on the beach. Really shows you how hard people work at secrets maroma. The spa is excellent! Ask for victor he is so professional and accommodating. We had a swim out suite and it was perfect for late night swims when the pool is closed - we used it a lot! Just a note to everyone to make sure you tip! Een the grounds keepers. They work so hard to give us such a luxury vacation that we for sure wouldn't get back home and what's a few extra dollars to give to those who need it? We watched a really obnoxious group of middle aged people by the pool who asked for constant drinks and food and didn't even give a dollar.. Really upset me. Maybe I'm just really giving but I can only imagine busting my butt in that sweltering heat! We will be back!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank Wrightng
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review! We are aware the beach is not so clean as ours when people walk off our property. Since is not our property, there is no much we can do but to encourage people to use our beach area.

We look forward seeing you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#12 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!