“Simply the best honeymoon ever!!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Simply the best honeymoon ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Firstly can i say a big thank you to our local thomas cook agent who recommended this resort to my husband. it was a perfect honeymoon resort. I cant believe there are any negative reviews for this hotel??? Yes they have corporate events and groups at the hotel but even so it felt empty most of our stay and it was apparently at full capacity? Yes there is a timeshare meeting you can attend but they don't pressure sell it and actually they give you money off vouchers for use at the spa and resort before you even attend any meeting, you spend maybe 5 minutes in the lobby after check in when they give you vouchers and you politely take them then arrange to go to the meeting or not. In our case we didn't.

On arrival we met with a bellboy who took our bags and greeted us with welcome home, which is a lovely tag line i must say. Then taken into reception for a chilled glass of bubbly and a cold towel, lush!!!

We used the honeymoon registry from the uk and all our wedding gift money was ready to use on the room, the only thing i have to warn you of is the cash machine in the hotel will only dispense dollars and when you leave the hotel ask you to pay in pesos. The exchange rate the hotel offer is awful so if your paying in cash take pesos or go into playa del carmen where there are plenty of bureau de change and offer better rates or pay by card. Also take enough pesos for departure tax when your leaving the airport we were advised it was about £15 per person at thomas cook it was more like £40 per person so we only had enough pesos for one of us you can pay by card but they charge you to do so!! Also they can just change the amount at any time so be prepared only negative of the holiday and nothing to do with this hotel.

We got up most mornings early and the resort was like a ghost town, it wasn't until about 10-11am that we usually saw more than a couple of people.

The beach is beautiful, very clean and loads of places to sit and relax, and the beach bar is great fun but don't sit there all day because you will never be without a cocktail and will have to stagger back to your rooms!!

The room was amazing, we tried to upgrade to a honeymoon suite but none were available so we stayed with our booked room and junior partial sea view suite. Room 1528, the view was stunning and the room was so luxurious perfect for honeymooners. We had a daily maid service and turn down but no once were we disturbed.

The restaurants are great so much choice, although the tepenyaki and ocean grill were our favourites. We also had room service that was great although it did take a while to arrive at times.

The staff above all are what makes this hotel they go above and beyond to make your stay perfect. I cant remember all the names but i will mention the few that we got really fab service from Jorge beach concierge, Fabiola our room concierge, Edgar at the beach bar had a great smile all day. Daniel at the beach bar. All the staff at the beach bar whose names i have forgotten, the guitar and singer on the beach for the stargazing night (they sang our first dance song from our wedding night) fab dancing on the beach under the stars. Sasquatch entertainer always trying to get us to join in the pool volleyball but to no joy! The Thomas Cook rep Stephanie thank you so much, not only did you give us fantastic advise about swimming with dolphins you were also very helpful when my husband was poorly and we had to miss a planned trip. The concierge who works at the dinner on the beach cant remember his name but he was really great my husband was poorly during our meal so he brought it up to our room for us, unfortunately we didnt eat it as we were both ill by then. He then in the morning called our room to see how we were feeling and to offer us dinner in the wine cellar as we hadn't had the full dining experience on the beach we also got the meal refunded from our room account, which was fantastic the sommilier in there was great and we had some amazing mexican wine a must!!

The spa is very good value and the massages we had were very relaxing.

The wildlife is varied if you like birds there are lots to see and plenty more.

Im very much looking forward to re-booking for next year but for two weeks :)

I could go on...

Thankyou very much all at secrets maroma for the best honeymoon ever!!

Kind regards, Mr & Mrs Richards

7 Thank Karamusic
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this review and we are so glad you've decided to take your travel agent's advise. In the future, I will suggest you upgrade before arrival since our resort gets booked very quicly. If there is anything we can do for you, please let me know.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,375)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vautebis France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I travelled to this resort on the 11th Feb2014 for 14 nights, the staff are brilliant Jorge at the pool side always on hand to help the entertainment team fantastic , always ensuring that you were not left out of the fun if you wanted it, the evening shows !! what brilliant productions, our thanks to Paulina, Fernando, Jordan, Thomas, and too many super staff to name well done you made it a great holiday.
Colin and Linda

Room Tip: Upgraded preferred club rooms are not that different to standard
3 Thank Colin V
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this review and for naming the ones who provided exceptional service. We look forward having you back soon!

Alden, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon. It was our first time traveling to Mexico. I like to do a lot of research and spent a good amount of time reading through reviews and looking at pictures of other resorts as well as Secrets Maroma. We decided to spend the little extra money and come here. There was no doubt we made the right choice!

Arrival:
As soon as we stepped outside our shuttle van we were greeted by friendly service. We arrived a few hours before our check in time but the front desk was still able to get all our information and sent us to the lunch buffet to eat while we waited for our room to be ready. It was ready almost immediately.

The Beach:
The beach was the main reason we chose SMB and we were not disappointed! The sand was beautiful white, very soft and never got hot. The resort’s beach line was the cleanest around with very little seaweed as they had crews sweeping it a few times a day, but rarely when the beach was busy so you hardly saw them. As you walked down the beach into other resort areas, more and more seaweed accumulated. There were no rocks and the water was perfectly clear. Relaxing on the beach was one of our favorite activities.

The Service:
I had read a lot of reviews about the service and couldn't agree more that it was excellent. Whenever we would thank them for getting us a drink or food etc they would reply with "It’s my pleasure." They truly loved their job and helping the guests. Even if you would just briefly talk to a staff member, they would remember your name the rest of the week and check to see how your stay was going. It made for a much more personal experience. Everyone from the entertainment team was fun and encouraged activities but would not force it on you. You could do a lot or nothing at all. We also loved everyone's sense of humor.

Food:
We didn't try the French restaurant, the seafood restaurant or Himitsu but did eat everywhere else. It was nice not having to worry about getting a reservation during the evening as they don't do reservations for any of the restaurants except for Himitsu. They informed us at check in that they were most busy from 7:30 to 8:30. We typically had to wait a half hour to 45 min to get into a restaurant but we had no problem with that at all. There were bars and entertainment in the lobby to pass time quickly. The food was excellent. I had the best carbonara spaghetti and steaks I've ever had. The buffets offered a wide range of delicious food as well. The breakfast buffet every morning was amazing. One day we ordered room service not knowing what to expect and the food was the same quality as the restaurants.

Rooms:
We started our trip in building 24 which is in the middle of the resort. It was a perfect location as it was only a couple minutes away from everything in the resort. We were on the 2nd floor. I would've rather have been on the first floor to have a swim out pool or above the 2nd for a better view but we still loved our room. The bed was King sized and very comfortable. Nightly turndown service was a nice feature. The rooms have a nice sized bathroom and shower. The stocked fridge was also a nice feature that I used a lot and it was restocked daily. Our last 2 nights they upgraded us to an ocean view room for free. It was in building 26, the 2nd building in from the beach. We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view of the ocean as well as the resort. We didn’t upgrade to Preferred Club, it really isn’t necessary for the few additional amenities. The rooms were very clean, as was the rest of the resort. Crews spent a lot of time making sure everything looks nice and is well maintained.

Entertainment:
I didn't hear much about the entertainment here and never thought I would write a review about it, but it was actually quite good! They have a band that comes about every other night and plays hit songs, while performers swing around, play with fire, do circus like stunts etc. One night was a Beatles tribute night, another was a rock concert. Great band and performers. The lobby also had a piano player or guitar and singer most nights and was nice to listen to while at the bar.

I recommend this place to any couples looking for a fun, relaxing, and romantic getaway. It was well worth the little extra cost to come to this resort versus a few other I had in mind. We will definitely come back to this resort in the future.

6 Thank Derek P
Dear guest,

It is so nice to see you had such a wonderful time! I'm sure this review will be very helpful to other travelers. We look forward seeing you back home soon.

Eldridge, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you want service - this is top notch. One guy told me "This is so over the top with service I feel like a celebrity" Yup, that about says it all.

If you want beauty - this is like the Disney World of Resorts. The cleanliness is unbelievable - not one spot on a fork and there is no trash anywhere to be found. They clean up the seaweed off the beach every morning and even comb the sand! As soon as you put your glass down someone comes by to take it with a "It's my pleasure.”

If you want exquisite restaurants - they make you feel like royalty. They are 5 star all the way - even at breakfast (where Margarette will make your specialized omelet). They put the napkin in your lap after they pull out your chair. The Japanese Restaurant was an amazing dinner show, with even better food. The Mexican, Italian, Steak, Seafood, World Café, Barefoot Grill and French Restaurants are a real treat, something new to try and beautiful atmosphere with each.

If you want something to do – we decided to kayak, sail, bungee jump, mini golf, swim, body sculpting and water aerobics, dance lessons, tequila tasting, archery, sand volleyball (it was competitive and good!), ping pong and darts, beach soccer and…a few others. It was relaxing fun for me and my husband - and a good way to get up off the lounger after hours of napping in the 85-87 degree perfect weather. By the pool or on the beach, the towel service was always close and loungers were super comfortable.

If you want to be entertained – the Entertainment staff was absolutely delightfully. These guys (Fermin, Mike, Jordan, Tomas, Paulina, Fernando, Alberto) made you feel like you had an instant fun and caring friend at the resort, always there and ready to have fun and make you laugh. They put on and host great shows in the evening – very very talented band! They even show recent movies if you want to just veg in the comfortable open theater. And just watching water aerobics was equally as entertaining.

If you want comfortable rooms – the beds were one of the most comfortable I’ve ever stayed in. The pillows and comforter were down/feathers. Staff comes to your room while you are at dinner and pull down the covers, add chocolates and a daily schedule of the next day on your pillow. They even set out your robe and slippers. The rooms are decorated really nice with a rich comfy feel.

If you want overall awesomeness – come to Maroma Beach with the “welcome home” you will be greeted with, fresh cookies and fruit, a scented towel, fresh cut flowers, bell boys and your own building concierge that knows your name. I wasn't sure if I'd like the larger resort, but they made it fell special and secret because of the personal service. Free calls home with internet and drinks and room service 24/7 – what’s not to like about this top notch all inclusive resort. We will for sure be back for a 4th time very soon!

2 Thank Sarah H
Dear guest,

I was amazed by your review and in fact , I am sharing it with other travelers, we are so happy we made you feel this way, please keep my contact information and let me know when you are ready to return.

bristol, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Now into the last few days of our 3 week stay here...the beach is fabulous, our top floor room is perfect with a beautiful sea view but what really makes this resort so special is the staff.They all give110% to make your stay here special and although I can't name everyone I would like to say a special thank you to Roger (our room concierge), Jorge and Raphael (pool concierges), Edgar, Karla, Ariadna and Eduardo (World Cafe restaurant), Ceci (pool waitress) and of course the entertainment team...Paulina, Andrea, Tomas, Jordan, Manny and Fermin. Apologies for any mis-spelling of names and anyone I have forgotten...one too many tequila's last night perhaps.

2 Thank lildan
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the lovely words, I am very happy our staff made you feel so good. We look forward serving you soon again!

montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I have been many many times to Secrets Maroma in the last 5 years ( approx12) , and all they seem to do is get better and better !!!! They keep up with maintaining their property to the best AND they keep adding , changing things that work less for the better :)) They well deserve their 5 diamonds .... A must for any professional looking for the best and most upscale all inclusive possible.! Enjoy chin chin !

Room Tip: 4th floor beautiful view and sound of ocean !! Also if you can purchase preferred club your build...
3 Thank charlie11montreal
Dear guest,

This is truly your second home, what more can we say? Except, THANK YOU!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our stay at Secrets Maroma was very enjoyable. The weather was perfect. The service outstanding. We really enjoyed the friendliness of Sasquatch. He was a great kayak guide. We saw him at a lot of the venues, promoting the activities. We enjoyed the jungle bike tour.
Oscar is a wonderful tennis pro. The tennis clinics were very well done. Sarah the water aerobics instructor was good! We had a little trouble on the snorkeling trip, got scratched up on a shallow reef. The guide just needs to stay by us a little closer. I loved the enthusiasm of the entertainment staff. They are great at reminding everyone of the events going on. They really want you to participate-- if you want to!
Our concierge in building 24 first floor named Yinana (maybe bad spelling) was excellent. She is very patient, caring, and informative. All the restaurants and buffet were excellent. We had never stayed at all-inclusive before, so we loved trying the food/drinks. The spa is so lovely, and relaxing. I enjoyed a facial. The bar service on the beach was very good. Our maid service was excellent. Room service on the morning of our departure was perfect. One negative would be the tile in the rooms is very very slippery when wet. Thank you Secrets!

Room Tip: We liked the swim out suite on the first floor. Especially if you are in a group of rooms, you can...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank cjland5
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I will make sure to thank on your behalf the people you mentioned in your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,088 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,996 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!