“Best trip we have ever been on! Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!!!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is the first and probably only review I will ever write about a resort, but like another reviewer wrote, "it's just that good!!!"
My husband, and I stayed at Secrets Maroma February 21-28, 2014 for our honeymoon, and let me tell you this is the best vacation we have ever been on! The service at this resort, is hands down the best service we have ever experienced in the past 6 years of travelling. We booked with the preferred club and thoroughly enjoyed all the extra amenities that came with it (would recommend it to anyone, plus you get better views of the ocean from your room). My husband and I are also very picky eaters, and found the food at this resort to very good. The most surprising of all was how good their buffet was at the World Cafe. Everyone needs to eat here! The resort itself set off a very romantic tone, and we were honestly treated like royalty everyday. The resort did an amazing job of making us feel very special on our honeymoon. I have never felt so welcomed and care for in my entire life. I really want to mention that the entertainment crew here is AMAZING! The shows are fantastic, and the team is honestly the nicest group of people I have ever talked too. In fact, all the staff at this resort were amazing.....so friendly, and happy, and just genuinely nice to talk to. One last thing I have to mention is the beach...one word......UNREAL!!!! The sand is like flour so soft and so white. And we are huge beach people and can be really picky, so that's saying a lot. We honestly felt this beach compared to the beaches in Negril and Punta Cana.
Overall, this was the best honeymoon we could have asked for and we are recommending it to all of our friends. We will definitely be returning to this hotel and will be booking with the Secrets chain from now on. Thanks Secretes Maroma for making our honeymoon the best it could be!

Room Tip: Book with the preferred club if you actually want a good ocean view/ocean front room. Well worth th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ashley L
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear guest,

I am so happy to see this was your first review and to see it was amaizing! We hope you will come back to us on your first anniversary trip.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,736)

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Our request to our travel agent was: find us a quality hotel with no children, as we didn't want the screaming and yelling and divebombing into the pool that one finds with rowdy children. So they recommended Secrets Maroma beach. But at least children go to sleep - other guests don't. I'd echo an earlier reviewer ... this hotel has everything for a luxurious couples stay. Beautiful rooms, excellent restaurants, landscaped grounds, fantastic beach, magnificent spa .... really, I couldn't fault anything about the physical structure of the hotel nor the attentive staff.
But our stay was ruined by noisy groups who take over everywhere - yelling from the fourth floor room to someone over the other side of the pool, American cheerleader-style 'whoop-whoop-whoop' in an intimate restaurant, pool competitions that take over the pool so you have to move. I spoke to the manager and he said there were 'incentive groups' staying, which is totally at odds with the tranquil couples image that the hotel tries hard to portray. Several staff said the number one complaint from guests is noise from rowdy groups. So we couldn't find anywhere peaceful near the several pools, were driven out of one restaurant by some obviously drunk 20-somethings whooping whenever they received a plate of food, or a drink. Surely a dress code in a restaurant should also mean a behaviour code?
Like I said, everything about the hotel should be right .... it has all the right ingredients to make it one of the most luxurious hotels in the area. But targeting incentive groups is completely at odds with the peaceful and elegant surroundings. Sadly, we shan't come again. My ears are still ringing.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the best view, also rooms number 14xx, 15xx, 16xx and 24xx, 25xx, 26xx are c...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Sandy H
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear guest,

We are truly sorry the thing you did not like about your vacation was the presense of other guests. We would love to have you back and next time you are in our resort, speak to the ones who are making you feel unconfortable.

I hope you give us another chance, since it seems you did like the resort.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I'll make this short and sweet. I like to think I have done a decent amount of vacationing and this place hands down topped them all. We stayed the week of October 21-28 and the weather was pretty bad(It rained 5 days straight). With that being said this place was still perfect. We were part of the preferred club and enjoyed all the extra little amenities. The entire facility was spotless. The absolute best food of any vacation we've been on. My family is Italian and we eat pretty good, if you would have told me that I would eat some of these best cooked Italian cuisine that I have ever had in Mexico I would have called you a liar. The Hibachi and French restaurant were also very good. I couldn't really complain about any meal that we had. The spa was amazing also. If you are a couple looking for an amazing honeymoon destination or a getaway in Mexico and an all-inclusive I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I was dead set on having a room on one of the top floors for the view and the soaking tub, although...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jimmy R

Dear guest,

We are so proud to be the first property on wich you've decided to write a review! And we thank you so much for that. We truly hope you come back very soon to spend a wonderful vacation here again.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were there for a week in March, 2014 , for my son,s wedding. It was heavenly. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff. Their attention regarding the guests comfort was out standing. The location was gorgeous and the grounds plus resort were very clean. Food was excellent. The bridal couple were very pleased with the arrangements the wedding coordinator arranged. I agree wholeheartedly. It was a lovely wedding.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for these wonderful words, we love happy guests! Please let us know when you are ready to return home.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel, the first being last year in February which we enjoyed very much except for our Unlimited Vacations experience. I would have given the hotel a 5 star at that time but it disappointed us in many ways this time around.

First the pros:
- the rooms are very comfortable and clean
- the food and drinks are excellent, with a good variety so you don't become bored
- the beach is beautiful but crowded
- the staff work extremely hard and are always saying hello, there is always someone cleaning the public spaces, bathrooms
- the entertainment staff or extremely fun and friendly, especially Cesar and Jordan.
- the shows are a lot of fun as were the musicians around the hotel as well as the disco

Now the cons:

-instead of catering to couples, the hotel now has given precedence to corporate groups and large wedding groups who were completely obnoxious during their stay, yelling constantly during the day and taking up large portions of the restaurants at night. The hotel is no longer a quiet couples friendly resort, there is no sense of peace or romance. Even on the beach, away from the noise of the pool, large groups would congregate and scream at each other across 20 loungers. Many of the days there were no loungers to be found due to large groups holding seats. The hotel should try to create a quiet zone on the beach on one side for those who don't want to hear screaming.

- the fees at their spa are extremely high, we have gone to spas at Ritz-Carletons that are far cheaper

- as soon as you check in, the reception staff hands you directly over to someone dressed in the hotel uniform but who is in fact an Unlimited Vacations staff member who is there to sell you memberships in there club. When I asked if this was a timeshare presentation which I was not interested in, they assured me it wasn't. Technically its not, but what they are selling you is a discount on future stays at AM Resort hotels. The front desk staff tells you this person will give you more information about the hotel. I have never been to a hotel where their reception staff hands you over directly to a sales person. Last year since we were interested in learning more about the Zoetry properties and others from AM resorts we agreed to meet for a 45 minute breakfast. This turned into a 5 hour hard sales pitch. We were shown all sorts of numbers that talked of the savings we would receive. We decided to pay a certain amount for this membership and in return we would get a "free" week at a Secrets property, hence our current trip. The only thing is, when I tried to book the week I wanted, nothing was available until a month later. Also, with all the additional administration costs, yearly membership fees, and costs of flights, we have now paid almost double the cost of our trip last year. We were not offered any upgrades due to "overbooking" at the hotel and were told by reception that the hotel has nothing to do with Unlimited Vacations, who's parent company, AM Resorts, actually does own the resort. Then the same receptionist handed us directly over once again to an Unlimited Vacation person! Of course, no managers of that company were available that day because it was 3p.m. After complaining to an Unlimited Vacation club manager at the end of our stay about the high cost, I was told that they offer a 25% discount of Expedia's prices for the hotel room. The only thing is, I can get the same discounted price when I buy a package of hotel and flights from Expedia. I priced it out and for the same week in March, I would pay only $100 more for the flights than I would get in the Unlimited Vacation "deal" for the room alone. At what point in the future will I be getting a "deal"? If we were receiving a better suite, or a better location in the preferred area, or any extra upgrades whatsoever, I would not feel so cheated. We ended up with a lower grade room than last year for almost double the price! Some might say buyer beware but the reception at Secrets puts its guests directly into the hands of this company so should be held accountable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Curlygirly971

Dear guest,

We are sorry to see we did not fulfill your expectations this time. As far as the Unlimited Vacation Club, allow me to inform they are a separate company that sell memberships for discounts to visit AMResorts properties. I would love to elaborate more on and help you as much as I can. Please send me an email whenever you are ready. We would love to have you back.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Everything at this resort is perfect. We have been to other all inclusive hotels in the Caribbean, but this is by far the best. The whole hotel is spotless, rooms, lobby, bars, beach, pools, gardens, mini golf course. The cleaning staff work really hard. The service is amazing, everything is the staffs "pleasure". There is someone always willing to help or bring you a drink!

The food on offer caters for all tastes from a grill on the beach and by the pool, to a buffet lunch in the main restaurant. You can even order food on the beach! I would recommend the buffet restaurant for lunch, one it is a break from the heat, and the selection is huge, with a different selection from day to day so there is no chance you will get bored of the food on offer. There is everything on offer salads, sushi, freshly grilled fish and chips/fries. All with a waiter service of course. Oh and they have a special cocktail of the day as well which is different to the cocktail of the day from the bars.

The selection of places to eat in the evening is really good. We really liked the Italian and French, but a little disappointed with the Mexican. The seafood and steak places are a little more relaxed but just as tasty, the steaks are enormous! The most we waited for food was about 40 minutes, but there are loads of places to sit with a drink to enjoy the evening while waiting with your buzzer to go off. There was a piano player and singer a couple of times we were there who were very good. Which brings me nicely onto the entertainment team. This was mostly around the pool during the day. We did not get involved as we enjoyed the beach which was a quieter, but neither involved a 7am fight for sun beds. On the beach beds were free all day when we were there. Back to entrainment, there were loads of activities, from archery to crazy golf tournament during the day, and in the evening there was a live show every night. Normally these can be pretty poor in resorts, but there were very good, we enjoyed the rock, fire and acrobat shows.

We tipped as much as we could while there, all the staff work so hard for next to nothing and are always on hand to help, they deserve - it be generous, what is a couple of dollars or peso to you, I bet it means more to them!

We went for a relaxing holiday to chill out and forget about normal life. That certainly happened and didn't want to leave and hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James0889

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this review! We love getting five star ratings and find out guests are satisfied. Please make sure you write us when you are ready to come back.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Between this resort and Excellence Playa Mujeres, you cant go wrong in the Riviera Maya. More on that later.

Once again, great stay. Clean spacious rooms. Excellent food (the best of any all-inclusive in the Riviera Maya). We have stay at 14 different AI in 15 years. Breakfast cant be any better. Nothing missing from the menu. Lunch typically was snacking around the pool, eating at the grill or at the poolside restaurant. Dinners are very good. Italian, Asian and French are all top notch. Mexican and seafood restaurant a step below depending on what you order.

Rooms are great and clean, like the majority of mexico. Services and staff are excellent like the majority of our visits to the area.

Drinks are top notch with plenty of top shelf liquors (Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, Johnny Walker, 1800 tequila, Don Julio etc.). They will make anything you can dream up. Coffee shop is good.

Pools are very nice and clean and plenty of places to sit. Beach is clearly one of the best from Cancun down to Tulum. We have been to many AI and this beach is top notch. White sand up to your shoulders, hardly any sea grass and not a rock to step on. Good luck finding another beach at an AI that is better. If there is, I'll find it as we are beach people.

One tip, rent the beach cabanas. $50 per day from 9-5. You get a bed, "butler" service, water, drinks and food orders taken. You get a couple beach chairs and they will move sunbathers from your view of the ocean (if they should choose to drag their chairs 50 yards to the cabana are and plop them down in front of you like they don't have a clue what they are doing).

This is what you need to know: This is a resort for RELAXATION. NOT PARTYING. If you want evening entertainment, meeting couples at the bar, having a huge gathering area to stay up and get hammered, you will not be happy. There are resorts for this. Secrets is laid out to be a bit more quiet at night and have a nice dinner and relax on a patio. Yes they have some shows but the bars are not designed to entertain 100 people from the resort so people can mingle. Stay at a Palace resort and do shots with all the convention gatherers.

Now, Secrets Maroma compared to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Food is a solid A rating at Secrets. B+ at Excellence. Bars and gathering areas at Excellence A, Secrets B-. Beach at Secrets A+ (for Mexico), Excellence B. Pools are even. Preferred Club at Excellence A, Secrets C+ (in terms of amenities). Rooms - even for the same level of category.

Enjoy your stay

Room Tip: Only book preferred club if you want to guarantee a better view of the ocean. If the resort is not...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nodoor

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments wich I'm sure they will be very helpful to other travelers. We hope to have you back to our resort and when you do , be sure to let us know you are coming a few days earlier.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!