“Loved This Place”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The great: beach, beach cabanas, entire staff, service, rooms, pools, spa, massage service, breakfast buffet, Japanese Restaurant, mini bar in room, and the well kept hotel grounds.

The good: main bar/lounge area, Italian Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant, and after hours shows/events (fire dancers and March Madness viewing as examples).

The ok: the other dinner and lunch restaurants, the coffee shop, and the boring Sugar Reef bar.

The bad: time share/vacation package sales pitch for a VIP breakfast upon arrival (just say no this!), the pizza (worst I have ever had), and lack of a "party" spot in the day with loud music (very chill).

Overall, this place kills you with great service and friendly staff. Good for a honeymoon or anniversary. Would go back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul B
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and five star rating! In regards to the Bads:I will encourage you to send me an email next time you come back so we can note the system you do not wish to be invited to the sales presentations, as far as the pizza, I will send this comment to our chef.

Hope you come back very soon and when you do, please be sure to let me know.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

My company hosted a large group for a corporate outing and several of us got violently ill. I returned 5 days ago and my stomach still hasn't recovered. We brought 30 employees, about one-third were impacted, far too high a percentage in my opinion. One coworker was told that it was noro-virus as a result of contaminated food. I'm not sure how many customers got sick but illness stories are trickling in. We drank bottled water, and even brushed our teeth with bottled water. This is very unfortunate. The resort is beautiful, the beach is amazing, the service outstanding. If you're going, I'd recommend playing it safe, eat cooked foods only, avoid the fruit and salads, I ate a lot of produce and maybe they washed them in local water. Before we all got sick, we were impressed with the food, it tasted better than what I've come to expect from an all-inclusive.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
13  Thank Rob R

Dear guest,

Thanl you so much for the review, and allow me to explain so you can dig a little deeper and find out what actually happened.

We have almost 1500 people that eat our food everyday (between guests and employees) we take pride on how we handle our food and have several people that make sure we meet the highest standars of food, safety and higiene.

People tend to eat and drink a lot more than what they do back home, also remeber the weather makes an impact on some people. If you eat and drink what you normally would, you should be fine. But please , remember what you had before you arrived, if you went on a tour or excursion, you may find the problem was something else.

I will encourage you to send me an email so I can send you records of our inpections and audits when it comes to this.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Went here on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. Stayed in preferred club on the 3rd floor, had a lovely view of the ocean and no issues with noise.
I think this resort has the best of both worlds, if you want a party time you can certainly have it and if you’re looking for tranquillity there is plenty of that also.
All the staff were truly lovely the best I have ever come across, always willing to help at any time of the day or night. Activity team were great always smiling and never tried to push things on you but always giving you info.
Food was great, they have a great variety of restaurants and the 24 hour room service comes in really handy when you’re feeling a little lazy.

Room Tip: We stayed preferred club as we wanted the view which I would recommend.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for choosing our resort! We look forward seeing you back home soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Wonderful experience, service second to none, rooms are magnificent and food of a very high standard, lots of restaurant to choose from and many bars.
Evening entertainment of a high standard and it felt like a home from home.
The beach is one of best in the world and you are made to feel special from the minute you arrive to when you leave.
The only negative I have is the constant pestering to sell you membership of the privilege club! which isn't cheap !

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
4  Thank Dawn502014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We look forward seeing you back real soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We just returned home from a 5 day trip to Secrets. It was booked through apple vacations. It took 30 minutes from the airport to arrive at the hotel. We walked up to drinks and a cool towel. It hotel is beautiful. I had arranged for a small 4 inch birthday cake for my best friend. ($56) before we arrive through email with the hotel. I spoke to Hector at check in and arranged that the cake would be ready at dinner. Like I had requested a week prior. He said it was in her room. I told him I wanted it at dinner. He said he would collect it and for me to just let the restaurant know when we sat down. The rooms were amazing we booked a swim out room but we were under the impression that it was a lazy river type swim out which it was not. It was only about 10 rooms that lead no where. So that kind of sucked. The first night we ate at the Mexican restaurant (not very good at all) so I told the lady up front to deliver the cake after we finished eating. No one had a clue about the cake and it ended up not being a surprise after all. It took 20 minutes to find the cake. Oh well.... drink were great and flowing. The beach was unbelievable. So beautiful and crystal clear water. We did book a snorkeling trip from the hotel. We were the other four on the trip. It was great we got one on one tour of the reefs. We did visit the spa on the last day. The best massage I've had in a long time. Prefect ending to a great trip. All the staff were great and really got all the guest involved in games and different things they had going on. All the pool bar staff were awesome!! The knew our name after the first day. Two of them named Carlos made our trip!! Making us different kinds of shots to try. One thing I want to say and I didn't see a lot if this going on. Please tip the staff. I understand it's all inclusive but it won't hurt you to tip a dollar for drinks. These girls and guys work hard 12 hour shifts and done get to see there families very often.
We will definitely be back!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kamicoleman

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We look forward having you back real soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This place is awesome. Food, staff, grounds, rooms. We had the very rare opportunity to escape sans kids and the first place we thought of was Secrets Maroma. This is our 3rd time staying here, 6th trip to Playa. Playa is one of my favorite getaways and can't wait to return.

My only complaint is that I feel like the breakfast service was hit or miss...I hated to have to flag down a waiter for a water but really, is this that big of a deal? Not really....

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and for choosing us one more time! We hope to see you yet again next year!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed 25th March - 5th April 14 at Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon. After much consideration and review reading, we chose this hotel and we could not have chosen better. Sorry for a long review, but we can’t praise it enough.

We booked the preferred club ocean view room which was great as we liked to sit on the balcony looking at the ocean and drink from the mini bar (all of which was refilled daily and free), but we didn’t use the preferred club at all apart from at check in and out as it was on the other side of the resort (we were in block 16) and we felt that it offered little that we couldn’t get elsewhere. The view from the room was worth the money for a romantic holiday– I would have hated to have been at the back of the resort, but perhaps not if you’re not on a romantic holiday (with friends etc.).

Our concierge Antonio was fantastic and helped us so much with tour and resort information, even personally bringing our requested coffee every day. He’s such a friendly man and seems genuinely interested in his guests and helping out. Nothing is too much trouble, I'm just so sorry that we forgot to leave him a tip!

Our room was amazing – well decorated, well-furnished and the bed was so comfortable. I have a bad back, but I barely felt a thing whilst I was there. I loved the large inside Jacuzzi bath and double sinks. The toiletries were well stocked and of good quality. The shower was powerful and had a good temperature range.

Other people have mentioned the lack of privacy in the toilet and I can understand this. We didn’t find it a problem, but if you are particularly sensitive about toilet issues it may cause a problem! Basically, the toilet and shower are in two separate units off the main bathroom. The only problem is that the toilet door is an opaque glass door with a large hole as a handle which doesn’t provide a lot of privacy, especially as you can see straight through on to the bed from the loo (so presumably you can see back too!).

I’m not sure why but our package included a lot of goodies for free – sparkling wine on arrival, a massage and facial for both my husband and I, a romantic dinner on the beach (which was delicious), breakfast in bed and unlimited access to the hydrotherapy circuit at the spa. All made the holiday and we were treated exceptionally well by all the staff helping us.

All staff were excellent, but Jordan and the Ferminator in the excellente! Entertainment team were exceptional, they remembered our names, engaged everyone and were always smiling and enthusiastic, despite what must be very long days for them - they never complained or showed anything but happiness.

The day time programmes were full and varied and pool volleyball was always well attended. The evening entertainment was good as long as you don’t expect a Vegas show every night. It is what it is! The Beatles show was good as was the rock show. The in house band ‘Quarzo’ were excellent. This being an adults only resort, it had a show called ‘affair’. I did not really want to go to this as the description made it sound like a swingers party but it was actually a good show with plenty of acrobatics. Unfortunately, it also had two ‘ladies’ who were topless, talentless and pointless, but they weren’t there much so it was bearable.

I LOVED the pool side entertainment on the Tuesday night with the fire, light and water displays – excellent!

Unfortunately, they have large private parties that guests cannot attend, simply mentioning this in the daily programme would avoid confusion.

The larger pool was our favourite because it was quieter and more relaxing looking at the ocean, but the other was good for more active days (and the swim up bar). Saying this, it wasn't really noisy apart from the last Friday where it was invaded by new weekend guests. Generally, it was very relaxing.

The spa was amazingly relaxing – we had a free couples facial and it was great. The hydrotherapy circuits are relaxing too. The spa prices are very high, but that’s to be expected. I don’t think that I would have gone if it wasn’t free of charge.

There are lots of choices to eat. For breakfast we usually ate at the World Cafe buffet for the sheer amount of choice on offer, but the Oceana restaurant also did menu food which was great.
For lunch we firstly made the mistake of having a buffet or a burger from the Barefoot grill which were gorgeous, but it was a mistake because we were so full we couldn’t eat dinner!

We ate in the Portofino restaurant (Italian), the food was great, but it is VERY dark in there, it made me sleepy – perhaps go when your body has caught up with the time difference! Bordeaux (French) was beautiful and I mean, BEAUTIFUL! The Japanese restaurant needs booking if you want a Teppanayaki seat but it’s worth the little effort – the chef is so skilled and funny and the food is delightful. Be warned though, it is VERY hot in there so dress lightly.
The cocktails in the swim up bar are delicious, although made with cheaper spirits, but they have all the top shelf stuff for other drinks. The lobby bar drinks are amazing – I liked the Espresso martini’s best and you get nice nibbles with them too. They had a pianist and singing duo a couple of nights which created a lovely atmosphere.

Warning – room service is not good food – make the effort and go out for dinner! We felt lazy a couple of nights and ordered. It was hot and on time, but it wasn‘t anywhere near the same quality as you can get in the restaurants. Although I did like the secrets box so you’re not disturbed.

Overall, with some very minor points (which really are nit- picking), this is an excellent hotel with some excellent staff. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone considering it, especially for a special occasion..…. Spoil yourself!

The Ollis'

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view for a romantic holiday. For a beach / pool holiday with friends save the money...
12  Thank Claire l

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review! We are sorry you did not enjoyed our room service all that much. We look forward serving you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!