Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wilmington, Delaware
“Wow!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you don't like gorgeous beaches, beautiful facilities, outstanding food, great entertainment warm and an unbelievably courteous staff you should avoid Secrets Maroma at all cost! This will not be the place for you.

If however you want to relax and bask in the beauty of an unbelievable resort then you have arrived at the right destination. Everything at Secrets is just 1st class. The staff was so friendly and eager to make your stay memorable.

We have stayed at many places along the Riviera Maya (Including the Secrets Capri). Maroma is at the top of our experiences. The Beach is probably our greatest memory of Maroma. You can walk forever on fine white sand and look at some of the prettiest water on the planet. I recommend the southern walk toward Playa a bit more so than the northern direction.

The food and the restaurants were exceptional. The Italian and French Restaurants are just beautiful. The Decor was just amazing. My favorite was the Japanese Hibachi style restaurant. It had the most exceptional food. Oh and the pancakes at breakfast!!!!!!

One thing that doesn't get enough attention on the other reviews was the entertainment. The staff and the shows were exceptional. The house band was fantastic particularly the lead guitar player. He played Pink Floyd like David Gilmour himself.

Our Concierge met our every need. She was so sweet. The drinks were awesome and you were asked constantly if you would like another one. Just top shelf!!!!

Our room and our view from the Balcony were awesome. Our maid just made the room look like the day we arrived every day.

For any potential divers you should have a great time. Lots of Fish and beautiful Coral formations. Just be aware that on your deep dives you may not be prepared for some very fast moving currents. It is "Drift Diving". Sometimes the currents are quite manageable but on the strong day's you'll feel like one of those turtles in "Finding Nemo". Anything you do see you'll be flying past it on such days.

If you're on the fence get off it. It is the place to detox and forget about life for a while.

I would be remiss if i didn't point out that you may be steered into joining their vacation club. If you are enthralled with Secrets and you want to vacation only with Secrets for the rest of your life it might not be a bad deal. Just know that it is high pressure sales. If you don't want to hear the pitch you can kindly say no at the very start.

3 Thank MJKealey
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and wonderful pictures! We loo forward seeing you soon.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,557)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is the first review I have ever written on trip advisor but after an amazing stay I felt compelled to write and share my experience.

We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach for 2 weeks between the 15th April and 29th April 2014 and also choose to get married at the resort. A group of 14 of us travelled to Mexico and all stayed at the resort for the duration of the trip and to say we were impressed is an understatement.

Firstly the hotel.
The welcome you receive at Secrets Maroma is fantastic you are made to feel at home straight away. After a quick and easy check in, we were all shown to our rooms. We each had the junior suite tropical view and the rooms are very impressive, with large king sized beds, jacuzzi baths and all the extras you'd expect from a 5 star resort. Each block has its own concierge and we met ours almost immediately, Marianos was extremely helpful and took care of all of our requests around what we'd like supplied in our mini bars, dealt with any issues immediately and even helped us book tables in the restaurants a couple of evenings so our group could dine together.

All of the restaurants in the hotel are amazing, each themed and providing delicious meals of a la carte food. The breakfast buffet had every breakfast item you could think of from fresh fruit, pastries, freshly prepared omelettes and crepes and bacon and eggs. The maître de Edgar was extremely friendly and greeted us personally every morning. As we often ate breakfast in a group of 6-8 he always ensured he prepared a table for us and we were taken care of.
For lunch the buffet restaurant provided again a vast variety of dining options from a selection of salad items, fish, sushi, burgers and Mexican favourites. The barefoot grill by the main pool also served lunch freshly preparing meat and fish as you waited. The first week of our stay was Hamburger festival at the hotel with 10 different special burgers for you to try. The staff around the pool also bought out various foods each day to tempt guests including fruit skewers and paella.
In the evening you are not short of dining options. The himitsu restaurant is not to be missed and I suggest booking a seat at the show table were the chefs prepare the food in front of you for a truly entertaining dining experience. But to be honest all of the restaurants were exquisite and every evening we had a new favourite depending on where we were dining that evening!

All of the hotel grounds are immaculately presented and the pool areas are beautiful, with the main pool where all of the activities take place and the more relaxing infinity pool which overlooks the beach and beautiful turquoise sea. There is a fantastic waiter service around the pool, with Benito and CiCi going out of there way to ensure our every need was catered to, and chatting to us daily. On our last morning Benito even came to find us to say goodbye before we left.

The beach was absolutely stunning, the best I've ever been too. Again with waiter service and plenty of water sports to keep you entertained

The entertainment staff at Secrets Maroma are fantastic and work tirelessly to make every guest feel special and ensure they have the best holiday. The whole team took time to get to know our group and really made our holiday. Jordan, Tomas, Diana, Fernando, Fermin and Cesar were all so friendly and fun and encouraged everyone to get involved in the many activities going on throughout the day, with pool volleyball being a favourite with our group! The evening entertainment was also spectacular and beyond anything I've seen at any other resort. From amazing acrobats and fire dancers in the main shows, to singers and foam parties on the beach, each evening provided something different.

The spa was also beautiful, extremely tranquil and relaxing we booked to have a couples massage, which was amazing. We were advised to arrive at the spa at least an hour prior to our treatment to make the most of the facilities. The spa has a sauna, steam room, large hot tub and huge hydrotherapy pool along with relaxation lounges, which we took advantage of before our massage.

Now for the wedding.
I will take this opportunity to say what an amazing job Cecilia Reyes the on site wedding co-ordinatior does, from the moment we booked she was on hand to answer any questions we had and always emailed us promptly with all information. She also caught up with us on arrival in resort to help finalise details and ensure we were prepared with all correct documentation.

The morning of the wedding I headed to the spa for my hair and make up to be done. I must admit after reading other reviews I was apprehensive and had a friend on hand in case I didn't like the end result. But once again the hotel exceeded expectation. I took some pictures along of the hairstyle I wanted and Blanca created the perfect wedding hair and subtle makeup.

The actual ceremony was stunning we opted to get married on the beach under the small gazebo and it looked stunning. We opted to upgrade our package to the ultimate package, so seat covers, flowers etc were all included. We also opted to pay extra for the sound system so we could play music as I walked down the aisle, and to ensure everybody could hear our vows over the sound of the ocean. The whole ceremony was beautiful and the justice of the peace was lovely.

Following the ceremony we had photos on the sand and in the nearby jungle. The whole photo team were great and captured the day beautifully, with fun laid back shoots and more formal images. Mario was brilliant and it's clear he loves his job. I had previously read reviews complaining about the photo team and how they withheld important photos from the day unless all photos were purchased. However this is not the case, we were able to select the 50 photos for our photo book from the 400 taken, which has turned out perfectly and there is no sales pitch to try to get you to buy more photos. In fact we had to ask Mario about extra photos, and purchased a disk with 100 extra photos on for only $200!

We choose to have our cocktail hour in the pool side gazebo with the Mexican trio playing which was great fun and the hors d'ouevres were delicious and again beautifully presented. Following this we dined on the terrace, just outside the conference facilities as this was a nice private area, overlooking the resort. The meal was fantastic and enjoyed by everyone. We were taken care of throughout the day by a team of waiters who did not stop bringing round drinks and ensured everything ran smoothly. The whole day was absolutely perfect, fun and stress free, which was exactly how we imagined our wedding to be.

In all we loved our trip to Secrets Maroma Beach and feel the hotel staff really make the hotel special, everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful and always had a smile on their faces. I cannot fault the hotel at all, in fact I can't wait to return for another holiday!

Room Tip: We had a standard tropical view suite which was perfect, unless you are desperate for a view of the...
1 Thank Hannah P
Dear guest,

I will make sure to thank Cecilia for her service. Thank you so much for the wonderful review and five star rating. We look forward seeing you again very, very soon!

UK
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just want to tell you about my wonderful holiday. I have read the last couple of reviews and I have to tell you I am flabbergasted - THIS IS TRUE 5 STAR. I have just got back at the end of April the weather was super low 30s very hot hot hot. Anyway I will give you a run down of the hotel.

As soon as we arrived the luggage was taken care of and we were seated with a glass of champagne and a cool towel whilst we checked in. We were then given a margareta and corona just to quench our thirst. Then taken to our rooms. They were fantastic - we asked for a high room and got it - we only booked a tropical view and I have to say it was lovely. We have stayed in a lot of 5 star all inclusives and this was he best. The room had a double jacuzzi, large walk in shower plus all of the toiletries that you could want. We had a bottle of champagne and red roses in the room as it was our 25th wedding anniversay, plus a banner on the door.

The restaurants served the best food that I have ever eaten at no extra cost, lobster thermador, fillet mignon, salmon wellington etc plus a bottle of champagne with our meal or whatever drink you wanted - service was the best we had from Jesus to Mariano (our concierge) to the wonderful lady on the buffet restaurant who remembered us every day and even when we arrived minus our husbands (who had gone golfing) even mentioned them.

Golfing - my husband and friend went golfing three times during the time they were there, the course was oustanding with a cost for the buggy only . The first time it was fantastic and quiet but the second and third time there were golfers who did not follow the golfing rules - sandals, not golf shoes, a five ball, not golfing etiquite, messing around - and a buggy which was not charged therefore did not reach home and they had to walk back. This was the only negative but they both still loved the course.

Entertainment - well what can I can it was outstanding - we played pool volleyball everyday - and I actually hit it a couple of times but i am still proud of myself, we went kayaking, cycling beach volleyball etc - plus the evening entertainment was outstanding especially the Beatles night (not sure about the rock night - I bit too much for me).

Staff - well this is the reason that you go. Eugina our maid was excellent, Mariano was fantastic concienge, the entertainment team, Dr Love, Sasquash, The Mexican Chocolate, The Ferminator, Diana, the 12 Year old (or so they called her) they were all excellent - our pool waitor Pablo and Elleanor was great. and I loved the fact that they were always walking around with food from Pizza to Paella and then cold compresses to cool you down. It was outstanding.

Drinks - well you could have anything from Jim Bean, Jack Daniels to margareta, moitto bacardi and coke or just anything that were all the best I had ever tasted, plus the cafe coco made super coffee and snacks in the afternoon.

Beach - the whitest i have ever seen and also the cleanest - plus the swing bar - in the shade which made fantastic drinks but unfortunately this did close at 5pm which was disappointing.

Overall I just want to say that I will be returning it was so good - but it is the service which sells this hotel - I have been to some fantastic hotels which look nicer but it is the service which will keep you coming back again and again. Thank you staff for everything you did for us.

Room Tip: Any room. all are fantastic
6 Thank DMA1
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I´m sure all these tips will be very helpful to other travelers. We look forward serving you in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a week inApril. We had plans to enjoy the resort and also visit other restaurants and activities in the area. Well, everything about Secrets Maroma was so amazing, we never left once! The grounds are beautiful. The facilities are all well-maintained and immaculate. The food and beverages are excellent quality and so fresh. And, the staff is amazing. They always greet you with a smile and are always available to answer your every wish with a cheery attitude. We loved our walks on the beautiful beach and all of the activities the facility offered. I think one of our favorites was the bonfire on the beach with acoustic guitar entertainment night. It was one of our many "pinch me that I'm really here" moments of the week. If we're lucky, we'll be back next year, and the year after for another week of perfect relaxation and being spoiled! Thank you Secrets crew! We are still smiling...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jillz101
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for these comments! We hope to have you back soon.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon. The rooms were amazing, we had a swim up suite. The hotel property was very clean, and everything looked beautiful. The beach was incredible. They did a great job of cleaning and grooming it everyday. The drinks and food were good and always available. The bar and restaurant staff was very friendly.
I've never written a review on TripAdvisor for a hotel I've stayed at. Here's why I felt obliged to write and why I rated them poor. First, the sales pitch they try to give right after you check-in is annoying. We paid all this money to stay here, I want to enjoy the resort. I just politely declined that offer. Second, we booked a honeymoon package that was supposed to include a romantic breakfast. We set it up with our concierge for one morning. They didn't arrive on time. We waited 30 minutes after the agreed on time and they didn't show up. I called the concierge and he said they should be on the way. We waited another 30 minutes and they still didn't show. So we just went to the Cafe for breakfast. Not a big deal, but we didn't get want they agreed to offer. The hotel staff never called to apologize.
On the day we were supposed to arrive at the hotel. There was a major winter storm in the US. Our flight got cancelled. We could not get on another flight until the next day. The parent company of this hotel is AMResorts. I checked their website during the storm, and it stated that their "Inclement Weather Policy" was in effect. It basically states that they will wave the No Show fees. We we arrived a day late, they hotel refused to honor this. They claimed that my departure city was not impacted by the storm. Guess they knew more about my weather in the US than me. That storm was why our flight got cancelled.
The final reason I only rated this hotel poor was due to how sick we got. My wife and I got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant. We never left the hotel during our stay, so it was not caused from another location. The morning of our return we were both sick with stomach cramps. It was the worst pain either one of us ever had. We suspect it was from a salad, but who knows. It was not fun flying home. My wife had a hard time walking in the airport. After 10 days of the worst stomach cramps, I went to the doctor to get some antibiotics. That finally cured it. I called the hotel to tell them how sick we were, they only said "no one else called to say they are sick".
This was an expensive trip for me, I had saved up for our honeymoon and wanted to go to a very nice place. While the room, bars, pools, waiters/waitress, hostess, and beach are the best all inclusive I've ever seen, I would not recommend it to my friends. For me- the cost was high, the management unhelpful, and the 10 days of horrible illness and pain would not justify me recommending this hotel to friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank J H
Dear guest,

I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations, we are really not happy when our guests aren't eighther. I will like to take a moment to adress the items you've mentioned:

UVC: If after check in, they took a long time to give you the coupons and invite you to the sales presentation, I appologize. I normally offer guests to decline if they wish to as this is not an obligation.

AMResorts "Inclement Weather Policy": That is correct, if your departure city was not afected by the storm, the no show policy applies and there is no way around it. So we coulnt help you with that even if we wanted to.

Food: We are a Five Diamond property and are extremely careful about the way we handle our food, we have audits by different Tour Operators as well as the city because we have the "Distinctive H" wich is the highest honor a property can get in Mexico for food hygiene. even though you did not leave the property, we don't know how your body reacts to the climate changes, the local food and the excess food and drinks. And as you mentioned, we have 1500 people everyday eating our food, between employees, guests and visitors, if the issue was in our food, we will have many reports on the same day (At least 30% of that) We are happy to share our inpections records with any of our guests.

I like to handle every situation personally, if there is any chance we can have you back, please let me know and I will be happy to contact you.

Sincerely.

Williamstown
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our stay at Secrets Maroma Beach was wonderful and we highly recommend staying here. The Resort was very clean and well kept. Everyone was very pleasant and friendly. The Entertainment team are a great group of people. (Thank you Fernando) The shows and activities were great. The wait staff were very attentive to you. They make you feel like royalty. Loved how the bartenders are willing to accommodate a special drink and they remember it. (Carlos) Especially appreciated be able to order lunch or snacks at the pool/beach. Other places you have to go and eat at the restaurant. Love this place!!

Room Tip: All the lower level rooms have a walk out pool. This is nice if you want some private swim time. Roo...
1 Thank Kathy G
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the five star review and for naming the ones who made you feel special.

Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a lovely property with excellent service! The grounds are well maintained and it is a very relaxing resort. we stayed here about 5 years ago. The only negative thing I could say is that their wine selection is weak. You could buy one that was decent for $95 dollars but this is an all- inclusive and I feel we should not have had to do that. The food was better last time we were there. Staff is wonderful and everything else was great!

1 Thank Marypat72
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments! Keep in mind we have 9 labels as part of the all inclusive!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#33 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!