“An amazing honeymoon in paradise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tempe, Arizona
“An amazing honeymoon in paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Long before we were even married, I started my research into the perfect honeymoon spot for my husband and I. After tedious hours of searching through reviews, I chose this hotel because it seemed to please nearly everyone! I rated secrets maroma with four stars, even though I had a five star experience, due to the fact that I think there are a few downfalls and areas of improvement.

Upon arrival, the bellman left our luggage at the front and told us this wasn't the VIP area for check-in. They gave us a slip with our luggage info and whisked us away on a golf cart and gave us a quick tour of the facilities. We checked into the resort with no timeshare/vacation nonsense that I've read a few people mention. However, I did find it peculiar that even though we were in the system, they still wanted me to email them our travelocity confirmation. Hmmmm, not sure what that's about.

After check-in, we were escorted to our room and met our concierge Rogerio, who proved to be very sweet and always made sure to say hi whenever we walked past his desk. That said, I don't feel like he really did much other than occasionally fill our mini-bar and coffee. It's not his fault, I just don't understand what the job is really there for. Speaking of the mini-bar.....kinda a joke. We did like the fact that it had some snacks and mixers, but each day they only supplied three mini liquor bottles: 1 jack, 1 bacardi and 1 finlandia. I'm sorry but we enjoy cocktails on the balcony and that doesn't seem that generous for two people for a day. On that note I'll adress......

THE CONS:
*Even with the hefty price-tag this resort carries, I felt they still tried to nickle and dime you. We thought about getting a couples massage but we were quoted $285 for 50 minutes. I'm no tight wad by any means, but I get 60 minute deep tissue massages where the masseuse comes to my house for $60. I understand people will pay this because they want to spoil themselves, but I have principle, and I won't get gouged just because I'm some sucker on vacation. Also, the resort credits are a joke, they give you $40 worth of wine credit but can only use them in $10 increments. Same with the spa, $40 off each overpriced treatment; there is no combining your coupons.
*Wine marketing trickery: Whomever does the marketing here is a bit of a genius. All wine lists provided at the restaurants show price by bottle, leading everyone to believe you can't get a glass of wine as part of the all inclusive. I caught on after buying two bottles and began to order a glass of cab or merlot, etc (not by name, just "can I get a glass of cab"). My husband was very skeptical but alas, no charges. Don't fall into the bottle wine coupon crap, it's just a way to get more money from you.
*Lack of spirits/wine/booze after 5.
We thought it was rather peculiar that the bars close down around 5pm. At that point you need to start doing some investigative journalism (ha). We called room service to see if we could get a few extra mini bottles for our room and were told they didn't have them. It wasn't until after we talked to the concierge the next day, that we found out that they will deliver shots and mixers to the room. We definitely took advantage of that, but made sure we tipped as you would do at the bar.
*THE HUMIDITY!!!!
Oh mylanta! We come from Arizona and know a good heat, but this was unreal. The only comfortable spots, climate wise, were inside the room ( AC cranked to 72) or right at the beach. We participated in many activities around Sugar Reef and were so extremely sweaty and uncomfortable. Just stay near the beach and you'll be fine. Once the sun goes down, the weather is absolutely perfect.
*NO SEALED BATHROOM DOOR: If you weren't comfy hearing your partner use the bathroom before, you sure learned how to.
*LUNCH AT THE BAREFOOT GRILLE SUCKED.
*NOISY AT TIMES: We were actually impressed that we couldn't hear the neighbors through the walls, but we definitely could hear the maids rolling heavy carts early in the morning. Also on one occasion, the wedding DJ at the gazebo was playing the music so loud that we had a hard time watching a movie in our room.

THE OKAY:
*There was a bit of inconsistency with the food in the resort. We had some meals that were amazing, and then there were meals that were really not good. I think the chefs need some better training.
*The Preferred club in itself is pretty much a joke. The only thing that made it worth while was that it gave us a better room. The food served in the preferred club is the same every single day, and none of it was really that good. Room service was better.

THE GREAT:
*The entertainment here really made the trip for us. I feel like this particular resort is better suited for people who want to meet others and participate in activities and shows. We spent our fair share of time drinking by the beach and reading, but that would have become boring if that's all we did the whole time. Off the top of my head, we participated/attended in the following:
yoga
rock show
desires dance club
comedy show
cirque show

The entertainment staff is a riot and we actually got to know a few of them pretty well. Fermin is an absolute riot, Sasquatch (fernando) was our gentle giant, and Diana was the sweetest thing around. If you put in the effort to have fun, you will be rewarded with people who do the same. I can't say enough about the great staff; it wouldn't be the same without them.
The ROCK SHOW was sooooo much fun. People need to realize that these performers are obviously not legends, but they put on a great production and they had us all out of our seats dancing.....I'm not kidding!! The male rock show singer and the guitar player blew us away.
*FREE WI-FI: Sure it was a little spotty here and there, but it's free and frankly...GET OFF YOUR PHONE AND LIVE LIFE.
*AMAZING BEACH SERVICE: I could tell that they were working really hard, but they were still very friendly and deserved every tip they earned.
*BORDEAUX: I'm amazed at the negative things said about this restaurant, as it was our favorite restaurant experience. Our waiter was so fun and humorous and the food was stunning. We had lobster bisque (which I will admit is different than normal), filet and lobster. We melted.

I'm sure I could keep going but this is probably getting excessive.

We just wanted to say that we had the best honeymoon here and that we met some really wonderful people. It was very special.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank christin f
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, as far as the comments you made I would like to point out the resort always will ask for you a confirmation sheet from your travel agency to compare your reservation with what we have on the system. I will take note on your comments on the minibar in your room , however, we do offer 24 hour room service if you think the bottles are not enough. We change our restaurants menus very often and if someone is not completely satisfied with the food, we can always talk to our F&B manager to fix that. As far as the wine, we offer 9 labels as part of the All Inclusive and have almost 200 labels in the house. So the options are plenty.

If you ever wish to return, I will encourage you to contact me so I can make sure we go over these details to make your stay memorable.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,325)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This property is five stars all the way. Beautiful grounds, beach, restaurants and rooms. Very modern-feeling property. Service is excellent as is the food. It is definitely an upscale resort in Mexico.

Room Tip: Unless you pay for a preferred room you will be a little ways from the beach. You can still see the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the lovely review and five star rating! We hope to see you back real soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

"Welcome home" is the first thing you hear when you arrive.
From the outset, everyone here is welcoming, endearing and passionate about making you happy.
Whether it's the front office staff, the cleaning crew, the overnight room service waiters to the janitors, everyone here says hello, how are you and greets you with a smile.
The service is INCREDIBLE! While the food is delectable!
This place makes it very hard for you to leave the resort...because at every turn, the food is fresh and delicious. There are several resturants to choose from including seafood, Italian and French. All top notch with outstanding quality!
The drinks are not small...these guys know how to pour and make a drink that's decent sized. They don't skimp on the alcohol one bit.
While the resort is clean and picturesque, the beach is they type of beach you can't pull yourself away from.
White sand, feels more like fine flour. Clean, swimmable water, with Staff waiting on you diligently and respectfully.
Towels on the beach or around the pool wasn't a problem at all. Plenty of chairs and plenty of towels to go around.
Overall, an outstanding experience and one that I hope to return to next time I'm in PDC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for recommending our resort to other travelers! We hope to see you real soon and when you are ready to come back, please send me an email.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

First off, the service at this resort was tremendous. Every employee is dedicated to making your stay memorable. With that said, please don't take this review as negative in any way. There are just tricks and tips that will make your stay even better.Let's start with breakfast. Most everyone goes to the buffet. They have a wide range of food you would expect and some you would never imagine. The juices are great, the omelet station has varied ingredients. You will also find alot of food that was leftover from lunch and dinner the day before reinvented. For a very nice change, eat breakfast at Oceana. Fruit platters, omelets and scrambled eggs are a huge step above the buffet, and someone serves you.
Dinners: The 4 restaurants, Italian, Hibachi, French and Seafood are all top notch. My favorite was Italian. One thing I learned after my first night was to remember that this is an ALL INCLUSIVE resort. There were several entrees I wanted to try during my stay. One of my friends ordered half portions of several entrees each night. To heck with that, order full portions since they are not huge to begin with. Same goes for desserts. If you want to eat at the Hibachi restaurant, make reservations the day you arrive since it fills up fast. If you are an early eater, anytime before 7PM, you won't have any trouble being seated right away. After 7, you may have to wait at all the restaurants.
ALCOHOL: I quickly realized that, unless you watch them make a drink you ordered, the amount they put in your drinks seem very minimal. Again, after the first day at the pool, I ordered pina coladas and asked for a shot of rum on the side (sometimes two). Then, when the drink arrived, I just poured the shots into my drink. Same goes for every mixed drink I had during my stay.
The pool is nice. It's a pool, nothing special. Swim up bar, floats, drinks, food, etc.
The beach is fantastic. Plenty of lounges in the sun or under a palapa (thatched umbrella).
For me, the best day I spent was renting a cabana for the day. The cost is $50 and worth every penny. A queen sized bed, a butler brings cold towels, water, drinks, food as often as you need. It is surrounded by sheets so it can be very private if you want, or open it up for a great breeze. Had I know how great this was, I would have rented it for several days. They book quickly.
Look at other reviews for the "coupons" that you get. Basically, you have to spend money to use the coupons.
The only downside to the whole week was the "entertainment" they had each night. The best way to describe it was, these acts were the ones rejected by a cruise ship. A Fire Show, a Rock Band, Comedian/Magician, etc. While these shows were not worth attending (there is not much else to do at night if you're looking for activities), it is made much worse by the constant over the top, clapping, screaming, pumping of the "Entertainment Staff". Their job is to try to get you excited no matter how bad the act is. It was extremely distracting. My advice is to order drinks, sit at the beach and star gaze.
Some other things, room service is very good, you mini bar is well stocked, the rooms are fantastic and the staff is great.

Room Tip: We had a room in the #16 building. Very close to the pool and the beach, but a good walk to the main...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Wronkolada
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and the five star rating! We hope next time you come back you get to enjoy our nightly shows!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got married here and we have no regrets! This is absolutely the way to do it! We had 38 of our family and friends there with us and I don’t think anyone had a bad experience the entire week we were there. I am adding some of my wedding reviews as part of my review for future SMB Brides, but overall it was a spectacular vacation! We loved every minute!

As for the hotel, it was fantastic! It is a great all-inclusive with a breathtakingly beautiful beach! If you can get them the rooms in the buildings on the beach are the way to go. I believe you have to go preferred club and/or honeymoon suite to get these and they are absolutely worth it! If possible I would request a higher floor so that you have the beautiful beach views.

Cecilia is the wedding planner that we worked with and she was amazing! She went above and beyond and made sure that everything was perfect. I will say that communication was a bit delayed when we were still a couple of months out, but that is because she prioritizes based on wedding date and once you are there you will see how incredibly busy she is! However, she will meet with you when you arrive, discuss all the details and run with it to make sure that everything is fabulous! I am extremely detail oriented and she was on top of every detail!! We had quite a few last minute changes and she was more than happy to accommodate us and make things happen (i.e. we added DJ the day before the wedding, best decision of the entire process! If you are torn, it is absolutely worth it! Hire a DJ!!!) She is absolutely a professional and if you tell her something that you want she will make it happen!

There are a lot of reviews about the food on here, but I will just say it was definitely the best all-inclusive food I have ever had! Lots of options. For my husband and I the best meal we had, outside of the wedding, ended up being at the Italian restaurant so don’t count any restaurant out! For those of you with a bigger group, a word of advice, the restaurants are not set up for large groups. We did have one not as great experience with a dinner because we didn’t have a reservation and we had a large group (note that I said not AS Great, but it was still an overall good experience). The service is better in small groups at the restaurants, but that being said the service at our reception and bonfire were EXCELLENT! I was in the service industry in some form for 10+ years and I have high standards. The group that waited on us for our reception was fabulous!

I was leery about the Spa because I had a rough time getting things set up, but the day of everything came together. I will say we ordered Champagne and fruit while we were getting dressed and there was a bit of a mix up with that. My friend who is fluent in Spanish had to track it down, but we did get it. The Bridal suite is nice, but be aware if there are many of you getting dressed at once they will not be in the suite with you. It’s kind of a private waiting room for others who are getting hair/makeup done & a place for the bride to get dressed. There is one mirror and chair for the bride and the others are in a separate room. I was thankful that my friend who wasn’t getting anything done came with me so that I had someone to talk to. My makeup was flawless and I wish I could go back and have her do it again. My hair was a bit more complicated, but it turned out ok. An overall review of the spa is that it is great! Extremely relaxing! I had a fabulous massage. There is a fun pool, sauna, etc. circuit to do so bring your swimsuit. They have the pedicure with the fish that is a unique experience if you would like to try it.

We rented a cabana on the beach one day for $40 and if it had been just the two of us on vacation it would have been a great thing, but they are very strict that only two people can be in the cabana at a time. They didn’t want to let my 83 year old grandmother sit in the shade with my husband and I. I understand you have rules, but seriously? So if you are on vacation with two people I recommend you rent one, but if you make friends while on vacation they will have to rent their own. ;-)

I have included a lot of information here, but seriously if you can you should go here! We will definitely be going back to celebrate our anniversaries for many years to come!

Room Tip: As I said in my review if you can get them the rooms in the buildings on the beach are the way to go...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Un4gitabl
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us as to celebrate your wedding! I will share your lovely comments and we hope to see you on your first wedding anniversary!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We have just returned from our honeymoon in secrets maroma. This is a very special resort where we spent a week resting. We have been to many great hotels and although I have always liked them this is the only one where I felt like we were made to feel very special.

The one thing that made this resort truly special was the service - nothing was impossible here for the staff!

The beach, pool, bedrooms and restaurants were all fabulous and so immaculately kept.

A great resort for a quiet romantic holiday where you just want to feel pampered.

Room Tip: I never seen any other rooms, but we stayed in the junior suit with a garden view. We had our own Ja...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pamela L
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and five star rating! We hope to have you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Like you heard by many before this place is fabulous. Our stay was comfortable. Our swimout room was very nice. We used it everyday either before or after the beach or main pool. The water in the pools and the ocean was warm. The beach was absolutely beautiful. The sand was so soft and never hot on your feet. The food was good. Our favorite was Italian and Oceana. The Rock show was a lot of fun. This place is a true jem. We will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luvlylisa71
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and the five star rating! We look forward having you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,946 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,851 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!