“Mostly great all inclusive”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon. For the most part this is a great resort. As everyone else states, the staff can't do enough for you. Our concierge Mar, was the best! Everyone was always doing everything in their power to make sure that your stay was perfect!
We were in building 17, which had amazing views of the ocean. I had read reviews telling us to ask for a second or third floor room, as opposed to swimout. If you want views, do the same, however, the swimout looked pretty cool, and at times we were wishing we went that route. There is much less privacy, however.
The one thing I need to point out is, that although the food is good, it is over-rated, I believe. The Italian restaurant was our least favorite, and mexican was our favorite. The service at all restaurants was great, however! We did have an amazing meal in Playa Del Carmen at LaCasa De Agua!
Also, the beds weren't that great. I think it is time for new sheets, some of them were worn, and ready to be tossed out!
I do have to say, thanks to a review, I emailed the resort and asked not to receive the time share presentation. I received an email back telling me that they would do everything in their power to make sure we didn't get one, and we didn't!
We did stay in preferred club, worth it alone for the private bar! The bartenders there are great, it was a nice place to hang out before dinner and mid-day, during the rain.
The people at this resort are the ones that make your experience so amazing. We did tip, but no one is looking for a tip, they are truly just happy to help!

3  Thank Beckyg576
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review! Allow me to clarify we do replace our worn sheets so I would love to find out what happened. If you are thinking of coming back, please do not hesitate to contact me.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,940)

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This is my 3rd visit to Playa Del Carmen area and we stayed at different resorts each time. We undoubtedly will be returning to Secrets Maroma for our next vacation! The hotel is beautiful but it's the staff that makes all the difference. The entertainers are soo funny and caring. Fermin, Ivan, Cesar, Fernando and Rafael are just a few I can think of, that were OUTSTANDING! Ivan, during his off time, showed up to the beach with a cooler full of drinks for all of us playing volleyball. He was not told to do this, he is just a great person who cares about people.
The pool concierges wouldn't let us lift a finger. Anything we needed, they were there to assist. My concierge was Humberto. Fantastic gentleman who called us Mr and Mrs (last name). There were hundreds of couples there and he remembers everyone's name.
The food and drinks left nothing left to desire. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. Jean was our room concierge and he took care of all our needs.
Lastly, the nightly shows were fun filled and entertaining. The Rock Show was my favorite.
If you have the opportunity to visit Secrets Maroma, you won't be disappointed! The STAFF is the reason I will be returning to this beach oasis. My wife and I say "Thank You for our wonderful visit."

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nova5757

Dear guest,

Thank you so mcuh for recommending our resort! We are so happy our staff made your day. We look forward seeing you soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the resort 5/21-5/28. This was our 4th trip to the area, and 3rd resort we've stayed at. Secrets Maroma was by far the best we've stayed at!

We chose SMB because of the rave reviews on the beach. It didn't disappoint. Powder white sand, clear blue water, and the staff keeps it very clean. There are also tons of free palapas to get some shade when you need a break from the sun. We did get a private palapa for $50 one day, and it was very nice, but the free palapas work just as well. Never had a problem finding a place to sit, even if it was a little ways down the beach. Drink service on the beach was very good, the servers work their tails off running back and forth to the bar. We loved walking to the right of the resort daily since there is nothing for quite awhile.

The pools were beautiful and very clean, but we never once went in them because we just couldn't pass up sitting on the beach every day. The pool was definitely more lively if you are looking for that. We preferred the quiet of the beach.

The food is very good for an all inclusive. Our favorites were the French and Italian. The Hibachi dinner was also great, get reservations early. A lot of people have talked about long wait times every night, but we only had to wait once and the time we went to eat were all over the board. When you do have to wait, they give you a pager so just grab a drink in the lobby and relax. There are a few board games available to pass the time. The breakfast at the buffet is amazing!! I can't remember the name of the women who makes the omelets (Guillermina maybe) but her omlettes are heaven and she is so sweet. The crepe station is also amazing. I loved getting a mimosa every morning. Also want to give a special shout out to the buffet hostess Karla. She always remembered us and was a delight to talk with.

Not a lot of people review the fitness center, and that was important to me so I want to touch on that. I CrossFit and wasn't anticipating much. While it is small, I never had a problem finding ways to switch up my workouts with the available equipment. There are quite a few treadmills and ellipticals. There was a wide range of free weights, a squat rack, bench press, and a few other machines. When I wanted to do some barbell lifting, I just took the barbell off the bench press and used it if available. Overall, I was able to give myself some great workouts for vacation. Also, the green drink they have looks a little weird, but tastes really good.

The rooms are really nice and spacious. Housekeeping did an awesome job. The beds are SO comfy. We had a preferred club ocean view in building 25. We were on the top floor and I would recommend this. Never got tired of our view. Our concierges for the week were Paulina and Christina, and they were both fabulous. With preferred club we also got access to the preferred club lounge and unlimited use of the hydrotherapy circuit at the spa. We utilized both a lot (hydrotherapy was perfect after laying in the sun all day). The bartenders in the lounge are great, I wish we could remember the name of the bartender we would visit with daily. They have delicious canapes and snacks all the time. The lounge decor is a bit outdated and could use a face lift. I do think preferred club is worth it, simply for the view we had.

As many people have mentioned, the entertainment staff are PHENOMENAL. We did the kitchen tour with Jordan and Gabby, and Jordan was so fun and hilarious. He even remembered us a few days later when we saw him at the foam party. They work long hours but you would never know because their energy levels are always high, and they always seem to be having a great time with guests. The shows here are much better than shows we have seen at other resorts. We really enjoyed the Rock Show, Beatles Show, and Affair.

A few extra things. Tip the staff, they work very hard. Utilize the bug wipes since mosquitoes are definitely around. Bring a prescription for an antibiotic in case of stomach issues. My husband did have some issues the last few days. The onsite photographer (Adventure Photos) does a free photo shoot for you. Do it! We ended spending more on a package than we anticipated, but our photos turned out fabulous and there really is no better souvenir (will post an example of one of our photos). I recommend the latest time to take advantage of the sunset.

We had a great trip, got the relaxation we were looking for, and would definitely consider returning. I have already recommended the resort to friends.

Room Tip: Top floor to get the best ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank blubuff

Dear guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review and recommending our resort to other travelers, please send us an email when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Having spent 10 nights at Secrets Maroma i can honestly say it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in.
From arriving, being greeted witn champagne and a refreshing towel we knew it was going to be a great place to stay. Service at this hotel is second to none. From the bell boys to the waiters, towel boys and entertainment team. I cannot fault a single member of staff. I need to give special mention to a few staff who really stood out. Siad the room service guy, really friendly and nothing was too much trouble!
Darwin and fernando the waiters. Really friendly and knowledgeable!
The towel guy on the beach. Always smiling and really funny!
The entertainment team. They really do make ur holiday.
Cesar, Fermin, Sasquatch, Jordan,Ivan,Israel,Diana,Paulina, Mexican chocolate and many more. They work so hard every day and have so much energy. Really nice genuine people who i cannot speak highly enough of.
The food at this hotel it outstanding. So fresh no matter where u eat. Massive choice and the restaraunts are first class. Our favourite was Himatsu on the cooking table but i cannot fault any of the others!
The pool beaches and other areas of the hotel are so clean and really well maintained. The nightly entertainment is on another level to any hotel i have stayed at before!
I could go on forever but anyone who has anything negative to say about this hotel needs to get a grip. Simply fantastic. Thank you Secrets Maroma!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank graemec83

Dear guest,

We actually thank you for the wonderful words! We appreciate your comments and hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I just got back from Secrets Maroma. We had a wonderful time. I can't begin to describe how beautiful the resort is. Resort staff make sure you have everything you need no matter if you are lounging at the pool or heading out for an excursion.

Domingo at the French restaurant was one of our favorite waiters. He is so funny and we loved talking with him.
Caesar and Ivan with the entertainment team are hilarious. They made even the rainy days a lot of fun.

Umberto worked near the pool area and always made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed while lounging in the sun.

There is so much more I could say about this wonderful resort. This was truly a dream vacation and we certainly will visit again.

Room Tip: While the swim out rooms are beautiful, you can save some money by simply getting a junior suite oce...
3  Thank Leslie E

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments! We look forward having you back real soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just came back from spending my 40th Birthday. It was amazing! We upgraded to the Presidential Suite, which I highly recommend, well worth the $$ spent. The food was the best we have had at any all-inclusive, hands down. Service impeccable as well. All staff go above and beyond to ensure your happiness.

3  Thank lkenn2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for celebrating the special ocassion with us! Since you said you will be back, we look forward seeing an email from you when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed prefered club and loved it. Ask for a room on the side with prefered club launge. great to have near by. Beach was amazing and big. Never had a problem finding beach or pool chairs. Highly recommend getting a cabana on the beach for a day or two. Service was impecable. Andres the bartender in the prefered launge was great and always entertaining. Arturo and Urbano at the beach cabanas make the experiance feel like you were the CEO of Secrets. Christina (our concierge for our prefered club room) took care of every little thing you could possibly need. I would recommend just on the level of service alone. We actually had rain 3-4 days out of our week, but the entertainment staff is always around making sure you are having fun and there are plenty of things to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank David Z

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and for cominh here on your Honeymoon! We can only hope you decide to celebrate your Anniversary here too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#10 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!