“Excellent destination for honeymoon”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I surprised my Wife with this trip and booked up the Resort as it was highly recommended.

After digging around and doing my research I found this place. I would highly recommend the Honeymoon Suite as it has an awesome view of the sunrise as well as the additional privileges.

Good Points
All restaurants were excellent, food and service was outstanding. The choice of food was amazing.
The choice of drink were exceptional and with a good premium choice such as Grey Goose.
Staff were extremely polite throughout our stay. special shout out to Roberto on block 27 and Andreas in the preferred bar.

Bad Points
The fact that men had to wear long pants at dinner in weather that I am not used to kind of put me off eating out in the restaurants. I think managements should understand that the heat is way above average for people coming from the abroad making it sometimes an uncomfortable dining experience.

I would recommend this place to most people and would have booked my parents for this place but knowing my father, he would be uncomfortable with wearing long pants to dinner.

Overall I would go back hear mainly because the staff hospitality.

Room Tip: block 27 sea front view.
2  Thank Amit C
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We would like to mention we have a dress code in our evening restaurants to keep the ambiance elegant. We look forward to your return.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,920)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I have been to other all-inclusive resorts before, and we had an idea in our head of what to expect. We knew it would be a fun time with great food and drink and lots of good shows and activities. But our expectations were all extremely surpassed. First of all, the beach is truly the best beach I've seen. It has white sand, crystal clear blue water, and a variety of beach seating options in addition to lots of fun beach and water activities (led by the best entertainment crew ever...I'll get there soon). I'm having a hard time imagining paying more to go elsewhere for beach fun when we can go here for a much better price and experience. The pools are beautiful and right near one another with a swim-up bar in one. There are lots of activities for all ages and types of people, and we had fun trying what we could. The food and restaurants were top-notch. I only wish we had more days to try all of the restaurants. The drinks were also wonderful, and my husband and the friends we went with were all surprised at the superior quality of drinks and liquor served. The rooms were a perfect size with a big spa tub, comfortable bed, and very clean. The resort overall was a perfect size and easy to navigate. It was big enough to feel grand yet small enough to feel intimate.

The staff was by far the best staff we have encountered. There was Freddy in The World Cafe, Jonatan at the Hibitsu Hibachi grill, David at Portofino, and Raul at Oceana who all very kind, sincere, and well-trained. Our concierges Jean, Fabiola, and Pau really cared about our experience and made extra touches like putting additional mild roast coffee in our room since they knew we liked it.

Cesar, Jordan, Ivan, Fernando, Israel, Fermin, and Paulina on the entertainment staff made our stay truly unique. We wouldn't have had near as much fun if it wasn't for them. They made a point to remember us and seek us out as well for fun activities they knew we would love. They all truly have an ability to get you motivated and excited, while at the same time creating a feeling of peace and ease. We would go back just to see them again, but the overall experience was one hard to match. I love trying new things and new places, but I think we will have a hard time wanting to venture out when we know there is spectacular quality right here at Secrets Maroma Beach.

Room Tip: The swim-up room was wonderful and fun for a private swim, but we found ourselves obligated to use i...
5  Thank JLJones_10

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and we are very happy the staff made your stay!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have been to other secrets before and this - by far - is the best... I just wanted to share couple of things for you...

Food: You would not get really high quality food in ``all inclusive`` deals but here YOU WILL... We were at secrets cancun before and ended up eating out almost every night because of the quality.
but here we loved the food...

Room service : If they say 35 minutes, they will come around 30.. Again it is perfect.

Internet : PERFECT... at least at the junior suites it was... If you run a business like I do and need to be on video conference calls time to time, you can... Just out of curiosity i checked the speeds, 2-3mb upload, 1-2mb download... It is really hard to come by in a hotel room... Each room has a separate extender so you are not sharing, at least your signal, with 100 other people..

Concierge : Hotel is divided to different buildings. Each building has about 20 rooms (I did not count it, i am just guessing) Each building has one assigned concierge which is great because you have a concierge that knows you from check-in... So the usual problem of ``who did you talk before_ what did they say, let me check sir etc`` is never an issue... Our concierge Christina (I hope this was her name (Building 25 - Blonde blue eyed lady) was just fantastic.. Thank you so much.. I was organizing a surprise party for my wife`s birthday and she handled everything...

Staff : They are all great.. But here is the thing, I little bit of over kill going on... Some may even appear as rude but trust me they are not. They are just overly nice... Let me give you an example; I was looking for my wife at the spa, I just wanted to give my room number and walk in.(My club membership includes free spa access) A guy came with a walkie talkie... and here is the conversation...
- What is her name sir?
- Ok follow me pls..
he showed me the relaxation room and
- Sit here pls..
(What if i dont want to:)))))
- My friend I know where my wife is, she is at the hydro - (He cuts me)
- Sit sit I come quick..
any way he came back with my wife and she was also surprised to be dragged to relaxation room... But trust me he was ONLY trying to make sure we found each other.. So they are very very nice but as said a little bit over kill... in any case i would prefer this to being ignored....

Adults only hotel - which was a great thing for us... No one under 18 is allowed.. if you dont have kids or they are old enough not to travel with you, this is the place to go...

Romantic dinner by the beach - The food AGAIN was great.. service amazing, prices are reasonable... but just be aware you will book 2 hours window.. so if you are having so much fun - we were - it will be nicely, gently cut off because they have to get ready for the next party. Again they were really nice and feeling almost sorry asking us to leave... no complaints, they were doing their jobs...just sharing...

We had only one problem, not the hotel but part of the company Unlimited Vacations... They will try too hard to sell.. We got the club membership 2 years ago in another secrets and they were really easy going and relaxed.. This time they tried to upgrade our membership to diamond.. Ricardo and Oliver.. just watch out those two names.. they left a really bitter taste and we made our complaints to the company.. but this review is about to hotel so no need for details here...

So basically we can wait to go back... highly recommended...

5  Thank Ike O
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and five star rating! We look forward seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed at Secret's Maroma Beach Resort and can't say enough good things about it. The food was amazing with many choices in each restaurant. No two dinners tasted the same. The food was high end and beautifully displayed.
The staff was the best part of our experience. Everyone was helpful, funny and kind. All staff was willing to go above and beyond their regular job duties to make our stay perfect.
The beaches were excellently manicured and fresh towels were always available.
The complementary honeymoon package was a nice surprise.It included champagne on arrival, a romantic dinner on the beach followed by turn-down service and a heart of rose petals , a couples massage and breakfast in bed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cinder87

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and five star rating!

We hope to have you back on your first anniversary!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Have stayed in several all inclusive resorts and this was the best! Resort had a lot more day time activities than other adult only resorts. Great service, all employees I spoke with had very good English and went out of there way to help me with my Spanish! Very clean, especially the public bathrooms. Pool side AND beach side bar servers! Several different bars and lounge atmospheres to match your mood! There were old married couples and newly weds equally, all very fun. Food was very good. Lessened learned on the restaurants; go right when they open (6 or 6:30) because dinner is an experience! Takes 2 hrs and they don't take reservations except for the Asian cook in front of you. If you go after 7, expect to wait 1 to 1 1/2 hr depending on restaurant then 2 hrs to eat. All restaurants are small with few tables. And they rotate close different restaurants on a schedule. Will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Our room was closer to the beach and on the ground floor. Swim up pool amazing. No issues with noise
2  Thank Blairtraveler

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and five star rating. Please let us know when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Maroma Beach for our honeymoon and had e most amazing time!!! The staff we great, food fantastic & our room totally amazing.
The beach has the perfect atmosphere, not as busy as cancun or playa del carmen. It's a bit of a odd route up to the hotel, but once we were there it was great! We booked preferred club ocean view and would recommend it. Preferred club private check in, concierge services and the rooms have the better views. Although the swim out rooms looked nice, they didn't give you those breathtaking views of the beach. So if ur undecided id go win the view. I'll always remember mornings having coffee on my balcony.
Even tho it's all inclusive, we always tipped if we were waited on. $1 drink by the pool, $4 server at diner, & $4 for in room dining.
Anyways, the best holiday we ever had. X

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
3  Thank Law02004

Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your review! We look forward seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I thought long and hard on this one whether to give the resort 4 or 5 starts and ultimately decided the one downside to the place is actually nothing to do with the resort, it's facilities, levels of service and quality.
The food is really very good for an all inclusive (Japanese was superb), and the wines and drinks included in the package are premium brands and of a high standard. There a variety of restaurants and places to eat and a nice coffee bar to escape the crowds.
The service of all the staff is pretty much faultless. Friendly without being intrusive and extremely attentive. Learn a little Spanish, it goes a long way here with the Mexicans who are lovely. There is plenty of entertainment on should you wish to get involved he throughout the day and night.
Do go on some tours - it's a beautiful region with Mayan ruins, underground water caves to swim in and dolphin and turtle swimming made our honeymoon very special.
The beach here is sensational, with sailing and kayaks for those that want to be active and the water and sands are beautiful. Private cabanas at extra cost are well worth hiring to get away from the noisy pool.
This brings me to the one downside to the resort which is the drunken and loud mainly American tourists downing shots and cocktails all day by the pool. Now everyone has a right to let their hair down on holiday and have fun but as honeymooners I'd prefer a more tranquil ambience and environment personally. However this was easily avoided by going to the beautiful beach which never seemed very busy which suited us perfectly. Like I said, not really a fault of the resort.
All in all, a great resort and thoroughly recommended as a honeymoon resort and region.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank RussH79

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for recommending our resort to other travelers! We hope to have you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#12 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!