“Wonderful vacation at secrets Maroma beach”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just got back from vacation June 5-12 weather was great.

We had a wonderful vacation here. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Great service! Stayed in preferred club so close to all pools and beach and our room concierge Antonio such a great guy. Also, Israel at the pool (and other places) what a fun guy. Got me up out of my chair in the pool doing everything. The place is soooooo clean and the grounds breath taking. The best part was the beach ..........white powder sand. Fish come up to you to feed in ocean and we loved the Coati. The eco-friendly environment was a breath of fesh air all around us in the rain forest. Just beautiful. Food was good, could of been better to my taste, but all in all 5 stars for secrets Maroma beach. Also, the manager Rafael Cordova Great Great Guy. Always around grounds talking to people see everyone happy. Will be back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pat b
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Mrs. B,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and feedback.

We are really happy to be located around this special environment and beach and we will take care of that always.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your vacations a lot!

If you want to come back , don't hesitate to contact me. It will be a pleasure to help you with your requests.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,736)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

It was our 16th anniversary. Was not excited about going to Mexico, but this was an amazing experience. Beautiful hotel, great service, lots of entertainment...perfection. Our reservation got mixed up a bit somehow, and they went above and beyond to make sure we were happy.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main building over the Disco! We had to move the after our first night there...Y...
1  Thank TraciGaynorfun

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us!

We are glad to know you enjoy your vacations with us.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

First let me say that I am the kind of person to read every review and I am very grateful to those who take the time to write these reviews so I am paying it forward with my own honest review of Secrets Maroma

Of course after you read all the reviews in here you go into the hotel with high expectations....here are a few thoughts that I have about our honeymoon. We stayed from June 9-15th. We had a swim out corner room (1510) - more about that below.

Arrival:
The long road (which is fully paved) builds the excitement up for you. As you pull up to the front you are welcomed with smiling faces and immediately you feel like royalty. Upon walking into the lobby you are again welcomed with a smile, a cold glass of champagne (with a cherry) and a cold towel. Now, I was expecting all of this from reading the reviews however, to my surprise, the cool towel SMELLED AMAZING!! I couldn't stop sniffing the towel as the young woman checked us into our room. We were taken from the check in desk further into the lobby and was given a seat right in front of the bar. I knew what was coming...the "sales pitch". We were given two more drinks and I allowed the nice man to ask us if we wanted to "celebrate the 10 yr anniversary" by going to a breakfast...."you get a free dinner on the beach, a massage, Ect Ect Ect". We kindly finished our second drink and said no thank you. We were "set free" and the bellhop was ready with our bags to take us to our room.

Hotel room:
Our room was 1510 - this is an end swim out room. The last room right before the preferred suites. Location was awesome. Very close to the beach and pool and a 2 minute walk to the lobby/dining area/spa. Upon entering the room I could smell the typical "musty" smell that I associate with every hotel room I ever stayed at in Mexico (or any hotel near the ocean for that matter). I admit, I was a little bit surprised by the smell and also a but disappointed I had assumed that after reading all the reviews on here I wouldn't have to worry about that smell. If you have a super sniffer (like me) just beware of this. If I would have known I would have brought a small candle to burn. There was incense in the room which I burned constantly however it didn't completely mask the smell (and I am not the biggest fan of incense). There were beautiful flowers in the room along with champagne on Ice. Very nice touches. The bed was surprisingly comfortable but the pillows were awful - the goose down pillows would get so flat!!! The shower was also a bit disappointing....I expected it to be a bit bigger with a better shower head! The water pressure was so intense! I love a powerful shower but this was almost hurtful on your sunburned shoulders! The swim out pool was probably our favorite part of the room. It was a good temp and after baking in the sun all day it was nice to come back in the afternoon to a little shade. Other things to note: fridge was filled with cornitas, water, soda and juice. While we loved the beer, we would of loved full sized beers or even some small bottles of vodka for mixing with the soda/juices. Then espresso machine was nice to have as well. The "secrets box" always came in handy for morning breakfast in the room without having to worry about a knock on the door.

Beach/pool
There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. It is a beautiful beach with amazing sand that is never hot!!! The water is warm and calm and great for just waddling in. Things I should mention: the service at the beach and pool were amazing!!! I never had to leave my chair to get a drink!!! They even have pool side/beach side menus that you can order from!! Again...this made us feel like royalty! No drink ever went empty without another drink being put in front of you. I loved sitting by both the beach and the pool - both have amazing views. Yes, the "party pool" can get loud but it made for amazing people watching. You do not have to participate in the events because just watching the people is entertainment in itself!!!!

The food:
Like others have noted the Mexican was probably the worst place we ate at. The italian had some pretty strange italian food (beef ravioli in brown sauce) the French restaurant was very good. We ate at the hibachi table - very good! Our favorite meal was the "romantic dinner" on the beach. We had the 7:30 seating (perfect as the sun is just starting to set). Everything was just wow. The service, the view, the food and the yummy champagne. We dined under the "honeymoon" and this was all around a very special memory for us. Now, I will say that the food all around (breakfast/lunch/dinner) was very good. I was happy with mostly everything I ate however for whatever reason both me and my husband had "travelers stomach" which was very annoying!!!! We are unsure of the reason since the food was very good (ice in the frozen drinks maybe???) but it certainly put a bit of a damper in each of our days being we couldn't be too far from our bathroom after each meal. Also, I found it to be very hot inside the resturants. After being in the sun all day all you want is to cool off at dinner!!

The spa-
Everything everyone says is true - it's an amazing spa!!! There was a mix up when I arrived (they said my husband cancelled my appointment - which he didn't) but they were able to still accommodate me. Prices are a little high but again well worth it!!!!

The staff/entertainment:
Different shows every night! I was excited to get my "sundial" paper to see what the next evening had in store. Our favorite show was "affair". I was so shocked to see how hard these people work and in the HEAT!! These people are dancing and moving around and giving it their all and I'm sitting in my seat just sweating! Just wow!!! I was truly impressed by the passion these people had! These people are in like every show every night too!!! My hat goes off to those girls and guys for working hard each and every night!

The best for last! The staff!!! I know it's already been said but this staff is what makes this place awesome and quite frankly is what would bring us back for another stay at Secrets Maroma!!! Edwardo (pool) was the first smiling face I saw in the mornings. He remembered our names and even remembered that my husband wanted the umbrella up, that I wanted a pool floatie and that we both wanted 2 waters and an extra towel for our head! He even knew how I liked my chair! Now that is first class service!!!! Ivan (Bruno Mars) works his butt off. You will see this guy in the morning, noon and night. Always with a smile, always cracking a joke and always making you feel like a friend. When walking thru the resort you will never walk past someone that works there without hearing "hola" or "buenos Diaz". These are some of the hardest working people I have ever encountered! We made sure to tip everyone we came across as they all truly deserved it!!!

We will be back for a visit even with the few "negatives" above. No place is perfect but secrets maroma sure does come close! Hopefully they give the place a "face lift" and the staff remains the same!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank tanchica4u

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback regarding your stay at Secrets Maroma Beach.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the most time of your stay, and also thank you for letting us know your opinion about our services and staff.

We will review your comments with our team in order to keep improving our services.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We visited Secrets Maroma Beach last Summer - June 2013. We went for our honeymoon and we're big fans of the Secrets brand.

The pros:
We loved our swim out room, the Japanese restaurant, and the beach bed service. The beach bed service is only $40 a day and it's a must do. The "butlers" they have at the beach bed area do an amazing job and truly make you feel like a VIP. Make sure you book your beach beds as soon as you arrive. We only did it for two days of our stay, but I wish we would've done it for the entire trip.
The cons:
I am not sure how well the water is filtered there (The hotel is located on like a nature preserve.) and we stayed slightly ill the entire time we were there. In addition, I didn't love all the restaurants. The breakfast was amazing (true to all Secrets resorts), but the lunches were just ok. Of all the restaurants the Mexican and Japanese restaurant were our two faves. It rained a couple of days during our vacation and we were honestly slightly bored those two days. One day when it rained the staff immediately began taking up the cushions that were on the pool side loungers and it seemed like they were discouraging everyone to go inside. The layout of the hotel was also kind of odd and felt very much like a big slab of concrete was put into the jungle. Finally, the turn down service / room clean up service was very sloppy. Also, one of the big bragging points of this resort was that every room had their own personal concierge. We saw him one time during our 5 day stay.

If you're looking into a Secrets resort this is not my top choice.

Room Tip: The swim out rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nina K
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your feedback with us.

We have our own system of filtered water and we follow high standards and quality in food and water.

We feel sorry to know that the resort doesn't fulfill your expectations, as you know we are not able to control the weather conditions, however we provide different activities to make sure people can still enjoying their vacations.

If you decide to give us another chance, we will be happy to follow up with your reservations personally and make sure you enjoy your stay with us.

Secrets Maroma Beach

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 10days for our honeymoon and it was perfect in every way.the staff are all spot on and very helpful.if we didn't have kids at home we would def be rebooking :) the weather said it was going to be thundery all week but it was lovely n hot day and night!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Mrsdavidson2014
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear guest,

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your vacations!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon because it is adults only, close to attractions we hadn't yet seen, and had swim out rooms. This resort fulfilled those desires and more.
Arriving to the resort is a little scary. You travel down a one lane, bumpy road, passing buses and other vehicles as you can. Don't let it scare you too much because once you pull up to the hotel and are greeted by the fabulous staff, you'll know you're in for a wonderful vacation.
We were promptly whisked away on a golf cart and taken to the private club house (part of our honeymoon suite package). They greeted us with champagne and checked us in.

We were then taken to our room...it was awesome! A lovely floral arrangement was on the entry table. The room was clean and spacious and elegant. The first thing we did was throw on our suits and walk down to the beach. Unfortunately a storm was rolling in so we had to put off swimming til another day. It was time to try out the room side pool instead!

We spent the next few days on the beach and traveling to Tulum and Xel-Ha and swimming with dolphins. I highly recommend all three activities. Our Tulum and Xel-Ha trip was a one day trip and exhausting. It might have been better to take them on separate days, but we didn't have much time in Mexico.

The staff were great! Everyone was beyond polite. The activities were a blast. My husband and I watched the comedic magician, Dante. Then we watched an acoustic performance on the beach.

The food was pretty good. We mostly ate the buffet because someone is a picky eater. ;) I really enjoyed the Seaside Grill and Portofino.

A couple of things to be aware of. If you have a swim out room, you may get neighbors who hang out in the water, partying late at night. We experienced this the night before our trip to Tulum and Xel-Ha. We put up with it until 1:30am and then called the front desk as we had to get up at 5:30 or so for our trip. We were also close to a communal area, so we could hear a couple of weddings going on, but that seemed to settle down around 10:30. Not really a big deal unless you go to bed super early.

Over all, this was a wonderful resort. I would recommend it to anyone celebrating a special occasion or looking for a special getaway.

2  Thank ReplayRed

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to host you and receive your comments with your feedback.

Your opinion is really important for us.

Thank you again.

Social Media Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We are just back from our Honeymoon at SMB and oh my God, did we enjoy ourselves. From the moment we arrived we were "welcomed home", greeted with champagne and had our bags taken. Our room wasn't ready because of an early flight but we were given a pager and had full use of the facilities (most importantly the cocktail menu ☺️)

We were taken to our block (14 very central) and met our concierge ROCIO, who couldn't have been more accommodating if she tried. She showed us the facilities in the room (air con, secrets box, jacuzzi) and said she was available for any queries/bookings. She was true to her word, every query/request we made for the next 2 weeks were accommodated ASAP. She really is fantastic at her job, I can't praise her enough.

We headed to the pool after this and first met UMBERTO CHANG, we tend to pick an area of the pool on holiday and stick with it, so Umberto was our pool concierge for our entire holiday. He preempted every request we had (extra towels, umbrellas, delicious surprise ice cream) but more than that he took time every day to speak with us and made us feel like we were really appreciated. During our stay, there were a few issues with guests whom had an inflated sense of importance being abusive towards Umberto, (we had bad weather one day and umbrellas needed to come down, the guests refused then became abusive when their umbrella blew away!), he was professionalism personified in dealing with these irate guests.
He is a shining example of the SMB training.

The excellente entertainment team were absolutely fantastic, despite working long hours they were perpetually happy and had activities going all day long. I was in awe of their energy.

FERNANDO, IVAN, FERMIN and GABRIELLA were around all day offering Mexican games, volleyball (beach and pool), sushi making, spanish classes, pool backgammon, bungee jumping and dance lessons then all evening getting the crowd geared up for the evening entertainment and finally dancing the night away at Desires!
I can't praise this group enough for their boundless energy and positivity.

SMB, is amazing, it is every bit as stunning as the pictures but what sets it apart from other resorts is the fantastic staff.

We'll definitely be back!

3  Thank natasha w

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments!

We will pass them thru our team!

If you every decide to come back, don't hesitate to contact us.

Barbara Arribas

El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!