“Best Anniversary Celebration!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I will try to keep this short because everything at this resort was amazing so that won't take long to say! This was our first time to a Secrets resort however we have been to the Mayan Riviera 5 other times......Secrets exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed a relaxing and hot vacation amongst adults with our every need attended to. There were lots of food options and while we had our favourites ( Japanese and Mexican) we appreciated the quality of each choice and that there were a variety of options for us. We had a swim out Junior suite and LOVED IT - no more needs to be said.....I highly recommend these rooms! The entertainment team was so much fun, always enthusiastic, and encouraging participation to those perhaps reluctant to take part in the daily 'games' throughout the day. We loved that they also took the time to know our names and remembered us...they made our stay feel like home and that we were around friends. We would especially like to make a shout out for Ivan.....he made our trip memorable. Ivan we were so glad we had the opportunity to meet you and kick your butt in water volleyball haha..but seriously this guys works hard, is truly genuine in his interaction with the guests - so much fun to be around....thanks for everything Ivan ( aka BOB)
Pool - Never felt crowded and "Umberto" was amazing.....always addressed us by our names, helped us find our lounge chairs, and ensured we had our drinks &/or food needs met:) The personal touch so much appreciated.
Beach - the best we have experienced ....swimmable, soft sand, cool sand, clean, beautiful. It is no wonder is amongst the top 5 beaches in the world!
If there was one thing to complain about....it would be the 3 hr 'sales pitch' we attended on our first morning.....we were told it would be 90 min...so to take that extra time out of our holiday was a disappointment.
Overall our Secrets Maroma Beach vacation ( celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary) was a 10/10 and we highly recommend this resort with no hesitation :) We have stayed at many 5* hotels and you will not be disappointed with this one! Ignore those reviews that say otherwise -they are ridiculous:)

Room Tip: Swim out rooms!
1  Thank Ironbell
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear guest,

Is nice to know that your Anniversary was perfect here at Secrets Maroma Beach!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we will review your comments regarding the Unlimited Vacation Club.

We will share them with the UVC Manager in order to keep improving our services.

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights following an enjoyable but fairly exhausting tour of Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Relaxation was immediate. The unlimited all inclusive was so welcome as the service was amazing. All staff are so welcoming and make you feel special as the other reviews have mentioned. I will just try to add a few comments that may be helpful.

Beach - beautiful turquoise waters fringed by soft white sand. Cleaned of seaweed and debris daily by hotel staff. No hawkers. Lovely walk to the headland. Lots of activities for those inclined.

Pools - on long infinity pool looking onto the beach with a little vegetation in between. This backs onto a larger pool with swim up bar. Floats are available so no need to take an airbed. Plenty of loungers and towels. Pool/bar staff on hand immediately to serve your needs throughout the day.

Hotel - approx. 40 minutes from airport. A bit bigger than I imagined however plenty of room and did not feel overcrowded. The gardens are gorgeous and I loved observing the local wildlife (iguana and mischievous coatimundi)

Restaurant/Bars - all food and drink was of a high standard. Our personal favourite was Portofino (Italian). If like me you like your fish well cooked, I would recommend you mention this when ordering as they tended to serve is rather undercooked for my taste. The house wines are all lovely and are included in the package so it is not necessary in my opinion to pay extra for more upmarket brands. No table reservations are generally required and if you turn up before 7pm you will usually have your choice of eating inside or out. At busy times, you are given a pager and called when they are ready for you. This works extremely well and we never had to wait more that 15 minutes anyway.

Entertainment - there is a theatre stage which hosts a different live show every night. You can also watch a box office movie on the big screen . If you are not keen on live shows etc, I don't think you would know they were going on . We certainly didn't hear any noise from the restaurants or our room (2347) which is fairly near the main lobby complex.

Rooms - I would recommend you try for an Oceanview suite ( I think these are mainly on the fourth floor) however those looking out onto the tropical vegetation, also had a lovely view. I personally don't think the swim-out rooms would be for me as they are on the ground floor (so with the exception of those on the beachfront), you cannot see the ocean. The swim-out pool also tended to be in the shade for much of the day and were not private as shared with the rest of the rooms on that floor (I'm guessing 8 rooms).

My only gripe (and this is seriously minor) is that the mini bar is only stocked with soft drinks and beer. We asked our concierge if we could have wine or spirits in our fridge however you have to call room service for these; this said, it is 24/7 but not quite as convenient as a few miniatures in your room.

In summary, we feel completely spoilt. We have travelled and had the fortune to stay in many 5 star hotels - this rates as one of the best in my opinion.

4  Thank Pernickety

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments, we will review your suggestion regarding the minibar in order to see what can we do to improve it.

Thank you for your visit and we are happy to know that you love your stay!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Ok here we go. Ignore the other bad reviews.I will try to be as detailed as I can be. My wife and I stayed for 7 days at secrets maroma beach. In a nutshell it was incredible. We didn't see one drop of rain the entire trip. The grounds and facilities were amazing. Idk what the other people on this thread are talking about. But the landscaping was beautiful and the whole place was quiet and peaceful. The employees worked so hard and there's so many little things they do that no one even sees.

If you stayed around the pool areas during the day it was very humid and hot but if you were in a bathing suit it didn't matter. And the water was great in the pools. The beach is where is the best. The chairs are so comfortable and the wind is always blowing keeping you cool. The cabanas... Not worth the money. The chairs are even closer to the water and there are beds on ropes that overlook the beach that are free to use. It was amazing. Always sunny and water was perfect. Great walking bech. The service at both the pool and beach was fantastic. They always asked if you wanted anything and I felt very taken care of.

Our room was perfect. The AC worked great and the bathroom was big enough for 2 and always had great water temp and pressure. The only complaint for the room was if you are in your room with your do not disturb light on then housekeeping will skip you. It completely did not bother us. It only happened 2 days and they came by during turn down service and cleaned.

The restaraunts were fantastic. The Italian is the nicest and most romantic followed by the French. Men- bring more than 1 pair of long pants if you want to go to the nicer places to eat. I didn't know how i feel about it. But after a long day of being in swim trunks it was nice to get dressed up and go eat and go to the shows in nicer clothes. The waiters at the restaraunts were so extremely nice. We found that if you ate before 7 you got right in and the waiters focused just on you because there was no one else there yet. Food came out very quick and was always amazing. Ignore those reviews that say food was bland. We were in food paradise all week. The world cafe has an incredible breakfast and lunch buffet. We discovered this on day 3 and didn't go anywhere else for breakfast. I wish I could give you every detail but it would take all day.
The shows and entertainment team were great. No they are not broadway quality and it's ok. Your on vacation and it's fun to see everything and go the nightly entertainment
The preferred club- yes we did it. There is lots of controversy over this. My travel agent got me a great deal on this and I took it. The bar is the best on the property. Everytime we went in it wasn't crowded at all and they took time and talked and laughed with us. It was great. Andres who was the bartender for 3 years in there but said he was being moved to the club was our favorite person on the property. He was so funny and so nice and could make the best drinks Iv ever had. We looked forward to seeing him everyday and I hate he was being moved. The check in and check out process was worth it in itself. There was no waiting or games. And out consierge came and took us to our room. Our consierge was roger for building 16 and he was so great. He always greeted us by name and he helped me set up the dinner on the beach and spa times and always made sure we had everything.
I'm really trying to cover all the bases here and I'm sorry for info Iv missed.

Tipping- this was another controversy in the reviews. So what I did is tipped everywhere. I was a waiter at one time so I know what it means to them. They worked so hard for us. So for breakfast and lunch I tipped around 3 dollars because it was mainly just filling up drinks and taking away plates. For the pool and beach waiters. I tipped about 3 to 5 depending on how much and how often we ordered drinks. And for dinner 5 to 10. Some night think you shouldn't have to because of the all inclusive. But when the service is so friendly good and quick I feel it's rude not to tip. I enjoyed tipping and they all seemed so appriciative. I would have tipped more but were newlyweds and money is tight. But they deserved it.

We did sit through the timeshare thing on our 4th day. It was brutal but we received 100$ to the spa and used it so it was worth it. That's all il say about that.

All in all this place is worth every penny and we were treated like royalty.
What Iv noticed from these reviews is if you are a person that complains about everything your not going to be happy no matter where you go. Don't set extremely high expectations because your asking for disaster and you won't enjoy yourself at even the most expensive trips.

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank LoganDr

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and kind comments!

We work really hard to make sure everybody enjoy their time at paradise and we also like to receive feedbacks to keep improving our services.

It will be a pleasure to host you if you decide to come back!

Thank you again for your visit!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is one of those experiences in life that there just isn't enough words to describe. Shortly the place is amazing, people, beach, pools, room, restaurants, entertainment, everything. Service is so good that you don't need to think or do much anything, it just happens, you just go with the flow. We spend our 10th anniversary there and I wish we could do it every single year. Traveled from Finland and would travel instantly again if we had the chance. Special greetings to Sinuhe, you're so sympathetic and happy going. Really loved your tequila tasting session! And your big city joke about Mexico City with oneliner "Hey Miguel, how's your family?" is now a living legend with me and my wife :)

One tip, I highly recommend morning walks on the beach, it's close to 'out of body' experience

p.s. Remember to tip, they really deserve it :)

Room Tip: We had an upper room so we could see the beach and the resort from the balcony, but I think where ev...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Esa K

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and for sending us your feedback!

We would love to host you once a year!

Secrets Maroma

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a trip with friends to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. The beach is gorgeous, but the positives stop there. The resort looks like it used to be really nice, but management is obviously trying to cut costs and service was not up to par compared to other resorts in the area. When we arrived our rooms were not set up correctly. After battling for over three hours we finally came to the realization the hotel would not be accommodating. Upon arriving to our room there were decorations for my wife's birthday with a cake sitting out ready for our arrival. As we approached the cake we noticed it was moving. It was covered in ants. We now live in Florida and are used to bugs but this was literally covered. The pool has rafts which they promptly collect at 5:30 even though you are still using them. The pool closes at 8pm and pool bars close at 6pm. They obviously trying to herd the crowds. Tons of birds on the property and you had to fend them off from your food or drinks. None of the restaurants or main areas were cool. Again we are from Florida but were dying from the heat everywhere. The restaurants do not take reservations and every night the wait was a minimum of an hour. Lastly the service was terrible. Any time you asked for something that was not listed they were put off like you were asking for something completely outlandish. Even something as simple as pushing two tables together. Every resort I have stayed at they seem to go out of their way to accomplish whatever you may ask for and this was the opposite. To top it all off myself and another guy in our party ended the trip with a terrible case of montezuma's revenge.

Compared to Excellence Playa Mujeres which we visited last year you would think we paid half the price however this place was more expensive. I would recommend either of the Excellence properties hands down if you were looking for an all inclusive in Mexico. I travel very often and felt the service I receive at a basic courtyard marriott was better than what we received here.

• Stayed: June 2014
12  Thank ZachNj

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and for sharing your feedback with us.

We feel sorry to know that we couldn't fulfill your exceptations and we would love to have the chance to host you once again as this is not the tipical experience that our guests are used to share of Secrets Maroma Beach.

Our main goal is to make people happy and give them the best vacation they deserve. I put myself at your service and look forward hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had the best Honeymoon anyone could ask for at Secrets Maroma. The entire Entertainment team was a blast...Ivan, Isreal, Diana, Jordan, Jorge, Ferminator, Sasquatch... all of them! Our waiters at every restaurant were fantastic and catered to our every need. The food was phenomenal. We had a blast at the Hibachi restaurant as well. We were never without food, drink or entertainment. The entire staff was amazing :) We will miss everyone we came in contact with because they were all so accommodating and we did feel like we were home...and more so. We WILL be back!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Sarah M

Thank you very much!

Our goal is to creat memories and we are glad to know that you won't be able to forget your honeymoon because it was great!

Thank you for sharing us your feeback and we will be glad to host you in your anniversary!

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at secrets maroma and had the best experience that we have ever had at a resort. The food was exceptional. The beach was beautiful. And the customer service and workers there was amazing everyone was so friendly and warm. We will definitely be coming back here for an anniversary. It was so worth it and we made some amazing memories here. I highly recommend this resort and drinking the mango mimosa martini. Soooo delicious.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leann R

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for letting us know your that your Honeymoon with us was amazing!

Thank you for sharing your tips with other guests and please if you come back for your anniversary let me know!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!