“Awesome Honeymoon”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This resort was great from start to finish. The service was superior, the rooms were awesome, the food was above average, the bartenders were awesome, and the event staff made it fun 24/7. We would recommend it to anyone and go back any time!

2  Thank Nick M
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for recommending our resort to other travelers! We look forward having you
back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I went for a belated anniversary trip. The water is gorgeous, the beach nice. Our snorkeling experience was awesome. Not the usual get-in-a-van-and-travel-to-snorkel excursion. We walked into the ocean from Maroma's beach, got on the boat the resort had parked there and away we went! Our guide was excellent at finding sea creatures, including manta rays and sea turtles for us to see! We enjoyed being at the beach more than the pool and Arturo was our favorite. He was always helpful, always smiling and really is dedicated to making sure guests have an excellent time. His English is excellent! We look forward to going back for our 25th wedding anniversary this fall!

Room Tip: Being on the upper floors gave us a great view of the Cancun-blue ocean from our outdoor deck.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Suzanne D
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

We loved the tiltlle of your review and please, send us an email when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The resort was amazing and the staff was even better than that!! Treated us like gold and over the top service!! Rooms were fabulously luxurious and comfortable. We would definitely return again. Can't get over how amazing the food was and how many choices there were. And the Bbq's poolside rock. We spent the last day of our trip lounging on the poolside cabanas where the drink staff never failed to keep our drinks refreshing and cool.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Nanci T

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Although Disney promotes the Phrase "Be Our Guest" this was the first time that my Wife and myself truly FELT this experience on a daily basis at Secrets Maroma Beach. Our Stay was from July 8th until July 14th 2014

There are many reviews prior to ours that share the varied details and experiences So I will just highlight the few key points which I considered to make Secrets # 1 in the Cancun/ Riviera Maya/PDC area.

1) Very Attentive Staff - Waiters/Waitresses/Bartenders/Hostesses etc......
2) Top Shelf Food and Drink - Quality Meats / Brand Name Alcohol and great presentations
3) Best Shows ( Don't Miss the Rock Show or Cirque Affair) - Broadway Material
4) Great/ Energetic Entertainment Staff - Quiet Areas and Lively Areas all around beach or Pool
5) Little Details like walking around the pool area serving Pizza or Paella at Lunch Time
6) Fantastic Beach (White soft Sand / Wide Beach Area / Crystal Blue Water and no rocks)

we spent six nights in a swim out room in Building # 21 Which I thought was probably the most private and the most convenient. The Overall Experience at this resort was one of the best we have had with one exception which needs to be addressed.

THE ONLY ISSUE.......

Immediately after check-in we were handed off to the Hospitality person ( even though I told the registration desk Firmly that we not interested in their Vacation Timeshare). After being handed off, the individual stated he was aware and would not pressure us, Yet he wanted our Email and signature for discount Vouchers ( Which we also did Not want). The Next day we received a voice mail from the Hospitality desk misrepresenting themselves as our designated travel agent from Expedia wanting to confirm our excursion to chitnetza which was supposedly already booked and stating that we needed to also confirm our departure time with them. ( Needless to say we ignored them) Secrets Timeshare Management needs to understand that NOT Interested means just that

Secrets needs to change this little detail if they truly want to be a Five Star Resort which they work very hard towards achieving.

Room Tip: for a Swim Out Room Building 21 and Building 20 have a very nice Private Swimming Area and are Proba...
7  Thank Mark O

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments! If you notify the receptionist you did not wanted to be invited to the sales presentation, we always respect that. We wonder if it really was a different excecutive that contacted you.

I invite you to send me an email when you are ready to return and I will make sure you don't get invited to any sales presentation from the Unlimited Vacation Club.

The Pros

The hotel and the grounds are beautiful, the pool area is unique, very nicely laid out. The rooms are large and well appointed..although the AC refuses to go below 72 degrees..ever.

The beach is gorgeous, lots of white, soft sand, all types of blues and greens, dreamy

The service is quick, pleasant and nice, tipping, of course, doesn't hurt. At the beach I always had a drink in my hand, although the beer was never cold, anywhere.

Negatives

As has been mentioned before, this hotel caters to large wedding parties, there was at least one wedding each of the four days we were there. While there are no children, large groups of drunken guests fill the pool, loudly playing volleyball or some other staff directed activity..not sure if the kids would have been better.

There are between 5 and 6 dining options but since the place is crowded, and the restaurants don't take reservations, dinning between 7:30 and 8:30 requires about an hour wait. The funny thing is that each time we went into the dining rooms half the tables were empty. I guess people give their names, take their pagers and then go somewhere else to eat, but the hotel hasn't figured out a good way to deal with the issue.

The Food. This is not some foodie gourmet paradise.

The Mexican restaurant was very good, even the desserts were different, unexpected and delicious.

The French restaurant was disappointing. The waiter recommended the Lobster Thermidor and the Filet Mignon, while both these dishes are arguably "French" I was looking for something more authentic, there was nothing. I found foie gras on the menu and ordered it but it was predictably poor and for dinner two lamb chops, with a quarter size piece of meat, were cooked to death (asked for medium rare). My wife asked for the duck cassoulet, I would review the dish but I rather not relive the experience.

The Italian restaurant. After the experience of the French restaurant I was hesitant to go to the Italian but we read the menu and it sounded pretty good. The house made pappardelle with shredded braised beef and truffle oil brought back memories of the dish at Babbo, yes, I know, I'm a fool, but the waiter said that it was outstanding and so was the ossobuco . So I ordered them both. The pappardelle tasted homemade, I'll give them that. The beef was not braised and there was not a hint of truffle oil. The ossobuco was, bluntly, not ossobuco. Ossobuco is made of veal shanks, cross cut, or if you want to stay on budget, beef shanks, it is not, however made of the much cheaper lamb shank, which can't be cross cut because it's too thin and so it looks like a small turkey leg. Gremolata? you wish.

Let me take a small break and discuss the wine. Alcohol is included in the price here, unless you want premium champagnes or wines. The two red wines that are available and included in the price are a Mexican Cabernet which is not suitable for cooking and a Chilean Merlot that is. There is a wine list that is a total and complete ripoff. To illustrate I bought a Kaiken Ultra Malbec which retails for $23 and paid $90.

The main restaurant by the pool, which serves lunch, turns into a dinner venue where half the restaurant serves sea food and the other half is a steakhouse. I went to the steakhouse, it wasn't bad but I had a pork loin that, again, had been over cooked and was dry.

The breakfast buffet was the best meal, a great deal of selections including two egg stations and a crepe station. There were always a few mexican dishes, which is the reason I go to Mexico but mostly the guests stayed away from that.

For lunch one could go to the main buffet style restaurant, which again, had many options, including lobster and shrimp freshly grilled. There was a pool side buffet lunch which consisted of fajitas, burgers, pizza, wings and nachos with a velveeta style nacho cheese (sad) a sit down lunch restaurant pool side, a la carte, or you could order from a limited beach menu. You won't go hungry.

One last note. There is a sales job at the beginning, I think they have some sort of "fractional ownership" opportunity. I was very blunt and told the guy, nicely, that I had four nights and just wanted to sit by the beach and read but the fact that this is going on, at all, should tell you everything you need to know about this place.

9  Thank interterra
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for submitting your review and we regret not fulfilling your expectations as that is not what we aim for.

I would like to take the opportunity and speak with to see if we can make it better next time so you can feel as good as other guests do.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just returned from 11 days in Mexico. The first 6 days were at a different hotel. When we arrived at Secrets I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very beautiful. We had a swim up, not a very large room. The pools were nice the beach was awesome. Prior reviews gave the food bad ratings. The food was great! Very gourmet and delicious. From breakfast buffet, Seaside grill and all the restaurants. Loved the swing bar and all the bartenders. They really made may vacation fun.

Now the major ISSUE: We did bring this problem up when we checked out but, I think it went on deaf ears. We were on vacation with another couple and they also brought up the problem.

You cannot make reservations for dinner (only Hibachi) when we showed up for dinner the first night at 9;00 we were told 1hr 40 min French Restaurant and 1 hour Italian. Both restaurants were not filled. Every night even when went at 7:30 we had to wait at least a half hour. It was a ridiculous. We never made a show. On Wednesday we asked our concierge to set up Hibachi reservation. Only thing available was 9:30 Saturday night! This did ruin my evenings!!

The other hotel we stayed at was Excellence Playa Mujeres, this was never an issue. We stayed Secrets to try it out for next year.

5  Thank Ben H

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and let me just clear up our no reservations policy works actually for the better, we are sorry it was not like this in your case.

I would like to take the opportunity to correct this and see if there is anything we can do to get you back.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We originally traveled to Secrets Maroma Beach 3 years ago and thought highly of it then. However, this year was awesome! They totally exceeded our expectations.

First of all, hats off to our wonderful Concierge Jean Deschamps (hope I did not misspell that last name) - he was the Concierge in building 11. Our room was 1242 for the week of July 3-10. When the receptionist originally showed us our room location on the map as we were checking in, I frowned a bit thinking "that seems a bit far back and I asked for an ocean view room". We proceeded to the room and were wonderfully surprised at the beautiful view we had! The room was nice and cool on arrival as well and just gorgeous. The mini refrigerator was kept stocked and the bathroom amenities were plentiful (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) and smelled awesome. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows and the sheets smelled very clean and fresh every day. Some may find those things trivial on a vacation but just letting everyone know as an FYI.

The employees are all so friendly and work very hard in very hot weather - always a smile and always respond with "my pleasure" - you do not have to tip them, but please do if you go - they deserve it. Take a few $1 bills with you as you go to the beach and pool - they will be so grateful.

The beach is absolutely beautiful! Water is a beautiful aquamarine and so clean - sand is white soft sand - it's wonderful. The palapas were plentiful and the service as I said above, was great. They even come around with cold wet hand towels for everyone that smell heavenly.

They have two pool sections, we referred to them as the "busy" pool and the infinity edge/calm pool. We chose the infinity pool each evening coming up from the beach and enjoyed drinks there. Very peaceful and calm with a view of the ocean. Beach towels plentiful and the bathrooms on the grounds by the pool and beach are wonderful in that they provide not only soap, but lotion and antibacterial gel as well.

Also, enjoy the hammocks on the grouns! Grab a drink and relax in them - they're wonderful!

The food is very good. In the World Cafe (buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch should you not see anything you like set out, you can request a fresh omelette at the omelette station or fresh crepes, pancakes - very accommodating. At lunchtime, same applies as you can ask for fresh grilled fish, salmon, burger or steak. Loved their assortment of fruits, grilled vegetables and breads.

The restaurants in the evening are wonderful. Yes, you may have a wait - go relax and enjoy a drink at their great lobby bar or a coffee in the Coco Coffee Lounge if you prefer non-alcoholic beverages.

To note, you do NOT have to take part in and go on the promotional/informational presentation that is similar to a time share presentation. Just politely decline and tell them you are there for R&R and are not interested. They do offer you coupons to use while there and that takes about 10 minutes for them to tell you about. They may try to draw you in on the presentation, but again just politely decline if not interested.

Beautiful resort, Beautiful people! We did not want to leave!! We will definitely be back. Thanks Secrets Maroma Beach staff for a wonderful time!

Room Tip: We always request a room on the highest floor because we love views. They do provide swimout rooms...
7  Thank perk16

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We are always happy to take good care of guests like you! See you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!