“Simply Outstanding!!!!”

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Maroma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I’m back home and I can’t stop talking about this place. Secrets Maroma Beach is amazing. It was the 7th all inclusive we’ve stayed at, and it completely obliterates the rest. I won’t name the other resorts, but I will say that I’ve stayed at the upper grade all inclusive's of a couple other big names, and until going here I was content. Being honest, I balked at the price at first, thinking “a beach resort is a beach resort how much better could it be?” A lot better!!!!

Let’s start with food. At all inclusive’s, I’m accustom to breakfast and lunch buffets where you can find some things you like but nothing great, and dinners at restaurants you have to make reservations for, that are the quality you wish the rest of the food was. At Secrets Maroma Beach, the food is great!!! Here’s my scale, your typical neighborhood American chain like a Chili’s or Fridays would be a 5-6, and the best steak house in your city, like a Del Frisco’s, Morton’s, Capital Grille, would be a 9-10. The lunch and dinner here are a consistent 7-8 which I find phenomenal for an all inclusive. It’s a la carte, but you order whatever you want. We arrived just before lunch; my first meal was Sea Bass and Asparagus. I denounce and reject myself up front, but by the end if I couldn’t decided between 2 entrees, I just ordered and ate them both =) (I’m a cyclist, I need the extra calories) Now the kicker is that the breakfast buffet is a 10. The crepes are world class, the Belgian waffles have the perfect crispness to them, the eggs are scrambled well, and the bacon has a healthy thickness to it (Don’t forget the morning Mimosa =). Eating is one of my favorite things, and I have to tell you, I looked forward to waking up for breakfast every morning. Now based on talks with others, my understanding is that the break buffet is better than the room service breakfast so just keep that in mind if you choose not to go out for breakfast. It’s worth mentioning that there are 4-6 restaurants, but the only one you need to make reservations for is the Hibachi grill due to capacity issues, I only saw 2 grills in the restaurant.

On the wait staff and bartenders, they were also great. While dining, I always had more than I needed. Over a whole week, I don’t remember my glass making it to empty. Also, I’m disappointed in myself for not speaking other languages besides English, but it wasn’t even an issue here, as everyone spoke great English. No matter if we were at the beach or pool, someone checked on you every 15-20 minutes. Not only would they bring you drinks, they would also bring you food!!! No matter where you were hanging out, someone was taking care of you. You never had to move unless you wanted to because the staff is on top of it.

2 Thumbs up to the room, we stayed on the first floor in a swim out and it great. We shared the swim out with 8 other rooms, 1 of which had our travel buddies. We found that the resort is sized so well, that we typically used it alone with our friends, but the couple times other people were there it was fine, because it has a good size on it. Maid service came twice a day, once around 9am-10am, and again at 6pm-8pm while you’re at dinner. That doesn’t sound like a big deal but it is, helps keep things neat, clean, and romantic for your return =) The room also a “Secrets box”, which is like a double sided cabinet next to the front door. If you have room service, but don’t want to get dressed you can just have them leave it in the cabinet which can be unlocked from your side, its great!!! It’s really the detail when it comes to the room; they leave you 2 pair of terry cloth slippers which make it so much better walking on the tile floor. I can’t stress how awesome room service is. If it’s one of the few times a day between meals, or you just don’t feel like going out, you can order room service. Since we were hanging out with our buddies in the swim out we would order like 6-7 plates of food at time between meals, ranging from shrimp tacos, to crème brulee, it gets there 30-45 minutes after you order. Have to note here the room has a cordless phone so you don’t have to get out the pool (all smiles). Nearly forgot, the room has some type of auto thermostat, It works so well, I forgot thermostats existed, now that I look back, I just know that I was in my room and super comfortable every time I was there.

The resort is pristine, like it opened last month. While walking around we saw them painting a few areas, I guess someone inspects it regularly, and anything that’s lack luster or faded must be replaced or fixed immediately. This is huge; there were very very few bugs, which is incredible. Mosquitoes eat me alive so this is the type thing I notice. Over a week I used no bug repellant, and was not bitten once. Not one time did I have to swat anything away from my food or drink. This resort is surrounded by mangroves/ marshy area, so whatever they’re doing is no easy feat. I saw them fogging the foliage one day, but they must also have some sort of ultra sonic barrier or something, because its paradise. Also they have the perfect amount of everything. We didn’t have to wake up early to stake out beach chairs or pool spots, like we’ve had to do at other resorts. You just glide through the day on your own accord and everything works out here!!!
Other guests and the entertainment staff were also great. It seems that most people there were on an anniversary, honey moon, or wedding. This was great for us, because everyone was there to have a good time, but no one was obnoxious, or spring breakey. The entertainment staff was very friendly, but not pushy if you didn’t want to participate in the games or activities. And finally the night show performances where incredible, specifically the trapeze act. It was like a miniature Cirque Du Soleil, I’ve never seen such a talented resort staff. While there I asked as many other guests as I could if they had ever been to a place this nice, no one had.

O yeah, the resort was so nice I almost forgot to mention the beach. Apparently it ranks #3 in the world. The sand is white, and the water is crystal clear. There were no rocks anywhere, and the sand just easies into the water with no sudden drop offs. Learned this while there, a benefit of white sand is that it doesn’t get hot in the sun light, so your feet are always cool. The resort rents kayaks for free, you can take them out solo, or go on one of 2 daily group trips out to the reef about a half mile off shore. On one of our solo trips we saw a sea turtle.

In closing, it’s not if we’re going back its just when. This resort was so great, that I would have a hard time trusting someone else’s judgment on another resort if they haven’t been here first, and that’s saying a lot!!!

20  Thank Arthur C
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear guest,

I seemed like you are our fan! We loved your review and can't wait to have you back.

There are newer reviews for Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I looked at quite a few places for our honeymoon but SMB kept popping up on lists of top resorts so we decided to spend the extra money and do it (I even convinced him to do 7 nights instead of 5!) - I'm SO glad we decided to spend the extra money for this resort. We had a swim out room which was pretty awesome - especially when I crashed the day we got there and took a nap, gave my husband something to do without leaving me alone :) The staff was so welcoming from the minute we stepped off the shuttle - I love that everyone tells you "Welcome home"...it really did feel like home while we were there. I'm definitely glad we rented one of the beach cabanas for a day - I actually tried to see if we could get one for our last day there too but they were already sold out. Arturo and Marco took AWESOME care of us that day and Arturo even took my name so he could let me know if someone cancelled for Saturday. Our concierge Yanin was fantastic -always able to answer any questions we had and super welcoming. The entertainment staff is awesome - how they remember names of everyone is amazing. Jordan played my husband in a ping pong tournament and he remembered us the rest of the trip. Anytime he saw us it was "Hey Jon!" Ivan was also great - we didn't realize when we met him during a kayak tour that he was on the entertainment staff but again was great with names, checking on us at the pool to make sure we didn't need anything. Diana was hilarious during the Guacamole class (LOVE her!). And I can't forget Fermin and Israel!
The food was fantastic...we almost skipped the Italian restaurant because we have such good Italian in STL but kept hearing people talk about it so we decided to give it a shot...SO glad we did, could definitely stand up the Italian from home.
The beach was amazing...I couldn't stop taking pictures of it while we were there. The sand is pristine and the water is amazing.

4  Thank KSSchroeder

Dear guest,

We are very happy you've decided to spend your Honeymoon here and can't wait to receive an email letting us know you will be celebrating your first year anniversary.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My Husband and I spent our Honeymoon @ Secrets Maroma Beach. We had an amazing time. Food was great. Staff was wonderful and you cant beat the scenery. It was our first all inclusive and I am not sure we will go anywhere else now that we have been to the best. We had a 3rd floor room and our view was amazing. Im sure a swim out room or porch Jacuzzi would be amazing but I don't think we would have traded our room for that. All depends on what your into. I could go on and on about how great this place is but my words would not do it justice. I say "see it for yourself"!!!! Thank you Secrets for the memories and see you next year for our 1 yr anniversary!

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors offer amazing views if you don't care about the swim out pool or Jacuzzi. Eac...
3  Thank kristen c

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful words! We hope to see you on your Anniversary and please send us an email when you are ready to return.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is our 3rd trip to Mexico and the first to Maroma. Wife and I spent 5 days at Maroma and could not have been more pleased. Thou we never took him up on much Roberto or someone from the resort was there for us 24/7. The property was amazing and we enjoyed just about every inch of it. I would recommend Maroma and more importantly "Roberto" and building "27" to anyone looking to have a trouble free vacation. We ran into an issue when leaving where my wife left her cell phone outside on the bench. Victor at the front desk went out to find it, took the time to send an employee to the airport, then all the way to customs to get us our phone back. Who could possibly ask for more than that! I am sure any other resort would have offered only to mail it if even bother to go find the phone. The airport was a 45 minute drive one way plus the hassle to find us. All I can say is WOW, what a cap to an already impressive week who does that this day and age. I even received a personal phone call from Roberto making sure I recovered my missing phone when I was back home.
Daryl & Julie Stillman
St. Louis MO

Room Tip: We stayed near the ocean so all parties could be herd from the beach. If you did not know there was...
7  Thank Daryl S

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review and I will make sure to send this comment to Roberto, you were very lucky they were able to do that, as for many reasons we are not always able to.

We would be happy to see you back home soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

From the moment we arrived at Secrets we knew this was going to be a great trip and we were not disappointed. There are so many excellent attributes to this resort it is hard to do it justice in a few short sentences but here goes:

Resort - the buildings, landscape of the resort are excellent and constantly exclude class and quality
Rooms - We had a swim out room which i would definitely recommend. Being in a group of 3 couples meant we could often retreat to our own swim out rooms for a bit of relaxation away from the busier main pools each evening. The rooms are also cleaned very well and kept in a good state
Service - Being in a swim out room meant we had our own concierge who was very helpful in sorting out the small things we didnt want to worry about - contacting our pick up company, arranging late check out, chasing room service one time when we couldnt get through. However, having said that, the service around the entire resort is of the highest quality. Sometimes the bar staff get a bit bogged down given the resort was very busy when we went (think 90% full we were told), but they did their best to get round to everyone in good time.
Restaurants - the restaurants here really do not come across as what i would normally expect as all inclusive. Everything bar breakfast and lunch are a la carte and the quality and range (most have separate veggie options for those that require) of the food is exceptional in all the restaurants. I would definitely advice any groups to try the chefs table in the Japanese restaurant just for the experience
Facilities - The facilities here are brilliant. There is so much to do in this resort - beach & pool volleyball, tennis, football, archery, spanish lessons, trampoline bungee, table tennis, mini golf etc...the list is endless. I do not think i have done so much exercise on a 'relaxing' holiday in my life. The resort/entertainment team also arranged a wide number of evening activities (one night a disco/drinks on the beach) that keep you well occupied. The resort even has its own nightclub for those that fancy it. You really never have to leave this resort as it has everything you could possible want on site.

All of these combined make for a brilliant stay. However, what made our trip complete was the attitude and personalities of the entertainment team. The activities in the resort are so well organised and co-ordinated and their personalities really made our trip so much more enjoyable. The team really add a sense of fun to the entire resort and create a great atmosphere for the guests to socialise. A special mention must go to Ivan, Israel, Ferminator, Gabby, Diana who really are amazing staff and people we will never forget due to the impact they had on our stay. I must also say a special thanks to Osvaldo by the pool who introduced us to an amazing cocktail (choccoretta) that we are having big issues trying to re-create. He was constantly on hand to make sure we were well looked after and really made a difference when relaxing by the main pool.

Anyone going to the cancun/PDC area really should stay in this resort...i cannot speak highly enough of it. We will definitely be returning some time in the future and hope it is half as good as the trip we just had.

Room Tip: We had a swim out room - which comes with a pool at the back of your bedroom. I would advise these s...
7  Thank sunit1000
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

What a wonderful review! We appreciate your comments and can not wait to have you back!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our second trip to Secrets Maroma Beach, was as wonderful as the first. We elected to skip the swim out room for a longer stay and it was worth the extra days. The rooms all have the same floor plan, and there were no surprises, the room was comfortable and clean and roomy. We just love this place, the service all over the resort is wonderful, the adults only concept makes for a completely relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We spend 10 nights on this visit and will struggle to make our future stays any shorter. We definitely renting the beach bed for the day, that was one of the most relaxing days we had, the service was great and the beach beautiful. Bordeaux is our new favorite restaurant, we ate there twice during our stay we liked the choices and the quality of food and service so much. Portofino is also amazing. We tried the molecular dinner at the World Café, and were very impressed with the food. We like new things and this fit the bill (you do have to have an expanded pallet and be willing to try different/new things). Dinner did take over 2 hours to get through the courses, so don't have any evening plans.
Thanks to the EXCELLENTE Entertainment staff as always they did a great job of creating activities for all to enjoy. The angry birds contest on the beach on July 4th was terrific and all who participated had a blast. We took advantage of the kitchen tour and my wife and I were the only two that showed up, so we got a private kitchen tour and it was amazing to see "behind the scenes" of the resort and to see all the work that goes into supplying food all day and night and the care the resort takes to ensure quality, speed and consistency.
We took advantage on this trip of the Spa and we signed up for the couples massage package, OMG! What a Spa, loved the pre treatment sauna, vapor and pool time and the massages were simply awesome. Other guests had told us this was one of the best Spa's in Mexico and we now believe them. A wonderful experience in every detail, they take great care of you and worth every penny......
We loved how the entertainment staff has incorporated evening activities onto the beach (take advantage of your strength), the music on the beach nights were awesome, a great breeze, nice music and drinks make for an awesome end to the day.
The fire show on July 4th was spectacular, including the side of the building into the show was terrific, along with the piano player in the middle of the pool. Made for a wonderful outdoor evening.
The Mexican tradition shows and buffets were wonderful (hit it twice during our stay- liked the show done at the pool better, just based on the location)
The beach as usual is to die for.. This is the best beach we have ever seen in our travels.
The dirty monkey is now my new favorite drink.. Can someone serve those to my desk? Ok, guess not, now another reason to come back.

Well I could go on for hours about how much we love this place, but I think you get the idea.
This was our second trip in two years and now see how other people say they have been 5, 6, 7 times, for once you go, you start planning/saving for the next trip.
Secrets, cant wait for the next visit.

Room Tip: We have stayed in building 15 on both trips and the rooms are great, we were on the second floor thi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jblaks1

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the great review and five star rating! We are very happy you chose us again and hope to see you for the third time very soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

IMy boyfriend and I spent 6 night at Secrets Maroma Beach in May 2014. It was without a doubt the best resort I've ever been to....I've travelled extensively for both work and pleasure for most of my adult life and this is at the top of my list now for vacation resorts !.
The grounds were beautiful ! Beautiful trees and birds everywhere as well as some interesting little animals scurrying around :)We had a Jr Suite swim up room and loved it !
The food was fantastic ! I'm gluten free and vegan and they made every effort to find something on the menu for me to eat at every meal ! Breakfast is fantastic !! omelette station and crepe station, incredible choices of fresh fruit....outstanding !
The service at all of the restaurants was amazing !!
Our room was very nice and the bathroom was huge with 2 sinks and lots of room for both of us to get ready at the same time .
The beach was absolutely beautiful ! you can walk forever and the sand is white and soft ! Some days it was a bit windy but we just got a cabana. Water was warm and most days we could swim no problem...one day it was just a bit too wavy for us to go in....others did swim though.
We had the most amazing personal concierge, Fernanda ! She couldn't do enough for us !! Neither of us drink alcohol so Fernanda made sure we had a fridge full of water and lots of Nespresso coffee ! She also made sure all of the restaurants new that I was gluten free in advance.
The entertainment was wonderful at night and they always have movies playing in the huge theatre
with very comfy seats .
They have beautiful, relaxing, ambient music playing through speakers in the ground throughout the property.
The spa is amazing...we had an incredible massage.
We also had a fantastic massage on the beach just to the right of the Secrets resort ...not part of the resort , but very affordable and great !
The entertainment people were also very energetic and lots of fun, but never pressured us to take part in anything we didn't want to do.
The fitness room is great...we worked out several mornings there.
I can't say enough about this resort , and yes I did become an Unlimited vacation club member ! We will be going back in January for a week....I am counting down already !!!
I highly recommend this resort...it has something for everyone !!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CoachKel

Dear guest,

We thank you for submitting your review and look forward having you back in a few months. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate on sending us an email.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!