“WONDERFUL LONG WEEKEND” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Northampton, Pennsylvania
“WONDERFUL LONG WEEKEND”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I decided we needed a few days to relax and unwind from our 7 day a week home business. We picked the perfect place. The beach is beautiful, even if there was a lot of sea grass in the ocean. They had crews cleaning it up off the beach every day. Great service in all depts, and very friendly and helpful. The only reason I give this a 4, some of the restaurants food was not up to par. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was very good though. We didn't see any of the shows, as the few we wanted to check out were not performed during our short stay. Overall, we had a fantastic time. We love the the AM Resorts products. We love that you can go to dinner without making reservations ahead of time. I don't know why all resorts can't do the same.. I guess if they are large resorts, resv are needed, but they should have more restaurants then the smaller resorts. I think this resort was the perfect size. We could get a palapa and 2 chairs any time of the day on the beach. The pool was harder to do that, but we prefer the beach anyway. Wish we could have stayed longer, but back to work.

Location
3 Thank CHERYL B
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the review! I see you had a wonderful time and we would love to have the opportunity to take care of you soon.

info.semrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,325)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Wow! What can I say!? Secrets Maroma gave my husband & I the best honeymoon we could ever imagine. Absolute paradise! I was so sad to leave that if it hadn't been for the birth of our nephew, I probably would've demanded to stay at least another week.

The room was absolutely beautiful. We had a Junior Suite partial sea view (Block 24) & I can guarantee you, the view was still absolutely stunning especially when we woke up early for our visit to Tulum. I have never seen a sunrise like it, completely breathtaking. It was the little touches from the hotel which helped to make our honeymoon so enjoyable and memorable. The letter and champagne to welcome us, the champage breakfast was amazing as well. As a stereotypical Brit, I can't live without my cup of tea, I asked concierge for teabags & milk everyday at 5pm which was bought up without fail! We made the most of the jacuzzi, free room service & mini bar too (which was refilled daily). I recommend the beer battered chicken wings and pizza off the room service menu!

The beach is absolutely stunning, the sand is so soft on your feet, its like nothing I've ever experienced before. Due to the unseasonable hot and dry weather, there seemed to be a lot of seaweed which the staff were constantly trying to deal with. However, we decided to keep to the pool!

The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Everyone was always up for a chat and seeing what you were upto and so eager to please. We hardly had to leave our sunbed during the day as food and drink are all brought to you. We never struggled to find a sunbed either & even if you were struggling, the staff would soon be over and helping you to find one.

Entertainment was absolutely wonderful, there was always something to get involved with. My husband played pool volleyball which we really enjoyed. We also played a few games of crazy golf. We wanted to do the Kayak tour as well but sadly ran out of time.

The food was amazing and so much variety! We tried all the restaurants and enjoyed all of them! We mainly used the World Buffet in the morning for breakfast & the barefoot grill at lunch which we enjoyed everyday. We loved how there was something to suit everyone, on the days where we didn't fancy dressing up, we'd go to the World Buffet who had a different theme every night. Our favourite restaurants were the French & Asian Cuisine restaurants. We also took advice from tripadvisor and booked for teppenyaki which certainly didn't disappoint. We also treated ourselves to the romantic meal on the beach for an extra charge. The food was absolutely wonderful and the setting was beautiful. It is definitely a evening that I wont be forgetting in a hurry!

Finally, we decided to try out the spa which also was an extra charge. We did the couples massage and chocolate wrap. We also made the most of the spa facilities an hour before our treatments, they had various jacuzzis for different parts of your body - great fun. The couples massage was brilliant and so relaxing, we got taken back to the relaxation room to wait for our chocolate wrap. After waiting half an hour, I'm not sure what happened but they must've forgotten about us. After chatting with a member of staff, they apologised and managed to fit us in. Simple mistake and not a problem for us. Although the chocolate wrap was lovely, I wish we'd done the treatments on separate days.

If you're looking for the perfect romantic honeymoon then look no further than Secrets Maroma, they have got it completely sussed. We'll be recommending it to all our friends and family! Infact, my parents are already planning their visit after hearing all about it! Absolutely wonderful resort! Thank you Secrets Maroma for making our honeymoon the most incredible and memorable we could've ever imagined!

Room Tip: We were Block 24 with a junior suite partial sea view and we were very happy with our room!
      Location
3 Thank Bexfizz
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments, for the five stars rating and for the tips to other travelers!
We are happy that both of you enjoyed your honeymoon, and had a wonderful vacation in our resort.
Please, don't forget to contact us when you decide to come back to your new home.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I had booked a week Anniversary trip at Secrets Maroma after finding an online deal seemingly too good to pass up. Sure we read the reviews here and other places but being this would be our first full all-inclusive we really didn't know to suspect and we're somewhat apprehensive because we normally like to experience local flavor when we travel. This would be a new experience and the previous year a travel agent stirred us away from an all-inclusive because she felt we wouldn't be happy. To set this up my wife and I spent our 10th anniversary in the. British V.I. At the Little Dix Bay Resort the year previous which was a great experience, (we paid for it too.)

As someone being somewhat skeptical of traveling to Cancun (and Mexico as a whole,) arriving in the airport was quite the experience. Avoid the porters which will 'assist' you immediately; we had arranged ground transport to Secrets from Cancun airport via. USA Transfers (excellent operation, if you go use these guys,) they were exactly where they said they would be waiting for us. After a brief 5 min wait our driver picked us up and off we went in a private shuttle to the resort. The trip took about 40 min, Secrets actually shares a 'slice' of beach property with several other resorts but the drive to Secrets off the highway is another 5 mins. Pulling up the resort doesn't look all that special, the water feature out front is simple but elegant and that theme runs throughout the resort. Inside, more elegance than simple, since we had an 'executive club' room, we were greeted by a hotel staff who took us by golf cart through the lush and well maintained grounds to the executive club office where we had check-in. We were early, arriving at 12:30 with check-in not until 3; early check-in wasn't a problem but the room they had set aside (communicated that it was an anniversary trip,) wasn't ready for us. The concierge offered for us to have lunch and relax for a couple of hours and to meet us back at 2:30; she then walked us to the Oceanside cafe and arranged us to be seated right away. Lunch was simple but fantastic, pork tacos for me and ceviche for my wife along with some appetizers. We sat and enjoyed fresh Mojitos, (no cheap pre-mixes here,) until we decided to explore around some.

This is a fairly new resort but it is maintained immaculately, natural settings are combine with simple but elegant water features. While it's a pretty large resort, it doesn't feel like it as one can walk to just about anywhere in 5 or so mins. We meet up with our concierge at 2:15 to take us to our room, greeted at the door was a tasteful "Happy Anniversary" banner welcome us 'home.' The room was nicely appointed, very clear and modern with just a touch of Latin decor. We had a room in the 26 building (rm 2644,) that had an nicer edible view of the beach, ocean, pool and grounds; the balcony even had a soaking tub. A Nepresso coffee machine, very comfortable bed and a jetted tub completed the pkg. Again, simple elegance but the room is not the gem here by any means. Service is by far, even down to grounds-keepers go out of their way to say 'hola' and helpful. Case in point, I had lost my beach hat into the third day and the entire resort was looking for it and out building concierge would give me daily updates.

Food at the restaurants were awesome with the Italian place (Portofino,) being the best. The osso buco was some of the best I've had anywhere. We rated the restaurants as Italian, Mexican, French, Seafood/Chop house; we did eat a dinner buffet of Mexican one night which was 'good' but not great. One downside is the restaurants 'upstairs' men have to wear long pants so if you go make sure you pack at least a couple pairs. Food portions are a bit small, (even by European standards,) but you can always order more; my wife and I routinely ordered two entrees or split a third. Drinks are poured pretty heavily, including house wines so watch yourself. Average wait for the restaurants was about an hour so plan accordingly.

Entertainment is lively but not over-bearing, you can do as much or as little as you want. The have a very active entertainment team that starts about 10:30 and runs into the night. Daily games of beach and pool volleyball, water gambling, kayak races and even a nightclub are there if you want them. The main lobby has a number of lounges for those that want to chill and outside of the lobby is another set of tables and couches to relax and socialize; a small but decent humidor is onsite as well if you want a good cigar. Beside the lobby is a coffee shop with nice Rancillo espresso machines that put out a good 'shot' or latte.

The beach is visually beautiful, the waters are a bluish green but there is a lot of seaweed at least the week were we there. Locals said it was bad due to recent weather but that area has a lot of seaweed. That said the resort does a good job of cleaning it up multiple times a day. Just outside the main pool and on the beach, they have 'rope beds' that have sheets on the side and top; catching a nap there with the constant breeze blowing is great.

The Spa is fantastic but a bit overpriced; the have daily specials that can ease the costs some but hey you're not paying for food or drinks.

Tipping is not required there but a few dollars here and there gets you even better service over what everyone else gets. Take a bunch on dollars/Euros/Pounds/ets and you'll see what I mean.

Coming from the previous year at Little Dix Bay we were not expecting to be blown away by service but we were. This review is getting a bit long-winded and while I could go on, let me just say this place is near perfect. There were a few quibbles, the on-site dive operation left a lot to be desired (not affiliated with Secrets,) and you needed to get to the beach/pool early to get a prime spot but those are quibbles.

Would we go back, yes absolutely in fact we're thinking of booking a Spring trip with our Toddler to their nearby Dreams Tulum resort. Secrets is Adults-Only and there's mostly Honeymooners and Anniversary types, Dreams is setup to accommodate smaller children. Are you reading this review deciding if you go to Secrets Maroma? If so, just book it it confidence but be warned you may be spoiled.

Room Tip: As for a room in the 26 building
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
8 Thank Sean W
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments and tips!
Fo us is a pleasure to serve you. We look forward to seeing you soon, don't forget to contact us for your next visit.

Romina Pizutti
NEWARK, DELAWARE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed here for the 5th time in June and as expected it was over the top great !! The service and food are top of the line in every way. The management and general staff go out of the way to make the vacation a wonderful experience. Won't stay anyplace else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
4 Thank Chris B
Dear guest,

We are glad that every time you come home you have good experiences, for us it is a pleasure to serve you, and we look forward seeing you for the 6th time.

Hudson, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon in June. We had an unbelievable time even with sub-par weather. The entertainment team was so great. Most notably Fernando (Sasquatch), Jordan, and Israel. The food and service was always great, there were so many different restaurants we stayed 7 nights and always had new things to try. There was a bar anywhere you were on the resort. The night concerts and shows were very good, and we loved hanging out with the entertainment team during the days doing pool volleyball, kayak tours, guacamole and cocktail lessons, bungee trampolines, and much more. There are a ton of pool and oceanside chairs that are shaded so you can spend all day drinking by the pool. The swim-up bar is a really nice commodity. The breakfast buffet was great and room service 24/7. Hit up the concierge for a reservation to the Hibachi restaurant. We ate there the last night and it was the best meal of the week. This place was expensive, but you will not regret it if you book here.

Room Tip: We had a honeymoon suite with a partial ocean view. Noise was never an issue.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jeff M
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, we want our guests entertaining at all times and to enjoy our delicious food. We hope to serve you back soon!

Lexington, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Secrets Maroma beach is a breath-takingly, beautiful hotel offering numerous amenities. Our elegant, well-appointed room was dressed in gorgeous marble tile with luxurious bedding and many creature comforts. Our bath included a relaxing jacuzzi, large shower area and private toilet. Bottles with generous amounts of aromatic bath gel, shampoo, silky smooth body lotion and mild face and bath soaps were offered every day. The incredibly comfortable bed was turned down each evening and a treat of yummy chocolates was left on our pillows. Our walk-out room featured a comfortable seating area, desk, flat screen TV and patio which stepped down to a 4 ft. deep pool, shared by about 6 other rooms. Floating in this pool was so relaxing and peaceful...the ultimate getaway. The large pool near the beach showcased a swim-up bar, but the service was great no matter where you went. I have a disability (MS) and the hotel graciously gave me a wheelchair to use during our stay. This made air travel much easier and gave me the assurance that I would have a set of "wheels" to rely on at Maroma Beach. Our son and daughter-in-law were married on the snow white sand looking out on an azure sea. This was an amazing backdrop for their sweet, touching ceremony. The reception was held by the pool with a surf and turf menu. The only disappointment was in the wedding food. The dinner was less than acceptable and the dessert and wedding cake were not edible. Generally we found the food about average except for breakfast which was good. Freddy did a wonderful job of serving us...he is to be commended for making us feel like family. He has a great personality. Our concierge Mariando (I think) was helpful, took care of the details, and so nice, a very likeable guy. This was an expensive trip for us, but we would not have missed our only son's marriage to the woman he loves. This was our first trip to Mexico and I believe we may return one day to the beautiful beaches of Cancun where warmth, relaxation, and celebrations abound. Ahhhhhh! Bueno!

Room Tip: Our swim out room was quiet and mostly private. The pool was shared by about 6 rooms so it was almo...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Margaret K
E-Concierge S, Public Relations Manager at Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We hope to see you back in our resort. Please contact us when you are ready to return!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We were at this Secrets Resort for a family wedding. I thought it was quite pricey but it was all inclusive. The staff were all extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful. The room was very nice but alot of the things in our room were broken or not working and we were moved to another room on day 2. A variety of food venue was available. I would say the food was ok but I have had much better. The liquor was better brands. The pools were nice. The wedding was on the beach, it was 94° out and with no shade a few of us older folk had some issues with the sun and heat. Overall we enjoyed this resort.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bdnita
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments and we are very happy you´ve enjoyed the resort. We feel our prices are very comepetitive with similar properties that offer the same service and quality. I will invite you to send me an email and we can send you information on our offers and promotions.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Maroma
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,943 reviews
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,848 reviews

Been to Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!